Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Then you can plan for a second wave by Christmas.
    Sooner than that, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Dickie10 wrote: »
    government and even fg ministers begining to put serious pressure on tony holohan and hse to bring back social distancing to 1 meter , personally i would say in phase 2 it will be brought back to 1 meter, in line with europe and who guide. this would make an awful lot of sense for schools , business and even public transport the width of a table is 1 meter so you could meet people outside your household across a meter table. brings a huge amount of pressure relase to everyone.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0524/1140284-coronavirus-ireland/

Clever by Paul Reid to introduce patient safety and health service capacity to the 2 metre rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

Gael23 wrote: »
    Pressure is indeed mounting to relax 2m rule but I don’t see Tony budging

Tony is loving the power trip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

tony is only human he will be told by government that its 1 meter fairly soon i would say. the government themselves are begining to get fed up with this racket too, theres a definite air of novelty worn off for the varadker, harris etc. thought leo a few weeks back on the late late had the look of a leader after a war had been won. seemed extremely sure of himself regarding crowds being ok for things after september 1st, like they said 5,000 + gathering after sept 1st? surely this means that soical distanceing should be tried to implement but not enforced? where would such a gathering take place , what did they mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Dickie10 wrote:
    seemed extremely sure of himself regarding crowds being ok for things after september 1st, like they said 5,000 + gathering after sept 1st?

Don't think that's the case at all. They said applications for licenses for events over 5,000 were automatically rejected between now and then. Nothing about events <5,000 being given the all clear or that events would go ahead after that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tony is loving the power trip
    What power would that be? :rolleyes:

tony is only human he will be told by government that its 1 meter fairly soon i would say. the government themselves are begining to get fed up with this racket too, theres a definite air of novelty worn off for the varadker, harris etc.
    Tony provides scientific / medical advice to the government. The government then make decisions based on the advice.
    Tony doesn't need to be told anything!

The game is up. We've ticked all the boxes and the numbers prove it. 4 deaths, 57 new cases, really good progress.
    People are getting on with their lives, an awful lot going outside the ridiculous 5km, finally visiting relatives, parents, partners, boyfriends and girlfriends. Life goes on. People are tired of being spoken to like 5 year olds! No credit, no appreciation, no thanks..........just frowning, we need to do more, flatten the curve, hold firm, stay safe, we're all in this together.................people are fatigued now. The Government have only themselves to blame. Nobody minded restrictions in the beginning but the goalposts kept changing and there was no reward for all our hard work. Now people are just moving on with life again . We have to live with Covid. Lockdown is not sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

People are tired of being spoken to like 5 year olds!
    there was no reward for all our hard work.

The lollipop at the end was a reduced impact from a global pandemic.

It sounds silly when posters claim to be speaking "for the people" when they are outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The game is up. We've ticked all the boxes and the numbers prove it. 4 deaths, 57 new cases, really good progress.
    People are getting on with their lives, an awful lot going outside the ridiculous 5km, finally visiting relatives, parents, partners, boyfriends and girlfriends. Life goes on. People are tired of being spoken to like 5 year olds! No credit, no appreciation, no thanks..........just frowning, we need to do more, flatten the curve, hold firm, stay safe, we're all in this together.................people are fatigued now. The Government have only themselves to blame. Nobody minded restrictions in the beginning but the goalposts kept changing and there was no reward for all our hard work. Now people are just moving on with life again . We have to live with Covid. Lockdown is not sustainable.

I'm happy to see other people on boards with similar thoughts to mine. In the end I'm happy we live in a country that gives a sh1t enough to lock down the country, we didn't know what we were dealing with at the start, the estimated deaths from this were absolutely shocking... we know better now, we know we've done well and now it's time to open up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

amandstu wrote: »
    What is ",simply not true" ?

Social distancing wiĺl come to an end even before a vaccine is found?

You know this because you wish it?

Because it is not "natural"?

This virus ,as things stands gives two fingers to your feelings

The logic of your argument is that herd immunity is the only way out of the situation.

The alternative is contact tracing when numbers are low enough and I imagine social distancing and mask wearing will still be needed then.
    I ****ing hate these phrases.

