Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

A couple of points to those walkers complaining about runners.
    1. It is as much your duty as it is the runner to keep your distance. This includes taking your head out of your phone and walking to 1 side of the footpath.
    2. If a runner clearly goes out of their way to keep their distance (e.g. running out onto the road), occasionally a small smile, salute or "thank you" might help show that you appreciate the effort to keep their distance.

When I'm out for my walk people, including myself, are constantly working around other people - stepping out onto the road, crossing to the other side, moving right out to the edge of the pavement. Not sure why I should be especially grateful to joggers for just behaving with the same consideration as everyone else

It's just par for the course nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,197 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

When I'm out for my walk people, including myself, are constantly working around other people - stepping out onto the road, crossing to the other side, moving right out to the edge of the pavement. Not sure why I should be especially grateful to joggers for just behaving with the same consideration as everyone else

Because they’re extra virtuous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

Because they’re extra virtuous?

They're the worst out of everyone for social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Good for you, you are one of the few rather than the many.

Good for you, you are one of the few rather than the many.

That hasn't been my experience. The majority of people comply with the 2 metre requirement as far as possible. A minority are stupid or selfish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

That hasn't been my experience. The majority of people comply with the 2 metre requirement as far as possible. A minority are stupid or selfish.

I find the same here , people are generally complying and when I am out they step aside or I step out on the road . A minority will always be arseholes , they always were and always will be Covid or not

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

thats true, but I dont let it bother me if someone walking towards me doesnt try to keep distance
    Unless they cough in my face I think out in fresh air I am not going to stress about it

Some people are going to really struggle getting back to normality after this

I've seen some people give me 10m distance as I'm out walking and put their lives at risk walking down the middle of a busy road

i think aswell the extra car volume is people being told about the diesel filters and cars sitting in the drives so they are just out giving them a run

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭BillyBiggs

We can’t go to a restaurant, bar, cinema, gym or clothes shop to protect our health. But we can go to a supermarket, where we come into regular contact with people, at distances of less than 2 metres. We touch countless fridge doors, freezer doors and touch many shelves. Admittedly we need food to survive and have to have access to a supermarket. But it’s mental that buying a shirt or dress in a clothes shop would be regarded as dangerous, when you think of the supermarket scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,197 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

BillyBiggs wrote: »
    We can’t go to a restaurant, bar, cinema, gym or clothes shop to protect our health. But we can go to a supermarket, where we come into regular contact with people, at distances of less than 2 metres. We touch countless fridge doors, freezer doors and touch many shelves. Admittedly we need food to survive and have to have access to a supermarket. But it’s mental that buying a shirt or dress in a clothes shop would be regarded as dangerous, when you think of the supermarket scenario.

Buying a shirt would be similarly dangerous but surely you'll also admit don't need new shirts to survive.

• Advertisement

BillyBiggs wrote: »

Well ideally we wouldn't have to go out foodshopping either but there's no way around that. But the more shops that are open the harder it would be to move the virus spread out of communities and back into households.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Same here. I will cross the road, move to the edge of the path, or do whatever I need to do to maintain space, when I'm out walking.
    Most people are doing likewise now, thankfully.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I find the same here , people are generally complying and when I am out they step aside or I step out on the road . A minority will always be arseholes , they always were and always will be Covid or not

That is so true.
    I have to remind myself of it, occasionally, when I encounter them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

What's needed here to avoid social contact in a Supermarket are Robots!

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0425/1134744-uk-robots-delivering-the-goods-in-milton-keynes/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

plodder wrote: »
    You mean on paths in parks? I presume that is subject to local byelaws/rules, and is often allowed, but it's not allowed for anyone to cycle on a regular footpath, alongside a road, except on marked cycle paths.

Kids can cycle on footpath.

Garda Headquarters has informed senior officers all over the country that the restrictions on movement to stop the spread of the coronavirus do not apply to people on day trips from Northern Ireland and that powers of enforcement cannot be used on them.

So if we can’t enforce restrictions on people from NI, how do you expect people here to toe the line

This is an absolute mockery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Is this a law? Are you as an adult not meant to supervise and walk alongside but stay on foot? I'd like to know the rules on this especially with regards to social distancing. Groups are dominating the path and making social distancing impossible for all others, which endangers everyone else's health. I can almost guarantee you and your family are coming up at speed behind people and passing them closer than 2 m, as is the nature to moving quickly but numerous people in a park. The government have stated 2m as a rule, are you and your family following this with every person as you come up behind them, beside them, around them? If not then you are breaking the most important rule ans need to stop. Those same people out for walks on their own are possibly living alone also and not seeing anybody and then have to deal with this rubbish while socially distancing themselves. It really is showing how self centred some people are to be honest. I hope you're respecting people ans actively ensuring you and each family member are 2m away from everyone. Otherwise you are part of the problem.
    In the public park in question you are allowed cycle on the path. It is between 1.8metres and 3metres wide. No cars use it.

