Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

This caught my eye last night on a Travel sub Reddit

I thought back in March that the Irish people's constant need to chat and socialize would be a terrible trait during all of this. In contrast I thought that "colder" nationalities like Germans would fare better

I'll give you two guesses what country is the most upvoted, but you'll only need one

https://www.reddit.com/r/solotravel/comments/ixvmat/travelers_of_which_country_did_you_find_to_be_the/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

So, this is how it all ends! People are going to die because ENTIRE families have to go Range in LV together and trying to keep social distancing even in queue is impossible. We probably deserve a bad outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

degsie wrote: »
    So, this is how it all ends! People are going to die because ENTIRE families have to go Range in LV together and trying to keep social distancing even in queue is impossible. We probably deserve a bad outcome.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

degsie wrote: »

My daughter had to walk away from the Range last week . No queue control and far too many allowed into the shop . No one controlling any aspect of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭tvjunki

At the start of the lock down people were doing their best to social distance. Clean their trolleys sanitize their hands. Wait for others to get their items and give each other space.
    Today I was in a supermarket waited for someone to pick their items and I gave them space of at least 2meter rule. (Know it is a little less but easier to work with 2meter)After they took what they wanted I went up to take a tray from the counter and another person walked straight up to me and started taking trays from the same stand. She would have well as been in my pocket she was that close. She was reaching over in front of me. She was so close to me I stood back.
    Are people forgetting or not bothering? She continued this behaviour around the whole store with other people.
    I went to another supermarket chain last week and the sanitizer stand is the opposite way to the door and some are not sanitising their baskets or their hands. This store do not clean the baskets inbetween customers. Many of the customers had no masks. Are they not getting it? What happened to staff asking people to clean their hands?
    I actually stopped going into a local store as people were going in with no masks or coverings and not bothering with the sanitizer station. Some were coughing and spluttering in the store.

• Advertisement

This has always been going on. People do the social distancing in the queue for the till but that's about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

go when its less crowded weekdays at night or early morning bring handsanatiser and wipes come with a list and spend little time there bring at most one other family member
    do only one shop a week put none perishables in boxes and leave in garage for 3 days
    shower when you come back from shops and put on clean clothes

in shops walk away from any one coughing move to another isle
    wear diposible gloves and wear a good mask if you can see through it.its not good they say covid lasts on money and credit cards for 4 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

I’ve noticed this too, had a woman last week in a Gap store who was nearly breathing down my neck browsing the clothes. I turned to her and asked if she was wanted to get up on my ****ing shoulders - got the look of death from her but she got the hint and ****ed off.

It seems to have gone out the window in recent months and I think it’s due to the masks - people wearing them see no need to maintain space as they believe both they and you are protected by a piece of fabric.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sandz066

Ppl are getting less and less considerate /aware as the weeks go on, it's very frustrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

People were always going to get fed up of restrictions at some stage. We're social creatures and we've missed out on our Summer, kids from young ones to 18 year olds missed out on several milestones. Weddings, christenings birthdays etc all gone. Even Xmas is looking iffy at this stage. I'm not saying it's right but it's not surprising people are fed up. I did notice myself that when the masks came in the sanitising and the 2 metre rule started to erode very quickly in shops. Maybe the masks gave people the impression that they were enough protection.

• Advertisement

People were always going to get fed up of restrictions at some stage. We're social creatures and we've missed out on our Summer, kids from young ones to 18 year olds missed out on several milestones. Weddings, christenings birthdays etc all gone. Even Xmas is looking iffy at this stage. I'm not saying it's right but it's not surprising people are fed up. I did notice myself that when the masks came in the sanitising and the 2 metre rule started to erode very quickly in shops. Maybe the masks gave people the impression that they were enough protection.

It's a 20min shop.. Staying 2metres away from other people isn't that much or an effort or commitment. Cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

Why do people say Christmas is looking iffy, or they're going to cancel Christmas. I mean Christmas is hardly celebrated on O connell St with a big crowd and parades. It's private family time, the only person who cam cancel Christmas is yourself

Sandz066 wrote: »
    It's a 20min shop.. Staying 2metres away from other people isn't that much or an effort or commitment. Cop on.

You are dead right, it's doesn't take much effort, but no one's doing it. I see it every day at work and it annoys the hell out of me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Start coughing and you will get plenty social distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭vafankillar

as a supermarket worker this is my only reason i'm against going to a level 5. nobody seems to give a **** about the place.

i've heard nobody from any side of the political spectrum call for regulations or support or anything to make the places safer for both workers and customers, other than the general mask rule, which isn't really being enforced.

during the last lockdown i had customers shout at me cos I never asked them for their loyalty card, like **** sake, i'm trying to minimize contact here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

tvjunki wrote: »
    At the start of the lock down people were doing their best to social distance. Clean their trolleys sanitize their hands. Wait for others to get their items and give each other space.
    Today I was in a supermarket waited for someone to pick their items and I gave them space of at least 2meter rule. (Know it is a little less but easier to work with 2meter)After they took what they wanted I went up to take a tray from the counter and another person walked straight up to me and started taking trays from the same stand. She would have well as been in my pocket she was that close. She was reaching over in front of me. She was so close to me I stood back.
    Are people forgetting or not bothering? She continued this behaviour around the whole store with other people.
    I went to another supermarket chain last week and the sanitizer stand is the opposite way to the door and some are not sanitising their baskets or their hands. This store do not clean the baskets inbetween customers. Many of the customers had no masks. Are they not getting it? What happened to staff asking people to clean their hands?
    I actually stopped going into a local store as people were going in with no masks or coverings and not bothering with the sanitizer station. Some were coughing and spluttering in the store.

