Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭scwazrh

There Is a Facebook post going around of a funeral today in Offaly with in excess of 200 people there and Garda cars present . No prizes for guessing which group the funeral was for .Very frustrating when so many of us are doing the right thing and yet Garda will not control some groups .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Someone put it very well to me. I can think it's okay for me to do something because I'm the only one doing it but if everyone thinks the same then we end up back at square one with crowds everywhere, it's a fair point.

Also the chances of crashes increase. It's one of the pluses of this whole thing is very few have died on the roads.

The one death over the weekend was a young girl who was in a car with a young man so you can only guess they were out for an unnecessary reason as they crashed into a pole, no other car involved.

That's a lot of surmising you're doing there pinkeye, have some bit of decorum.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

right now there is a gang of them in the back garden behind us drinking and just being absolute twats

husband and wife there and others I have never seen before

they normally couldnt give a flying fcuk about the neighbours anyway, so not surprised they are now acting this way

you could call the gardai and let them know but they never called there when they were partying there at 4am so I wouldnt expect them to do anything now at 7pm

I think to be honest we are all wasting our time when we have people like this living around us

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I think to be honest we are all wasting our time when we have people like this living around us

We're not all wasting our time. But it's frustrating to see some people act the maggot. But it will mostly affect their chances of getting the virus and the people they live with and it will have very little impact on you.

There were 3 generations in my neighbours garden at the weekend. I'm sure if you asked them, they'd say they wet social distancing but was a toddler wandering around wherever they wanted.

I look around and see most people behaving admirably and that's helping manage the rate of transmission. Unfortunately, d1ckheads gonna d1ckhead

We're not all wasting our time. But it's frustrating to see some people act the maggot. But it will mostly affect their chances of getting the virus and the people they live with and it will have very little impact on you.

There were 3 generations in my neighbours garden at the weekend. I'm sure if you asked them, they'd say they wet social distancing but was a toddler wandering around wherever they wanted.

I look around and see most people behaving admirably and that's helping manage the rate of transmission. Unfortunately, d1ckheads gonna d1ckhead

might have little impact on me as I wouldnt be anywhere within 20m of them and would be a lot further if I could afford to move, but the people they are with will go back and mix with others and so on and so on

• Advertisement

might have little impact on me as I wouldnt be anywhere within 20m of them and would be a lot further if I could afford to move, but the people they are with will go back and mix with others and so on and so on

As long as you and yours look after your own health and safety then that's all you can do. There are some complete idiots out there and it can be very frustrating to even read or hear about them never mind witness them, but you gotta keep the faith.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

As long as you and yours look after your own health and safety then that's all you can do. There are some complete idiots out there and it can be very frustrating to even read or hear about them never mind witness them, but you gotta keep the faith.

Agree - and those at the coalface are thankful that you, I and 95%+ of people are being responsible.
    The other up to 5%, well an idiot will be an idiot.

Agree - and those at the coalface are thankful that you, I and 95%+ of people are being responsible.
    The other up to 5%, well an idiot will be an idiot.

You mind yourself out running. ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

I've learned a LOT about people I thought I knew. I'm shocked at the behavior of some who intentionally do not give a flying <insert word> about my or anybody else's health. I am re-assessing my 'friendships'.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

Just back from the walk within the 2km from home. Passed the same prick that was out the other week with his hunting dogs. He's changed nothing apart from trying to hide his car when parking up for the walk. Seems the lazy fkr deems it essential as he doesn't clean up after his dogs that sh!t all over the place the second they're out of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭D3V!L

scwazrh wrote: »
    There Is a Facebook post going around of a funeral today in Offaly with in excess of 200 people there and Garda cars present . No prizes for guessing which group the funeral was for .Very frustrating when so many of us are doing the right thing and yet Garda will not control some groups .

My wife witnessed a funeral procession in Lusk, Co.Dublin (tiny town) with in excess of 100 people within the past few days. She and others were standing there with their mouths open in shock :mad:

loveall wrote: »
    Just back from the walk within the 2km from home. Passed the same prick that was out the other week with his hunting dogs. He's changed nothing apart from trying to hide his car when parking up for the walk. Seems the lazy fkr deems it essential as he doesn't clean up after his dogs that sh!t all over the place the second they're out of the car.

I called a guy out the other day in the local park for not cleaning up after his dog, tried to say he didnt see anything

I'm going to shame anyone going forward and dont care who they are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

right now there is a gang of them in the back garden behind us drinking and just being absolute twats

husband and wife there and others I have never seen before

they normally couldnt give a flying fcuk about the neighbours anyway, so not surprised they are now acting this way

you could call the gardai and let them know but they never called there when they were partying there at 4am so I wouldnt expect them to do anything now at 7pm

Tinder hookups are still happening, house parties, teenagers meeting at the edges of parks etc. I'm at odds with the lock-down plan but I still comply with it just to keep the peace. If they try and maintain social-distancing until a vaccine is found even the more compliant people will lose patience though.

