Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

When that lunatic Gemma ODoherty was having her court malarkey, I said only a ****ing idiot would turn up to that protest. Turns out, it's only acceptable to be an idiot as long as you are seen to be virtuous.

I ****ing hate Gemma ODoherty. But it seems like despite her cause being bogus, the furore over her lockdown flaunting was lipservice.

Genuinely feels like I'm living in the upside down where Gemma ODoherty isn't 100% wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I saw the bullsh1t videos from Salthill on Saturday. Basically a group of young teenagers 13/14/15 year old on the beach. They were drinking (underage). The Gardaí came to the beach to break up the underage drinkers and to disperse the crowd. The teenagers weren't too happy and they started to cause some issues for the gardai. A few of them had to be arrested. The drama was videoed by some of them. There were some coloured people there and they were shouting the racism card and 'now Ireland, now Ireland'. Comparing what happened in America to a group og young teenagers, drinking in public in broad daylight, illegally - during a pandemic where we've been asked not to form in crowds.

It's just another movement for the youngsters to get on board. That's all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭amandstu

pinkyeye wrote: »
    UK definitely, they are the worst country in Europe at the moment for new cases. No way they have it under control.

How are you proposing we close the border with the UK when N.Ireland is a part of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

Rfrip wrote: »
    I just can’t fathom it. 9 people at my dads funeral three wks ago and I couldn’t even be in the same room as him before he died.

Like this is insane. I’m so hurt

That's truly awful. Please accept my sympathies. After losing my dad a few years ago, there is something very deeply comforting about the human contact of people offering their condolences during a very difficult time.
    Seeing a packed church for the funeral was a wonderful reminder of much he was thought about. I can't imagine a situation where one isn't afforded an opportunity to say goodbye, and where funeral numbers are so limited. And yet, the many people marching on Monday are so ignorant of all of this. Their selfishness is matched by their eagerness for social media recognition. I really do despair for this upcoming generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Pathethic. Spineless response or lack of comment from party leaders and the media.

They would be lining up to critisise if it was anti abortion etc. Pure for click and likes, populist politics.

They have lost alot of goodwill for me due to this. This lockdown is killing the economy, but it seems OK to ignore if you support the current Western cause of the week.

• Advertisement

These little pricks are arseholes https://www.buzz.ie/amp/news/three-uk-teens-who-mocked-george-floyds-death-arrested-371710#click=https://t.co/tkGYPuqhO7

But Leo's tweet has caused me anxiety and stress too. Can he be charged with a hate crime?

They are but they haven't killed anyone, those at todays protest could literally cost lives

walshb wrote: »
    Just wondering when is the Irish protest taking place to “Stop the mob violence and anarchy and looting in America?”

Or the fact homesexuality is a criminal offence in the Middle East?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

I support the sentiment of the protest, it should have been expressed via online means or a small symbolic socially distanced protest at best. Tbh it shouldn't have been allowed to go ahead, it makes a complete mockery of the last few months, of peoples sacrifices and adhering to the guidelines. Leo's omission of anything about social distancing in his comments are deplorable, I'll adhere to the guidelines and hopefully most will, can I blame those that don't due to this? nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭sallyanne12

I have been sticking rigidly to the public health advice for the past 3 months. Yesterday I decided to go for a walk and the amount of people who came so close beside me. I was walking down the street and a woman comes right up behind me and walks into me?! I got so annoyed and said “people are meant to keep 2 meter distance”. I don’t understand it??? Then a family walk all in a line side by side taking up the whole footpath (with trees all along the side) so I had nowhere to go except rubbing against them to walk by...
    I then drove around and saw packed parks and beaches with absolutely zero social distancing.

To be honest I’m surprised the numbers aren’t through the roof with how badly people are behaving.
    why Are so many people not taking it seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I have been sticking rigidly to the public health advice for the past 3 months. Yesterday I decided to go for a walk and the amount of people who came so close beside me. I was walking down the street and a woman comes right up behind me and walks into me?! I got so annoyed and said “people are meant to keep 2 meter distance”. I don’t understand it??? Then a family walk all in a line side by side taking up the whole footpath (with trees all along the side) so I had nowhere to go except rubbing against them to walk by...
    I then drove around and saw packed parks and beaches with absolutely zero social distancing.

To be honest I’m surprised the numbers aren’t through the roof with how badly people are behaving.
    why Are so many people not taking it seriously?

And yet the numbers are stable for the past 2 weeks... So it is almost like everything that shocks you so much had little impact on spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

If people coming against you aren't making any room on the path, just start coughing to create the Moses effect

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So , all the over 70 stayed indoors for 6 weeks , we did what we were asked to do and we stayed away from family etc
    Little did we know that all we had to do was carry a banner condemning racism and we could have gone to the beach with our banners and had a walk
    Funerals can now go ahead as long as the all carry s banner and shout something ?
    Weddings can take place with large crowds once the all carry a banner and protest against racism ?
    In fact sure the Leaving would have been grand if the arrived all together with banners and looked alert and protested about something .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So , all the over 70 stayed indoors for 6 weeks , we did what we were asked to do and we stayed away from family etc
    Little did we know that all we had to do was carry a banner condemning racism and we could have gone to the beach with our banners and had a walk
    Funerals can now go ahead as long as the all carry s banner and shout something ?
    Weddings can take place with large crowds once the all carry a banner and protest against racism ?
    In fact sure the Leaving would have been grand if the arrived all together with banners and looked alert and protested about something .

