Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

One of the most successful countries in containing the pandemic, South Korea, is reintroducing containment measures due to a spike in infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Sarn

Social distancing is definitely going out the window with some. Just saw a Dublin bus go by that was over two thirds full upstairs, with them all packed together, two per seat, towards the back. Looked to be mostly teenagers. The downstairs was relatively empty.

Surprised the driver let them all on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Sarn wrote: »
    Social distancing is definitely going out the window with some. Just saw a Dublin bus go by that was over two thirds full upstairs, with them all packed together, two per seat, towards the back. Looked to be mostly teenagers. The downstairs was relatively empty.

Surprised the driver let them all on.

I'm not surprised, teenagers have an invisible shield to protect themselves from all ills, or so you would think. When their mammies and daddies are gasping for breath in a couple of months they will be so confused as to how that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

degsie wrote: »
    I'm not surprised, teenagers have an invisible shield to protect themselves from all ills, or so you would think. When their mammies and daddies are gasping for breath in a couple of months they will be so confused as to how that happened.

Well there will be outrage on Social Media about it, that's for sure. They'll probably go visit granny or grandad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Benimar wrote: »
    According to the current restrictions you cannot do that. If you want to break restrictions thats up to you, and you are unlikely to be 'caught', but you should not be having people in the house at the moment if you want to stick to the guidelines.

Yes I'm not going to. We'll sit in the garden and have a drink and not have them in the house.

I've been so strict on following "the rules" up to now, I'd feel like I'm cheating myself if I broke them at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

looks like Tony and HSE are begining to break under pressure from government and opposition to speed things up. i would expect 1.5 meter to be introduced fairly soon before restaurants and pubs with grub open at the end of next month. 1 meter will be in before schhools open

Or they're attending Gran's funeral. You can't put an old head on young shoulders.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    looks like Tony and HSE are begining to break under pressure from government and opposition to speed things up. i would expect 1.5 meter to be introduced fairly soon before restaurants and pubs with grub open at the end of next month. 1 meter will be in before schhools open

Looks like the schools reopening might be of benefit for some :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Looks like the schools reopening might be of benefit for some :)

Good one , You noticed a spell mistake , good man

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

According to the current restrictions you cannot do that. If you want to break restrictions thats up to you, and you are unlikely to be 'caught', but you should not be having people in the house at the moment if you want to stick to the guidelines.

you are right, but from what i have seen people have just decided to hell with this and we go back to normal, lockdown over afaiac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    you are right, but from what i have seen people have just decided to hell with this and we go back to normal, lockdown over afaiac
    Some people. The vast majority of people I know are still doing their bit, and know they'll have to keep on doing it for a while.

We've never needed 100% compliance, we just need enough people to do the right thing and they can carry the rest (as usual).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Lex Luthor wrote: »

I live in a seaside town. I went for a walk down by the beach today, mid afternoon. Compliance with social distancing was as close to 100% as you could reasonably expect. Apart from 2 groups of teenagers, I didn’t see a single person flaunting the SD rules.

The only people I know willingly breaching restrictions are in 3 houses on my estate. They started in mid April and are just the sort who think it won’t affect them, so will never comply. Those sort of people will always exist.

I think compliance is much higher than some on here would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

At least winning the lotto will cheer them up. Similar probability (SFA).

Jackman25 wrote: »
    At least winning the lotto will cheer them up. Similar probability (SFA).

You have a choice if you want to buy a Lottery ticket or not. The virus just wants to get into your lungs in whatever way it can, whether you want it to or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

I think compliance is much higher than some on here would have you believe.

Compliance was about 30% at best before the stickers went on the ground, the one in one out rules etc, which all started the Monday after the Friday lockdown announcement.

70% of the Irish population were too lazy to do this themselves.

Even on my site the boss insists on talking to me face to face when the other side of the room would equally suffice. Of 10 people there I'm the only one who can be bothered with SD.

We're just lucky this thing seems all but dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

Its reported today man onboard flight to lanzarote got a positive result while onboard the plane - 140 people quarantined - The man now faces prosecution for skipping quarantine and the State of Emergency and has been reported for a possible crime against public health - this does not bode well

Compliance was about 30% at best before the stickers went on the ground, the one in one out rules etc, which all started the Monday after the Friday lockdown announcement.

70% of the Irish population were too lazy to do this themselves.

Even on my site the boss insists on talking to me face to face when the other side of the room would equally suffice. Of 10 people there I'm the only one who can be bothered with SD.

We're just lucky this thing seems all but dead.

The virus is all but dead? Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Went to get few things in Woodies today, well about 50 people outside queuing up to get inside like honestly would you be bothered :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

What’s it to you? This virtue signaling about queues is pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,653 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

How long was it taking to get in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

No, I wouldn’t. Did you queue yourself or did you take off when you saw the queue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

stevek93 wrote: »
    Went to get few things in Woodies today, well about 50 people outside queuing up to get inside like honestly would you be bothered :confused:

I'd say they all went to get a few things in Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Jim Root wrote: »
    What’s it to you? This virtue signaling about queues is pathetic

How many rolls of toilet paper have you got left?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

No, I wouldn’t. Did you queue yourself or did you take off then you saw the queue?

I took off, I can wait I suppose until everything clams down a bit I could see the staff in woodies were very stressed having to deal with such a high volume of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

No I wouldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭daheff

Nothing else for people to do. Why not go to Woodies & queue to get stuff to do up your home.

Similar queues for some Tesco's at time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

"I was bothered enough to go to a place likely to have a queue, and a queue was there, then I complained that other people were bothered as well, only I may be bothered enough to go to places that have queues."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Always queues around a bank holiday, you'd swear shops were never going to open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Get the shopping and a tan. Why not?

What else you gonna do if you're more than 5kms from a beach.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

stevek93 wrote: »

Multiply yourself by 50 and think about it a bit.

Advertisement