We tend to cycle slowly as one of my kids balance is not great.

Also we usually give max space 3 metres or else we stop and go into the wooded area to let people pass. I am not sure if you read my post but the issue was we were trying to safely get past a pedestrian in the middle of path that was about 2.2 metre wide who was walking. Because she was in the middle it was impossible to get past and provide 2 metres. I ask her politely several times to go to one side and we would go to the other to ensure she got the two metres but she couldn't hear because she had the headphones on full volume. So we waited 5 minutes until the pathway got wide 3 metres and then had grass space beside and went up on the grass space so she could got about 4.5 metres and then I said it to her that maybe she should turn the headphones down.

I have absolutely no issues with kids cycling on footpaths and I will go out of my way to let them pass if I am walking on a path

On a separate note, I am watching the mass broadcasted from the Holy Family Mission in Waterford and the priest just served holy communion to the alter boys/girls

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Garda Headquarters has informed senior officers all over the country that the restrictions on movement to stop the spread of the coronavirus do not apply to people on day trips from Northern Ireland and that powers of enforcement cannot be used on them.

So if we can’t enforce restrictions on people from NI, how do you expect people here to toe the line

This is an absolute mockery
    Our laws, in general are a mockery, but we just accept them. I no longer accept stupidity in my own country. Why is the Irish Police spending time in charity projects. Their job is law enforcement, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Scoondal wrote: »
    Our laws, in general are a mockery, but we just accept them. I no longer accept stupidity in my own country. Why is the Irish Police spending time in charity projects. Their job is law enforcement, nothing else.

Bring back the Black 'n Tans, they had a 'special' way of dealing with public law and order.

• Advertisement

Kids can cycle on footpath.

What ? Why ?
    They should cycle on the road. Bicycles should not be on a footpath. This is normal in most EU countries. Is Ireland some unique country in EU ?

degsie wrote: »
    Bring back the Black 'n Tans, they had a 'special' way of dealing with public law and order.

What is "Black 'n Tans" ?

Scoondal wrote: »
    What ? Why ?
    They should cycle on the road. Bicycles should not be on a footpath. This is normal in most EU countries. Is Ireland some unique country in EU ?

most countries have better cycle lanes but I see your point

now is a great time to teach kids to cycle on the road. I personally dont have an issue with them on the path if they are very young

I however never brought my kids out to cycle on paths on main roads, taught them first in the park & estate and when they were ready I brought them out but on the road
    If I felt the road was too dangerous then I wouldnt bring them on it

Common sense really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

FFS😡
    I live about 3km outside town. Today, I had to go to my sister’s house in an estate in town (she’s in Australia, alarm was going off).
    Unless one family in an estate of approximately 30 houses, has 30 odd kids of various races, then they are taking the pi*s! Thirty odd kids playing away together.....might as well have been sharing fags under a bench. Am I naive to think this isn’t going on?
    These are kids, not teenagers, where are their parents?
    It’s so unfair, I’m busting my ass keeping away from my friends, and not going anywhere near my parents, so to see this made me very very cross 🤬

Anyone else come across this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

JDMC2 wrote: »
    FFS😡
    I live about 3km outside town. Today, I had to go to my sister’s house in an estate in town (she’s in Australia, alarm was going off).
    Unless one family in an estate of approximately 30 houses, has 30 odd kids of various races, then they are taking the pi*s! Thirty odd kids playing away together.....might as well have been sharing fags under a bench. Am I naive to think this isn’t going on?
    It’s so unfair, I’m busting my ass keeping away from my friends, and not going anywhere near my parents, so to see this made me very very cross 🀬

Only here

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Beasty wrote: »
    Threads merged

Odd post in a distancing thread :o

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

JDMC2 wrote: »
    FFS😡
    It’s so unfair, I’m busting my ass keeping away from my friends, and not going anywhere near my parents, so to see this made me very very cross 🤬

Yeah, same stuff going on in my area. It has been the whole time. Between that and the sunbathers in parks.. most of the time it feels like no one is taking it seriously :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

degsie wrote: »
    Odd post in a distancing thread :o

4LoyBE.gif

Advertisement