Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Just back from doing the shop. Most people are pretty good at keeping distance. Funnily enough, the two people who walked from behind and right past me, like shoulder to shoulder while I was waiting to get into the shop, were people wearing masks.

It’s just anecdotal but I wouldn’t be surprised if people become complacent when they have PPE. You’d think someone who goes to the trouble of getting a mask would be the more careful people. But it actually seems to have the opposite effect on some people.

Yep, we were out for a walk last night and met 2 people with masks on, we had a buggy and as we got closer it was clear they weren't for moving out onto the road, so we had to push the buggy out there instead.

Re the Vitamin D thing - I'm not a chemist but I don't think you get that much vitamin D from sunlight, unless you are walking around starkers. The vast majority still comes from food as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I'm confused, why are people wearing masks when out walking in fresh air?

I passed 2 people earlier, out together, walking 2m apart and having a conversation as they walked both wearing masks and rubber gloves

I can give my personal exemple: the few times my GF and I went grocery shopping together we just put on the masks when leaving the apartment and took them off once back inside. I.e. we could have been the people you came across combining a short walk and a trip to the shop :-)

Reason for doing this is that as you said mostly the shop and to some extend the common areas of the building are the "risk" area. But once I'm out and about, I don't want to constantly be putting on and taking off the mask: there could be something I touched which had virus on it, and I don't have any easy way to properly store the mask while I am walking. So I just consider the whole trip as a "risk" event and make sure I handle the mask in the best conditions whereby I can easily wash my hands properly and store the most properly for reusing it.

And to be honest, I walk on some narrow sidewalks with quite a few joggers, so while it is possibly overkill I do see the mask as a nice extra.

But that is my use case - agree in advance that it doesn't apply to someone just going for a walk in a quiet neighbourhood with no-one else around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Bob24 wrote: »
    I can give my personal exemple: the few times my GF and I went grocery shopping together we just put on the masks when leaving the apartment and took them off once back inside. I.e. we could have been the people you came across combining a short walk and a trip to the shop :-)

Reason for doing this is that as you said mostly the shop and to some extend the common areas of the building are the "risk" area. But once I'm out and about, I don't want to constantly be putting on and taking off the mask: there could be something I touched which had virus on it, and I don't have any easy way to properly store the mask while I am walking. So I just consider the whole trip as a "risk" event and make sure I handle the mask in the best conditions whereby I can easily wash my hands properly and store the most properly for reusing it.

And to be honest, I walk on some narrow sidewalks with quite a few joggers, so while it is possibly overkill I do see the mask as a nice extra.

But that is my use case - agree in advance that it doesn't apply to someone just going for a walk in a quiet neighbourhood with no-one else around.

these 2 are definitely going out for a stroll as we pass them a few times as we are on a loop with the restrictions

from what I heard, a mask doesnt stop you from getting the virus as it can just as easy get in through the eyes

the mask is for someone who has it and stop spreading it......from coughing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

these 2 are definitely going out for a stroll as we pass them a few times as we are on a loop with the restrictions

from what I heard, a mask doesnt stop you from getting the virus as it can just as easy get in through the eyes

It would be ideal if everyone wore masks (and had masks to wear). Good on those people.

An FFP2 mask definitely reduces the chances of contracting the virus if used properly. But yes it is not 100% protection as indeed the eyes are another entry vector for the virus (but really the nose and moth are the main ones so a good respirator used properly significantly reduces the chances of infection).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Bob24 wrote: »
    An FFP2 mask definitely reduces the chances of contracting the virus if used properly. But yes it is not 100% protection as indeed the eyes are another entry vector for the virus (but really the nose and moth are the main ones so a good respirator used properly significantly reduces the chances of infection).

Has it jumped species again! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

I'm confused, why are people wearing masks when out walking in fresh air?

I passed 2 people earlier, out together, walking 2m apart and having a conversation as they walked both wearing masks and rubber gloves

They make you feel like you are the problem. Haha, we all feel like that when we encounter face mask people. Face masks are not the problem. They are not increasing the problem. Let them wear face masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭chicorytip

kenmm wrote: »
    It's usually more practical than you might think, but a lot of the time people don't even try.

There is a very clear rule - stay two meters away from everyone at all times. Doesn't matter what anyone thinks or want to reinterpret.

- Walking/running towards someone on a narrow pavement - STOP and wait until its safe to pass using the road.
    - At a gate to a park and others using it - STOP and wait
    - At one end of a narrow supermarket aisle - STOP and wait until the person finished in that area of the supermarket (this one is especially important as its indoors).
    - Approaching someone walking slower than you, walk 2 meters around them until you are at least 2 meters in front.
    etc
    etc

The rule could not be simpler, but here we have over 800 posts, a lot of which are people trying to find ways around it or exceptions or debate.
    In certain situations maintaining two metres distance apart is downright difficult. Supermarkets are the prime example. The aisles are narrow and pushing a trolley takes up more space. Outside taking exercise: none of us has the ability to see around corners. You are liable to bump into somebody accidentally. Footpaths, again, tend to be narrow so oftentimes it is necessary to step onto the road to avoid close contact with oncomers. People are understandably a little anxious about doing this. There is still traffic about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

chicorytip wrote: »
    In certain situations maintaining two metres distance apart is downright difficult. Supermarkets are the prime example. The aisles are narrow and pushing a trolley takes up more space. Outside taking exercise: none of us has the ability to see around corners. You are liable to bump into somebody accidentally. Footpaths, again, tend to be narrow so oftentimes it is necessary to step onto the road to avoid close contact with oncomers. People are understandably a little anxious about doing this. There is still traffic about.

