Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

JL555 wrote: »
    Not really, I don't care what other people do to be honest. People are going to irresponsible if they choose, nothing you can do about it. Say something to someone and almost guaranteed that the reply will be two fingers coupled with a set of expletives. It's the Irish way, we either act responsibly or show blatant disrespect to each other, there's no in between.

its not just the Irish way

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    its not just the Irish way
    I am curious about adherence elsewhere. We're constantly getting the view that this lax approach is an Irish thing, that everywhere else are disciplined, including the teenagers. Is there any truth to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Difficult to have to keep reminding family they have to be the ones to move, as the toddler hasn't a fiddlers. Very frustrating at times, any one else finding themselves having to be the reminding voice? 2m is not 2ft.

Or you could move your toddler?

ixoy wrote: »
    I am curious about adherence elsewhere. We're constantly getting the view that this lax approach is an Irish thing, that everywhere else are disciplined, including the teenagers. Is there any truth to that?

what I am referring to is that its not just Irish people in Ireland, in my experience its been foreign nationals who seem to be carrying on like normal during the lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

To those groups who continue to walk side-by-side as we walk single file past you on narrow paths, there is a special place in Covid Hell for you! Sick of it!

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    To those groups who continue to walk side-by-side as we walk single file past you on narrow paths, there is a special place in Covid Hell for you! Sick of it!

If you are approaching from behind, I find first a polite "excuse me" seems to work in the majority of cases, failing that a polite "cough" usually does the trick

If approaching head on, you have to be prepared to play that game of chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 20,198 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ahh its completely gone now, groups of 10 people in many locations sitting out in parks, no 2m between them
    People out walking side by side
    People visiting peoples homes
    garden parties
    construction work going on inside homes with multiple workers all at once

I just hope for all of us we dont get a rise in numbers again due to this
    I got a call yesterday from my dentist asking me if I wanted to reschedule the appointment I had to cancel that was in for late March, that they are open up fully again
    Now if they have been given the all clear, fair enough, but how is a dentist less of a risk than a barber/hairdressers if the staff take precautions?

Yeah some people have relaxed and some have dropped distancing all together. But most people are still doing the biz and being sensible.

I suppose a dentist is already well used to wearing PPE. They always wore gloves, mask, splash shield in some cases. Dentistry can be an emergency service when people are in pain. Doing cosmetic procedures would be naughty though.

I suppose we can expect cases to rise. But we've created a bit of headroom by getting the numbers down.

Yeah some people have relaxed and some have dropped distancing all together. But most people are still doing the biz and being sensible.

I suppose a dentist is already well used to wearing PPE. They always wore gloves, mask, splash shield in some cases. Dentistry can be an emergency service when people are in pain. Doing cosmetic procedures would be naughty though.

I suppose we can expect cases to rise. But we've created a bit of headroom by getting the numbers down.

my appoint was for a routine checkup/clean so wasnt expecting them to schedule it

I would imagine a barber etc would have no issue wearing a mask

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What would you think of somebody who because of a quite leaky tap that has been annoying them for weeks in a newish bathroom.. has called back the plumbers tomorrow to install a new seal or whatever to stop the leaky tap..

Tradesmen who by the nature of their work have been in and out of residences, meeting multiple people and working with colleagues in close proximity to each other on sites and in homes..etc...

Can’t just fûcking sit on their hands, can’t NOT be relaxed with a tap, leaking a bit...

Bored at home, so looking for something to do, for somebody to call, for some fûcking drama to unwind.

Both in their 80’s, him with a minor heart issue, there have been health problems for others in the family, all the stresses of that, covid, now he’s all gung ho to invite two lads in, to fix a fûcking tap... because he can’t sit still, because he can’t not be waffling the ears off somebody... madness... stupidity... downright selfish...