Seanachai wrote: »
    Tinder hookups are still happening, house parties, teenagers meeting at the edges of parks etc. I'm at odds with the lock-down plan but I still comply with it just to keep the peace. If they try and maintain social-distancing until a vaccine is found even the more compliant people will lose patience.

these arent tinder hookups, they are a couple late 40's who still act like they are in their 20's having garden parties all the time with their sauna and blow up jacuzzi in the back garden

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Seanachai wrote: »
    Tinder hookups are still happening, house parties, teenagers meeting at the edges of parks etc. I'm at odds with the lock-down plan but I still comply with it just to keep the peace. If they try and maintain social-distancing until a vaccine is found even the more compliant people will lose patience.

It's frustrating to see people do things that we'd all like to be doing. But ultimately, as long as the health service can cope, it doesn't really matter.

Those dopes will be more likely to get it sooner than the rest of us and they will eventually begin to fill up the 2/3 of the population needed for herd Immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The problem is that those people spread it, while not getting it themselves
    This is why people that may be vulernable really need to be sure to follow protocols.

I'm in a high risk group and my doctor referred me for a test this morning. I've been super careful but you never know apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

am I wrong or is the 2m social distance for people in close proximity for a specific period of time?

I honestly dont think walking passed someone within 2m for a split second is going to expose you to COVID-19 from their breath...

its not practical everywhere and if its not possible for that split second it doesnt bother me if I am within 2m

Well it might bother the other person. I agree it's not always possible, but even when it is some people just make a token shuffle a few inches away as if it's not important.

Can I also please ask people who are waiting outside shops while one family member does the shopping not to cluster around the entrance so that other people have to squeeze past you to get in? This has happened nearly every time I've gone to smaller grocers shops recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭keybordWarrior

The one thing I like about social distancing is I now don't need an excuse to avoid people. I hope Coronavirus is defeated asap, but long may social distancing continue imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

I’d be delighted if those who flout the rules were the ones who caught and suffered CV19 most. Unfortunately CV19 doesnt work on a karma basis. However, the ambulance turned up on Monday to remove someone from the neighbours house in hazmat suits, one where the whole estate has been giving out about them not following the rules

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

To the idiots in the shop who stood dead in the middle of the shop and chatted away, kept their distance from each other but everyone else walking between them. I am not sorry for being rude to people during these times and told them not to block the isle with their chatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Until people start feeling it in the pocket, expect the same morons to flout the rules.
    Apparently only something like 7 fines have been given out, what is the point like? Is this just a big overtime bonanza for the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

However, the ambulance turned up on Monday to remove someone from the neighbours house in hazmat suits, one where the whole estate has been giving out about them not following the rules

Problem with this kind of people is I doubt they’ll accurately report their contact history of the past 2 weeks (for the purpose of contact tracking). They’ll probably prefer risking other people’s health rather than having to exhibit how they cheated the rules and acted like idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

To the idiots in the shop who stood dead in the middle of the shop and chatted away, kept their distance from each other but everyone else walking between them. I am not sorry for being rude to people during these times and told them not to block the isle with their chatting.

This is driving me mad, people gathering in the local supermarket to have a chat with the neighbours. Move the fcuk on. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 This Thing

I went on a big grocery shop yesterday to last the next month & was'nt happy with the publics attitude to social distance awareness. Typical suburban Dubliner here as an example.

I only did one big shop the previous month (masked & gloved) & had a worse experience this time around with distancing when shopping for essentials.

Only 3 good shoppers were wearing masks in my local Dunnes grocery, two over ear paper medical masks and 1 with a home made cotton one.

I counted ~30 customers +10 staff. Staff arent wearing masks or gloves now (while 1/4 on checkout did last month), it seems optional or the risk/cost is put back on them which is worrying. Distance wise it seems they are told 1-2 packers per aisle but it is not strict.

It wasn't busy outside so there was no distanced queue for trolleys this time, I had to assume the amount let in didnt exceed the need for the door guard to bother, but not being sure ment I had to go into the store to find out (their grocery is at the back behind the clothing dept).

Out of the 30 skulls in store, about 10 were not conditioned or well behaved for social distancing, there were at least 1-2 of these cases per aisle, this added about +25 mins extra avoiding or waiting on them or being forced to travel in circles and caused additional stress for myself and others affecting the overall shopping time which used to average ~50 mins.

About 5 of these were wandering about without a basket. 2 were holding up the aisle traffic for +5 mins or more on their mobiles chatting or slowly checking their shopping list by phone. Surely the staff or shoplifting camera guard can see this and advise them to leave, shoppers near them did not ask them to hurry up.

My local grocery is a medium-large store, and 20-30 people per hour in-store seems the average for a medium busy afternoon, sometimes if you are lucky you can have an aisle clear to yourself but it only happened 2 out of the 12 aisles in store & there was always 1-2 staff packers in the way regardless.

2 ignorant customers decided wearing full headphones was a great idea essentially removing them from society, 1 headphone wearer had a mask on which was ironic. I didnt hear any vocal communication from anyone to indicate they needed distance & its very hard to talk at distance when you have a mask on which is something they have never experienced or considered.

