Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    there's one thing giving grief to an employee if they are out of line, but a store manager getting in the face of a customer for no reason is bang out of order and should be removed from that position immediately or at least reprimanded

as a manager you need to bite your lip sometimes and say things you really dont want in order to manage the situation
    Don't think it matters either way- no right to give out in this manner to an employee or another customer.

Hard to say as wasn't there, but I would hazard a guess the person may have been biting their lip for some time now and wrongly took it out on the wrong person (we've probably all done this at some point). Or the guy is maybe just an aggressive a hole and dues this all the time.. who knows!

But if the former, I'm just saying it's more undersdable that some people that you wouldn't expect would be under way more pressure for reasons you wouldn't necessarily see and I would guess being a manager in a store line Lidl would be a bit crappy right now.

Don't forget with the story about the manager we are only hearing one side of the story it's perfectly possible the poster was an overerly aggressive arsehole or could simply be making the story up for attention seeking. There are always two sides to every story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Don't forget with the story about the manager we are only hearing one side of the story it's perfectly possible the poster was an overerly aggressive arsehole or could simply be making the story up for attention seeking. There are always two sides to every story.

I could also be an abusive keyboard warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

D3V!L wrote: »

if it was me I'd be writing a kindly letter to HQ if you felt they were out of order

Also within the realm of possibility.

• Advertisement

Also within the realm of possibility.

Also within the realms of possibility is that you're a prize sh*t stirrer.

Do you hang around this forum looking for an argument ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

kenmm wrote: »
    EDIT: I did just see the other post where you tried the polite approach. I still don't think moving towards personal attack is ever going to be effective tho. It nearly always offends and escalates a situation. Then if you genuinely are dealing with someone without much cop on, you are now dealing with an angrier version of that person... Better just to get out and not waste time.
    Oh I agree with you on the attack mode K. It's the last resort. Actually I find the friendly jokey approach tends to work best of all. Because it engages with people and if they're a twat they stand to look like one by not responding or responding negatively. The polite approach can be met with more of a blank stare at times, as it can depend on the thickness and/or self importance of the subject.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I was in Aldi 10 minutes ago. I went to ask one of the shop attendants something and next thing out of nowhere came a pack of napkins, one of her colleagues was after throwing them at her. I asked my question and then moved on, about a minute later the shop attendant was using me as a human shield and walked straight in front of me (in the 1ft there was between me and the shelf) in some form of game of chase with her colleague.
    I didn't say a word but it took every bit of my restraint to not completely lose the rag. I appreciate they are more in the line of fire than me, and are providing a essential service and are just having a bit of fun at the end of a long day, but social distancing is their responsibility too.

Also within the realms of possibility is that you're a prize sh*t stirrer.

Do you hang around this forum looking for an argument ?

No I don't. Why do you enjoy starting arguments with posters making valid points because if that's what you want I'll be happy to oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

I was in Aldi 10 minutes ago. I went to ask one of the shop attendants something and next thing out of nowhere came a pack of napkins, one of her colleagues was after throwing them at her. I asked my question and then moved on, about a minute later the shop attendant was using me as a human shield and walked straight in front of me (in the 1ft there was between me and the shelf) in some form of game of chase with her colleague.
    I didn't say a word but it took every bit of my restraint to not completely lose the rag. I appreciate they are more in the line of fire than me, and are providing a essential service and are just having a bit of fun at the end of a long day, but social distancing is their responsibility too.

Sounds like something I read in VIZ about 30 years ago.

• Advertisement

Oh great just what this thread needed another one-sided and possibly made up story.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

JL555 wrote: »
    Sounds like something I read in VIZ about 30 years ago.
    Unlikely J, as at no point did somebody's balls fall off, nor no lobsters specially fed on grapes jump out of the fridge and attack anyone's haemorrhoids.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Oh great just what this thread needed another one-sided and possibly made up story.

I can assure you it wasn't made up, but if you want to think it was, work away. Can I ask what you think my motivation to make it up would be, and what you suspect is the other side of the story?