They are everywhere Strumms, a leaky tap is annoying especially at night but wouldnt consider it necessary

Then again, if they just vacate the house while the plumber comes in and tell him to only go to that bathroom and give it a good clean afterwards they might be ok, a leaky seal in a tap should have a plumber in&out in 30mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,198 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

my appoint was for a routine checkup/clean so wasnt expecting them to schedule it

I would imagine a barber etc would have no issue wearing a mask

In a one on one situation like that, I'd say they might need a mask and gloves and a gown which can be disposable or washed after each customer. Yeah as long as they have full PPE then I'd say they can get back to work. It's completely up to you to choose whether or not you want to go for your check up.

And you should not feel under any pressure or any obligation to reschedule until you're comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭amandstu

I was in a supermarket today and there was a group of 4 (presumably 2 separate groups of 1,2 or3) having an animated conversation in the aisle.

They were well social distanced but I had to decide whether to cut through them quickly ,about turn or even ask them to get on with their shopping.

I turned back.

Is it fair for shoppers to use the shops as social venues? (They could easily have had their conversation outside in the car park even though the weather wasn't so nice)

amandstu wrote: »
    I was in a supermarket today and there was a group of 4 (presumably 2 separate groups of 1,2 or3) having an animated conversation in the aisle.

They were well social distanced but I had to decide whether to cut through them quickly ,about turn or even ask them to get on with their shopping.

I turned back.

Is it fair for shoppers to use the shops as social venues? (They could easily have had their conversation outside in the car park even though the weather wasn't so nice)

I would just stop, excuse yourself and they will soon move on

In a one on one situation like that, I'd say they might need a mask and gloves and a gown which can be disposable or washed after each customer. Yeah as long as they have full PPE then I'd say they can get back to work. It's completely up to you to choose whether or not you want to go for your check up.

And you should not feel under any pressure or any obligation to reschedule until you're comfortable.

I dont mind going, they usually wear a mask & gloves anyway before all this, especially the hygienist when they are going to town on your teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

I turned back.

In the past I would have done the same. In this current situation it's too irresponsible for people to behave like this and I have no qualms to politely remind people that in order to keep social distancing they cannot just randomly decide to have a mid-aisle chat. I get eye rolls, but they do move along...:rolleyes:

My son went out for a run earlier today and said he passed a group in the local park, said at least 8 adults (parents) and all the kids playing together (about 10 kids)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

I turned back.

Fair enough, but where does this stop? Unless you were watching them for a few minutes, how do you know they were not having a very quick exchange? Maybe they know each other for years and haven't seen each other since before the lockdown? Maybe there WERE from the same household? Maybe they are just human and are not perfectly programmed robots with no emotion?

When I see this in a shop I just collect what I need and move on, very similar to what I did before covid. The fear and paranoia around this is terrible. Stay as safe as you can, of course, but there's an element of risk in everyday life, always has and there always will be. But that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭antimatterx

This lockdown needs to end, and we need to get back to our lives and just live with it. The numbers are so ridiculously that's it's laughable to keep the economy shut. It's over.

This thread is about social distancing ,not about the lockdown.

Social distancing will need to continue until such time as an effective vaccine is produced and whether or not there is a lockdown or not.

Social distancing will need to continue until such time as an effective vaccine is produced and whether or not there is a lockdown or not.

we could possibly be waiting a while then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

This thread is about social distancing ,not about the lockdown.

Simply not true. The 'new normal' will continue for a little while after Phase 5 but within a few months everything will be back to normal. It's not natural for people to live their lives this way and it should only be viewed as an emergency measure and rightly so.

I will personally be traveling one hour next weekend to visit and stay with my parents who I have not seen since before St Patrick's Day. I will wear a face mask (will purchase five to ten so I can change frequently) at all times around them and if the weather is nice we'll endeavor to stay outside for most of the weekend. I'll stay in the spare bedroom and will responsibly disinfect all surfaces and throw the bedding in the washing machine as I leave.

The above is me being responsible given the vast swathes of information that have been shoved down our throats the last few months and minimizing the risk. Confining people to house imprisonment in their own homes is not responsible on the government's part and the 5km/20 is nonsense. I can see the logic in terms of avoiding large crowds all congregating to common spots but this was surely something that was achieved by closing carparks and setting up checkpoints anyway.