I'd give this shopping social distance thing a score of 3/10

Stores should really really care about social distancing & put some more money into their stores and staff & discourage unprepared visitors who dont spend as much money & it doenst make busisness sense to cater to people that can jam up a store for what?

Theres an attempt to put some tape/markings on the ground and loop audio propaganda reminders in store, but its not matching the results and experiences I had this week. A lot of shops should have rearranged their layouts and aisles by now but its not happening, ideas posted below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 This Thing

Wishlist/ideas, enhancing social distancing for shoppers:
    (I know some of these are duplicate ideas since this thread is long, but if ther are any shop managers or owners reading this can you please consider the following ideas. Stores that really do enhance public safety will be remembered and increase repeat custom).

One way arrow marking on the ground for aisles would be great, there is not enough horizontal room in standard aisles to adhere to the rules correctly & theres a battle going on with shoppers that move in the opposite direction to the general flow of the store.

Remove an entire aisle from the store to increase social distance & enhance traffic flow.
    (Managers clinging onto a slow selling aisle filled with non-essentials is wrong).

Enhance the publicity of how many people are in-store by posting a counter outside or a low-medium-high capacity meter sign.

Enhance the publicity of busy hours by posting all those shopper metrics they gather, help spread out the busy days/times.

Remove packing rubbish and stacked promotional goods from the floorspace in aisles.

Advertise a suggested trolley shopping only hours (the elderly got their morning shopping times suggested) this option would only work once basket and casual shoppers are discouraged and a strict headcount is adhered to.

All shops should enforce masks & gloves to all staff by default, period.

Remove stickers and advert/postings from windows so we can see how busy it is inside.

Any board members have similar ideas for shoppers, the most practical one I have is bringing two sets of gloves so you can carry and clean your goods afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

This Thing wrote: »
    I went on a big grocery shop yesterday to last the next month & was'nt happy with the publics attitude to social distance awareness. Typical suburban Dubliner here as an example.

I only did one big shop the previous month (masked & gloved) & had a worse experience this time around with distancing when shopping for essentials.

Only 3 good shoppers were wearing masks in my local Dunnes grocery, two over ear paper medical masks and 1 with a home made cotton one.

I counted ~30 customers +10 staff. Staff arent wearing masks or gloves now (while 1/4 on checkout did last month), it seems optional or the risk/cost is put back on them which is worrying. Distance wise it seems they are told 1-2 packers per aisle but it is not strict.

It wasn't busy outside so there was no distanced queue for trolleys this time, I had to assume the amount let in didnt exceed the need for the door guard to bother, but not being sure ment I had to go into the store to find out (their grocery is at the back behind the clothing dept).

Out of the 30 skulls in store, about 10 were not conditioned or well behaved for social distancing, there were at least 1-2 of these cases per aisle, this added about +25 mins extra avoiding or waiting on them or being forced to travel in circles and caused additional stress for myself and others affecting the overall shopping time which used to average ~50 mins.

About 5 of these were wandering about without a basket. 2 were holding up the aisle traffic for +5 mins or more on their mobiles chatting or slowly checking their shopping list by phone. Surely the staff or shoplifting camera guard can see this and advise them to leave, shoppers near them did not ask them to hurry up.

My local grocery is a medium-large store, and 20-30 people per hour in-store seems the average for a medium busy afternoon, sometimes if you are lucky you can have an aisle clear to yourself but it only happened 2 out of the 12 aisles in store & there was always 1-2 staff packers in the way regardless.

2 ignorant customers decided wearing full headphones was a great idea essentially removing them from society, 1 headphone wearer had a mask on which was ironic. I didnt hear any vocal communication from anyone to indicate they needed distance & its very hard to talk at distance when you have a mask on which is something they have never experienced or considered.

I'd give this shopping social distance thing a score of 3/10

Stores should really really care about social distancing & put some more money into their stores and staff & discourage unprepared visitors who dont spend as much money & it doenst make busisness sense to cater to people that can jam up a store for what?

Theres an attempt to put some tape/markings on the ground and loop audio propaganda reminders in store, but its not matching the results and experiences I had this week. A lot of shops should have rearranged their layouts and aisles by now but its not happening, ideas posted below.

Seriously, get home delivery as the real world seems to be rather a challenge for you right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Until people start feeling it in the pocket, expect the same morons to flout the rules.
    Apparently only something like 7 fines have been given out, what is the point like? Is this just a big overtime bonanza for the Gardai?

People are already feeling it in the pocket, businesses are being destroyed, jobs are being lost. The longer the lockdown goes on, the more people will feel it in their pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

Seriously, get home delivery as the real world seems to be rather a challenge for you right now.

Near impossible to get home delivery in Dublin now, I have been getting it for that last 8 years, but not a chance of getting it now and the last one I got about 3 weeks ago was missing half the stuff, I went to the store (super valu) and everything was in stock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Anything4883

I haven't read this thread at all so its probably been said hundreds of times but, the AMOUNT of people/couples doing they're shopping together is ridiculous.
    No excuse for it.

Advertisement