Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Cyclonius

MASI appear entitled and dangerous, often leading online abuse.

This is reckless, all the while funded by the state no doubt

Going forward, there should be no state funding whatsoever for any of these organisations, or any other organisations involved with the individuals undertaking these reckless, and ultimately pointless, actions, at a time of national emergency. These actions are potentially putting lives at risk, and that is completely unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

jackboy wrote: »
    It’s not the protest itself that has angered people. It’s the fact that we have relentlessly been told to follow the restrictions for weeks now but these protesters were allowed to break them on mass without any serious condemnation.The restrictions are only for certain sections of the community.

The restrictions are only for the common people who can't realise how important something that happened 3000 miles away is. If the migrant group etc organising the protest wanted to come up with something that would alienate the decent people of Ireland they are going the right way about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

But I feel many will be making similar decisions based on the mass gathering at the weekend.
    You've been asked to do something and you've decided not to - we're all adults and can make our own decisions, but what's with the trying to justify it based on what someone else has done? Just man (or woman up) and say "I've been asked to do something by our government and public health doctors to try and reduce the risk to the community from a dangerous disease, and I've decided I'm going to ignore their request."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

hmmm wrote: »
    You've been asked to do something and you've decided not to - we're all adults and can make our own decisions, but what's with the trying to justify it based on what someone else has done? Just man (or woman up) and say "I've been asked to do something by our government and public health doctors, and I've decided I'm going to ignore their request."

If we do see a resurgence, you should be honest with yourself as well at that point, and don't start trying to say "oh well I was just doing what all those teenagers were doing on O'Connell Street". You made this decision.

Good point to be fair and yes it is easy to blame others. So yes I'm actively making this decision and ignoring the requests of the government and public health doctors. And on that decision I will have to accept any negative consequences.

To be open my decision is not to be anti government, my number 1 and 2 went to FG candidates in the last election, I believe it is relatively speaking low risk after 3 months of strictly adhering to restrictions and avoiding others as much as possible.

Also I can't blame the protestors, their actions merely started the discussion in our family. This was after Travelers arriving in the Curragh and driving through Garda checkpoints and Gemma O'Doherty, John Waters and their supporters ignoring restrictions as well. So it's not all on the latest protests.

I believe it is relatively speaking low risk after 3 months of strictly adhering to restrictions and avoiding others as much as possible.
    I agree, and I understand a certain amount of non-compliance is built into the models, so none of us are expected to be perfect - and it sounds like you have thought through the risks and what you can do to minimise them. But there's others out there who think that others not complying gives them an excuse to do relatively high-risk activities - such as house-parties or visiting unofficial hairdressers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Gloucester

hmmm wrote: »
    I agree, and I understand a certain amount of non-compliance is built into the models, so none of us are expected to be perfect - and it sounds like you have thought through the risks and what you can do to minimise them. But there's others out there who think that others not complying gives them an excuse to do relatively high-risk activities - such as house-parties or visiting unofficial hairdressers etc.

Reading through this whole post while my neighbour who’s a care worker in a local nursing home hosts a late night gathering in her home, having let her 20 year old son have more than 10 random mates drop in each day, makes me wonder if some professions such as care workers should face consequences if they catch the virus and have blatantly ignored social distancing rules. They’ve kept their house open to all their mates throughout the entire lockdown, sleepovers for the younger ones and then the mother relaxes by having mates over for drinks and smokes, no social distancing going on when out smoking, cars shared etc. All while the rest of us are worried about protecting the people around us. For all the Gardai on the roads etc. monitoring movement, here in North Kildare/South Meath they’re doing their best, but individual’s actions like hers will no doubt have consequences for the unfortunate people she encounters at work. Those of us who are able bodied and visiting stores can protect ourselves to the best of our ability but her case has really opened my eyes to how vulnerable those in residential homes really are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

owlbethere wrote: »
    That's unreal. Why would someone make a fake account and throw off the public by saying the protest is cancelled when it's not.

who's organising it anyway? probably a few groups and one pulled out, wanted to have it on record to avoid any legal hassle

edit: from MERJ (Migrants and Ethnic-minorities for Reproductive Justice??)

https://twitter.com/merj_ireland/status/1268175053058867201

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

who's organising it anyway? probably a few groups and one pulled out, wanted to have it on record to avoid any legal hassle

They will gain more support for the issue at hand if they could think up of a social distancing type of movement. Like the shinealight we had a few weeks ago. I'm not going to join a physical protest because its too risky but an online movement I would join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

A good point made on Twitter (I know) is that the ones out protesting are also likely to ones telling us to "believe the science" around climate change.

Science is Science.

Looking globally it seems we are not alone in seeing a weak political response to these protests, and the lack of social distancing. the flip flip by American figures, on both sides, is particularity nauseating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

bring in facial recognition cameras and if anyone is picked up and they are on the €350/week allowance it should be taken off them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Selfish, virtue signalling pricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

keano_afc wrote: »
    Selfish, virtue signalling pricks.

