Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd imagine that privately some government figures and health figures are happy there was a march, as it will provide an opportunity to see the effect that a mass gathering in Dublin will have on the R numbers.

They need to know these things but they can't exactly organise a mass gathering themselves without contradicting their wider messaging.

People crying because they don't think the government gave enough twitter statements or something, who really gives a **** about that. A mass gathering that had a negligible effect on new cases? That would be the real news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

JL555 wrote: »
    Yeah, marches with no distancing in place for things that people like Varadkar agree with are ok, no talk of anyone killing their granny with covid19 whatsoever, but a couple of weeks ago if you were the 11th person attending a family funeral, stood within 2 meters from someone or wanted to buy a pair of curtains your were responsible for extending the lockdown and killing people.
    I was talking to someone who is going to a funeral today.
    It is going to take place in a very large cathedral in an Irish city.
    And they are disgusted that 5,000 "protesters" were glorified by Leo and others in the mass gathering last week in Dublin but yet there are still strict guidelines for funerals ..... even in very large churches. They were repeatedly told that the maximum allowed for today's funeral is 10.

Seems odd that the only place that you cannot have "mass" gatherings these days ...... is a church/cathedral.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

I'd imagine that privately some government figures and health figures are happy there was a march, as it will provide an opportunity to see the effect that a mass gathering in Dublin will have on the R numbers.

They need to know these things but they can't exactly organise a mass gathering themselves without contradicting their wider messaging.

People crying because they don't think the government gave enough twitter statements or something, who really gives a **** about that. A mass gathering that had a negligible effect on new cases? That would be the real news.

Are you referring to me when you said people crying? Rude. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Are you referring to me when you said people crying? Rude. :rolleyes:

I neither know nor care who you are.

I neither know nor care who you are.

Are the rest of your 13,000 posts on the internet as riveting as this?

Anyway, Leo didn't condemn the protests on Twitter or elsewhere. It basically gives the people who want to break the guidelines more justification and probably pushes people who were on the line to ignore the guidelines too. That means it doesn't matter if the mass gathering had a negligible effect on new cases. It means that there will be a loss of confidence in the guidelines, the gardai and the government. What happens if the government want to move back a phase in the future? More people will ignore them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Are the rest of your 13,000 posts on the internet as riveting as this?

Anyway, Leo didn't condemn the protests on Twitter or elsewhere. It basically gives the people who want to break the guidelines more justification and probably pushes people who were on the line to ignore the guidelines too. That means it doesn't matter if the mass gathering had a negligible effect on new cases. It means that there will be a loss of confidence in the guidelines, the gardai and the government. What happens if the government want to move back a phase in the future? More people will ignore them.

Whatever about Leo, I'm glad we don't have that plank Trudeau in charge. How hypocritical.

Seems its only us plebs that need to play by the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

hmmm wrote: »
    You've been asked to do something and you've decided not to - we're all adults and can make our own decisions, but what's with the trying to justify it based on what someone else has done? Just man (or woman up) and say "I've been asked to do something by our government and public health doctors, and I've decided I'm going to ignore their request."

If we do see a resurgence, you should be honest with yourself as well at that point, and don't start trying to say "oh well I was just doing what all those teenagers were doing on O'Connell Street". You made this decision.

I've seen this argument elsewhere, and it's nonsense.

We've had ten weeks of being told we're all in this together, we need to make sacrifices, show solidarity as a society in order to stop the spread of this pandemic. That restriction are absolutely necessary. People have died alone in hospital without their family being able to see them. People can't have proper funerals. Mental health is suffering greatly. But we're told it's all for the greater good.

Then out of nowhere, a massive group of irresponsible idiots completely ignore that and march through the city centre, completely undermining all of that, and the response of those in charge of deciding and implementing our coronavirus response is, bizarrely, to completely ignore it and pretend it didn't happen.

There's only a limited number of conclusions I can see that can be drawn from this.

1. It doesn't matter
    Maybe they think that at this point the risk isn't actually that serious. Maybe they genuinely feel that 4000 people gathering in close proximity isn't going to have a significant effect at this stage on the spread of the virus. In which case the pandemic is pretty much over and what I personally do is irrelevant. This seems both ridiculously optimistic and unlikely, given the the easing of restrictions from Monday increases the number of people who can meet outdoors to 6, and not 4000. But maybe that's a typo.

2. The primary basis for our coronavirus response is political, rather than medical.
    Regardless of the massive risk to public health of failing to address the protests, those in charge are worried that any criticism will be accused of being racist. And instead of showing the leadership required, they're more concerned with protecting their own political image. But that then raises huge questions about all policies enacted by them, and whether they're 100% based on what's definitely in the public interest, or how much of it is pandering to populism. In which case it seems people are better off making my own judgement on risks. That swings both ways - just because it's politically popular to ease some restrictions, doesn't mean anyone should blindly follow that if they don't feel safe.