I think the important factor here is patience. Waiting for others to finish, waiting in a driveway for someone to pass etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

chicorytip wrote: »

It is difficult, but some people need to try harder - and of course accidents will happen but equally:

- Stepping onto the road means stopping, checking for traffic and then stepping out to pass someone and I don't see enough of that.

- I see people in supermarkets reaching over others to browse products - shouldn't be doing that. Or if someone is collecting something mid aisle and trolley blocking, you need to wait until it is clear (or vice versa, don't spend ages browsing products if you can help it, as others may be waiting).

- Yes, you can't see around a corner, but equally you aren't running full-pelt around it as well..

Everyone needs to accept that even little things like shopping and walking around someone will take much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think the important factor here is patience. Waiting for others to finish, waiting in a driveway for someone to pass etc.

Completely agree. And I've found it easier to spot the areas where I need to be patient to avoid coming into contact with anyone.

I think joggers will need to have a think about it too. I know they will want to keep going and improve their pace, but They will need to see it more as getting their exercise safely rather than just do their run uninterrupted. For instance where you say we need to wait for others to pass to maintain social distance, joggers will need to do the same. They can jog on the spot or jog with high knees to keep their heart rate up. for that matter they could do whatever they like to keep their heart rate up - jumping jacks, burpees, press ups. But I think joggers need to have a think about how they maintain social distance.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But I think joggers need to have a think about how they maintain social distance.
    I don't want to drag this into a joggers vs others but in my experience as a walker, jogger and cyclist during the lockdown, it is usually walkers who don't provide space.
    When cycling, I use the roads but will still make sure to give at least 2m when passing pedestrians (sometimes pedestrians can be on the road if they're passing other pedestrians). Other people on bikes that I've seen do the same.
    If I'm out running, I will move onto the road because I can't assume that the walkers will move over.
    When I'm walking, too often people walking towards me don't change their line. These can be people on their own or walking in groups. I and my OH might move over but the gesture isn't reciprocated.

I'm not disputing what you've witnessed but let's call a spade a spade - if someone is ignorant not to provide the 2m distance then they'll do it no matter whether they're walking or running.
    These are not "walkers" or "joggers" - they're just pricks!

I don't want to drag this into a joggers vs others but in my experience as a walker, jogger and cyclist during the lockdown, it is usually walkers who don't provide space.
    When cycling, I use the roads but will still make sure to give at least 2m when passing pedestrians (sometimes pedestrians can be on the road if they're passing other pedestrians). Other people on bikes that I've seen do the same.
    If I'm out running, I will move onto the road because I can't assume that the walkers will move over.
    When I'm walking, too often people walking towards me don't change their line. These can be people on their own or walking in groups. I and my OH might move over but the gesture isn't reciprocated.

I'm not disputing what you've witnessed but let's call a spade a spade - if someone is ignorant not to provide the 2m distance then they'll do it no matter whether they're walking or running.
    These are not "walkers" or "joggers" - they're just pricks!

Yeah that's grand. I said "I think joggers will need to have a think about it too". Too, meaning in addition to people walking. I stand by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Acosta

I live right next to a road where there is a footpath on both sides but only houses on one side. It wrecks my bloody head that I must peek outside the door to make sure there's nobody coming before going outside, after a few close encounters with people walking and running.

I go out for the odd walk and run too, but if on a road with a load of terraced houses on one side and nothing on the other side I GO TO THE OTHER SIDE. And if there's people on the other side I'll try to run on the road as there's so little traffic. You can't teach people about social distancing that have no commonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

Re the Vitamin D thing - I'm not a chemist but I don't think you get that much vitamin D from sunlight, unless you are walking around starkers. The vast majority still comes from food as far as I know.
    I'm not a chemist (or a biologist) but my understanding is that our pasty Irish skin is very sensitive to sunlight, and we are very efficient at getting Vitamin D from it. Also, that supplements are a less good source of it. I'm not sure how authoritative the site below is, but it says sunlight is the best source.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326167

Maybe this NHS page is better

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/how-to-get-vitamin-d-from-sunlight/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Acosta wrote: »
    It wrecks my bloody head that I must peek outside the door to make sure there's nobody coming before going outside, after a few close encounters with people walking and running.

This may be setting a new low in the order of trivial things to complain about.

Acosta wrote: »
    I live right next to a road where there is a footpath on both sides but only houses on one side. It wrecks my bloody head that I must peek outside the door to make sure there's nobody coming before going outside, after a few close encounters with people walking and running.

