Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

its the same with some cyclists, we were out for a walk the other night, both myself & wife and on a narrow enough path, with a cycle lane on the road to our right

Next thing we get the bells ringing behind us and in their broken english, "hellow we want to pass". 2 adults in their 30's

So i turned and pointed to the cycle lane on the road and kept walking

Bells kept ringing and then they tried a manoevre outside us clipping my wifes elbow with the handle bars

Trust me, next time if I see them they wont be so lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    its the same with some cyclists, we were out for a walk the other night, both myself & wife and on a narrow enough path, with a cycle lane on the road to our right

Next thing we get the bells ringing behind us and in their broken english, "hellow we want to pass". 2 adults in their 30's

Bells kept ringing and then they tried a manoevre outside us clipping my wifes elbow with the handle bars

I think some people just don't get it and they never will.

We have a neighbor who was out clapping and cheering for HSE staff, had his house and front lawn area all lit up the other week for the HSE but on Sunday night the cops were called because he was having a party with maybe 15 to 20 people at his house. Think it was someone's birthday.

I just don't understand why.

Maxpfizer wrote: »

We have a neighbor who was out clapping and cheering for HSE staff, had his house and front lawn area all lit up the other week for the HSE but on Sunday night the cops were called because he was having a party with maybe 15 to 20 people at his house. Think it was someone's birthday.

cops probably joined in..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sounds like a dick move by the cyclists, but it's worth thinking about why so many cyclists feel unsafe on the road - possibly something to do with the levels of speeding, driving using the phone and more.

Sounds like a dick move by the cyclists, but it's worth thinking about why so many cyclists feel unsafe on the road - possibly something to do with the levels of speeding, driving using the phone and more.

I'm also a cyclist and feel the roads are not as safe as they were many years ago, but I respect the path is for pedestrians. Unless its a child on their bike I will move aside for them, but an adult cycling with one hand on the handle bar and one on the phone coming towards you on the path, then they better be prepared to play a game of chicken. I make my point if they are coming towards me well in advance not to take that option

I've also noticed that it seems to be usually non-Irish that cycle on the paths and they seem to have this impression that its their god given right that you move aside for them

Also, the roads are relatively quiet at the moment and this road had a cycle lane

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maxpfizer wrote: »

He's a thundering moron with an IQ in the 90's? That's probably why M.

Lord knows I can have my duuuuh moments, with extra drooling, but jeebus this crisis is bringing it home to me in a very clear way how many truly stupid/self centred/distracted[delete or add as applicable] people there are in general day to day life.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'm also a cyclist and feel the roads are not as safe as they were many years ago, but I respect the path is for pedestrians. Unless its a child on their bike I will move aside for them, but an adult cycling with one hand on the handle bar and one on the phone coming towards you on the path, then they better be prepared to play a game of chicken. I make my point if they are coming towards me well in advance not to take that option

I've also noticed that it seems to be usually non-Irish that cycle on the paths and they seem to have this impression that its their god given right that you move aside for them

Also, the roads are relatively quiet at the moment and this road had a cycle lane

I often take a similar approach to yourself. I haven't noticed the 'non-Irish' trend that you mention.

It's worth remembering that some are taking the opportunity of relatively quiet roads to tear around the place like lunatics. Anytime we take a walk in the evening, I see at least one driver with a phone at the wheel.

A 'bit of white paint' cycle lane gives no protection to a cyclist. Many of them do more harm than good, as bad drivers reckon that 'once I'm not in the cycle lane, it must be safe to pass'. Drivers still need to leave adequate passing space, regardless of what paint is on the ground.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If they come up out of nowhere from behind you then it is one hundred percent their job to keep the distance, they don't though.
    In fairness, the vast majority of people are not magicians and don't appear out of nowhere. We should be aware of who is coming towards us from all directions. It's not a perfect solution but it works for me. If I know a jogger or cyclist or even a faster moving pedestrian is going to pass me, then I'll move out of their way in case they don't change their line.
    I'll repeat what I posted a few days ago - in my experience, the majority of people who don't move out of the way are pedestrians. Regardless though - all those who do not attempt to social distance are just w4nkers!

So you had an experience with a pair of people on bikes.
    I'm not saying that it's right for them to be on the footpath - many people simple don't like cycle lanes.

