Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Black lives Matter rally in Dundalk going on just now, heard on the radio so I don't know what numbers are like

edit
    https://twitter.com/DonardMcCabe/status/1267810482188148737

FFS. This is getting ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

Just for the usual heads who'll insist that the photo angles are misleading, there's videos too from the same account. So you can move to the "videos were doctored" phase.

Loads of people not wearing masks. Could possibly have been removed in what I saw by an AI deepfake service though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

owlbethere wrote: »
    What happened to George Floyd had nothing to do with the colour of his skin. It was a power hungry cop restraining a criminal in the wrong way. It had nothing do with him being black.
    I wouldn't agree with you there, but either way it has no relevance to the situation in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Dr Anthony O’Connor of the Irish Medical Organisation (IMO) has warned that there could be up to 1 million Irish patients on the waiting list for treatment by November, if the health situation was not addressed. November may also see a wave2 of COIVD arise, merged with the normal seasonal bugs: norovirus, inf a/b etc.

Funding is always an issue, but COVID has already knocked back all waiting lists. If there are any further peaks/waves (caused by fruitloopers out in their 1,000s, while still in Phase 1), expect 1m Irish be on a waiting list, while peer-pressured teenagers cheer and selfi-insta on the streets for something that happened 6,000km away.

Anyway they're planning another 'socially irresponsibe' March on 6th June.
    Is no one in charge at all, nor able to explain to these hipsters the consequences of such behaviour?

sorry if ive missed it

has a single TD of any party addressed the mass breach of pandemic measures seen in dublin yesterday?

if find it almost impossible to vote for any of them next time round if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

sorry if ive missed it

has a single TD of any party addressed the mass breach of pandemic measures seen in dublin yesterday?

Open to correction but as far as I can see only Carol Nolan has publicly stated that she will be raising with the Taoiseach the issue of double standards in relation to social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

sorry if ive missed it

I thought I had seen a tweet from Stephen Donnelly condemning it, but I've gone onto his Twitter and can't find anything.
    Perhaps I imagined it or it was someone else, but if he did indeed tweet against it and felt the need to remove that, due to pressure either from protestors or members of his party, that's even worse !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

seamus wrote: »
    It's a fair point. There seems to be considerable silence from anyone about this.

There was also complete silence about O'Doherty and her band of lunatics too though.

It's interesting how many of usual heads here have decide that there must some other reason why politicians have made no comment about this particular march. Something about virtue or somesuch.

It seems to me more likely that by staying quiet about protests in general, they're trying to sidestep difficult questions about the ability of Gardai to actually maintain the regulations.

It's a funny one, because we know there aren't enough Gardai to enforce them. We know that if people started ignoring them en masse, the Gardai would give up trying to enforce them. Varadkar has effectively admitted it in the speeches, he has talked about "policing by consent" a number of times.

We already know that the restrictions are only in place as long as we agree to keep them there.

But if a journalist was to try and grab a soundbite of any official admitting that physically enforcing the regulations is not possible, that would be a game changer. Even though nothing would have actually changed.

So I suspect they're trying to prevent this direct question being asked, by staying quiet about protests.

But that applies at any time, to any law, in any society where the general population greatly outnumbers the police or security forces.

Burying your head in the sand and pretending something didn't happen isn't the normal response of a competent government.
    That's a disturbing conclusion

If a few thousand people decided they were going to start looting shops, would you expect the government to totally ignore it was happening? For fear that if everyone realised they were powerless to stop it, then everyone would do it?

Somehow I suspect there would be condemnation across the board from politicians of all parties. The only difference here is fear of being accused of racism by the idiots concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It might be worth asking the PBP TD who was present, because they have a lot to say about the virus?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Hrududu wrote: »
    That's interesting, thanks for that. It's hard to tell by eye when something is doctored. Could you let me know how you can tell that video is doctored so that I can know for again?

When a media outlet or political part which has a different political outlook from yourself post up content, then it's fake news or has been doctored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

MOH wrote: »
    But that applies at any time, to any law, in any society where the general population greatly outnumbers the police or security forces.

Burying your head in the sand and pretending something didn't happen isn't the normal response of a competent government.
    This has been the strategy so far, and it's pretty sound from a public health point of view. You wait until the public itself has decided what the correct course of action is (as long as it aligns with what you want), and then act to make something law. They did it with St Patrick's day, the pubs, lockdown. All these things appear to have been just slightly delayed, but in reality it was to allow public opinion to swing in a particular direction.

