Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

myself & wife and friends of ours were discussing in the last few days about going out for a meal in Aug (4 of us)

all 4 of us seem to be ok with it, but was watching the news last night on their part about going out in bars, etc and they said if you meet someone you know in the bar, you say hello, keep your 2m and dont stay long

That wouldnt work then for 2 couples from different houses, any thoughts?

We've been doing our bit the last few months but would it be any different than going around to someones house for a visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    myself & wife and friends of ours were discussing in the last few days about going out for a meal in Aug (4 of us)

all 4 of us seem to be ok with it, but was watching the news last night on their part about going out in bars, etc and they said if you meet someone you know in the bar, you say hello, keep your 2m and dont stay long

We've been doing our bit the last few months but would it be any different than going around to someones house for a visit?

Go out and enjoy you’re dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Rfrip wrote: »
    Go out and enjoy you’re dinner

As we are doomed anyway? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I will never understand attitudes like this, with respect to you.

Worrying about the "rules" to the nth degree like this when the "rules" are only there to set parameters and guide behaviours indirectly, they were not designed to micro manage people in every situation. All of these rules and guidelines are perfect examples of a time where people should follow the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law. 99% of the benefit comes from people having common sense and social distancing in general rather than worrying that meeting with Tim and Jenny is directly going to kill 3 nursing homes.

Go and meet your friends and have your dinner, wash your hands and be aware of the wider situation, thats all society really needs from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I will never understand attitudes like this, with respect to you.

Worrying about the "rules" to the nth degree like this when the "rules" are only there to set parameters and guide behaviours indirectly, they were not designed to micro manage people in every situation. All of these rules and guidelines are perfect examples of a time where people should follow the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law. 99% of the benefit comes from people having common sense and social distancing in general rather than worrying that meeting with Tim and Jenny is directly going to kill 3 nursing homes.

Go and meet your friends and have your dinner, wash your hands and be aware of the wider situation, thats all society really needs from people.

thanks for the reply, I'm aware of the "rules" and guidelines and that in this phase indoor gatherings of up to 50 are allowed (hope thats correct)

which is all good and so yes restaurants are open and we decided that we need to start going out and other couple feel the same

However, last nights report on RTE was a bit misleading...they had the reporter in a bar/restaurant and she said that if you do meet someone you know in the bar then maintain 2m distance etc and keep it brief

this would be the complete opposite then to sitting in a restaurant at the same table with 2 others for about 2hrs

My feeling is that as much as it was vague with Leo in charge, its going to be worse now with MM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

I arrived from France today. I was surprised at the lack of face masks in supermarkets in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Scoondal wrote: »
    I arrived from France today. I was surprised at the lack of face masks in supermarkets in Ireland.

I'm surprised that people are taking international flights!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

So you arrived from France and went out shopping in the same day? That's responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Why were you in a supermarket ? You should be quarantining ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

thanks for the reply, I'm aware of the "rules" and guidelines and that in this phase indoor gatherings of up to 50 are allowed (hope thats correct)

which is all good and so yes restaurants are open and we decided that we need to start going out and other couple feel the same

However, last nights report on RTE was a bit misleading...they had the reporter in a bar/restaurant and she said that if you do meet someone you know in the bar then maintain 2m distance etc and keep it brief

this would be the complete opposite then to sitting in a restaurant at the same table with 2 others for about 2hrs

My feeling is that as much as it was vague with Leo in charge, its going to be worse now with MM

It is vague but my understanding is, if you do go into say someone else's home, you must maintain a 2m distance from each other in the home.
    So it's the same for going meeting in a pub/restaurant setting.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Why were you in a supermarket ? You should be quarantining ?

Why shoud I be in quarantine ? I don't have the virus.

Why shoud I be in quarantine ? I don't have the virus.

Because you arrived from France .

Arriving in Ireland from another country

By law, if you arrive in Ireland from any other country you will need to fill in a form called the Covid-19 Passenger Locator Form.

You'll also be asked to restrict your movements for 14 days.

Because you arrived from France .

Huh ? What is wrong with France ?
    Did I miss something while I was abroad ?
    Immigration waved me on.

Huh ? What is wrong with France ?
    Did I miss something while I was abroad ?
    Immigration waved me on.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/returning_to_ireland/

Anyone arriving from abroad, apart from Northern Ireland, is also asked to self-isolate on arrival for 14 days. Read more about self-isolation in the next section, including exceptions.

You can get advice for people who have recently returned from abroad from the Health Service Executive (HSE). You can find out more about the range of measures in place to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic in Ireland on citizensinformation.ie.

So you arrived from France and went out shopping in the same day? That's responsible.