And virus or not, you won't get an entire country to social distance for a year. And yes, because it is not natural. That is a fact, humans are social beings. Have a look around, compliance is reducing by the day. Head in the clouds stuff to believe any majority of people will still distance in a few months time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

thought leo a few weeks back on the late late had the look of a leader after a war had been won. seemed extremely sure of himself regarding crowds being ok for things after september 1st, like they said 5,000 + gathering after sept 1st?

Leo said on the Late Late that after Sep 1st gatherings of 5,000+ were ok? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Fully agreed. I have always had a lot of regard for Simon Harris but he has shown himself as a puppet for Tony Holohan the last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

its only half living at this rate, vast majority of older people or those at risk groups would rather take thier chances and live life to the full than this racket my own father at 84 is seriously down in the dumps lately these people dont fear death but they fear another 3 months of this. that will kill an awful lot more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

saw a group of 20+ teenagers in my local park, didn't give a sh!t...and i suppose if i was their age i'd be the same esp in this weather....come the height of summer restrictions will be out the window with most people, i can envisage social unrest esp amongst the rough crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 20,198 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

its only half living at this rate, vast majority of older people or those at risk groups would rather take thier chances and live life to the full than this racket my own father at 84 is seriously down in the dumps lately these people dont fear death but they fear another 3 months of this. that will kill an awful lot more of them.

The older people and those at risk can do exactly the same as everyone else. The cocooning guidelines are only recommendations. Nobody is stopping them from doing the same as anyone else.

its only half living at this rate, vast majority of older people or those at risk groups would rather take thier chances and live life to the full than this racket
    When was this survey done?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

amandstu wrote: »
    This thread is about social distancing ,not about the lockdown.

Social distancing will need to continue until such time as an effective vaccine is produced and whether or not there is a lockdown or not.

Says who? You must be joking. Not a chance in hell will people continue to social distance till a vaccine is produced. One, because it is not necessary to social distance for the vast bulk of the population and two because nobody in their right mind would take a rushed vaccine and three because a healthy, adaptive immune system trumps a vaccine any day .
    It's obvious already that people are in very large numbers ignoring social distancing in public. They can assess risk, we all have a survival instinct and more and more people no longer consider Covid 19 a big threat. If they did, survival instinct would kick in.

WAW wrote: »
    Says who? You must be joking. Not a chance in hell will people continue to social distance till a vaccine is produced. One, because it is not necessary to social distance for the vast bulk of the population and two because nobody in their right mind would take a rushed vaccine and three because a healthy, adaptive immune system trumps a vaccine any day .
    It's obvious already that people are in very large numbers ignoring social distancing in public. They can assess risk, we all have a survival instinct and more and more people no longer consider Covid 19 a big threat. If they did, survival instinct would kick in.

Right. So you're talking about herd Immunity where the old and vulnerable people cocoon until there's a vaccine/herd Immunity or just take their chances with the disease.

I mean, a lot of people will die because most people have to get the disease. But that's the system you're suggesting, so fair enough.

When was this survey done?

Ah, stop. This is just an example of someone thinking what they want to be the case and pretending everyone else thinks it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

They are free to go out and meet people even groups of people so what do you mean?
    I really doubt that's true, otherwise they would all be outside not worrying about the virus. Anecdotally my 3 grandparents are a lot more afraid of it than social isolation but it doesn't mean they're not frustrated by the loneliness either. Don't see why you're pitting them against one another, most elderly people fear both, it's just an unfortunate situation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

fryup wrote: »
    saw a group of 20+ teenagers in my local park, didn't give a sh!t...and i suppose if i was their age i'd be the same esp in this weather....come the height of summer restrictions will be out the window with most people, i can envisage social unrest esp amongst the rough crowd

Yeh was out this evening saw at least 10 groups of 6 or more young people, no distancing. Social distancing is largely gone now

Right. So you're talking about herd Immunity where the old and vulnerable people cocoon until there's a vaccine/herd Immunity or just take their chances with the disease.

