Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

The more I think about the complete lack of condemnation of the manner of this protest, the more disgusted I am. We're stopping people from getting diagnosed and treated for serious illnesses. We're stopping people from going to funerals, from seeing their families and friends. We're stopping businesses from trading and destroying jobs. It's a ****ing joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

So if you don't care about America, you agree that tits who flaunt the lockdown for a protest about American issues is ridiculous?

Or do you believe that there isn't a pandemic and people should be allowed do what they want?

No i dont care about America.

No i dont care about the protest.

Yes i believe the virus is out there.

No i dont believe it is as bad as our government are telling us.

Yes i believe the restrictions have become silly and unnecessary.

Yes i believe it is time to open up the country.

Yes i believe that those in fear or at risk should protect themselves and yes i believe they can do so by staying in while the rest of us go about our lives.

Does that answer enough for you or will you continue to be outraged?

Three smileys and a “you ok hun”? Really?

That’s not really an argument, it’s actually pitiful. Probably best to just unfollow if you’re that low into the barrel.

And the abuse is ok?

Ok so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

GazzaL wrote: »
    The more I think about the complete lack of condemnation of the manner of this protest, the more disgusted I am. We're stopping people from getting diagnosed and treated for serious illnesses. We're stopping people from going to funerals, from seeing their families and friends. We're stopping businesses from trading and destroying jobs. It's a ****ing joke.

Absolutely - we not allowed to see family or friends, but that doesn’t apply to Leo? Then to rub salt in the wounds - he doesn’t have the balls to condemn those pricks marching today for something that has nothing to do with this country? Leo can **** off, an absolute prick and a hypocrite to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭KaneToad

alta stare wrote: »

Do you think the govt are telling lies?

Or do you think NPHET are telling lies or are just not qualified to give advice about the spread of a serious disease?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

:D My man cave has loads of cool stuff. Still though i dont be in it much. I'm too busy enjoying myself outside....being active.

Wow you sound so cool. Can I be in your gang?

KaneToad wrote: »
    Do you think the govt are telling lies?

Or do you think NPHET are telling lies or are just not qualified to give advice about the spread of a serious disease?

I think they are fabricating the truth to save face.

I think NPHET are covering their own asses as when this blows over those in power will look for scapegoats when the scandal about the PPE and nursing homes comes to light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

GazzaL wrote: »

For sure.

Are we still living with the 5km distance for recreational purposes restriction?

I don't believe all them who marched in Dublin today would be from Dublin breaking the 5km limit.

Two problems with this:
    1) Dublin seeing more cases
    2) More cases and clusters forming outside of Dublin

Will the Tony and the team be recommendong all of these people to isolate at home for 14 days in case they come down with the virus?

martin101 wrote: »
    Wow you sound so cool. Can I be in your gang?

Thanks and no as you are too uptight. Relax and i will think about it.

I think they are fabricating the truth to save face.

I think NPHET are covering their own asses as when this blows over those in power will look for scapegoats when the scandal about the PPE and nursing homes comes to light.

Really the restrictions don’t suit you so it’s all a big conspiracy.

• Advertisement

Really the restrictions don’t suit you so it’s all a big conspiracy.

Now where did i say it was a conspiracy? If you got that from my post then i suggest you re read it a few times.

Take your time.

And the abuse is ok?

Ok so :D

Abuse! Go on out of that ye little snowflake. :D

Abuse! Go on out of that ye little snowflake. :D

Ah martin you can do better than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Absolutely - we not allowed to see family or friends, but that doesn’t apply to Leo? Then to rub salt in the wounds - he doesn’t have the balls to condemn those pricks marching today for something that has nothing to do with this country? Leo can **** off, an absolute prick and a hypocrite to boot.

The way I see it is that Leo and FG were doing well in the recent polls, and even I was thinking of voting for them in the coming months when the coalition talks failed. But after this incident, it just goes to show that Virtue Signalling reigns supreme. And Leo showed us his true colours.

Sinn Fein played a blinder through all of this. People were complaining about how quiet they were through this pandemic. Now we know why. Leo just destroyed his party's chances of a majority government.

Virtue Signalling over your country's well being. Go figure. You couldn't help yourself.

Ah martin you can do better than that.

Yeah probably could but I'll just get a ban on here then ;)

No i dont care about America.

No i dont care about the protest.

Yes i believe the virus is out there.

