Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

jaysus id say america will totally turn it around now that some clowns walked around dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

alta stare wrote: »
    Personally i dont care what happens in America. I care for my own and right now our government are encouraging severe financial hardship on their own people by insisting they keep their businesses closed and keep themselves locked up with only a 5k travel limit. Absolute nonsense.

If you cared for your own you wouldn't defending muppets engaging in behaviour likely to spread the virus and mean the restrictions last even longer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Call me naive but I really thought RTÉ was better than that, not commenting on the social distancing issues associated with the event is one of the most obvious media biases I've ever witnessed in state news coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

RTE falling over itself to make excuses for the marchers not bothering to follow social distancing

Yeah but why would anyone trust RTE or put any credence in social distancing in the first place?

Apart from a few obscure studies modelling influenza pandemics SD was basically unknown and untested. One step above junk science.

RTE promoted it heavily for months but in the balance care nothing about it.

For anyone genuinely shocked by this:

Here's your chance to learn a lesson about life, if you aren't insisting on playing dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

jaysus id say america will totally turn it around now that some clowns walked around dublin

The Skibereen Eagle hasn't gone away you know...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Activists rather than protesters according to the Guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,181 ✭✭✭✭walshb

jackboy wrote: »
    We will see tomorrow if Tony Holohan is the real deal or if he is just a fraud. His response to this protest will actually define his performance in his role.

Him, Harris and Varadkar..

Unanimity is needed here. And very firm...

But let’s bloody hope one of the journalists puts it to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Realistically TH should come out tonight and advise anyone who attended the protest to self-isolate for two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rtes next report was about NI relaxing restrictions and from next week you can meet someone not from your family.

That's all?

Sure head down to Dublin and you can meet hundreds who you don't even know and go for a dander in the sun with them. All okay with the watching Gardai and the state broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If you cared for your own you wouldn't defending muppets engaging in behaviour likely to spread the virus and mean the restrictions last even longer.

I cannot control what others do nor do i really care. The facts and figures have already shown where this virus is hitting hard. It would be much more productive for our government to go after these places than keep us all wrapped up in silly restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

A handful of Debenhams workers weren't allowed a social distance protest outside the shop but yet this was no problem?

risteard7 wrote: »
    A handful of Debenhams workers weren't allowed a social distance protest outside the shop but yet this was no problem?

People can't go to funerals..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I can't go for a meal and a pint and that shambles is tolerated by the law?

You mean soup and a sandwich and ten pint pints of Guinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Call me naive but I really thought RTÉ was better than that, not commenting on the social distancing issues associated with the event is one of the most obvious media biases I've ever witnessed in state news coverage

walshb wrote: »

And what do you expect them to do? Arrest them all or implement tougher restrictions to the rest of us??? None of those two options will work.

The government have lost control and it is about time too. They are driving our economy into the ground. At some point people were going to change.

Anyone who has worries stay in and protect yourselves....the rest of us should be allowed get on with our lives.

Activists rather than protesters according to the Guardian.

twitter exists

we're all activists now, father

I cannot control what others do nor do i really care. The facts and figures have already shown where this virus is hitting hard. It would be much more productive for our government to go after these places than keep us all wrapped up in silly restrictions.

Let hundreds march in the epicentre of the Irish virus, but sure stop a few people in Donegal going to the beach, despite the fact we have next to no cases of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

risteard7 wrote: »
    They obviously weren't black or American.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

prunudo wrote: »
    Absolutely, their current affairs preformance and ability to be critical the last 2 months has been shocking. Fawning over the protest then follow it by showing people complaining about a few house parties in Cork, get real. This whole lockdown has turned into a farce.

All the while with the permanent “Stay at Home” message on the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I don't know how many people have been arrested or fined for breaking social distancing/travel laws in recent weeks but if I was one of those people I would be suing the state now for discriminatory arrest, today showed there are rules for some and not for others. A televised event on national Main Street with no Garda intervention or even monitoring . How can they expect anyone to follow any rules set by them by from now on. If I was a cafe owner I'd have the place packed out this evening, why would you follow government rules any longer if your business suffers when others doing the same thing have not suffered any consequence? I would set and follow my own rules because that is what the government allowed thousands to do today very publicly for extended periods of time.

The government have ended their own lockdown today through inaction. Anything coming out of their mouths now means nothing, you can do what you want, and any disapproval from the government is hypocrisy at it's finest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

why do they not care we are trying to social distance how dare they N...... bring this on our community

NIMAN wrote: »
    Let hundreds march in the epicentre of the Irish virus, but sure stop a few people in Donegal going to the beach, despite the fact we have next to no cases of it.

Yep it makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

KevRossi wrote: »
    A good whack of them with the US style cardboard signs being held aloft are there for their own personal gratification.

And no, Sorcha Pollak, this is not the biggest protest in Dublin for years. Nice try, but maybe try to get your facts right.

https://twitter.com/SorchaPollak/status/1267465666845724675

Great to see so many white Irish people sticking it to the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

walshb wrote: »

They won't though. It will be ignored and the same journalists want you to value their work and pay for 'quality journalism'. Don't forget, there are some within the political parties that want the wider media supported by tax-payers money.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fianna-f%C3%A1il-proposes-creating-30m-fund-for-print-journalism-1.3581987

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Activists my bollix - those ****ing ***** would want to go away and activate their brains before they start getting ideas about anything else. Muppets every last one of them and if you are reading this post and were part of it then **** you you muppet - **** off to the US and see how far your protest gets there you insufferable ****.

I don't know how many people have been arrested or fined for breaking social distancing/travel laws in recent weeks but if I was one of those people I would be suing the state now for discriminatory arrest, today showed there are rules for some and not for others. A televised event on national Main Street with no Garda intervention or even monitoring . How can they expect anyone to follow any rules set by them by from now on. If I was a cafe owner I'd have the place packed out this evening, why would you follow government rules any longer if your business suffers ?

Those bloody laws were on shaky ground anyway hence the reason why they haven't been using it all too much.

I don't know how many people have been arrested or fined for breaking social distancing/travel laws in recent weeks but if I was one of those people I would be suing the state now for discriminatory arrest, today showed there are rules for some and not for others. A televised event on national Main Street with no Garda intervention or even monitoring . How can they expect anyone to follow any rules set by them by from now on. If I was a cafe owner I'd have the place packed out this evening, why would you follow government rules any longer if your business suffers ?

Any solicitor worth their salt would have no bother arguing this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

And what do you expect them to do? Arrest them all or implement tougher restrictions to the rest of us??? None of those two options will work.

The government have lost control and it is about time too. They are driving our economy into the ground. At some point people were going to change.

Anyone who has worries stay in and protect yourselves....the rest of us should be allowed get on with our lives.
    People have not been allowed to go to the funerals of family and friends. People cannot visit relatives in nursing homes.

If this protest is not condemned in the strongest terms then TH, Harris and Leo can legitimately be described as a national disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,181 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No, I don’t expect Harris, Varadkar or Holohan to arrest anyone...

I expect them to condemn the protesters as utterly reckless..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

The same left wing Politicians who supported this march will be screaming blue murder in late August if even 1 teacher gets 'forced' back into a classroom against their will (after over 8 months off)

Advertisement