Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

polesheep wrote: »
    Not staying two metres away is not on, but telling someone to "Stand on your spot" could easily get you a broken nose. Nothing wrong with politely asking a person to keep their distance. There's been a lot of good will, but if people start speaking with a "stand on your spot" attitude that could be lost. I'm an even tempered person, but if anyone tells me to "stand on your spot" they're going to quickly wish they hadn't.

tenor.gif?itemid=11907187

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not staying two metres away is not on, but telling someone to "Stand on your spot" could easily get you a broken nose. Nothing wrong with politely asking a person to keep their distance. There's been a lot of good will, but if people start speaking with a "stand on your spot" attitude that could be lost. I'm an even tempered person, but if anyone tells me to "stand on your spot" they're going to quickly wish they hadn't.

When someone shouts fore at a golf course do you theaten them with violence?
    'Stand on your spot' in a supermarket with such spots marked out is the same.
    Even tempered people don't react that way to being told to keep their distance when they have come too close in the context of a pandemic that has cost 1700 lives in this country alone. Act like an adult. If you've come too close and someone calls you out on it - not in an insulting way but in a sharp and direct way - you accept it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Scoondal wrote: »
    Why shoud I be in quarantine ? I don't have the virus.

Did you get tested?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

YFlyer wrote: »
    Did you get tested?

Maybe Scoondal's logic is that if you can't see it, it doesn't exist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

odyssey06 wrote: »
    When someone shouts fore at a golf course do you theaten them with violence?
    'Stand on your spot' in a supermarket with such spots marked out is the same.
    Even tempered people don't react that way to being told to keep their distance when they have come too close in the context of a pandemic that has cost 1700 lives in this country alone. Act like an adult. If you've come too close and someone calls you out on it - not in an insulting way but in a sharp and direct way - you accept it.

You genuinely cannot see the difference between "Would you please mind keeping your distance" and "Stand on your spot'?

• Advertisement

You genuinely cannot see the difference between "Would you please mind keeping your distance" and "Stand on your spot'?

There's a difference but it's immaterial and irrelevent as irrelavent as shouting "Fore" or "Do watch out chaps... Fore!". The person was too close, there's a public health pandemic. They weren't being asked to do something they shouldn't have been doing already. The kind of people who take issue with something important like that is the kind of person who thinks they can do no wrong. That nobody is entitled to call them out when they make their mistakes, but approach them as some sort of penitent supplicant - even though they were the ones making the mistake.
    They need to be told to stay back. It doesn't have to be polite, it just has to be said in an immediate way and without putting in an insult e.g. "stay back" versus "stay back you moron".
    There's no time for niceties if the person has encroached.

You appear unable to see see that the person who encroached here is the one in the wrong, instead preferring to quibble over the way in which the wronged party corrected them. In a public health pandemic. I think your responses here have nothing to do with politeness but are another example of the myopic attitude you display across multiple threads towards this virus which has killed 1700 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    myself & wife and friends of ours were discussing in the last few days about going out for a meal in Aug (4 of us)

all 4 of us seem to be ok with it, but was watching the news last night on their part about going out in bars, etc and they said if you meet someone you know in the bar, you say hello, keep your 2m and dont stay long

That wouldnt work then for 2 couples from different houses, any thoughts?

We've been doing our bit the last few months but would it be any different than going around to someones house for a visit?

The ambiguity arises from the fact a lot of people are ignoring the guidelines, people are meeting as you outline in restaurants or houses etc but technically you need to keep 2m apart in houses or 1m in restaurants. In reality that’s not happening. The risk is you infect each other so if you’re okay with that then do be it, go for it.

I went to the pub by myself for some grub last week, loads of groups of lads and girls etc all at same table. Within the guidelines? No. Widespread, Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭amandstu

I see it seems to be 1 metre minimum distancing between tables in hotels.I can't find any discussion about that on the boards ,

When did that happen? Is it the same rule in restaurants?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭ForestFire

amandstu wrote: »
    I see it seems to be 1 metre minimum distancing between tables in hotels.I can't find any discussion about that on the boards ,

Meals in Hotels are generally more than 15euro and this allows you to sit closer!! Simple maths really.....

Also if your paying for a room, anything over 100euros a night, entitles you to a piggy back from reception to your room ;-)

amandstu wrote: »

Where 2 metre distancing is not feasible but other "risk mitigation" measures are in place i.e. time limited booked slots & 1 metre minimum is acceptable.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/pubs-reopening-guidelines-5125870-Jun2020/

• Advertisement

Where 2 metre distancing is not feasible but other "risk mitigation" measures are in place i.e. time limited booked slots & 1 metre minimum is acceptable.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/pubs-reopening-guidelines-5125870-Jun2020/

Thanks.I missed that at the time.

ForestFire wrote: »
    Meals in Hotels are generally more than 15euro and this allows you to sit closer!! Simple maths really.....

Also if your paying for a room, anything over 100euros a night, entitles you to a piggy back from reception to your room ;-)

Too big to fail? We will see how it goes,fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

YFlyer wrote: »
    Did you get tested?

