Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Neighbours across the way from us, 3rd visit from children/grandchildren in a week, 2 parents and 2 kids in the one car, stayed over one night, very infuriating when you stay home and you have people breaking the rules. Has anyone actually contacted their local Garda station to report? Is there any point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

(Might have been discussed already).
    I am a runner. I always go out in to the middle of the road when I meet people and stick to quieter roads to make sure I can.
    Largely because the person I am going to meet is inevitably a bell-end with their head buried in a phone not looking where they are walking in the middle of the footpath.
    Social distancing works both ways but I am going to start running straight past these morons who don't seem to think they play a part too.
    This is a frustration both when I am bringing my daughter for a walk and when I am running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Every evening now the local drug dealers host a large rowdy gathering for a few hours at the entrance to the park. They are always there in normal times, but usually just 3-5 of them and keep to themselves. Now, it's 15-20, loud music, shouting, fighting etc. People having to squeeze past them and they're so intimidating. Gardai doing nothing about it. Absolute scum left to do what they like. Meanwhile in the same park, individuals have been moved on for sitting on the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

(Might have been discussed already).
    I am a runner. I always go out in to the middle of the road when I meet people and stick to quieter roads to make sure I can.
    Largely because the person I am going to meet is inevitably a bell-end with their head buried in a phone not looking where they are walking in the middle of the footpath.
    Social distancing works both ways but I am going to start running straight past these morons who don't seem to think they play a part too.
    This is a frustration both when I am bringing my daughter for a walk and when I am running.

Sounds like a brain dead idea to me.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Every evening now the local drug dealers host a large rowdy gathering for a few hours at the entrance to the park. They are always there in normal times, but usually just 3-5 of them and keep to themselves. Now, it's 15-20, loud music, shouting, fighting etc. People having to squeeze past them and they're so intimidating. Gardai doing nothing about it. Absolute scum left to do what they like. Meanwhile in the same park, individuals have been moved on for sitting on the grass.

I would be calling the Gardaí on them every evening. If they get enough calls they'll deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Neighbours across the way from us, 3rd visit from children/grandchildren in a week, 2 parents and 2 kids in the one car, stayed over one night, very infuriating when you stay home and you have people breaking the rules. Has anyone actually contacted their local Garda station to report? Is there any point?

thats scandalous

I know someone who contacted gardai a few times and it didnt go anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Agree on joggers but paths aren't for bikes. They're too fast and speed up behind people constantly breaking the 2m rule, had a family come up behind me ring their bells ans proceed to pass within less than 50cm of me and lots others. It is extremely frustrating. People should be able to walk and you should be collectively avoiding people or not going there on bikes at all.

Agree. But it is a path in a public park and it is cycling with kids who are too young to be on the road. Law allows parent to cycle with kids on path as road too dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    thats scandalous

I know someone who contacted gardai a few times and it didnt go anywhere

There were 3 generation in the neighbour's garden yesterday. It boiled my blood, if I'm honest. We all have family and friends we want to see. Most of us are taking things seriously and staying away so it's infuriating to see people do whatever they like

There were 3 generation in the neighbour's garden yesterday. It boiled my blood, if I'm honest. We all have family and friends we want to see. Most of us are taking things seriously and staying away so it's infuriating to see people do whatever they like

Until we start fining people serious money, and start enforcing it, then we will struggle to get proper conformance.

Agree. But it is a path in a public park and it is cycling with kids who are too young to be on the road. Law allows parent to cycle with kids on path as road too dangerous.

Now is a great time to get kids used to cycling on the roads as it’s quieter than normal

• Advertisement

Now is a great time to get kids used to cycling on the roads as it’s quieter than normal

Agree with this, you will never get a better chance to teach your kids how to deal with minimal traffic there currently is.