I'm not saying this is what is happening here, there's probably a bit of shock that thousands of eejits decided to do this in the middle of a pandemic - but as was said there is no way we can enforce measures with force realistically, so it will have to be through public opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Anyway they're planning another 'socially irresponsibe' March on 6th June.
    Is no one in charge at all, nor able to explain to these hipsters the consequences of such behaviour

Uh did you not hear that systemic racism is the real virus?

If you have an unconscious racial bias then you are an asymptomatic carrier.

How are we supposed to stop the spread if we can't meet up with 5,000 friends for an aul protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Now we know “ black matters “ but we don’t matter . The vulnerable don’t matter , the public don’t matter . I don’t matter and you don’t matter
    I feel so let down , so peed off and could cry this minute

• Registered Users Posts: 56,178 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Has it been still pretty much a deafening silence from the powers that be on the march from yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

walshb wrote: »
    Has it been still pretty much a deafening silence from the powers that be on the march from yesterday?

Damned if you do, damned if you dont. What do you expected them to say? That horse has bolted.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,178 ✭✭✭✭walshb

degsie wrote: »
    Damned if you do, damned if you dont. What do you expected them to say? That horse has bolted.

Well, there is still the Covid-19 briefing later today, isn't there?

Maybe some journalist will have cop-on to ask about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

There's a recent tweet from an Irish Times journo claiming there's a criminal investigation into the organising of the protest:
    https://twitter.com/conormlally/status/1267841809813774337
    BREAKING: Garda criminal investigation launched into organisers of Black Lives Matter protest in Dublin yesterday.

Organising any events is banned under Covid19 regulations and organising Dublin protest was a criminal offence, say gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

There's a recent tweet from an Irish Times journo claiming there's a criminal investigation into the organising of the protest:

That's good. And if there's any more organised, hopefully they will all be subject to a criminal investigation.

Look, they feel the need to protest about this issue. I don't agree with their position and I don't agree with the protest but they must feel strongly about it all the same. They need to adapt to the times and get crafty if they wish to protest like maybe a candle lit vigil on zoom or something. Or get a book of condolences open up.

Social distancing measures have to be maintained going forward until we a get a hold of this virus. We were doing good lately and hopefully it will continue on the good path but we can't get complacent too soon too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Excellent.

What on earth did the organisers of the protest wanted to do? Hold Ireland responsible for societal issues in America? It makes no sense whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

owlbethere wrote: »
    What on earth did the organisers of the protest wanted to do? Hold Ireland responsible for societal issues in America? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Facebook / Insta likes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

5555555555 wrote: »
    Facebook / Insta likes

MASI PBP love a good bit of injustice and online abuse of people

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Excellent.

You really think anyone will face any charge over it?
    Come on, you're better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Gardaí were notified and present at the protest, non story.

NIMAN wrote: »
    You really think anyone will face any charge over it?
    Come on, you're better than that.

Nope. But I hope it means that the protests planned for next week are nipped in the bud straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Nope. But I hope it means that the protests planned for next week are nipped in the bud straight away.

But how will they nip it in the bud? Will they have Gardai out in riot gear? I mean if people decide to congregate en mass how will the Gardai stop them? They cant and wont. They wont risk a fall out from a potential clash with protesters.

I saw the video earlier from drogheda. The protests looked to me as if it was a greta style teenage meet up protest. I mean like, how many of them realistically have their own rented accommodation to go back to, isolate in, in case they get the infection? How many of them told their parents where they were going? It was highly irresponsible because there's risk for them now at contracting the infection and taking it into the family home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Complete double standards at play in this country regarding restrictions. The extremes of society like Gemma and these protestors get carte blanche while ordinary people are encouraged to adhere to the restrictions.

If Drew Harris cannot police and enforce laws equally for everyone regardless of their political affiliation, status etc. then he has no business being Commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Now Tony, are you a fraud or not?

• Advertisement

jackboy wrote: »
    Now Tony, are you a fraud or not?

In fairness he finally agreed it posed a risk to life.

Time now for Dr. Varadkar to make a comment.

Advertisement