3. All the restrictions to date have indeed been the minimum necessary to prevent a surge in Covid-19 cases. And the failure to even comment on the protests is just pure political cowardice.
    This is the most pessimistic option, since it suggest a strong chance that after such a massive disregard for the restrictions we'll see a large increase in cases over the next couple of weeks. Which will possibly lead to either an accelerated second wave or reintroduction of restrictions.
    I've followed all the rules and had minimal human contact for 10 weeks.
    If I've got a limited window now to do something about that, then the only logical response is to do so now even if it means breaking some of the current restrictions.

I'm not saying any one of these scenarios are the actual case, but under any of them, blindly following the current restrictions went out the window when thousands of people poured petrol on the fire and the fire brigade stuck their fingers in its ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

MOH wrote: »
    I'm not saying any one of these scenarios are the actual case, but under any of them, blindly following the current restrictions went out the window when thousands of people poured petrol on the fire and the fire brigade stuck their fingers in its ears.
    You are responsible for your own decisions. If you decide you are not going to do something because you are upset that the actions of someone else were not condemned by someone else, that's still your decision no matter how you try and frame it. There are plenty of others in the country still doing the right thing, and not sitting there refreshing Twitter and Facebook to see if they can justify doing something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

You are responsible for your own decisions. If you decide you are not going to do something because you are upset that the actions of someone else were not condemned by someone else, that's still your decision no matter how you try and frame it. There are plenty of others in the country still doing the right thing, and not sitting there refreshing Twitter and Facebook to see if they can justify doing something else.

Ah, genius. Thank you for using your superior intellect to point out that we should all be doing "the right thing".

That's blindingly obvious. The problem is determining what "the right thing" is. Because a large number of people seem to have drastically conflicting views about what that is. And those advising us what "the right thing" is seem to have no interest in addressing that.

No matter how you try to frame it, there's a genuine problem here which needs to be addressed. Pretending it doesn't exist isn't "the right thing" for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

MOH wrote: »
    Ah, genius. Thank you for using your superior intellect to point out that we should all be doing "the right thing".

That's blindingly obvious. The problem is determining what "the right thing" is. Because a large number of people seem to have drastically conflicting views about what that is.
    You seem obsessed by what other random people are doing? I don't make my personal decisions based on what Joe Twitter, Mary from Facebook or a bunch of kids in a protest are doing, I'll take my advice from the health experts who have given us very clear guidance for what they think we should be doing at this stage.

• Advertisement

It was actually funny watching the white people with the "use your white privilege" signs at the end direct provision/BLM protest this evening. 2,000 people in Dublin who do not care about Irish lives definitely not practicing social distancing ............. irrespective of the posters who will tell us that the pictures were taken at a wrong angle etc.

The fact that this farce was allowed to continue for a second weekend is a signal from our government that the restrictions are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

The RTÉ report from the protest in Galway was comical.

Even the correspondent had her mask down around her chin.

Shirley that’s not how you are supposed to wear it!

You seem obsessed by what other random people are doing? I don't make my personal decisions based on what Joe Twitter, Mary from Facebook or a bunch of kids in a protest are doing, I'll take my advice from the health experts who have given us very clear guidance for what they think we should be doing at this stage.

You're obsessed by what the other poster is doing :confused:

People's actions around covid-19 effect everyone else. You can bet I care if idiots are putting everyone else at risk

Kivaro wrote: »
    The fact that this farce was allowed to continue for a second weekend is a signal from our government that the restrictions are over.

I agree. The government can go **** themselves when it comes to their official recommendations. I will continue to be cautious and have consideration for others but with regards adhering to anything those incompetent gob****es say, I'd be better off taking advice from mattress Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

JL555 wrote: »
    Yeah, marches with no distancing in place for things that people like Varadkar agree with are ok, no talk of anyone killing their granny with covid19 whatsoever, but a couple of weeks ago if you were the 11th person attending a family funeral, stood within 2 meters from someone or wanted to buy a pair of curtains your were responsible for extending the lockdown and killing people.

The worst people in the world are those who complain where limits are set and make an example of it. "The 11th person", "the person who stood at 1.9M", limits have to be set somewhere, you are the proverbial straw that broke the camels back.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

astrofool wrote: »
    The worst people in the world are those who complain where limits are set and make an example of it. "The 11th person", "the person who stood at 1.9M", limits have to be set somewhere, you are the proverbial straw that broke the camels back.

What are you on about? Or what are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Wtf direct provision even has to do with George Floyd, a black American citizen, anyway?