Yes i believe the restrictions have become silly and unnecessary.

Yes i believe it is time to open up the country.

Yes i believe that those in fear or at risk should protect themselves and yes i believe they can do so by staying in while the rest of us go about our lives.

Does that answer enough for you or will you continue to be outraged?

Thanks. I appreciate your answers and am not completely at odds with your answers.

I admit I am outraged and to be honest I'm a little embarrassed. I have been castigating and giving out to family members for not taking the lockdown seriously enough. I had my reasons (which now aren't a concern) but I have been exceptionally careful and to be honest, terrified by the last few months.

I am so angry and outraged by today's events. I feel like I have been doing everything I have done for the last couple of months for nothing. If the virus is as bad as we have been told, then there will and should be a massive spike. This was a mini Cheltenham so to speak.

If there isn't a spike, then why have I put my family through the hardship we went through?

I feel stupid, I feel outraged and I feel confused. And to see Leo come out with such panderous, clickbait like-whoring on social media tonight is disgusting and a slap in the face to those who listened to him

So I'm sorry if I directed my anger at you tonight. It's not on you. It's on me. I just feel utterly let down, disappointed and sad.

Yeah probably could but I'll just get a ban on here then ;)

No harm big boy go ahead and be brave behind your anonymous post.. that will put me in my place....... quick before a mod comes.

Thanks. I appreciate your answers and am not completely at odds with your answers.

I admit I am outraged and to be honest I'm a little embarrassed. I have been castigating and giving out to family members for not taking the lockdown seriously enough. I had my reasons (which now aren't a concern) but I have been exceptionally careful and to be honest, terrified by the last few months.

I am so angry and outraged by today's events. I feel like I have been doing everything I have done for the last couple of months for nothing. If the virus is as bad as we have been told, then there will and should be a massive spike. This was a mini Cheltenham so to speak.

If there isn't a spike, then why have I put my family through the hardship we went through?

I feel stupid, I feel outraged and I feel confused. And to see Leo come out with such panderous, clickbait like-whoring on social media tonight is disgusting and a slap in the face to those who listened to him

So I'm sorry if I directed my anger at you tonight. It's not on you. It's on me. I just feel utterly let down, disappointed and sad.

I feel sorry for those who have been scared by our leaders. I feel sorry for those who have missed funerals because of our leaders. I feel sorry for those people who are out of work where some may not even return because of our leaders.

Our leaders have shown us they have no backbone nor do they have the ability to see us through times like these. For me i cannot sit back and accept all that they tell us. In time they will be shown to be spineless cowards who managed to ruin our country for many years to come.

I sincerely hope you try and break free of their restrictions. You will feel better for it.

I feel sorry for those who have been scared by our leaders. I feel sorry for those who have missed funerals because of our leaders. I feel sorry for those people who are out of work where some may not even return because of our leaders.

Our leaders have shown us they have no backbone nor do they have the ability to see us through times like these. For me i cannot sit back and accept all that they tell us. In time they will be shown to be spineless cowards who managed to ruin our country for many years to come.

I sincerely hope you try and break free of their restrictions. You will feel better for it.

Is that you Gemma or John?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,178 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It will be an absolute disgrace if the NPHET and the government don’t condemn this farce that occurred today..

A shower of absolute charlatans if they try and condone/defend or ignore it..

And a gross insult to all the people tirelessly abiding by the advice given..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

owlbethere wrote: »
    Is that you Gemma or John?

Haven't seen that before, did you come up with it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Right, that’s me done with this.

I was on board up until a few weeks ago, and still adhered to the rules/guidelines up until today, but seeing what’s been going on for most of May and then what we saw today in Dublin has made me do a 180.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

sterz wrote: »
    Right, that’s me done with this.

I was on board up until a few weeks ago, and still adhered to the rules/guidelines up until today, but seeing what’s been going on for most of May and then what we saw today in Dublin has made me do a 180.

Same it has completely changed my mind on all of this, it makes a joke of everything the country has worked toward for the last two months, all the sacrifices they have made. People's livelihoods down the drain, it is so disrespectful , and for the government to not even give as much as single sign of disapproval, they actually encouraged and condoned it. I will not be respecting a single rule they set out from now on, and I don't know why anyone would after today. Do what's best for yourself, because they government don't know, and they also don't care what you do either.

walshb wrote: »
    It will be an absolute disgrace if the NPHET and the government don’t condemn this farce that occurred today..

