Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's not an article, it's a blog post!
    It is also not fact checked so could be full of crap.
    Hence, I won't read it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

It's not an article, it's a blog post!
    It is also not fact checked so could be full of crap.
    Hence, I won't read it!

This comes out of the result of a study by the KU Leuven (Belgium) and TU Eindhoven (Netherlands). (1)(2)(3)

say they actually might know something, and you should learn some manners , just because you are a mod doesn't mean you can be a dick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

A) It's a simulation and B) it seems to assume that walkers/joggers/cyclists are continuously coughing or sneezing.

Frankly, I think I'd want to be more than 2 metres from someone who is constantly coughing or sneezing whether they are in motion or stationary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

plodder wrote: »
    A) It's a simulation and B) it seems to assume that walkers/joggers/cyclists are continuously coughing or sneezing.

no, just constantly breathing

• Advertisement

no, just constantly breathing
    It says breathing, coughing or sneezing. Bit of a difference between the three.

I clicked on the last of the three links and there is no information as to how they calculate the amount of "droplets" that are coming out of your mouth relative to the volume of air. The performance models that they seem to hanging it all off don't care about this question.

I think it's scaremongering BS frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It says breathing, coughing or sneezing. Bit of a difference between the three.

the 2 meter distancing thing is for people breathing regularly too. It makes sense that if you're running behind someone, being in the same spot that they were less than a second earlier, you might want to leave a bit more space, or not be directly behind them

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimmy Conway

Queuing to get into Tesco as I type, the guy behind me is within arms reach. Guess what... he’s a doctor from our lady of Lourdes Drogheda. (Name tag around his neck) I’ve just pulled him up on it and he made a joke about it! FFS!

I think we're going to be seeing more of this type of commentary about that so-called study.

[url]Https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v74az9/the-viral-study-about-runners-spreading-coronavirus-is-not-actually-a-study[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Queuing to get into Tesco as I type, the guy behind me is within arms reach. Guess what... he’s a doctor from our lady of Lourdes Drogheda. (Name tag around his neck) I’ve just pulled him up on it and he made a joke about it! FFS!
    You could just let him go ahead, so you get to set the distance, and he gets a bit more rest before his next shift.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

The reality is that sometimes you are going to be within arms reach of another person given how difficult is to actually achieve a constant 2 metre distance, its a general guideline - not an offence of any great nature once people are making an effort to adhere and manage it for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

sideways.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Bit late asking now. The whole hand washing thing. Does standard soap Versus Antibacterial soap matter?

Or will any soap do.

Bit late asking now. The whole hand washing thing. Does standard soap Versus Antibacterial soap matter?

Or will any soap do.

Any soap. There's basically a layer of lipid/fat on the outside of the virus, which soap breaks up ... (explanation may be inaccurate, see below)

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/why-soap-can-kill-coronavirus-and-how-its-discovery-changed-human-history-1.4210184

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Hi,
    I am having an issue with social distancing.
    Joggers come from behind and don't give 2M.
    I bring the kids out for a cycle and in local park there's a pedestrian in the middle of the path who won't move when asked because they have their headphones so loud they can't hear. I just end up arguing with people.

So, I am thinking of getting a speaker for my bike with samples from Leo Varadkar asking people to social distance and then just play it. Need a little bit of help - ideally would just like a button and then boom we're rocking.

Any ideas? let me know if another forum could help.

Thanks

Say it to the joggers to keep 2 metres away. Use (some form of) sign language with the pedestrian listening to their ear phones. It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

Hi,
    I bring the kids out for a cycle and in local park there's a pedestrian in the middle of the path who won't move when asked because they have their headphones so loud they can't hear. I just end up arguing with people.

So, I am thinking of getting a speaker for my bike with samples from Leo Varadkar asking people to social distance and then just play it. Need a little bit of help - ideally would just like a button and then boom we're rocking.

Thanks

bikes on paths in parks don't make sense these days

Say it to the joggers to keep 2 metres away. Use (some form of) sign language with the pedestrian listening to their ear phones. It's not rocket science.

OK smarty pants. Today I had the kids out for a cycle in local park. Pedestrian was walking ahead in the middle of the only path and wouldn't move despite me saying there was a few cyclists behind several times. She was in her own world with the headphones blaring. Couldn't hear or see me.

So need a better solution.

Roads too dangerous for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yep antibacterial wipes. Probably not perfect but better than nothing.

Viruses are not bacteria.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

Hi,

Thanks

Agree on joggers but paths aren't for bikes. They're too fast and speed up behind people constantly breaking the 2m rule, had a family come up behind me ring their bells ans proceed to pass within less than 50cm of me and lots others. It is extremely frustrating. People should be able to walk and you should be collectively avoiding people or not going there on bikes at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

Roads too dangerous for the kids.

People need to be able to walk safely. If you csnt avoid people and keep 2m distance on bikes yourselves then choose a quieter time or leave the bikes. Pedestrian has right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

bikes on paths in general dont make sense these days

if an adult comes towards me on a bike on a path I will not move aside to let them pass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

What I observed yesterday, living in North inner city whilst out for a perimeter cycle
    - the canal from phibsboro end to drumcondra absolutely packed, never seen it like that even on an all Ireland final day
    - Mountjoy Square Park, also packed full
    - Dorset Street overcrowded, no space for distancing
    - massive ques outside 2 separate off licences, worrying to think folk can't live without booze

I got stopped by a bicycle copper and asked him why are they stopping me but blatantly avoiding the canal and Mountjoy Square, his answer was that there weren't enough resources.

This weekend will be the one to bring the peak, no doubt about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

People need to be able to walk safely. If you csnt avoid people and keep 2m distance on bikes yourselves then choose a quieter time or leave the bikes. Pedestrian has right of way.

Yeah, the bikes in the park aren't conducive to 2m social distancing and are entirely at fault. Very irresponsible and ignorant to try to lay blame at the pedestrians.

People shouldnt be walking down the middle of a path either. Stick to one side so others can pass. I've seen a lot of families with small children out on bikes. I wouldnt have a problem with that in parks so long as they pass others slowly in single file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Stupid jogger was running down a busy pavement in Rathfarnham a couple of days ago weaving in and out of all the walkers trying to maintain a 2 mtr distance.
    Bloody idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

italodisco wrote: »
    What I observed yesterday, living in North inner city whilst out for a perimeter cycle
    - the canal from phibsboro end to drumcondra absolutely packed, never seen it like that even on an all Ireland final day
    - Mountjoy Square Park, also packed full
    - Dorset Street overcrowded, no space for distancing
    - massive ques outside 2 separate off licences, worrying to think folk can't live without booze

I got stopped by a bicycle copper and asked him why are they stopping me but blatantly avoiding the canal and Mountjoy Square, his answer was that there weren't enough resources.

This weekend will be the one to bring the peak, no doubt about it

Yes, not as bad as what you are describing but with the good weather of the past few days social distancing became optional on my street as well. Quite a lot of couples/families but also some small groups of people who clearly don’t look like they are from the same household. Things are different today with the weather going bad again.

I think the guards should start taking actual actions and sharing them in the media to set the mood straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes, not as bad as what you are describing but with the good weather of the past few days social distancing became optional on my street as well. Quite a lot of couples/families but also some small groups of people who clearly don’t look like they are from the same household. Things are different today with the weather going bad again.

I think the guards should start taking actual actions and sharing them in the media to set the mood straight.

there was a full on party going on 2 doors from us yesterday afternoon, definitely not the house owners just there and they were paralytic in the back garden with music blasting

Advertisement