Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That doesn't make it right. Alot feel seriously let down over this. Be very interesting to see the next polls. In a day they have undone so much good will
    You're overstating it IMO.

Outside the hot air generation machines that are boards.ie and twitter, most people aren't that worked up about it as far as I can tell.

People understand why some felt the need to march, but that it shouldn't have happened.

Leo or Simon making a statement about it within 24 hours isn't high on most peoples' agendas. Especially now the Gardai are involved, most people are glad that it's been in some way acknowledged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i suppose this is the way the pubs will go, all the infastructure will be put in place but after first week no one will police anything

• Registered Users Posts: 56,178 ✭✭✭✭walshb

seamus wrote: »

Outside the hot air generation machines that are boards.ie and twitter, most people aren't that worked up about it as far as I can tell.

People understand why some felt the need to march, but that it shouldn't have happened.

Leo or Simon making a statement about it within 24 hours isn't high on most peoples' agendas. Especially now the Gardai are involved, most people are glad that it's been in some way acknowledged.

It was pathetically acknowledged....not other way to put it....

Just to keep us happy.......throw that shower a bone there to keep them happy....that shower, the 1000s and 1000s of people who have lost jobs and businesses and loved ones to this illness...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

How would you tell if they were?

Making small talk with a colleague before a work call, and it came up, in context of, people couldn't go to a funeral but this sort of protest can happen.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

odyssey06 wrote: »

Making small talk with a colleague before a work call, and it came up, in context of, people couldn't go to a funeral but this sort of protest can happen.

Well I can guarantee there will be plenty of people starting to attend funerals from here on in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Disagree, most I have spoken to are annoyed at the march happening, those at the march, and the reaction from public figures the media and the hypocrisy involved.

People are losing jobs due to enforced social distancing, it either applies or it doesn't, regardless of the reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

odyssey06 wrote: »

Yesterday, a certain segment of posters were telling us that the pics were misleading, videos doctored and implied that people who objected to the protest were doing so for ideological reasons. Today they've moved onto saying that people don't care.. Funny that. It's almost as if some are desperate to excuse it at any cost?

FWIW it came up in a phone call home last night for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Disagree, most I have spoken to are annoyed at the march happening, those at the march, and the reaction from public figures the media and the hypocrisy involved.

People are losing jobs due to enforced social distancing, it either applies or it doesn't, regardless of the reason

This for sure. Businesses were forced to close. People lost jobs. Some of them may never go back to their jobs because the jobs might not be there. Other jobs will have to change to implement social distancing measures and that mass gathering was allowed to go ahead with more being planned around the country for this Saturday coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

walshb wrote: »
    No blame whatsoever lies with the morons protesting. You cannot legislate for these types people.

The blame lies with the government and elected officials and political commentators who remain shamefully quiet on all this, and this quietness is not only not condemning, but it is actively encouraging future moronic protests and breaches....their lack of condemnation is complicitness'.

Excellent point.

So much things changed in Ireland over the past few months and changed to the ever evolving circumstances.

-Who entered this year thinking they will be home schooling their children from March onwards?
    - Distilleries changing their production to hand sanitizers
    - TV talk shows changed for the most part from having people in studio to video calls
    -just last night we saw something fairly epic air on TV. Isolation stories. A new TV programme that was filmed in lockdown. With real actors in their own homes. The TV producers and directors sent video equipment to the actors families and had online meetings to show them how to manipulate the equipment to achieve certain angles and lighting etc. It was so cool.

There's no reason in the world why the protest organisers here in Ireland can't adapt to the changing times we find ourselves in. It's irresponsible to be organising mass gatherings especially considering what happened in the past with the Spanish flu and in Philedelphia, they held a parade there where the flu spread.

- Have a candle lit vigil on zoom for George flyod.
    - Start funding the poverty situation in America where some black people find themselves in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I don't know how true that is. Everyone I've spoken to in real life as opposed to reading on twitter are really annoyed about this. Basically the same stuff keeps coming up. We did what we were supposed to for months and then this is allowed?

I don't listen to the radio but I'd be interested to hear what people were calling Joooooe about these past two days. Were they raging about this or were they calling to give out about other things?

Hrududu wrote: »
    I don't know how true that is. Everyone I've spoken to in real life as opposed to reading on twitter are really annoyed about this. Basically the same stuff keeps coming up. We did what we were supposed to for months and then this is allowed?

I don't listen to the radio but I'd be interested to hear what people were calling Joooooe about these past two days. Were they raging about this or were they calling to give out about other things?

RTE will be selective in what they show on TV or air on radio. They would be afraid of the racism card being thrown about. Being against these mass gatherings has nothing to do with being Racism but that card will absolutely be thrown about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

owlbethere wrote: »
    RTE will be selective in what they show on TV or air on radio. They would be afraid of the racism card being thrown about. Being against these mass gatherings has nothing to do with being Racism but that card will absolutely be thrown about the place.

Agreed, I think any notion of distancing going out the window seems to be acceptable in some situations, especially where there's political motivations behind it.

We were asked to cancel weddings, christenings etc, not attend funerals in groups more than 10, lost jobs, suspended our children's education, put off house purchases, shut down the economy, commit ourselves to a huge debt, new parents (mostly fathers from what I can see, acceptable discrimination) not allowed to see and hold their newborns in person, the list goes on and on and on.