Cycle lanes tend to be sh1te with shores and manholes along with stones, glass and other detritrus in them. I can't think of one cycle lane in Co. Kildare (where I am) that I would say is at least of an "ok" standard. Generally cycle lanes are created as an afterthought to building a big expensive road.
    In addition, drivers stupidly think that they can speed past someone in a cycle lane because the line of white paint will somehow protect the cyclist, they can even increase the likleihood of an incident. Many people don't like being withtin two or three feet of a driver speeding past them (and most drivers are oblivious of how it feels and assume that it's safe).
    Just for clarity, cycle lanes despite what some may think (even the odd garda) are not mandatory (unless it is a contra flow and we don't have many of them).

it starts from the ground up

adults give way to children and elderly on footpaths

cyclists give way to pedestrians and respect the footpath is for pedestrians

motorists give way to cyclists

I get you on the white paint, its by no way a safe passage, but these clowns had another empty footpath on the other side of the road if they wanted the path route

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's worth remembering that some are taking the opportunity of relatively quiet roads to tear around the place like lunatics. Anytime we take a walk in the evening, I see at least one driver with a phone at the wheel..

The new one now is motorists who pass you as you cycle, either they or their passenger(s) who may sneeze out an open window as they pass you closely.

So as well as a florescent vest, a mask/scarf and glasses may be required to try and protect from such incidents.

• Advertisement

So you had an experience with a pair of people on bikes.
    I'm not saying that it's right for them to be on the footpath - many people simple don't like cycle lanes.

Cycle lanes tend to be sh1te with shores and manholes along with stones, glass and other detritrus in them. I can't think of one cycle lane in Co. Kildare (where I am) that I would say is at least of an "ok" standard. Generally cycle lanes are created as an afterthought to building a big expensive road.
    In addition, drivers stupidly think that they can speed past someone in a cycle lane because the line of white paint will somehow protect the cyclist, they can even increase the likleihood of an incident. Many people don't like being withtin two or three feet of a driver speeding past them (and most drivers are oblivious of how it feels and assume that it's safe).
    Just for clarity, cycle lanes despite what some may think (even the odd garda) are not mandatory (unless it is a contra flow and we don't have many of them).

the experience is daily as I am out walking each evening, I am just highlighting one incident from the other night
    I'm in Kildare and yes the cycle lanes in places are rubbish

That doesnt justify them bombing down footpaths and expecting pedestrians to move aside for them and sometimes clipping them

Article 13 of the 1997 Regulations makes it an offence to cycle on a footpath unless you are entering or exiting a property

I wouldnt expect any Garda in the country to enforce this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Was keeping my distance in the shop and gave someone plenty of space (afterall, the space is for the health of both of us)... Along comes someone and steps inside the space... What world are people living in lately that they think it's ok to take any available space?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Gamergurll

I'm sure this has been discussed but I'm annoyed sorry if I'm bringing up an old topic. My Landlord has rented one of his houses out to a group of people from down the country, they are staying for a week apparently. I want to keep my nose out but my child is high risk. Maybe a neighbor will report them anyway, it's the countryside so outsiders are noticed straight away but if they are reported what is the likely outcome? Will the Landlord be in trouble for it or left alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Really love the joggers panting and coughing as they pass you and obviously you have to give way they'd never make room. Apparently we have a lot of future Usain Bolt's around as they all act like they're in a marathon!

Gamergurll wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been discussed but I'm annoyed sorry if I'm bringing up an old topic. My Landlord has rented one of his houses out to a group of people from down the country, they are staying for a week apparently. I want to keep my nose out but my child is high risk. Maybe a neighbor will report them anyway, it's the countryside so outsiders are noticed straight away but if they are reported what is the likely outcome? Will the Landlord be in trouble for it or left alone?

very unlikely anything will be done if its reported

head is wrecked at people at the moment flaunting the rules....2 houses within 100m of where I live both had workers in today doing work in the houses, not necessary work aswell from what I could see

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What, are you feeling well?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,197 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I meant when you meet people, when they come up behind you I 100% agree. But I seem to spend half my time veering out on the road while some sour puss on the pavement doesn't even make any effort to acknowledge that I am trying to keep my distance from them.

Its still walkers job to stay to one side or the other to create room for a runner to safely pass them from behind

What, are you feeling well?

Great thanks, just back from a nice spin on the bike to start the day. How's yourself?
    fr336 wrote: »
    Really love the joggers panting and coughing as they pass you and obviously you have to give way they'd never make room. Apparently we have a lot of future Usain Bolt's around as they all act like they're in a marathon!