I go out for the odd walk and run too, but if on a road with a load of terraced houses on one side and nothing on the other side I GO TO THE OTHER SIDE. And if there's people on the other side I'll try to run on the road as there's so little traffic. You can't teach people about social distancing that have no commonsense.

In general people will get better about this kind of thing. There's absolutely no point waiting for everyone to get it. Some people would just never even consider doing things differently. It's like when people queue up on both sides of a double door and nobody thinks to use the other side of the door so people can go both ways through the door. You just have to wait until someone uses the second door and then everyone else follows.

I think there could be some public service announcements to help people to spot instances like the one you mention above.

Stark wrote: »

It is trivial but the point of people not thinking to cross the street to the empty footpath, is a more serious and practical issue

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Unfortunately going outdoors longer than necessary is still riskier than a lack of vitamin D from sunlight.
    I'm amazed at the amount of people who seem to think the air "outside" is different to the air "inside".

I think we'll see restrictions on outside activities lifted before long. The German police were moving people on from parks etc a few weeks ago, now they are thanking people for maintaining social distance and leaving them alone.

Stark wrote: »

Nothing trivial about social distancing.

However it might look slightly so when you cut the bulk of the point I was making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Was referring to you having to turn your head, not the social distancing.

quote="Stark;113154071"]Was referring to you having to turn your head, not the social distancing.[/quote]

As with all the other houses on the street there's no space between my front door and the footpath. It's not even a question of turning my head as people can already by right ontop of me once I open the door. It's simply frustrating when there's an empty footpath on the opposite side with nobody on it and no chance of someone walking out of their front door right into your path.
    Yes, there is a lot more major things going on, but this is a social distancing thread after all.

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm amazed at the amount of people who seem to think the air "outside" is different to the air "inside".

it is.....
    the air outside is refreshed a lot more than inside and has infinite volume, compared to inside which is a fixed volume and dependent on the air conditioning system/ventilation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

A friend of mine is driving 20km to a very rocky 'beach' in order to do some sea fishing in the evenings. He doesn't stop on the way and is always fishing on his own - it's a fairly remote stretch of shoreline in west Galway. He says it helps him relax. I don't have a problem with it personally but would others consider it reckless/selfish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

A friend of mine is driving 20km to a very rocky 'beach' in order to do some sea fishing in the evenings. He doesn't stop on the way and is always fishing on his own - it's a fairly remote stretch of shoreline in west Galway. He says it helps him relax. I don't have a problem with it personally but would others consider it reckless/selfish?

To me its a touch selfish (technically its kinda food shopping tho if he keeps the catch!)..

We all have sh!t that we would like to be doing that would involve either a drive or more than 30mins outside.. but the rules are in place and most of us aren't doing it.

The beach part that you put in quotes isnt so much the selfish part to me - it's the ~20 min drive in each direction.. if we all done that for our own little exception tot he rules, then roads would be busier etc..

The way you describe it, it doesn’t sound dangerous. Having said that he’s still breaking the rules everyone should be adhering to (and I don’t know his exact circumstances, but possibly if everyone else in the area was doing the same thing and creating their own little exception it could become a problem once all the small exceptions are put together, so in a way he can only enjoy this safely because others are following the rules and he is one of the few who aren’t).

So to answer your question, I’d personally say no to being reckless but yes to being selfish.

I suppose its down to the fact that there is a risk in the drive that if something happened to him, he would be an extra unnecessary person in an A&E or worse

The roads are quieter so less chance of an accident but at the moment its not considered necessary

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

To me its a touch selfish (technically its kinda food shopping tho if he keeps the catch!)..

We all have sh!t that we would like to be doing that would involve either a drive or more than 30mins outside.. but the rules are in place and most of us aren't doing it.

The beach part that you put in quotes isnt so much the selfish part to me - it's the ~20 min drive in each direction.. if we all done that for our own little exception to the rules, then roads would be busier etc..

Yeah fair point. I don't think he catches much. The odd gurnard or pollack maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Someone put it very well to me. I can think it's okay for me to do something because I'm the only one doing it but if everyone thinks the same then we end up back at square one with crowds everywhere, it's a fair point.

Also the chances of crashes increase. It's one of the pluses of this whole thing is very few have died on the roads.

The one death over the weekend was a young girl who was in a car with a young man so you can only guess they were out for an unnecessary reason as they crashed into a pole, no other car involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Most of us can justify travel to ourselves if we want. Like those on the N11 the other day, could have said "sure I am going to a house in Courtown, I won't go near anyone". But the problem is, they take that attitude, the next person takes an even more laissez faire attitude, the next person an even more laissez faire, and so on. Before you know it, everybody is just doing what they want.

I don't mind anybody out walking/cycling/running once they are doing their bit to keep their distance. That doesn't involved running straight past somebody, or walking in the middle of the footpath with your head in a phone.

The only reason for a 20km drive anywhere is for essential services.

Advertisement