Irish people are being very irresponsible in public. I am being a very respectful person by wearing my mask, sanitising my hands and shopping cart and by keeping distance from other people.

Are you saying that I am doing something wrong ?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/returning_to_ireland/

Anyone arriving from abroad, apart from Northern Ireland, is also asked to self-isolate on arrival for 14 days. Read more about self-isolation in the next section, including exceptions.

You can get advice for people who have recently returned from abroad from the Health Service Executive (HSE). You can find out more about the range of measures in place to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic in Ireland on citizensinformation.ie.

I thought that was until July 9.

Okay. I just googled it.
    So the new government has decided to be hard line and extended the quarantine rule for arrivals until 20 July. There was no evidence of this in Ringaskiddy this morning. We were just waved through.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I thought that was until July 9.

The green list of 'air bridge' countries won't be published until July 20th.

This is the latest from the HSE website on the restriction of movements for those arriving in Ireland from outside this island:

Restricting your movements means staying at home and avoiding contact with other people and social situations as much as possible.

Do not:
    • use public transport
    • visit others
    • meet face-to-face with anyone who is at higher risk from coronavirus
    • go to the shop unless absolutely necessary - wear a face covering if you do

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/travel.html#Restrict-movements-travel

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Irish people are being very irresponsible in public. I am being a very respectful person by wearing my mask, sanitising my hands and shopping cart and by keeping distance from other people.

Are you saying that I am doing something wrong ?

TBH if you're being sensible I wouldn't worry too much about the 'official' rules

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Was in shop yesterday and was in a line and the line clearly has markers saying keep 2m apart and spots for you to stand on to,

The one behind me I am going to call her Your classic Karen, kept getting closer and closer and nearly up my ass and was hitting off me,

Turned around and went to her sorry could you keep 2m back and stand on your spot and keep some social distance,

My god she went nuts, saying I am rude, I have no manors, I have no right to tell her what to do, she can do what she wonts,

I turned to her I said sorry when I asked you to move it’s not my fault we have COVID but if there is going to be a 2nd wave it’s going to be caused by people like you who have no respect.

What made it better the person in shop who is looking after the line said thank you to me and she said to Karen you need to stay on your spot while in the line .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Was in shop yesterday and was in a line and the line clearly has markers saying keep 2m apart and spots for you to stand on to,

The one behind me I am going to call her Your classic Karen, kept getting closer and closer and nearly up my ass and was hitting off me,

Turned around and went to her sorry could you keep 2m back and stand on your spot and keep some social distance,

My god she went nuts, saying I am rude, I have no manors, I have no right to tell her what to do, she can do what she wonts,

I turned to her I said sorry when I asked you to move it’s not my fault we have COVID but if there is going to be a 2nd wave it’s going to be caused by people like you who have no respect.

What made it better the person in shop who is looking after the line said thank you to me and she said to Karen you need to stay on your spot while in the line .....

You were rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

polesheep wrote: »
    You were rude.

No, she was rude, complete and utter lack of respect for others and a willing ignorance of the consequences her stupid actions could have.

You were rude.

No they weren’t. People like you are the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

You were rude.

fu(k off. That's rude. Politely reminding some moron that we are still supposed to be social distancing isn't.

kenmm wrote: »
    fu(k off. That's rude. Politely reminding some moron that we are still supposed to be social distancing isn't.

Telling someone to "Stand on your spot" and then posting to complain about someone else's rudeness is a bit rich. Some people's reaction to that command would have been a lot more than rude.

Telling someone to "Stand on your spot" and then posting to complain about someone else's rudeness is a bit rich. Some people's reaction to that command would have been a lot more than rude.

You seem to have it all wrong . Not standing on the spot and staying 2 metres back is rude . Asking someone to do so is not .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

So:

Not doing what you’re supposed to do = ah sure you know yourself, be grand.

Asking someone to do what they’re supposed to do = rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

:pac:

You seem to have it all wrong . Not standing on the spot and staying 2 metres back is rude . Asking someone to do so is not .

Not staying two metres away is not on, but telling someone to "Stand on your spot" could easily get you a broken nose. Nothing wrong with politely asking a person to keep their distance. There's been a lot of good will, but if people start speaking with a "stand on your spot" attitude that could be lost. I'm an even tempered person, but if anyone tells me to "stand on your spot" they're going to quickly wish they hadn't.

• Advertisement

Not staying two metres away is not on, but telling someone to "Stand on your spot" could easily get you a broken nose. Nothing wrong with politely asking a person to keep their distance. There's been a lot of good will, but if people start speaking with a "stand on your spot" attitude that could be lost. I'm an even tempered person, but if anyone tells me to "stand on your spot" they're going to quickly wish they hadn't.

You don’t ask a Karen. Karen’s need to be told.

Advertisement