But the social media generation who measure their daily success on what's the newest social justice bandwagon they can get the most views or likes on are effectively excluded from restrictions if they want to 'protest' something that the depth of their understanding for is probably even more shallow than their twitter or Facebook feeds.

So selective distancing is now in play obviously, if I'm a kid and want to see my Facebook buds in the flesh, all I have to do now is go to where the nearest 'protest' is and there will be no consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,178 ✭✭✭✭walshb

PhantomHat wrote: »
    Excellent point.

I have not been riled up about anything as much as this in recent times...

When the people of the country need cohesion, encouragement and cooperation from those that we elect to govern, we have been sadly let down.

And it highlights both the hypocrisy and insincerity of these people with their clapping and fawning over our healthcare staff...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the march has been cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did I read on Boards that Leo tweeted about the BLM march in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

NIMAN wrote: »
    PBP really have nothing to offer, have they?

They are so populist its untrue.

Giving personal opinion...

They (PBP, solidarity etc) complain [edit: about the right things alot of the time in fairness], they make noise and jump on bandwagons and fight endlessly among themselves on minor points on doctrine (e.g. what to call themselves) but that is about it.
    Almost a parody of the extreme studenty left come to life.
    Much, much worse than SF IMO.

Just read in the Galway part of boards and the thread is now closed so can't comment but the protest planned for this Saturday has been postponed.

Thank god, common sense prevails. I don't know about the rest of the protests about the country.

It was highly irresponsible to organise a mass gathering protest last weekend and then to organise more for this weekend coming. I saw the videos and there was some social distancing and some people wearing masks but then I saw other parts where people were crowded together. I will be worried for the numbers for the covid19 numbers for drogheda in a fortnights time.

Just read in the Galway part of boards and the thread is now closed so can't comment but the protest planned for this Saturday has been postponed.

Thank god, common sense prevails. I don't know about the rest of the protests about the country.

It was highly irresponsible to organise a mass gathering protest last weekend and then to organise more for this weekend coming. I saw the videos and there was some social distancing and some people wearing masks but then I saw other parts where people were crowded together. I will be worried for the numbers for the covid19 numbers for drogheda in a fortnights time.

Why Drogheda?

JL555 wrote: »
    Agreed, I think any notion of distancing going out the window seems to be acceptable in some situations, especially where there's political motivations behind it.

We were asked to cancel weddings, christenings etc, not attend funerals in groups more than 10, lost jobs, suspended our children's education, put off house purchases, shut down the economy, commit ourselves to a huge debt, new parents (mostly fathers from what I can see, acceptable discrimination) not allowed to see and hold their newborns in person, the list goes on and on and on.

But the social media generation who measure their daily success on what's the newest social justice bandwagon they can get the most views or likes on are effectively excluded from restrictions if they want to 'protest' something that the depth of their understanding for is probably even more shallow than their twitter or Facebook feeds.

So selective distancing is now in play obviously, if I'm a kid and want to see my Facebook buds in the flesh, all I have to do now is go to where the nearest 'protest' is and there will be no consequences.

It really was maddening.

• Advertisement

Why Drogheda?

There was a protest there yesterday, or I'm getting my Irish geography mixed up and it happened somewhere else in Ireland? I saw a picture from yesterdays protest, there were crowds standing around each other. No social distancing at all.

There was an explosion of Spanish flu cases after a parade in philadelphia at the time of the Spanish flu. There's little difference between a parade and a protest in crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It really was maddening.

Stay far from the madding crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Pub owner on live line just now saying He plans to open ASAP having seen the scenes of the march on Monday.

What the hell did the excuse for Taoiseach and that charlatan Holohan expect

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So the organiser behind it, has said he'll be self-isolating after the march and has encouraged others to do so URL="https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0603/1145143-rapper-jyellowl-urges-dublin-protesters-to-self-isolate/"]link[/URL
    "I'll be self-isolating for the next two weeks and I urge everyone who was present to do the same and for anyone looking to engage with other organised protests to do the same but also to take precautionary action.
    Maybe in a response to the back lash and Garda investigation, but if nothing else he's said something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

ixoy wrote: »
    So the organiser behind it, has said he'll be self-isolating after the march and has encouraged others to do so URL="https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0603/1145143-rapper-jyellowl-urges-dublin-protesters-to-self-isolate/"]link[/URL

Maybe in a response to the back lash and Garda investigation, but if nothing else he's said something.

It’s something and I honestly hope all participants take the advice and self isolate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

There'll still be a turnout on Saturday and they'll be hoping to get a few video clips of being forcefully removed by the Guards. And I hope they do, along with plenty of cracked skulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 droimlis

Pub owner on live line just now saying He plans to open ASAP having seen the scenes of the march on Monday.

What the hell did the excuse for Taoiseach and that charlatan Holohan expect

Leo and the weasel Harris have no grounds to tell him he can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

What are the chances of the 1,000+ young insta-likers that pounded the streets recently, actually self-isolating for the 14days, as recommended?

Reckon it's close to zero in all practical likelyhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

There seems to be a lot of conjecture in this post, delivered in a typical authoritative fashion

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What are the chances of the 1,000+ young insta-likers that pounded the streets recently, actually self-isolating for the 14days, as recommended?

Reckon it's close to zero in all practical likelyhood.
    Probably. If it had been bad weather, I imagine there'd have been far fewer there although I imagine the organiser himself would have.
    If these people have the courage of their convictions, they'll self isolate now to show that they'll gladly sacrifice 14-days of (relative) freedom of movement for this cause.

Advertisement