I mean, a lot of people will die because most people have to get the disease. But that's the system you're suggesting, so fair enough.
    Not exactly. Older people know that they have a certain amount of time left. I know loads of older people. Most want to get the best out of that time. And in my own experience, most don't want to be told to indefinitely cocoon or social distance. They can persevere for a while but it's counterproductive after a very short time. The law of diminishing returns.
    So yes, I think older independent and vulnerable people should be allowed to assess the risk for themselves. Elderly people in nursing homes were an afterthought - they should have been the first ones protected at the start of this Covid 19 response..
    Herd immunity yes is the best defence for now. I'm not anti vaccine but I certainly would not be encouraging elderly or immunocompromised to take a rushed vaccine. My dad ( underlying health conditions) used to get unbelievably sick every year from the flu jab until eventually his GP said it was making him 'ill and not to get it anymore. My mother never gets the vaccine (elderly, healthy). That would be a common enough reaction to flu vaccines in elderly. That's an anecdote for the purposes of saying that I suppose vaccines are not the panacea. Useful certainly but not the holy grail. I genuinely feel quality of life is more important for the elderly than length of life. In all the longevity studies, social connectivity come out top.

wakka12 wrote: »
    They are free to go out and meet people even groups of people so what do you mean?
    I really doubt that's true, otherwise they would all be outside not worrying about the virus. Anecdotally my 3 grandparents are a lot more afraid of it than social isolation but it doesn't mean they're not frustrated by the loneliness either. Don't see why you're pitting them against one another, most elderly people fear both, it's just an unfortunate situation

Free within 5km! Told to keep 2m apart. That's not freedom.

WAW wrote: »
    Not exactly. Older people know that they have a certain amount of time left. I know loads of older people. Most want to get the best out of that time. And in my own experience, most don't want to be told to indefinitely cocoon or social distance. They can persevere for a while but it's counterproductive after a very short time. The law of diminishing returns.
    So yes, I think older independent and vulnerable people should be allowed to assess the risk for themselves. Elderly people in nursing homes were an afterthought - they should have been the first ones protected at the start of this Covid 19 response..
    Herd immunity yes is the best defence for now. I'm not anti vaccine but I certainly would not be encouraging elderly or immunocompromised to take a rushed vaccine. My dad ( underlying health conditions) used to get unbelievably sick every year from the flu jab until eventually his GP said it was making him 'ill and not to get it anymore. My mother never gets the vaccine (elderly, healthy). That would be a common enough reaction to flu vaccines in elderly. That's an anecdote for the purposes of saying that I suppose vaccines are not the panacea. Useful certainly but not the holy grail. I genuinely feel quality of life is more important for the elderly than length of life. In all the longevity studies, social connectivity come out top.

So yes, exactly why I said. More old and vulnerable people will die under the situation you're advocating for. Thats exactly what I said and it's exactly what you're proposing.

Also, nobody had told old and vulnerable people what do to. The government had made recommendations based on the fact that the old and vulnerable people are much, much more elikely to die of the disease than young, healthy people.

Youre really advocating for herd Immunity and that basically means everyone has to get the disease and take their chances most will be fine and the old and vulnerable will perish. That's that system you're advocating for whether you like to think it through or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Youre really advocating for herd Immunity and that basically means everyone has to get the disease and take their chances most will be fine and the old and vulnerable will perish. That's that system you're advocating for whether you like to think it through or not.

Everyone does have to get the virus, well 60% or so anyway. That is, and always has been the end game and restrictions were only introduced to slow it down (only) to allow health services to cope.

Don't misinterpret 'flattening the curve' as something it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

June bank holiday weekend is going to be chaos, people have already abandoned the rules so the holiday homes & mobile home sites will be in full swing as people have now in the masses being informed of cancelled foreign holidays

They will want their break after the last 10 weeks

Not a chance will I or any of my family be taking any vaccine, especially one that is rushed

Gates and his vaccine crew can f off

People were skeptical of the MMR 20yrs ago that it could cause autism, no chance I'd take a risk with this and anyone that does should weigh up the pro's/cons

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    June bank holiday weekend is going to be chaos, people have already abandoned the rules so the holiday homes & mobile home sites will be in full swing as people have now in the masses being informed of cancelled foreign holidays

Not a chance will I or any of my family be taking any vaccine, especially one that is rushed

People were skeptical of the MMR 20yrs ago that it could cause autism, no chance I'd take a risk with this and anyone that does should weigh up the pro's/cons

Yes Gates is an evil bastard. Watch out for them vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Now now Gemma, the courts have already spoken.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,954 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

LOL

Advertisement