The government needs to let people move on and trust responsibility in terms of social distancing. Frankly, those who are going to be irresponsible are already doing it and indeed have been from the very start.

By the way, I was the staunchest supporter of restrictions being imposed from as early as mid February but the actions from Tony et al the last few weeks are nothing short of a Chicken Little Act. They've lost my will and it's going to be sooner rather than later that groupthink will kick in.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Simply not true. The 'new normal' will continue for a little while after Phase 5 but within a few months everything will be back to normal. It's not natural for people to live their lives this way and it should only be viewed as an emergency measure and rightly so.

I will personally be traveling one hour next weekend to visit and stay with my parents who I have not seen since before St Patrick's Day. I will wear a face mask (will purchase five to ten so I can change frequently) at all times around them and if the weather is nice we'll endeavor to stay outside for most of the weekend. I'll stay in the spare bedroom and will responsibly disinfect all surfaces and throw the bedding in the washing machine as I leave.

The above is me being responsible given the vast swathes of information that have been shoved down our throats the last few months and minimizing the risk. Confining people to house imprisonment in their own homes is not responsible on the government's part and the 5km/20 is nonsense. I can see the logic in terms of avoiding large crowds all congregating to common spots but this was surely something that was achieved by closing carparks and setting up checkpoints anyway.

The government needs to let people move on and trust responsibility in terms of social distancing. Frankly, those who are going to be irresponsible are already doing it and indeed have been from the very start.

By the way, I was the staunchest supporter of restrictions being imposed from as early as mid February but the actions from Tony et al the last few weeks are nothing short of a Chicken Little Act. They've lost my will and it's going to be sooner rather than later that groupthink will kick in.

Well said , excellent post. They’ve lost the goodwill of so many of us , who initially supported the restrictions. Not any more.

I crossed the border 2 days ago, a 1 hour drive , to hike in the Mourne mountains, in Northern Ireland there are no restrictions on how far you can go, you can hike or socialize with 6people now . They are being treated like responsible adults up there not like bold children ! It was that or head to the doctor for anti depressants. I’ve done 10 weeks of this completely alone.

Tony Holohan has lost my respect at this stage. The rules keep changing ! We’ve ticked all the boxes they asked to be ticked. The psychology of fear has taken over the threat of Covid 19.

Enjoy visiting your parents !

What is ",simply not true" ?

Social distancing wiĺl come to an end even before a vaccine is found?

You know this because you wish it?

Because it is not "natural"?

This virus ,as things stands gives two fingers to your feelings

The logic of your argument is that herd immunity is the only way out of the situation.

The alternative is contact tracing when numbers are low enough and I imagine social distancing and mask wearing will still be needed then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Then you can plan for a second wave by Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

I got some masks yesterday in Dunnes - 15 euros for 20 which I think is reasonable.

Enjoy your visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The problem is they dragged the lockdown on too long and the road map is too slow . People are fed up of silly delays and restrictions and are doing their own thing . Had they opened up things quicker and at the same time with mandatory masks then people would be more inclined to listen
    As it is people can’t be arsed now with the slow lifting of certain restrictions and are doing as they see fit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

government and even fg ministers begining to put serious pressure on tony holohan and hse to bring back social distancing to 1 meter , personally i would say in phase 2 it will be brought back to 1 meter, in line with europe and who guide. this would make an awful lot of sense for schools , business and even public transport the width of a table is 1 meter so you could meet people outside your household across a meter table. brings a huge amount of pressure relase to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Pressure is indeed mounting to relax 2m rule but I don’t see Tony budging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

After walking down Bray seafront, it doesn't matter if they say 2m or 1m its packed and there isn't much distancing going on.

As has been said for a while now they've been so slow that people are moving ahead and making up their own minds. As they did when people began to make changes before restrictions were officially announced in March.

Advertisement