A shower of absolute charlatans if they try and condone/defend or ignore it..

And a gross insult to all the people tirelessly abiding by the advice given..

I have honestly been sitting here, television off, staring into space, checking boards every now and again because I can't go to bed at the moment .

I honestly can't believe people thought their actions were ok today.

I was in the phoenix park on Saturday (not for the protest but because it was part of my 5km exercise) and the part of the protest I saw and the general demeanor of the public inthe park was fine. A lot of people but staying well away from each other, crossing paths if not able to accommodate people passing on the pavement, smiling and nodding etc.

I stupidly thought... "Hmmm.. maybe this "new normal" will be ok for a while.

Nope.

Shocking footage in America of racism means that there months of hardship and sacrifice should be ****ed away. These same people would have been the same people lambasting Cheltenham festival attendees and Dominic Cummings.

Ugh.

Sorry. Ranting again. It just hurts because I was starting to begin to feel positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Do not be intimidated by the threat of Gardai action.
    When I realised that these restrictions were very selective, I decided today to venture out multitudes of my "restricted" (jailed) distances, and traveled across 3 counties to end up on a beach where I spent 4 hours enjoying walking along the ocean's edge, watching the dolphins off the coast, breathing pure, natural salt air ..... and more importantly becoming a human being once again. I did not encounter one Guard on my journey, but had also decided that they were not going to stop me from completing my journey.

Saying all that, I had hand sanitiser, masks (just in case), and fully complied with social distancing rules. Listen; I even had a 99 today for the first time in many months. At no stage today, even in a fairly busy beach did anyone come within 2 metres of me.

Here is my message: Do not let "them" destroy your spirit.
    When you see Leo supporting the obvious antithesis of social distancing rules with the "Black Lives In America" protest in Dublin, you just have to take a stance and decide that you have to live a normal life.
    Just live your life .... responsibly and consciously ..... and we will get through this..... without insincere politicians in the forefront.

Just wondering when is the Irish protest taking place to “Stop the mob violence and anarchy and looting in America?”

Whether you are pro lockdown or anti lockdown, whether you believe Covid is a threat or not, ALL should be united in condemning the gathering today.

Condemning it because it goes against everything that our elected politicians have asked us ALL to do...

We are all in this, no matter what our beliefs and views on the virus..

walshb wrote: »
    Whether you are pro lockdown or anti lockdown, whether you believe Covid is a threat or not, ALL should be united in condemning the gathering today.

Condemning it because it goes against everything that our elected politicians have asked us ALL to do...

We are all in this, no matter what our beliefs and views on the virus..

That's my point though. I genuinely thought we all were in this together. I didn't realise that we are only in this together as long as it is a social media or populous metric.

I put aside my dislike for leo, put aside my dislike for being told what to do and sacrificed mentally and physically through the hardest period of my life because I was told I was keeping people safe.

I found out today that my sacrifice was for nothing and that American racism is more important than my family's safety or even more worryingly, the sacrifices I made weren't necessary.

Either way, I'm honestly upset. I absolutely oppose racism, but not to the extent where I would put my family's life in danger to prove it. And that's what we've been told gathering in crowds would do.

A video came up on the TikTok earlier for me. It was of the protest in Dublin. People kneeling for George. I tapped into the comment section. Reading the comments it appears as if there's another protest for next Saturday the 6th but I don't have any details about that. I don't know if it's true.

If theres another protest in Dublin, like seriously what the fcuk do you want Dublin to do about what's happening in America?

It definitely looks as if its a greta style of movement from young people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

owlbethere wrote: »
    A video came up on the TikTok earlier for me. It was of the protest in Dublin. People kneeling for George. I tapped into the comment section. Reading the comments it appears as if there's another protest for next Saturday the 6th but I don't have any details about that. I don't know if it's true.

If theres another protest in Dublin, like seriously what the fcuk do you want Dublin to do about what's happening in America?

It definitely looks as if its a greta style of movement from young people.

They are planning one in Arthur’s Quay park in Limerick as well - the gardai will be getting a phone call tomorrow as a heads up and hopefully they close the park completely off next weekend. These virtue signalling dickheads can go and **** themselves if they think this is ok and they are exempt from the rules on the rest of us - - better yet they can all **** off to the US if they really want to join the protests.

Advertisement