Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Same here in Blanchardstown. Our neighbours set up a basketball hoop on the street yesterday. Their kids mixing with other families and adults stopping by for a chat. It's like there isn't a pandemic. Have people just decided they've had enough?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    Same here in Blanchardstown. Our neighbours set up a basketball hoop on the street yesterday. Their kids mixing with other families and adults stopping by for a chat. It's like there isn't a pandemic. Have people just decided they've had enough?

Basketball hoops on streets, my pet hate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Basketball hoops on streets, my pet hate

Odd. I thought it would be Superman!

degsie wrote: »
    Odd. I thought it would be Superman!

I have a stash of kryptonite to deal with him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Scoondal wrote: »
    What ? Why ?
    They should cycle on the road. Bicycles should not be on a footpath. This is normal in most EU countries. Is Ireland some unique country in EU ?

If a five year is cycling or any kid, most people won't have an issue on the path. The reason generally is even if they can cycle their balance isn't as kid and sometimes kids do silly things and if a car hits them they are gone.

Most people don't have an issue with this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

I have a stash of kryptonite to deal with him

Reported to the Gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

JDMC2 wrote: »
    FFS😡
    I live about 3km outside town. Today, I had to go to my sister’s house in an estate in town (she’s in Australia, alarm was going off).
    Unless one family in an estate of approximately 30 houses, has 30 odd kids of various races, then they are taking the pi*s! Thirty odd kids playing away together.....might as well have been sharing fags under a bench. Am I naive to think this isn’t going on?
    These are kids, not teenagers, where are their parents?
    It’s so unfair, I’m busting my ass keeping away from my friends, and not going anywhere near my parents, so to see this made me very very cross 🤬

Anyone else come across this.

Yes and every time I see it I get pretty annoyed. People like this are making it worse for us all long term and will prolong the lockdown.

I'm honestly thinking the government may have to push out the phased openings now as the virus very well may run riot over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Yes and every time I see it I get pretty annoyed. People like this are making it worse for us all long term and will prolong the lockdown.

I'm honestly thinking the government may have to push out the phased openings now as the virus very well may run riot over the next few weeks.

I just posted this on another thread....

....the rate of transmission continues to drop, even with these anecdotal sightings of groups congregating over the past 3 or 4 weeks. It is likely to be at close to zero in another couple of weeks.

Last 5 days (from Friday 8th) : 0.93%
    5 days before that: 1.58%
    5 days before that: 2.48%

Based on those numbers I would be expecting a more sensible and pragmatic approach to restriction easing by the government on the 8th of June. However I will not hold my breadth. We cannot hide away from this forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

As I've said in a few other threads, outdoor activity has the lowest transmission risk (going on data from outbreaks in other countries) but highest visibility. Hence the overabundance of anecdotes of people flouting the rules yet the numbers continue to drop.

Big risk comes from groups congregating indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Plenty of groups of teens in Grifeen Valley in Lucan and unless there was a large amount of Asian and African children adopted in families in Lucan around fifteen years ago I can be nearly certain they're not from the same family group.

I just don't get why joggers believe they don't have to adjust their path when passing you as well. There was one gentleman I actually confronted as I could literally feel his breath in my ear as he passed. I swear some people have been living under a rock since the end of February.

• Advertisement

Large gathering of people as I type in the house behind me
    In the garden, inside the house, inside the marquee, there are literally 15-20 people in there
    Baby, kids teenagers & adults
    We are literally the other side of the wall and for the safety of my family we have had to retreat right to the house
    Called the guards hours ago but they have yet to respond

My wife hasnt been able to see her mother for 8 weeks, as she is outside the 2/5km distance, same for me to see my dad yet these people just carry on regardless

They will then go back to their own lives and just continue to spread this and we could possibly get locked down for longer while these people continue to live normal lives

Boils my p!$$

We are gradually becoming a nation of peeping Toms, sneaking behind the curtains to see what those other people are doing.Is this the way people want to live their lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Large gathering of people as I type in the house behind me
    In the garden, inside the house, inside the marquee, there are literally 15-20 people in there
    Baby, kids teenagers & adults
    We are literally the other side of the wall and for the safety of my family we have had to retreat right to the house
    Called the guards hours ago but they have yet to respond

My wife hasnt been able to see her mother for 8 weeks, as she is outside the 2/5km distance, same for me to see my dad yet these people just carry on regardless

They will then go back to their own lives and just continue to spread this and we could possibly get locked down for longer while these people continue to live normal lives

Boils my p!$$

We've been in this lockdown for 7 weeks and R0 is now well below 1

Why should people not been allowed to see friends? At the beginning of the lockown Harris even said it will only be for a few weeks as people won't follow the rules if it's longer

RugbyLad11 wrote: »

Why should people not been allowed to see friends? At the beginning of the lockown Harris even said it will only be for a few weeks as people won't follow the rules if it's longer

And if things like this keep happening then the R number will be above 1 in a few weeks. Use your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

JL555 wrote: »
    We are gradually becoming a nation of peeping Toms, sneaking behind the curtains to see what those other people are doing.Is this the way people want to live their lives?

Not a problem if people aren't being sh1theads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

And if things like this keep happening then the R number will be above 1 in a few weeks. Use your head.

Yeah, some people are struggling to understand that new cases peaking and the R0 going below 1 is not the end of this problem nor a sign that we can go back to normal. These reductions are just a consequence of the lockdown and numbers can and will shoot up again if we go back to normal.

It is not fun for anyone, but until we have a vaccine, a treatment for acute cases, or heard immunity, this virus will still be around and affect our lives.

This doesn't mean we will be under strict and constant lockdown, but to allow for some level of normality everyone will need to accept some limitations (one of them currently being that it is not OK to have a party with 20 people in a house). If people decide restrictions don't apply to them, it will just drive us back to a strict lockdown rather than gradually lifting restrictions.