Because most supermarkets round where I live including the one I work don't have a queuing or one way system in place anymore. It was only in place during the lockdown.

Why do people say Christmas is looking iffy, or they're going to cancel Christmas. I mean Christmas is hardly celebrated on O connell St with a big crowd and parades. It's private family time, the only person who cam cancel Christmas is yourself
    Iffy as in at the moment there is no visiting other households. My family xmas for example involves 4 different households.

Sandz066 wrote: »
    I said I didn't agree it's just I'm not surprised. I keep to all the guidelines personally.

Iffy as in at the moment there is no visiting other households. My family xmas for example involves 4 different households.

But only you can decide to abide by that if it comes to it. Personally, this year has been so **** with summer and all sorts of gatherings robbed by this ****ing virus but I refuse to let it take Christmas from me as well - level 5 or 50, checkpoints or no checkpoints I will be visiting my family on Christmas Day. While I’ll abide by whatever they decide for the next few weeks, I could not give a **** what restrictions are in place then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I’ve noticed this too, had a woman last week in a Gap store who was nearly breathing down my neck browsing the clothes. I turned to her and asked if she was wanted to get up on my ****ing shoulders - got the look of death from her but she got the hint and ****ed off.

It seems to have gone out the window in recent months and I think it’s due to the masks - people wearing them see no need to maintain space as they believe both they and you are protected by a piece of fabric.

And would it have been any harm just asking her politely if she could give you more space?

Yes people should be practicing social distancing, but really your reaction to that woman maybe a bit OTT?

• Advertisement

as a supermarket worker this is my only reason i'm against going to a level 5. nobody seems to give a **** about the place.

i've heard nobody from any side of the political spectrum call for regulations or support or anything to make the places safer for both workers and customers, other than the general mask rule, which isn't really being enforced.

during the last lockdown i had customers shout at me cos I never asked them for their loyalty card, like **** sake, i'm trying to minimize contact here.

Most people I know are very grateful for the service you and your colleagues are giving in supermarkets. Try not to lose the faith because of dopes out there.. Most ppl are very appreciative of the work you do.
    Having worked in a supermarket before I don't envy you in these mental times. Ppl are arseh0les in general in supermarkets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's pure selfishness to ignore social distancing and proper mask usage. Cases and deaths are going up but people can't seem to make the association that it's close contact that is causing it unless they or someone close to them is affected directly.

And would it have been any harm just asking her politely if she could give you more space?

Yes people should be practicing social distancing, but really your reaction to that woman maybe a bit OTT?

You don’t understand when I say breathing down my neck I mean it, she was literally hanging over me looking at T-shirt’s while I was looking through a lower rack. There’s no need for politeness in times like this, the advice has been there for 7 months now - keep your ****ing distance and if you don’t, don’t expect niceties to remind you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

salamiii wrote: »
    go when its less crowded weekdays at night or early morning bring handsanatiser and wipes come with a list and spend little time there bring at most one other family member
    do only one shop a week put none perishables in boxes and leave in garage for 3 days
    shower when you come back from shops and put on clean clothes

in shops walk away from any one coughing move to another isle
    wear diposible gloves and wear a good mask if you can see through it.its not good they say covid lasts on money and credit cards for 4 days

Hazmat suit is the only option and get your own air supply. Crawl around the shop as the kung flu has a tendency to suspend more at head height. Also go early as it becomes more lethal as the day go goes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,602 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Social distancing was big in supermarkets for a few weeks at the very start of lockdown, but it began to fade rapidly and seems to have dissapeared completely nowadays. Wearing a mask means you don't have to distance in the eyes of many people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Some supermarkets are better than others. My local Dunnes is shockingly bad at weekends. No control over numbers (even Aldi and Lidl are enforcing that). You could easily be queuing for 30-40 minutes to get on a till (Tesco in contrast have a manager permanently stationed at the tills directing traffic so to speak). But what I do find is everyone in Dunnes & Tesco wears masks while there are an increasing number in Aldi and Lidl not wearing them.

The key is to shop at off peak times. But that's hard if you are working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I Don’t do it anymore. Some people are idiots or are in dreamland in shops. Local SV has a one way system and sanitation stations are v good. Masks are worn without fail there which is good though.

But I now get the shopping delivered. Worth every penny of the delivery charge. I’m a bit fed up of morons quite frankly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

All phone use instore should be banned or else a sector of the supermarket dedicated for these pr!cks to congregate.

All phone use instore should be banned or else a sector of the supermarket dedicated for these pr!cks to congregate.

Wish all phone in towns and city centres could be banned full stop. So sick of phone zombies completely oblivious to their surroundings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

A lot of supermarkets have signs saying "one person per trolley" - i.e. don't bring your partner and the whole family to do the week's shopping. But it doesn't seem to be enforced. It's very hard to socially distance when an entire family is taking up an aisle, oblivious to the fact that other people exist.

Advertisement