Do the protesters even know the reason the vast majority of asylum seekers end up in direct provision is because their application for asylum has been denied and should be deported, but our system allows multiple appeals even when you’re deemed not eligible.

So what, we just let them stay and give them their own house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Wtf direct provision even has to do with George Floyd, a black American citizen, anyway?

Do the protesters even know the reason the vast majority of asylum seekers end up in direct provision is because their application for asylum has been denied and should be deported, but our system allows multiple appeals even when you’re deemed not eligible.

+1

That is exactly what RTE, the Irish Times, the Green Party and others are pushing for.

As soon as an African or someone from the Indian sub-continent flies into Dublin from London, Berlin, Paris etc., and mutters the word "asylum", the above groups are demanding immediate lone housing after processing. They all know that it will just further open the flood gates. It's an economically and socially insane concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Some people are forgetting to socially distance themselves away from others. I met a neighbour in the village and he was nearly on top of me for a chat. I stepped back and he came forward and nearer to me. I continued to step back and he continued to edge nearer to me. No way was he keeping a metre between us. I had to remind him of the need to keep 5 miles away from others.

• Advertisement

owlbethere wrote: »
    Some people are forgetting to socially distance themselves away from others. I met a neighbour in the village and he was nearly on top of me for a chat. I stepped back and he came forward and nearer to me. I continued to step back and he continued to edge nearer to me. No way was he keeping a metre between us. I had to remind him of the need to keep 5 miles away from others.

5 miles ??!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,093 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Don't they end up in direct provision straight away, before their application has been adjudicated on at all?

astrofool wrote: »

I think you missed the point completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Continuing to social distance here but coming up against a lot of people ignoring any kind of distance and just going back to the way things were. Struggling, as have a toddler and have grandparents both sides just 60 who are healthy but I'm not prepared to take chances...other people have different opinions but what about those of you continuing to? Feel like I've missed a memo, as seems like people have dropped distancing altogether, indoor meals etc. Have declined invites for indoor meets as it's much easier manage a toddler outdoors playing ball etc! Is there anyone actually left distancing?!

Let a roar at them. Had to do it a good few times, I’d say three quarters genuinely pretend to have forgot and you’ll get cheek off the rest. But if enough people tell them to get the **** back then they might start doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I was supposed to pick up some equipment from a colleague at their house next Monday, but in the meantime they will be travelling to Spain for 3-4 days

My understanding from the current measures, is they should self isolate for 14 days on return, I take it that means I should avoid any contact for this period?

just found this
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/e885b2-covid-19-coronavirus-travel-advice/

Looks not then and no work for them when they come back???????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I was supposed to pick up some equipment from a colleague at their house next Monday, but in the meantime they will be travelling to Spain for 3-4 days

My understanding from the current measures, is they should self isolate for 14 days on return, I take it that means I should avoid any contact for this period?

I've had to travel for work and also collect some equipment / drop off some equipment for place of work shortly after I returned (critical equipment checks).

Don't know if it will work for you but - I used my head - placed the items I needed to drop off into my car on Friday. They stayed in car till following Tuesday (studies indicate viable infectious virus can't live more than 72 hours on surfaces) and when I dropped them off I had someone come out and take them from the boot of the car (have a remote boot opener) without me getting out etc.

Same person placed the parts I needed to work on in the boot and I drove back home again. No risk of anyone getting contaminated from that.

Obviously this was only done because items were critically required to be worked on - I certainly wouldn't do it if the work can be safely postponed for the time being.

Deagol wrote: »
    I've had to travel for work and also collect some equipment / drop off some equipment for place of work shortly after I returned (critical equipment checks).

Don't know if it will work for you but - I used my head - placed the items I needed to drop off into my car on Friday. They stayed in car till following Tuesday (studies indicate viable infectious virus can't live more than 72 hours on surfaces) and when I dropped them off I had someone come out and take them from the boot of the car (have a remote boot opener) without me getting out etc.

Same person placed the parts I needed to work on in the boot and I drove back home again. No risk of anyone getting contaminated from that.

Obviously this was only done because items were critically required to be worked on - I certainly wouldn't do it if the work can be safely postponed for the time being.

ya its not critical for me to have the stuff this soon, it was just planned but after i heard of the trip, I decided to postpone, not taking any chances especially if there is even the slightest chance one person on the plane tests positive on return and I get roped into something thats avoidable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    ya its not critical for me to have the stuff this soon, it was just planned but after i heard of the trip, I decided to postpone, not taking any chances especially if there is even the slightest chance one person on the plane tests positive on return and I get roped into something thats avoidable

Get the item before they go?

To thine own self be true

Advertisement