I can assure you it wasn't made up, but if you want to think it was, work away. Can I ask what you think my motivation to make it up would be, and what you suspect is the other side of the story?

Likewise from myself. Me having to comfort my crying wife in the car and try to cheer her up afterwards was also not made up.

Likewise from myself. Me having to comfort my crying wife in the car and try to cheer her up afterwards was also not made up.

Oh I didn't realise there was a previous story, I may have a read back.

Well from what I have experienced is people often retell stories in a way that is more favourable to their side. There are always too sides of every story.

As to why people make up stories honestly it comes down to boredom and someone's need to feel important and seek attention.

Well from what I have experienced is people often retell stories in a way that is more favourable to their side. There are always too sides of every story.

As to why people make up stories honestly it comes down to boredom and someone's need to feel important and seek attention.

And what bit of the situation do you think there is a "their side" of?

And what bit of the situation do you think there is a "their side" of?

I find the whole part of the the story where the manager followed them to the car and proceeded to shout at them somewhat fanciful. I'm not saying that the manager wasn't rude to them just he probably didn't go overboard.

I find the whole part of the the story where the manager followed them to the car and proceeded to shout at them somewhat fanciful. I'm not saying that the manager wasn't rude to them just he probably didn't go overboard.

Eh, maybe re-read my original post, that story is nothing to do with me.

Eh, maybe re-read my original post, that story is nothing to do with me.

He never said it had anything to do with you :confused::confused::confused:??

He was simply answering your question

• Advertisement

He never said it had anything to do with you :confused::confused::confused:??

He was simply answering your question

Which was replying to him replying to me if you have another look there Einstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

If you have a cluster of two or more people in a supermarket would the 2 metres social distancing be adequate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I intend to and I would say their CCTV may develop a fault later. I went straight to the Garda station and got their advice. They said an offence wasn't committed.

If its modern cctv it will go up into the cloud and their HQ will have access.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    If its modern cctv it will go up into the cloud and their HQ will have access.

I spoke to a nice chap in Lidl CS this morning. I thought it was better than writing a ranting email to them. They're escalating it to the area manager and they're taking it very seriously.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

While restaurants are a thorny area, any likelihood we could see an increase in roadside type vans selling food? St. Anne's Park had these every Saturday, selling different types of food - Indian, Cuban, Chinese, etc. It's much easier to practice social distancing in a queue and you'd wander off and eat your food within the park. Seems like it would fit well enough.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ixoy wrote: »
    While restaurants are a thorny area, any likelihood we could see an increase in roadside type vans selling food? St. Anne's Park had these every Saturday, selling different types of food - Indian, Cuban, Chinese, etc. It's much easier to practice social distancing in a queue and you'd wander off and eat your food within the park. Seems like it would fit well enough.
    ...if you don't like hygienic food preparation!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I'm very impressed with the post men and women. Knock on the door, leave package at the door and runs.

A couple of points to those walkers complaining about runners.
    1. It is as much your duty as it is the runner to keep your distance. This includes taking your head out of your phone and walking to 1 side of the footpath.
    2. If a runner clearly goes out of their way to keep their distance (e.g. running out onto the road), occasionally a small smile, salute or "thank you" might help show that you appreciate the effort to keep their distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

A couple of points to those walkers complaining about runners.
    1. It is as much your duty as it is the runner to keep your distance. This includes taking your head out of your phone and walking to 1 side of the footpath.
    2. If a runner clearly goes out of their way to keep their distance (e.g. running out onto the road), occasionally a small smile, salute or "thank you" might help show that you appreciate the effort to keep their distance.

If they come up out of nowhere from behind you then it is one hundred percent their job to keep the distance, they don't though.

• Advertisement

If they come up out of nowhere from behind you then it is one hundred percent their job to keep the distance, they don't though.

I meant when you meet people, when they come up behind you I 100% agree. But I seem to spend half my time veering out on the road while some sour puss on the pavement doesn't even make any effort to acknowledge that I am trying to keep my distance from them.

Advertisement