Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Should have been stronger on it imo. Pussyfooted around the question.

Guards will do nothing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

titan18 wrote: »

In fairness, he has to be a bit restrained. He’s only giving advice to Government, he can’t come out and outright criticise Leo.

It’s Leo who needs to front this up and we all know he hasn’t the cojones to do it.

You are right about the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

titan18 wrote: »

At least he said something but I suspect many who missed funerals will not feel good knowing that a mass gathering of thousands only gets a very mild rebuke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Politicians and the media need to stop pussyfooting around this for fear of backlash - the majority of people are disgusted at what was allowed to occur yesterday and it’s time for someone to have the balls and call it out for what it was - a blatant disregard and undoing of everything we have been working towards the past 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Watching the news, special needs children are regressing at an alarming rate because they no longer have access to the special care that they need. It just adds to the list of people's lives who are being severely impacted by the restrictions. I am absolutely disgusted by the lack of condemnation of the manner of this protest while the majority of Irish people are being trampled on in one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZhVhq4XgAMyQwQ?format=jpg&name=medium

So they’ll all be 2 meters apart and will self isolate for 2 weeks after??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Did the Americans stand to support us when we experienced our own problems within our own garda siochana? I remember a garda hitting a woman on a night out?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/assault-case-against-garda-dismissed-on-technicality-26516996.html

Where was the outcry then and did the people of America stand with us? Did they fcuk

owlbethere wrote: »
    Did the Americans stand to support us when we experienced our own problems within our own garda siochana? I remember a garda hitting a woman on a night out?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/assault-case-against-garda-dismissed-on-technicality-26516996.html

Where was the outcry then and did the people of America stand with us? Did they fcuk

Things that happen in Ireland don’t earn you Twitter retweets or Facebook likes - easier to attach yourself to a hot topic in the US to show how right on on you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The amount of Garda on O'Connell Street in the pictures yesterday they were obviously aware a mass assembly was taking place prior to it happening get the water canons and riot police and disperse the crowd ****ing rediculous it was allowed to happen block O'Connell Street off if anything like this happens again and tell the dopes to go home

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The amount of Garda on O'Connell Street in the pictures yesterday they were obviously aware a mass assembly was taking place prior to it happening get the water canons and riot police and disperse the crowd ****ing rediculous it was allowed to happen block O'Connell Street off if anything like this happens again and tell the dopes to go home

I'd say the threat of getting a wash from the water cannons would terrify them more than the gardai ever could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZhVhq4XgAMyQwQ?format=jpg&name=medium

So they’ll all be 2 meters apart and will self isolate for 2 weeks after??!

The last I seen its not illeagl to take pictures of anyone in a public space

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I just hope all guilty are hit with huge sentences from this criminal investigation.

I’m so so angry with them and also the excuse for Taoiseach and of course that coward Harris.

It really does look like varadkar rushed to praise the protest so that he’d get social media likes. Sooner he is booted out the better- just the latest example of his incompetence

The gardai thankfully kept their heads and are investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

It really does look like varadkar rushed to praise the protest so that he’d get social media likes. Sooner he is booted out the better- just the latest example of his incompetence

The gardai thankfully kept their heads and are investigating.

Yeah he’s a clown, but where is Micheal Martin? Silent as well. Is there any politician that had the balls to call this out?

jackboy wrote: »
    Yeah he’s a clown, but where is Micheal Martin? Silent as well. Is there any politician that had the balls to call this out?

I agree. It’s disgusting to see this on all sides.

It beggars belief that not 1 TD has condemned it so far.

Tells us all we need to know about the lot of them. And to think people get chastised here when they say there’s none of them worthy of a vote.

Tells us all we need to know about the lot of them. And to think people get chastised here when they say there’s none of them worthy of a vote.

They are all terrified of being branded a waycist for speaking out when the people who attended it should have been dealt with water cannons and tear gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Carol Nolan Independent TD for Laois/Offaly is the only TD I've heard questioning it and looking to address Harris, Leo et al.

I am in no way racist and actually I would’ve joined the protest yest via social media etc but when you see the stories of ppl being

Denied access to critically ill family
    Denied access to funerals and graveyard
    Denied access to family gatherings
    Etc
    Etc

And other awful situations then the marchers yest lose my sympathy. why the hell do they feel entitled to ignore public health advice when the rest of the country cannot.

And then to add salt to the wounds the Taoiseach and minister for health just allow it to happen without comment. Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 56,178 ✭✭✭✭walshb

And then to add salt to the wounds the Taoiseach and minister for health just allow it to happen without comment. Ffs

Utterly spineless...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I am in no way racist and actually I would’ve joined the protest yest via social media etc but when you see the stories of ppl being

Denied access to critically ill family
    Denied access to funerals and graveyard
    Denied access to family gatherings
    Etc
    Etc

And other awful situations then the marchers yest lose my sympathy. why the hell do they feel entitled to ignore public health advice when the rest of the country cannot.

Some of the comments I’ve heard elsewhere online justifying the march “this is more important than covid” “this is too important to wait”

I honestly give up on some of the youth - my in-laws couldn’t have a proper funeral for their nanny only last month and this **** goes ahead without one word from any of the people in power!!

Can’t have different rules it’s either all or none!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Gardai out in force on blackrock waterfront shouting at people to social distance. Got questioned whether my boyfriend and I lived together and sternly told to keep our distance. What a joke after yesterday, would have been better off dispersing the thousands on O'Connell street yesterday than harassing kids jumping off the pier and shouting at young couples drinking coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

major bill wrote: »
    Some of the comments I’ve heard elsewhere online justifying the march “this is more important than covid” “this is too important to wait”

I honestly give up on some of the youth - my in-laws couldn’t have a proper funeral for their nanny only last month and this **** goes ahead without one word from any of the people in power!!

Can’t have different rules it’s either all or none!

It's only important to them because it appears on their social media feeds. The shallowness and hypocrisy of it all is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Next Saturday's march will be even bigger. Gardai and Politicians could try and nip it in the bud over the coming days but there won't be a meaningful word said about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

jay0109 wrote: »
    Next Saturday's march will be even bigger. Gardai and Politicians could try and nip it in the bud over the coming days but there won't be a meaningful word said about it.

Looks like there is going to be marches across Ireland on Saturday ,Waterford Cork Dublin Limerick Galway so far..

Looks like there is going to be marches across Ireland on Saturday ,Waterford Cork Dublin Limerick Galway so far..

Limerick will be met with with armed response anyway and I’ve asked Facebook to delete the event because it’s an illegal gathering. And if neither come through on their promises, then we will just simply have to go retro on these clowns and bate them up and down Arthur’s quay park till they **** off home

Black lives might matter but they sure as **** dont overwrite the efforts the population has made for 3’months to quell this virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Are the protesters not getting enough attention with the blackout Tuesday on social media?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

owlbethere wrote: »
    Are the protesters not getting enough attention with the blackout Tuesday on social media?

No sure the “influencers” are strung out on likes and attention they will milk this for as long as possible and move onto something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Proper scum these protestors but no one is going to stand up to them. They're making a mockery of all those that died or have been affected one way or another by Covid-19. All that just so they can gain some false satisfaction that they are effecting change in the US. Self indulgent clowns.

I'd been happier if at least the Gardai were attempting to stand up to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Which groups or individuals organised the protest march in Dublin?

Advertisement