Yes. I got tested by a doctor in France on 6 July. I got my negative result on 8 July. All very efficient. I showed my EU health card and there was no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

There's a difference but it's immaterial and irrelevent as irrelavent as shouting "Fore" or "Do watch out chaps... Fore!". The person was too close, there's a public health pandemic. They weren't being asked to do something they shouldn't have been doing already. The kind of people who take issue with something important like that is the kind of person who thinks they can do no wrong. That nobody is entitled to call them out when they make their mistakes, but approach them as some sort of penitent supplicant - even though they were the ones making the mistake.
    They need to be told to stay back. It doesn't have to be polite, it just has to be said in an immediate way and without putting in an insult e.g. "stay back" versus "stay back you moron".

You appear unable to see see that the person who encroached here is the one in the wrong, instead preferring to quibble over the way in which the wronged party corrected them. In a public health pandemic. I think your responses here have nothing to do with politeness but are another example of the myopic attitude you display across multiple threads towards this virus which has killed 1700 people.

It's called having common sense and not completely overreacting. Having a type of society where people can just go around barking at other people is not one I want to live in. It leaves a harsh, unfriendly and toxic atmosphere in the air. Everyone has to play their part. It's Covid, not the black death. People who bark at people like that, will behave like that in any situation where they've been perturbed. A pandemic just gives them a little more leverage.

Everyone has to have manners. If you are that worried about getting the disease, you better be someone who literally just keeps your movements to a minimum in all walks of life.

*I saw the post above, it wasn't that unreasonable given the context. It's just about having tact and knowing that people are people. You could be completely adhering to all social distancing suggestions and then something crosses your mind and you momentarily forget. Has happened to me, when I realize it, I stand back in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I have stated that the person who encroached should have kept their distance, so you can keep the snide bit in bold to yourself.

I commented on the fact that the poster claimed the other person was rude when he/she was also rude by telling the other person to "stand on your spot".

I don't display any attitude, myopic or otherwise, I simply post my opinions as do you.

And just over 1,700 people have died whilst positive for Covid. That is not the same thing as 1,700 people dying from Covid.

I have stated that the person who encroached should have kept their distance, so you can keep the snide bit in bold to yourself.
    I commented on the fact that the poster claimed the other person was rude when he/she was also rude by telling the other person to "stand on your spot".
    I don't display any attitude, myopic or otherwise, I simply post my opinions as do you.
    And just over 1,700 people have died whilst positive for Covid. That is not the same thing as 1,700 people dying from Covid.

Look at how much you have written criticising the original poster and defending the encroacher. Your posts were clearly more hostile to the original poster's actions than those of the encroacher. Saying they should have kept their distance is not the same as saying they were wrong party in the encounter.
    You are more worked up about what the original poster said than what the encroacher did. You still don't get it.

Look at what you wrote:
    I'm an even tempered person, but if anyone tells me to "stand on your spot" they're going to quickly wish they hadn't.
    No attitude? Right.

You continue to keep up this defence of the kind of person who cares nothing for other people's health, in fact cares so little about it that on being asked to take a simple step back to help protect others, goes off on a rant because they weren't asked politely enough. That kind of person is not a mature adult. They display the attitude of an egocentric 7 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Maybe Scoondal's logic is that if you can't see it, it doesn't exist!

No, that is not my logic. But in fairness to you, you said "Maybe Scoondal's logic".
    Covid19 exists and has been in Ireland before people came back from northern Italy.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0614/1147301-coronavirus-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Irish Rail apologises after passengers forced to pack into train corridor with social distancing 'not possible' https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-rail-apologises-after-passengers-22385256

where were these people going that they were forced to be on the train?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Was in an Aldi today. First time since Covid started.

Was really surprised to see zero distancing measures. No controls at the door, no tape markings outside.

Then at the checkouts no distance markings. I queued and stood back but older man in front just went straight up to belt on top of customer in front.

When they were clear I approached it and put my shopping on and immediately a woman was behind me and puttiing her stuff on. She had a mask on. If she's aware of that then why isn't she aware of social distancing?
    What's their panic, they're not being served any slower because of it.

I was surprised how lax Aldi were about it though compared to other shops I have been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Irish Rail apologises after passengers forced to pack into train corridor with social distancing 'not possible' https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-rail-apologises-after-passengers-22385256

where were these people going that they were forced to be on the train?

They were going to Dublin.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was in Homebase the other day, to be fair to the shop they had everything in place, walkways to lead you to the tills, plenty of floor markings.

Everyone was doing things right in the queues, except the one gulpin behind me, who was maybe 6 inches behind me. Everytime I moved forward, he moved to within the 6 inches again.

He was a thick looking guy who I had no intention of questioning over it. Its not worth the hassle. But Jesus some folk are thick and/or ignorant.

murpho999 wrote: »
    They were going to Dublin.:P

for essential work? all these teenagers ? https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-rail-apologises-after-passengers-22385256

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Gaeltachts are back up & running

essential gaeltachts?

essential gaeltachts?

gatherings less than 50 loophole I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Where were the Gaeltachts all along ? !

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Where were the Gaeltachts all along ? !

they had to cancel everything when covid lockdown commenced but have since opened up for shorter visits and less attending < 50

gatherings less than 50 loophole I guess

all these kids have separate rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

they had to cancel everything when covid lockdown commenced but have since opened up for shorter visits and less attending < 50

Oh you mean Gaeltachts summer schools ? Then my family live in a Gaeltacht and were very much alive and kicking all through the lockdown !! Only pulling your leg really !

• Advertisement

all these kids have separate rooms?

I know of one operating and they have 2 per room, generally friends who travel together

Advertisement