Only if what people have been posting on here for many weeks now about gatherings of people are complete lies and if my own eyes are really playing tricks on me, then you might be correct, however if on the other hand all those reports are true it doesn't correlate with what you're saying as the transmission rate continues to fall week on week.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭hhmmm?

Huge party going on in one of the houses here, they can be heard from a few rows over. Police were called, arrived to the house and left without breaking it up. Lockdown finished as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

hhmmm? wrote: »
    . Lockdown finished as far as I'm concerned.

It seems to be as far as the guards are concerned. We’re number 5 in a row of 13; #2 have been having gatherings every day for the last six weeks. We know they’ve got just two kids yet most days there’s a good 7 or 8 there, often with a bouncy castle and BBQ. A mini football goal appeared three weeks ago. They’re friendly with #12 and #13, so lots of running back and forth along the back access (We have a small green along our back fences). Thursday night we were kept awake until 2am as someone in #12 was celebrating a wedding anniversary. Today they’ve had the bouncy castle, the water sprinklers, the BBQ and a game of football. Just had a round of Happy Birthday sung for the twins. Theres at least 15 adults plus assorted kids. One of them is a carer (#2) the others (#12 and #13) are unemployed native minorities. All three properties were purchased last year as AHA homes.... we knew the families renting them who had to move out to accommodate the new tenants. The guards walk past the front most afternoons, never go around the back even though the noise is very audible. neighbour #6 spoke to the guards twice, they shrugged their shoulders and walked on.

RugbyLad11 wrote: »

and yet we are 7+ weeks in and still weeks away from being able to travel outside 5km, go see family in their houses, all because certain people are still not abiding by the rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I cringe when I think of the ****e we will have to go through on social media etc with all the '#reunited', '#missedtheseguys' and all this reunion stuff

Only if what people have been posting on here for many weeks now about gatherings of people are complete lies and if my own eyes are really playing tricks on me, then you might be correct, however if on the other hand all those reports are true it doesn't correlate with what you're saying as the transmission rate continues to fall week on week.

I couldnt believe my eyes today, there were elderly people and one woman had a baby under 1

guards had to come twice to shake them out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

and yet we are 7+ weeks in and still weeks away from being able to travel outside 5km, go see family in their houses, all because certain people are still not abiding by the rules

Are you sure there is a correlation here? Isn't community transmission very low?

I doubt the minority flouting the rules have much impact on the time period of the restrictions, but I am happen to be shown to be wrong if that is the case.

I personally don't think it's got anything to do with people not abiding by the rules, if it was we should surely expect to see much more enforcement. I think it's a case of 'wait and see what happens elsewhere' from the government, by delaying as much as possible and opening up when other countries have long since opened and if (hopefully) new cases do not go rise again, then Varadkar and 2 faced Harris can give themselves pats on the back telling us how great this national effort has been. It's weak leadership if you ask me, there's more than one way to skin a cat, but this crowd haven't the balls to try anything different.

I couldnt believe my eyes today, there were elderly people and one woman had a baby under 1

guards had to come twice to shake them out

For your own sake, I wouldn't be getting too flustered about it. The main aim of the restrictions is to keep the health service from being overrun.
    This looks very unlikely to happen now, so if I was you, I'd just worry about looking after you and yours and let your neighbors do what they like.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Are you sure there is a correlation here? Isn't community transmission very low?

I doubt the minority flouting the rules have much impact on the time period of the restrictions, but I am happen to be shown to be wrong if that is the case.

didnt it start with just 1 as we are led to believe and now we have over 4million cases worldwide

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I cringe when I think of the ****e we will have to go through on social media etc with all the '#reunited', '#missedtheseguys' and all this reunion stuff
    Maybe stay off it then?
    If you are following people who you don't want being happy maybe unfollow them

I personally don't think it's got anything to do with people not abiding by the rules, if it was we should surely expect to see much more enforcement. I think it's a case of 'wait and see what happens elsewhere' from the government, by delaying as much as possible and opening up when other countries have long since opened and if (hopefully) new cases do not go rise again, then Varadkar and 2 faced Harris can give themselves pats on the back telling us how great this national effort has been. It's weak leadership if you ask me, there's more than one way to skin a cat, but this crowd haven't the balls to try anything different.

I said it a week ago when they announced the time-table of restrictions, that one of the first to go by the wayside would be people not allowed see their families and in the case of family outside 20KM, for 12 weeks.
    This had no chance of holding.
    They should have allowed people visit immediate family with suitable guidelines on keeping distance, hygiene, not visiting shops/petrol outside your local area etc and allow people to do it safely, but instead it was a blanket ban and now they have a free for all with no guidance and the nonsense of guards stopping people on the road checking where they are going * instead of actually breaking up house parties etc.

Friend of mine was coming from outside Dublin with his wife who is pregnant for a scan in the Rotunda. He was stopped by the guards and when asked where he was going, told them the story. Guard said, seems like everyone is going to the Rotunda today. That will just tell you the pointlessness of it. Anyone going anywhere will have a suitable excuse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

robbiezero wrote: »

Maybe have a look at the recent situation in Seoul to see how quickly things can re-escalate.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-09/south-korea-faces-new-flare-up-in-virus-cases-tied-to-nightclubs

• Advertisement

didnt it start with just 1 as we are led to believe and now we have over 4million cases worldwide

I don't know how it started, not sure anyone really does.
    But I don't how much of it is community transmission and how much is close contact etc.
    Like if flouting the restrictions were causing widespread transmission we would be seeing it in the figures, they should be going up as the flouting is certainly increasing on what it was (Anecdotal, but I think we can take this for granted).

Advertisement