At risk of stating the obvious, there is a real benefit in keeping the public healthy when we're in a public health crisis. Exercise like this puts people in a better position to fight infection, in addition to all the other longer term benefits for public health.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the experience is daily as I am out walking each evening, I am just highlighting one incident from the other night
    I'm in Kildare and yes the cycle lanes in places are rubbish

That doesnt justify them bombing down footpaths and expecting pedestrians to move aside for them and sometimes clipping them

Article 13 of the 1997 Regulations makes it an offence to cycle on a footpath unless you are entering or exiting a property

I wouldnt expect any Garda in the country to enforce this
    Firstly I did say that I was not going to justify their actions. My own experience in the Leixlip area is the opposite of yours.
    However, in terms of enforcing the law, they do enforce it (which in itself raises a problem - should they enforce it on a four year old child? What about a fourteen year old?). However, they also allow unsafe drivers to create a situation where many people do not feel safe cycling on the road.
    Secondly, tell us of one cycle lane in Kildare that is fit for purpose please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Wibbs wrote: »
    He's a thundering moron with an IQ in the 90's? That's probably why M.

Lord knows I can have my duuuuh moments, with extra drooling, but jeebus this crisis is bringing it home to me in a very clear way how many truly stupid/self centred/distracted[delete or add as applicable] people there are in general day to day life.

The best way I can wrap my head around it is that, with all the talk of healthcare workers and essential services providers being "on the front line" etc, people feel like the "fight" against the virus is very serious but also that it's happening somewhere else "on the front lines".

This guy is out there loud and proud clapping and cheering and making sure everyone knows that he really supports the HSE but then he's getting a house party broken up a few days later.

Maybe a lot of media rhetoric makes people think that this really is some "war" or "fight" that's happening on "the front lines" and one day the "enemy" will just surrender and we can say "we defeated the virus and won the war".

So it makes sense then that a lot of folk will have a more relaxed attitude to the guidelines because they don't feel like it's really affecting them right there and then.

Or maybe I give some people too much credit. Maybe they just don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

fr336 wrote: »

Usain Bolt would fare quite poorly in a marathon

cian68 wrote: »
    Usain Bolt would fare quite poorly in a marathon

I'm not so sure about that, although he is a track runner. The training for that would require a lot of slow and steady base mileage. Some might be up to almost marathon distance.

Anyway, back on topic wasn't there recently, a report published that stated out of 7000 reported virus cases, the chance of getting infected while being outdoors was either zero or close to it, and even your chance of picking up the virus in a supermarket, according to the report was minimal.

It's nice to see people out and about and enjoying the good weather we are lucky; the weather has remained nice and allows us to get out and enjoy our beautiful country.

Firstly I did say that I was not going to justify their actions. My own experience in the Leixlip area is the opposite of yours.
    However, in terms of enforcing the law, they do enforce it (which in itself raises a problem - should they enforce it on a four year old child? What about a fourteen year old?). However, they also allow unsafe drivers to create a situation where many people do not feel safe cycling on the road.
    Secondly, tell us of one cycle lane in Kildare that is fit for purpose please.

I'm quite happy for kids to use the path and step aside for them, not adults though

Naas has many, the millenium park is fit for purpose as an example

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm very annoyed today.
    There's a man who lives in the next village. A bachelor in his 70s who doesn't drive.
    Anyhow on any given day, he stands at the village pub and any locals who pass would give him a lift to the next town.
    I learned today that he's still getting lifts and going to the town because when I was in the town doing my essential shopping, he popped up and asked me for a lift home.
    I actually felt bad not giving him a lift but ffs, I am abiding by my social distance requirements and not putting people in these positions.
    Someone obviously drove him into the town so that's even worse!
    He lives with a sister who has a car but it's just out of habit that he's used to locals picking him up.

To thine own self be true

looks like people are relaxing themselves as data shown today that traffic is up

my son also said he seen about 10-11 lads in their 20's all playing a football match in the local park

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How does social distancing work within families once the 2km rule is removed? Is it ok for kids to visit grandparents and so on?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,197 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Gael23 wrote: »
    How does social distancing work within families once the 2km rule is removed? Is it ok for kids to visit grandparents and so on?

Yeah as soon as the 2km rule is removed it will be replaced by a rule which states that grandparents are immune from getting the disease - but only from their grandchildren.

Vulnerable people will remain vulnerable to covid for as long as covid is around. It will be up to you to choose whether you put vulnerable people at risk by exposing them to your children.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Can we have some common sense here.
    Inside, 2 metres. Outside, 2 metres but if you are just walking past in fresh air where's the problem ? Cycling on country roads with a few cars passing .. what's the problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I live on a very quiet country road. I keep track on the number of cars that pass daily. Yesterday 4 cars passed, today 5 cars passed. That is a 25% increase. If this level of exponential growth continues it will be thousands of cars with weeks!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Scoondal wrote: »
    Can we have some common sense here.
    Inside, 2 metres. Outside, 2 metres but if you are just walking past in fresh air where's the problem ? Cycling on country roads with a few cars passing .. what's the problem ?

What he said...

Advertisement