Yep. Havent seen my sick mother in weeks. I'll be visiting her this weekend. Might keep a banner for a trendy cause in the back of the car in case the Guards stop me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I think the best thing everyone can do here is to either post tweets on Varadkar's and Harris's Twitter pages or email them to register our dissatisfaction with what happened yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

keano_afc wrote: »
    Yep. Havent seen my sick mother in weeks. I'll be visiting her this weekend. Might keep a banner for a trendy cause in the back of the car in case the Guards stop me.

"Hello Guard, my mother and I are protesting Republicans blocking mail-in ballot initiatives for the November US Presidential election"

"Carry on"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Spot on 100% with this.

Is Zara King going in to this evenings briefing? Here's a question for her to ask of the team?

Can weddings go ahead this summer as planned so long as the bride and groom and the attendees carry banners and claim its a protest against racism?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Seamai wrote: »
    I think the best thing everyone can do here is to either post tweets on Varadkar's and Harris's Twitter pages or email them to register our dissatisfaction with what happened yesterday.

Leo was out in Park last week, why would any young person listen to him saying stay at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,178 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Leo was out in Park last week, why would any young person listen to him saying stay at home?

Yes, but he was abiding by the regulations that day...you can leave your house....people are not being told they cannot leave the house...

Yesterday there was a flagrant breach of the regulations, and if he, and those he is leading on this, have any real gumption and honesty and integrity, then they will come out firmly to denounce what happened yesterday....

If they do not, then they are showing the people nothing but contempt. They cannot undo what happened yesterday, but they can get the people's respect by standing with the people on this.....

And not just them....opposition parties and politicians are key here. Are the 'largest' party and main opposition party, SF going to make a statement here?

It's crunch time....and I don't think these people will rise to the occasion. No backbone......weaseling!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

alta stare wrote: »
    No harm big boy go ahead and be brave behind your anonymous post.. that will put me in my place....... quick before a mod comes.

Send me a pm so and we talk it out like men. No problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Does anyone know if any TD has questioned the lack of social distancing at the march yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Does anyone know if any TD has questioned the lack of social distancing at the march yet?

It won't be brought up as they will be branded racist....

Racist is actually the stupidest word one could use as they've worn it out its used so much for their agenda....

Big finger from them all to us Irish fools..

It won't be brought up as they will be branded racist....

Racist is actually the stupidest word one could use as they've worn it out its used so much for their agenda....

Big finger from them all to us Irish fools..

I get you

But any half educated and skilled orator could absolutely bring it up and explain it without being accused of racism...

Anyway, I don't expect any of them to have the backbone to do the right thing here

For me it's an affront to democracy and decency by staying quiet. Shameful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Hahahaha.

No chance of that happening. I did see one pathetic attempt by Patrick Costello of the Green party to claim that social distancing was being observed by the marchers. Despite all the videos, photographs, and social media statuses. Absolutely deluded.

How and where was this march organised?

How and where was this march organised?

Indeed. Who in power and responsibility knew about it?

People didn't just rock up out of the blue here......

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

I'm so annoyed over this protest after looking at the news last night - how did the government allow this ?

Myself and my family have obeyed the rules since the start and I see this aloud ?

Then I listen to the rhetorical radio adds with the person with the school teacher voice tell me in her firm but fair voice what I can and cant do and then to tell me ' we are all in this together' WE are not in this together!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sarah mcinerney on RTÉ made a very mild reference to the march now. She said some at were social distancing and some weren’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Does anyone know the aproximate number of people in the march? Just trying to establish a baseline for the indoor vs outdoor spread efficientcy of this virus.

Based on the current active case counts it should be possible to estimate the amount if infected people in the crowd. Then, monitoring the cases that get linked back to that event should give us a good idea of the attack rate in an outdoor crowd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, but he was abiding by the regulations that day...you can leave your house....people are not being told they cannot leave the house...

Yesterday there was a flagrant breach of the regulations, and if he, and those he is leading on this, have any real gumption and honesty and integrity, then they will come out firmly to denounce what happened yesterday....

And not just them....opposition parties and politicians are key here. Are the 'largest' party and main opposition party, SF going to make a statement here?

If they do not, then they are showing the people nothing but contempt. They cannot undo what happened yesterday, but they can get the people's respect by standing with the people on this.....

It's crunch time....and I don't think these people will rise to the occasion. No backbone......weaseling!

Were the public advised not be have picnics in the park?

A simple yes or no will do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm so annoyed over this protest after looking at the news last night - how did the government allow this ?
    What choice have they got?

Start carrying out arrests? Great, now you've got 20 people arrested and your entire capacity of holding vehicles has been used up. What do you do about the other 500 people? Not to mention the 100 who now have crowded around to argue with you about it?

If limiting human-to-human contact and dispersing the crowd is the aim, then it seems like allowing the march to proceed, get it over with and advising and pointing out social distancing, is the lesser of all evils.

By all accounts, there was social distancing happening in this march and it wasn't the typical crowded affair that we see.

It's regrettable that people would choose to march in the middle of a pandemic, but we have to make the best of what we have. Any attempt to ban or disperse the march would likely have created riskier conditions, not safer ones.

Advertisement