Nail on the head - the FB event page for the Limerick one yesterday had one of the imbeciles, sorry, organisers posting comments shouting down people as racists etc etc even when those comments were perfectly valid questions about why they felt the need to gather in the middle of a pandemic. They then disabled comments from anyone outside of the admins group for it.

I didn't think we had snowflakes of his level in Ireland yet but he's a militant gob****e in his flakism - the very worst kind. All big mouth and shouting down people until that mouth eventually catches a fist in it. I'm kind of hoping something kicks off on Saturday when they meet up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

People Before Profit? What people? Not healthcare workers. Not older vulnerable people. Not everyone who's managed to slow down the spread of covid by following the rules. Maybe a name change is in order

Some People before Profit

Hrududu wrote: »
    People Before Profit? What people? Not healthcare workers. Not older vulnerable people. Not everyone who's managed to slow down the spread of covid by following the rules. Maybe a name change is in order

Some People before Profit

Even their name irks me, appealing to the lowest denominator. If companies don’t make profit, people don’t get paid (unless you’ve never worked and enjoy a dole payment for free every week)- it’s simple logic but lost on those communists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

The marches are noting to do with BLM they are anti direct provision marches. Time for our leaders
    To actually step up and say no to the marches going ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

F34 wrote: »
    The marches are noting to do with BLM they are anti direct provision marches. Time for our leaders

This was highlighted in another thread. It's disgusting to hop onto the George and blacklifes movement to push a different cause of open borders for all. Encouraging mass gatherings in the middle of a pandemic of a new infectious disease where restrictions have been applied to the population to curb the spread of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

From the Indo article yesterday reporting the cancellation:
    The move comes after thousands of mostly young participants who took part in last Saturday’s “Black Lives Matter Solidarity Protest” were strongly criticised by gardai and Government officials for ignoring social distancing and gathering in mass groups despite the ongoing pandemic.
    Did I miss something? I've seen sod all criticism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone out marching and blocking access to city centre when shops reopen should be arrested and charged with a breach of the peace if there isn't a ban put on these marches and gatherings the Garda are just using them as a chance for extra pay which is how things work in this dog run country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I noticed this also. They have evolved the overall message from “condemning the death of George Floyd” to a litany of random problems like direct provision

What really makes me sick is seeing the guards act the “tough guy” with the debenhams workers - BULLYING middle aged ladies mainly

But they run to the hills when the BLM March arrives ??

I love the anti direct provision rhetoric from people who haven’t a clue about what the correct process for asylum is (first safe country after leaving your own). If any of them have the brains to provide an answer as to how you can pass through multiple safe locations and end up on an island off the west of Europe with your hands out I’d be interested to hear it. There isn’t one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Party in finglas right now, DJ that can be heard 2km away.
    Finglas garda called probably a few hundred times in the last 3 hours, they only have one car which is out on a higher priority issue so can't deal with it.
    Blanch don't want to know and cabra just call finglas station.

Garda don't have power or just don't care. Even without social distancing in operation it's a joke.

Social distancing is over. Any more about it is just government spin, pretending to care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Party in finglas right now, DJ that can be heard 2km away..

they should up the wattage and get that to 5km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Can someone explain this?

Social distancing is important. 2 metres not 1. But you can play sport in groups of up to 15.

Tackling, Marking are the not social distancing.

Please explain.

Thanks

You're allowed to go training, but no contact. This is about getting the clubs back meeting, and perhaps running up and down the pitch and doing skills practice, but it's not a go-ahead for matches (even during training).

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7ae99f-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-june-8-phase-2/

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,195 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Beasty wrote: »
    Threads merged

But still at 2M apart, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I presume that this is the thread where we are allowed to talk about mass protests during a pandemic.
    Is the Black Lives Matters protest/show going ahead in Dublin today?
    Leo said yesterday that mass gatherings were still prohibited, but we presume not for marches that relates to events on another continent.
    If the weather is inclement, maybe the dedication of the protesters might be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

Kivaro wrote: »
    I presume that this is the thread where we are allowed to talk about mass protests during a pandemic.
    Leo said yesterday that mass gatherings were still prohibited, but we presume not for marches that relates to events on another continent.
    If the weather is inclement, maybe the dedication of the protesters might be tested.

Nothing Leo says is legitimate anymore. By not condemning the protests he pretty much resigned and said sort yourselves out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Nothing Leo says is legitimate anymore. By not condemning the protests he pretty much resigned and said sort yourselves out!

Given the announcement yesterday, I am even more disgusted with Leo not condemning the march on Monday.

He had to have known at that stage that things were going to speed up and there would be more emphasis placed on people keeping Social Distance as we open up.

To not use the march as an opportunity to reinforce the need to keep Social Distance just showed that he’s only interested in his image as a liberal, and not in actually governing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Kivaro wrote: »

Yeah, marches with no distancing in place for things that people like Varadkar agree with are ok, no talk of anyone killing their granny with covid19 whatsoever, but a couple of weeks ago if you were the 11th person attending a family funeral, stood within 2 meters from someone or wanted to buy a pair of curtains your were responsible for extending the lockdown and killing people.

Advertisement