Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

seamus wrote: »
    By all accounts, there was social distancing happening in this march and it wasn't the typical crowded affair that we see.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nkh9F4iFdY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

By all accounts, there was social distancing happening in this march and it wasn't the typical crowded affair that we see.

Accounts say that but pretty much every picture and video I've seen says otherwise - https://i.redd.it/v5wtnno55c251.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Hrududu wrote: »
    If you show posters proof that they were obviously wrong; how can they then continue with the virtue signalling?
    Expect the fingers to go into their ears and continue with their justification of this mass gathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

The Guards could have left the march go ahead - lets face it they didn't have a choice, the 'optics' of doing so given the purpose of the march would have played into the 'narrative' of police brutality - but they should have criticised publically the lack of SD and people attending from outside 5km.

Leo should have done the same. To leave it unsaid basically can be taken two ways - they don't have the balls to do it, or they don't see anything wrong with it.

I'm actually more annoyed by the guards and politicians lack of condemnation than I am with the idiots who thought it was a good idea to march during a pandemic. It's leaving restrictions open to being completely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Notwithstanding the fact that 2D images taken side-on make it difficult to determine distance, it still doesn't answer the question of what anyone would prefer be done?

Start arresting people? Cracking heads? Water cannons?

What would be the course of action the Gardai should have taken, that would result in less risky conditions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,178 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Were the public advised not be have picnics in the park?

A simple yes or no will do?

What are you on about?

Leo was with three other people outdoors I believe.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I don't believe that Leo broke regulations last week....

What has that to do with what happened yesterday?

His not coming out to denounce what happened yesterday is my point....

And if you are trying to muddy and obfuscate this by tying Leo with three friends outdoors in a park to the many many many people gathered yesterday with no social distancing......well, good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Notwithstanding the fact that 2D images taken side-on make it difficult to determine distance, it still doesn't answer the question of what anyone would prefer be done?

What would be the course of action the Gardai should have taken, that would result in less risky conditions?

Just the Prime minister saying it wasn't okay would have gone a lot of the way to at least not make people feel like idiots for having followed his orders for the last two months. But he couldn't even do that, for fear he might be considered racist or not totally supportive of the next big social media movement

Gardai could have given out face masks to people not wearing them, spaced people apart who weren't distancing, at least make it look like they even cared at all, but all form of authortity was totally absent. More important to berate people going about their normal daily business if it strays outside our arbitary distance limit, easier prey and much less social media backash doing that

There's videos too. But sure, they could all be doctored! It's a big conspiracy!

Cracking heads? O... k... So do you think the government, Gardai and others should come out hard on this and say it's not acceptable? Should there be measures made to stop/hinder upcoming marches? I say yes to all of this. Do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

If this was a sanctioned event, then that begs the question about the utility and legality of the current resteictions.
    If it was not, the the early gathering should have been dispersed before it got above Gardai's capacity.

There cannot be one set of rules for some and another for the rest of ussl. We're in this together or we're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

To say it was not ok and could cost lives would be a start

If the marches go ahead next weekend without any attempt to stop or critisice, the country needs to open up fully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nkh9F4iFdY

Even Fr Dougal Maguire who is not a great judge of crowds would be able to see there is nowhere near 2 metres distancing here no matter what angle you look at it.

You are going off on one

Nobody is asking for heads to be cracked...

We are asking that the people in power who have been onto us day in and day out to adhere to social distancing (whilst 1000s have lost jobs, have died, have been working tirelessly to help, and giving up a lot) at least come out now and stand with us all to denounce the flagrant breach of those very rules that they are imposing on us...

If they can't, then they are charlatans, and the people have no need to respect them or listen to them...

They can do the right thing or the wrong thing.....it's black and white to me what is right and what is wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

When you think of the guards response of the debahams protests!

I have to step away from this because I am absolutely furious and hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

walshb wrote: »
    You are going off on one

Nobody is asking for heads to be cracked...

We are asking that the people in power who have been onto us day in and day out to adhere to social distancing (whilst 1000s have lost jobs, have died, have been working tirelessly to help, and giving up a lot) at least come out now and stand with us all to denounce the flagrant breach of those very rules that they are imposing on us...

If they can't, then they are charlatans, and the people have no need to respect them or listen to them...

They can do the right thing or the wrong thing.....it's black and white to me what is right and what is wrong here.

To be fair its not just those in Power.

I havent seen ANY politicals figures or media criticise this. The same people who were telling us to stay at home.....

Agree with the above post, this has riled me more than it should.

All the B listers are too busy posting black squares on Instagram to be in any way worried bout deaths here.

To be fair its not just those in Power.

I havent seen ANY politicals figures or media criticise this. The same people who were telling us to stay at home.....

Agree with the above post, this has riled me more than it should.

Absolutely....we are all in this

So, not just those in power....

All the B listers are too busy posting black squares on Instagram to be in any way worried bout deaths here.

B listers? Keep going there......:pac:

It just goes to show how much of a 'game' politics is. They're all waiting to see what the public response is before they say anything. Normally other parties would be all over the government's lack of comment. But they're all holding back, because what happens if they condemn the march? Will people call them racist? What happens if they condone the march? Will people turn on them for flouting restrictions? So they keep quiet because they're waiting to see how the wind blows.

