Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,178 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The fcuking cnuts are planning another one

https://twitter.com/pb4p/status/1267441732402151425

And people actually vote for these.....

What a sad state of affairs, EVERYWHERE!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The fcuking cnuts are planning another one

https://twitter.com/pb4p/status/1267441732402151425

Very depressing.:( Were they involved in "getting the word out" for the one yesterday as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭prunudo

So far from what I've heard today, Newstalk are doubling down and focusing on everything racism and blacklives matter. No mention of the hypocrisy from the government.
    Niall Boylan is true to form though and getring worked up about Leo's lack of condemnation, most of his callers seem to agree too.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,178 ✭✭✭✭walshb

prunudo wrote: »
    So far from what I've heard today, Newstalk are doubling down and focusing on everything racism and blacklives matter. No mention of the hypocrisy from the government.
    Niall Boylan is true to form though and getring worked up about Leo's lack of condemnation, most of his callers seem to agree too.

At least one commentator, so far, is challenging this...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A lot of folk don't like Boylan, but at least he ain't afraid to be controversial and say what he thinks.

The rest are spineless.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »

Pat Kenny never mentioned crowds at the protest yesterday, and that surprised me as he's become paranoid in the last few weeks about social distancing and masks. He did cover in depth the issues in America , the whole show was nearly US based this morning.
    Surprisingly Ciara Kelly doing the same on her show, all about #blacklivesmatter at the beginning. No mention of crowds at the protest yesterday - no mention anywhere on the airways this morning!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭prunudo

walshb wrote: »

Be interesting to hear Ivan's opening monologue later.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Honestly I am so disillusioned and angry with Varadkar, Harris and Also Holohan - he has had more than enough time to condemn the lack of social distancing by now.

Why the hell should anyone pay a wit of attention to them if this is the sort of double standards hypocrisy they are seemingly fine with?

I feel like a fool for trying to keep to the restrictions over these past weeks and months.

It’s been very hard and has had a toll on my family’s mental and physical health and then to see it’s actually all political correctness games and posturing. Disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Jesus, that utube video reminds me of those videos of people in the 30's and 40' saluting Hitler - bizarre carry on.

I have to wonder what these people they are going to achieve by staging these protests.

And obviously there is the question of the COVID-19 pandemic were still in - how could all these people think this was a good idea?

The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Social distancing is only a cod at this stage. How can people expect to take it seriously when the government won't let two old fellas have a pint and a chat unless they are 2 metres apart (and not until mid August) or not allow other people attend funerals of friends and relatives. Yet at the same time allow a mass gathering of people parade through the streets of Dublin.

Absolutely mad stuff and you couldn't blame people for throwing their hat at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Honestly I am so disillusioned and angry with Varadkar, Harris and Also Holohan - he has had more than enough time to condemn the lack of social distancing by now.

Why the hell should anyone pay a wit of attention to them if this is the sort of double standards hypocrisy they are seemingly fine with?

I feel like a fool for trying to keep to the restrictions over these past weeks and months.

It’s been very hard and has had a toll on my family’s mental and physical health and then to see it’s actually all political correctness games and posturing. Disgusting

Maybe keep in mind the reasons why it was being done and where the recommendations have been coming from regardless of the fools who protested yesterday or unwillingness of politicians or media to call out this breach? Not much help/consolation I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

prunudo wrote: »

Newstalk has turned into virtue signalling thrash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

PhantomHat wrote: »
    Newstalk has turned into vulture signalling thrash

43p4pj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

total media whitewash of yesterdays events today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

My wife and I have been discussing this and we're happy to meet up with my parents, haven't seen them since the end of February, we've been adhering strongly to the restrictions up to now. They would love to see the grand-kids if even from a distance.

Will invite them here and social distance in our back garden (in the countryside so plenty of room).

Can't see that being any worse than mass gatherings in urban areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

My wife and I have been discussing this and we're happy to meet up with my parents, haven't seen them since the end of February, we've been adhering strongly to the restrictions up to now. They would love to see the grand-kids if even from a distance.

Will invite them here and social distance in our back garden (in the countryside so plenty of room).

Can't seen that being any worse than mass gatherings in urban areas.

Happy to hear it, hope you enjoy it.

We're going over to my in-laws garden tonight. I cannot wait, they are great craic! Doubt I'll see my own folks this year, so happy that others can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

One rule for one group and a different rule for others. We cant bury our dead with the dignity and respect their lives deserves but others can then flout the rules with impunity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Maybe keep in mind the reasons why it was being done and where the recommendations have been coming from regardless of the fools who protested yesterday or unwillingness of politicians or media to call out this breach? Not much help/consolation I suppose.

Signing an online book of condolences would be more than enough especially here in Ireland but I suppose that wouldn't be enough for the attention seekers who want to be seen.

What are they hoping to achieve by marching around Dublin? Do they want a national day of mourning for this man that we don't know?

Lack of condemnation is such a bad reason to be mad at Varadkar, Harris and Holohan

Can't see that being any worse than mass gatherings in urban areas.

Thought that's been allowed for a few weeks now?

• Advertisement

"standing in solidarity" was reported in the news.

People came out from their houses, stood and clapped for NHS and also for the HSE. More so for the NHS. Is that a weekly clapping session. That was done as a mark of respect for all them workers. Some of it was videoed?

If people want to stand in solidarity can they not organise a similar movement? Can people not video themselves at home standing in solidarity? Instead of forming crowds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

Paying for petrol at a station, they have a queue 2 metres as normal, but for some reason when you're finished paying for the fuel you exit by passing along the same queue in the opposite direction. Doesn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Thought that's been allowed for a few weeks now?

They're 80kms away so not sure that would be within the distance rules.

horse7 wrote: »
    Paying for petrol at a station, they have a queue 2 metres as normal, but for some reason when you're finished paying for the fuel you exit by passing along the same queue in the opposite direction. Doesn't make sense.

We're doing best effort to minimise exposure. That distance in the queue is preventing the spread. Briefly passing people is not ideal but not every shop has a second exit.

They're 80kms away so not sure that would be within the distance rules.

Yeah fair enough. After seeing that protest, the lockdown is over. I'll keep social distancing but I'm gonna make plans to holiday around Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Black lives Matter rally in Dundalk going on just now, heard on the radio so I don't know what numbers are like

edit
    https://twitter.com/DonardMcCabe/status/1267810482188148737

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

Black lives Matter rally in Dundalk going on just now, heard on the radio so I don't know what numbers are like

Dickheads.

Rotten bastards.

Feck it, everyone is right. Lockdown over.

edit
    https://twitter.com/DonardMcCabe/status/1267810482188148737

That's unreal. There's no social distancing there and very little masks. Getting into large crowds like that is dangerous.

During the Spanish flu, there was a parade held in the state of philadelphia, from that parade, cases of the Spanish flu exploded there.

Crowds being discouraged was the reason the St Patricks day parades were called off and for good reason.

Now, here's a large gathering of people.

What is wrong with the idea of signing an online book of condolences during this time?

"blacklifesmatter" but Irish life's don't matter in the face of disease.

What happened to George Floyd had nothing to do with the colour of his skin. It was a power hungry cop restraining a criminal in the wrong way. It had nothing do with him being black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭buzzing147

They didn't march for the Irish men who died on hunger strike

Advertisement