Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Get the item before they go?

No chance as he’s flying tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

Got a call from a sibling that she was coming down to visit this weekend. I pointed out that you can't travel beyond your home county or 20km from home, not until the 29th anyway. She kept insisting that it's ok as loads others are allegedly travelling across the country, able to travel anywhere in Northern Ireland...well, the rules up in the north don't negate the ones in place here.

She also works in a hospital so there's the offchance that she could pass the virus to myself or our medically vunerable parents, which was what was pissing me off more than anything else - honestly she should know better as there's no way for her to properly self-isolate or socially distance here if you ignore the travel restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

chite wrote: »
    Got a call from a sibling that she was coming down to visit this weekend. I pointed out that you can't travel beyond your home county or 20km from home, not until the 29th anyway. She kept insisting that it's ok as loads others are allegedly travelling across the country, able to travel anywhere in Northern Ireland...well, the rules up in the north don't negate the ones in place here.

She also works in a hospital so there's the offchance that she could pass the virus to myself or our medically vunerable parents, which was what was pissing me off more than anything else - honestly she should know better as there's no way for her to properly self-isolate or socially distance here if you ignore the travel restrictions.

What difference does it make if she comes home this weekend, or next weekend when it’s permitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

chite wrote: »

Why should she bother to follow rules in this jurisdiction when its been flouted by our own citizens aided and abetted by this goverment, its a sick a joke now which I believe will come back to haunt us.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

What difference does it make if she comes home this weekend, or next weekend when it’s permitted?

Because them's the rules

Anyway that's not the issue for me, it's moreso what I said in the second paragraph that I have a problem with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Maybe because the government has put those dates in place for a reason. As in, they think a week's time will reduce the threat of transmission even moreso than letting everyone do what they like this week. Your post is like saying what difference does it make whether people visit in March or now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

fr336 wrote: »
    Maybe because the government has put those dates in place for a reason. As in, they think a week's time will reduce the threat of transmission even moreso than letting everyone do what they like this week. Your post is like saying what difference does it make whether people visit in March or now.

Monday is the 29th of June . So the visit is one day early

iamwhoiam wrote: »

I was replying to a poster saying what difference does this weekend or next weekend make.

fr336 wrote: »
    I was replying to a poster saying what difference does this weekend or next weekend make.

What difference does one day make then

Exactly. Early.

• Advertisement

What difference does one day make then

True

Exactly. Early.

Yeh one day will definitely show the virus who is boss !!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yeh one day will definitely show the virus who is boss !!
    Do we all get to say “feck the rules”?
    My understanding is that we’re all in this together and yet a few selfish tossers think they are above the rules. Well you’re not!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

My understanding is that we’re all in this together and yet a few selfish tossers think they are above the rules. Well you’re not!
    People have responded in different ways to this, rightly or wrongly. You can only look after yourself. Going all Typhoid Mary when you may well have to face some of them after all of this doesn't strike me as a good way to go about it.

Come on !!! 24 hours is not going to have the slightest bit of difference in the scenario .
    The person hasn’t see her parents for months , she can visit on Sunday the 28th to see them and you want her to wait becuae its its about 8 hours till the 29th ?

If you visit an elderly relative and take good care on Sunday or Monday can you actually explain the difference to me ?
    The virus wont know the day so you take all precautions and look after the elderly and stay safe

Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

terenc wrote: »
    Why should she bother to follow rules in this jurisdiction when its been flouted by our own citizens
    Because she's an adult and can make her own decisions? One person won't make much difference in the big scheme of things, but if all 4 and a half million of us start to ignore the requests it puts us all at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Is that video from today yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jasus, it's like being at the start of the lockdown when people were going all Stasi on people going for 2.5km walks again.

We’ve come such a long way downhill since this all this started. An absolutely nothing society and just a shower of ‘suit yourself’ merchants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭larbakium

What are the rules for airlines, regarding social distancing?

I was told that on planes, many times the crew is not contesting the non use of masks. Is it obligatory?
    Are certain seats reserved, where people can not seat for distancing? Like on public transports?

E.g for restaurants they say min 1mtr apart and max indoor stay time of 105min.

Majority of flights will take aourn or longer than 2hrs. Do they have the same rules?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Brown Thomas on a Saturday, throngs of people security not giving a **** and all the promises they’ve made about maintaining standards of safety was of course bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Brown Thomas on a Saturday, throngs of people security not giving a **** and all the promises they’ve made about maintaining standards of safety was of course bull****

Retailers can only put in measures to try to help.

If the public want to do whatever they want and show no personal responsibility, there isn't much that can be done at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

NIMAN wrote: »

If the public want to do whatever they want and show no personal responsibility, there isn't much that can be done at that point.

they could ask them to leave but at the moment any retailer doing that is probably losing an opportunity of a sale

They can ensure only a certain amount of people are let in at a time . Supermarkets managed it for months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Responsibility falls on both. Walked past a v busy new barber shop on Dundrum main st yesterday, no customers or staff wearing masks. Just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

"C'mon everyone. We've come too far to go back.
    What "tosser" said that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

I’m all for relaxation of restrictions but..

..what is it with ignorant people?

I was queuing in Blanchardstown SC today outside for a coffee. The place in question has no signage, markings etc. Two 40-something Polish speakers were behind me. Within half a step of me. Twice he brushed me and then clipped my heels. I pushed my arms back to try make some space. Then he coughed in the air from I’d say a rulers length away.

Now I left the queue and made my feelings known, which I probably shouldn’t have because a load of 20-somethings started calling me a pr**k.

Why can’t people have some cop on? I’m not expecting 2m but don’t invade someone’s personal space. You shouldn’t have to make a scene to not have someone in your face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

People are celebrating the 'fact' that it's all over, smh.

Advertisement