Agree with this, you will never get a better chance to teach your kids how to deal with minimal traffic there currently is.

if I'm out walking with the missus, we will generally let a kid pass by on the path if cycling towards us, but if an adult is coming from either direction, we stand our ground

We have been hit on the arms, etc but I'm sorry, the path is not for cycling

They have been behind us for minutes ringing their bells but we wont move

I've always taught my boys to cycle on the road, as a driver I am always wary driving alongside a cyclist on a path as they tend to jump up and down off the path onto the road and vice versa
    At least on the road we have a mutual understanding

My younger lad once said that its ok him on the path as he sees the cars...my answer to that was unless you and the driver lock eyes on each other then he has not seen you and there is only one winner when a bike and car collide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

You mean on paths in parks? I presume that is subject to local byelaws/rules, and is often allowed, but it's not allowed for anyone to cycle on a regular footpath, alongside a road, except on marked cycle paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Ohio Department of Health ad explaining the effects of social distancing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

Is this a law? Are you as an adult not meant to supervise and walk alongside but stay on foot? I'd like to know the rules on this especially with regards to social distancing. Groups are dominating the path and making social distancing impossible for all others, which endangers everyone else's health. I can almost guarantee you and your family are coming up at speed behind people and passing them closer than 2 m, as is the nature to moving quickly but numerous people in a park. The government have stated 2m as a rule, are you and your family following this with every person as you come up behind them, beside them, around them? If not then you are breaking the most important rule ans need to stop. Those same people out for walks on their own are possibly living alone also and not seeing anybody and then have to deal with this rubbish while socially distancing themselves. It really is showing how self centred some people are to be honest. I hope you're respecting people ans actively ensuring you and each family member are 2m away from everyone. Otherwise you are part of the problem.

am I wrong or is the 2m social distance for people in close proximity for a specific period of time?

I honestly dont think walking passed someone within 2m for a split second is going to expose you to COVID-19 from their breath...

its not practical everywhere and if its not possible for that split second it doesnt bother me if I am within 2m

am I wrong or is the 2m social distance for people in close proximity for a specific period of time?

I honestly dont think walking passed someone within 2m for a split second is going to expose you to COVID-19 from their breath...

its not practical everywhere and if its not possible for that split second it doesnt bother me if I am within 2m

The rule is for everywhere and it's possible when you make a conscious effort. All pamphlets and signs say this and the parks have 2m lines painted. It basically is one person to each side of the path or possibly the road. Couples should be walking past people single file, yet most do not do this as they rather let the other person have to go even further to avoid people.

its not practical everywhere and if its not possible for that split second it doesnt bother me if I am within 2m[/quote

Can I also say all these rules are for you to also not infect others if you have it. I hope you're not thinking because it doesn't bother you that you don't need to follow the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

I think it's very unlikely you would catch it passing one person, but the chances go up the more people you might meet and the advice is that we should maintain 2 metre separation at all times. Part of the reason for advising people to stay at home as much as possible, queue for shops etc is so the 2 metres can be maintained when we do go outdoors.

But research is saying it can hang in the air for longer than they originally thought. Now I know that is probably meant for indoor environments such as supermarkets, but I think there is always the risk.
    I think err on the side of caution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

It's usually more practical than you might think, but a lot of the time people don't even try.

There is a very clear rule - stay two meters away from everyone at all times. Doesn't matter what anyone thinks or want to reinterpret.

- Walking/running towards someone on a narrow pavement - STOP and wait until its safe to pass using the road.
    - At a gate to a park and others using it - STOP and wait
    - At one end of a narrow supermarket aisle - STOP and wait until the person finished in that area of the supermarket (this one is especially important as its indoors).
    - Approaching someone walking slower than you, walk 2 meters around them until you are at least 2 meters in front.
    etc
    etc

The rule could not be simpler, but here we have over 800 posts, a lot of which are people trying to find ways around it or exceptions or debate.

Agree completely, the 2m rule is the rule, someone with kids cycling can't decide their cycling on path is more important, if you can't keep a 2m distance with the way you're travelling around, then it's not appropriate. Not seeing family or friends for a month is also not convenient for people but we are all doing it.