Like someone else said, they couldn't stop the march. But guards could have been positioned reminding people to keep social distancing for everyone's benefit. Masks could have been handed out. Leo could have made a statement condemning racism, but also condemning the mass gathering.

Almost everyone in this country has made sacrifices in the past two months. Some way more than others. We did it because we're all in it together. But sure f*ck that. Covid will be gracious enough to not infect the protesters. It'll know their hearts were in the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Rfrip wrote: »
    When you think of the guards response of the debahams protests!

I have to step away from this because I am absolutely furious and hurt
    If the guards tried to intervene there were plenty scummy protestors there who would have kicked off. These restrictions cannot be enforced without the goodwill of people.
    The T.D.s who brought these people out on the streets are the usual dirtbirds who spend their lives whinging

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I appreciate that the Gardai would be unable to stop such a march and tell people to socially distance, but it doesn't stop the CMO, Harris and Leo saying outright that it contravened all social distancing rules.

But I won't hold my breath ......

We need adults, i.e. 99% of the people on the march yesterday, to have a bit more cop-on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

The National Party? Clearly a doctored video.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Water cannons and tear gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yeah they are a special group of nincompoops, dont put any stead in anything they produce. They are led by a far right neo nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

It just goes to show how much of a 'game' politics is. They're all waiting to see what the public response is before they say anything. Normally other parties would be all over the government's lack of comment. But they're all holding back, because what happens if they condemn the march? Will people call them racist? What happens if they condone the march? Will people turn on them for flouting restrictions? So they keep quiet because they're waiting to see how the wind blows.

Like someone else said, they couldn't stop the march. But guards could have been positions reminding people to keep social distancing for everyone's benefit. Masks could have been handed out. Leo could have made a statement condemning racism, but also condemning the mass gathering.

Almost everyone in this country has made sacrifices in the past two months. Some way more than others. We did it because we're all in it together. But sure f*ck that. Covid will be gracious enough to not infect the protesters. It'll know their hearts were in the right place.
    Proper organisation and not a rabble coming together could have resulted in a protest without breaching distancing guidelines. Maybe if the virus started hitting a younger age group the penny might drop with the "it is'nt fair Joe I can't go on my J1" brigade

That's interesting, thanks for that. It's hard to tell by eye when something is doctored. Could you let me know how you can tell that video is doctored so that I can know for again?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Just the Prime minister saying it wasn't okay would have gone a lot of the way to at least not make people feel like idiots for having followed his orders for the last two months.
    It's a fair point. There seems to be considerable silence from anyone about this.

There was also complete silence about O'Doherty and her band of lunatics too though.

It's interesting how many of usual heads here have decide that there must some other reason why politicians have made no comment about this particular march. Something about virtue or somesuch.

It seems to me more likely that by staying quiet about protests in general, they're trying to sidestep difficult questions about the ability of Gardai to actually maintain the regulations.

It's a funny one, because we know there aren't enough Gardai to enforce them. We know that if people started ignoring them en masse, the Gardai would give up trying to enforce them. Varadkar has effectively admitted it in the speeches, he has talked about "policing by consent" a number of times.

We already know that the restrictions are only in place as long as we agree to keep them there.

But if a journalist was to try and grab a soundbite of any official admitting that physically enforcing the regulations is not possible, that would be a game changer. Even though nothing would have actually changed.

So I suspect they're trying to prevent this direct question being asked, by staying quiet about protests.

I do agree that it would be important, certainly this week, for Varadkar, Harris & Holohan to come out and "discourage" protests in person, driving home the point that the virus sees no difference between 1,000 people marching down the street and 1,000 people sitting around on a beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

NIMAN wrote: »
    I appreciate that the Gardai would be unable to stop such a march and tell people to socially distance, but it doesn't stop the CMO, Harris and Leo saying outright that it contravened all social distancing rules.

But I won't hold my breath ......

We need adults, i.e. 99% of the people on the march yesterday, to have a bit more cop-on.

Ya, be easy really. Something like "All of us in government and the people of Ireland condemn what is going on in the US atm but it is imperative that we follow the guidelines in place around social distancing to protect our most vulnerable" #ElderlyLivesMatter

Be sorted then. Atm, they just come across as spineless and lose the trust of the people who have been following the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Same day...

Screen-Shot-2020-06-02-at-12-48-08.png

The fcuking cnuts are planning another one

https://twitter.com/pb4p/status/1267441732402151425

• Advertisement

It's a fair point. There seems to be considerable silence from anyone about this.

There was also complete silence about O'Doherty and her band of lunatics too though.

I guess 30 people is the same as a few thousand. Sure. But hey, whatabout?
    It's interesting how many of usual heads here have decide that there must some other reason why politicians have made no comment about this particular march. Something about virtue or somesuch.

I think it's interesting how some here are desperate to deflect on everything to do with yesterday's events. Photos of people on top of each other? Nah, it's the angle. Videos of same? .... doctored. Why did everyone have to go? ... uh it was necessary.

I honestly don't get why some people are choosing to die on this hill.

Any big congregation of people, especially those who are throwing social distancing out the window, is wrong and the Gardai should be actively discouraging it. We know there's more lined up for the weekend, I expect measures to be taken to stop/limit it. How could anyone disagree with this and still maintain that the lockdown should continue, is beyond me.

Advertisement