Just back from a walk with the missus

Most couples out walking are usually going single file when approaching as we do

We generally tend to stick to the right of the paths at all times

One dog walker decided to approach walking on our side with dog 2m away and leash blocking full path

We stopped, waited for her to make her decision, either reel up the dog leash and walk the opposite side or reel it up and let us pass on our left

Instead walks straight at us, reels it up at last second and then walks practically into us

Must have only been about 20

Don’t get me started on the man walking his dog off the leash and stood there while he took a crap in the grass and walked away

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why is moving around while trying to keep 2 metres distance safer then being stationary while trying to keep 2 metres distance

why is moving around while trying to keep 2 metres distance safer then being stationary while trying to keep 2 metres distance

It isn't. It's about making sure people know you can't go out for a lounge around. Get out only when you need to go out for essential work, food, medicine or brief exercise, don't dick around and get back home quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

It isn't. It's about making sure people know you can't go out for a lounge around. Get out only when you need to go out for essential work, food, medicine or brief exercise, don't dick around and get back home quickly.

its not lounging around, its getting outdoors, getting sunlight, its not about getting a tan and not everyone has access to outdoors space with direct sunlight.

Trinity College study says Vitamin D could help fight against Covid-19 infections https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/trinity-college-study-says-vitamin-d-could-help-fight-against-covid-19-infections-991944.html Vitamin D can maintain your muscle strength while you are cocooning https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/vitamin-d-can-maintain-your-muscle-strength-while-you-are-cocooning-39102040.html

Vitamin D deficiency in Ireland –implications for COVID-19.Results from The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing (TILDA)
    Vitamin D Status of Older Adults in Ireland in Winter .................................54. Vitamin D Status of Older Adults in Ireland in Summer ............................115. Vitamin D Status by Obesity and Respiratory Lung Conditions
    https://tilda.tcd.ie/publications/reports/pdf/Report_Covid19VitaminD.pdf
    18Overall, obese older adults had much higher rates of vitamin D deficiency both in winter and summer (Figures 6-7). During winter, rates of vitamin D deficiency in the obese were 27.3% for those aged 55+ and 35.3% for those aged 70+ compared to 20.8% and 27.0% respectively for those not obese. Similar trends were also observed during summer. In those reporting chronic lung disease (such as chronic bronchitis or emphysema), the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency was significantly higher than those not reporting disease across the age groups both in winter and summer (Figures 8-9). For instance in those aged >55 years, the prevalence in winter of deficiency was 33.8% in those with lung conditions vs 22.7% with no conditions. Similar trends were observed in 70+ age group where rates were 32 vs 29.9% in winter and 16.9 vs 12.3% in summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

its not lounging around, its getting outdoors, getting sunlight, its not about getting a tan and not everyone has access to outdoors space with direct sunlight.

Trinity College study says Vitamin D could help fight against Covid-19 infections https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/trinity-college-study-says-vitamin-d-could-help-fight-against-covid-19-infections-991944.html Vitamin D can maintain your muscle strength while you are cocooning https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/vitamin-d-can-maintain-your-muscle-strength-while-you-are-cocooning-39102040.html

Vitamin D deficiency in Ireland –implications for COVID-19.Results from The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing (TILDA)
    Vitamin D Status of Older Adults in Ireland in Winter .................................54. Vitamin D Status of Older Adults in Ireland in Summer ............................115. Vitamin D Status by Obesity and Respiratory Lung Conditions

Unfortunately going outdoors longer than necessary is still riskier than a lack of vitamin D from sunlight. There are other means of getting vitamin D that are less risky.

Sure. Take a multivitamin if you're worried about vitamin D or any other vitamin or Mineral. Very important. But if you're not moving from place to place, then you're acting the maggot. Get out, do the biz and go home. Sitting around and catching some rays, isn't a reason to be out of the house.

Just back from doing the shop. Most people are pretty good at keeping distance. Funnily enough, the two people who walked from behind and right past me, like shoulder to shoulder while I was waiting to get into the shop, were people wearing masks.

It’s just anecdotal but I wouldn’t be surprised if people become complacent when they have PPE. You’d think someone who goes to the trouble of getting a mask would be the more careful people. But it actually seems to have the opposite effect on some people.

• Advertisement

I'm confused, why are people wearing masks when out walking in fresh air?

I passed 2 people earlier, out together, walking 2m apart and having a conversation as they walked both wearing masks and rubber gloves

Advertisement