Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social distancing Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I always go 20mins before closing.
    Never any bother

• Registered Users Posts: 13,496 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have my own hand sanitizer in my pocket, that's why I don't use the one in supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

Iffy as in at the moment there is no visiting other households. My family xmas for example involves 4 different households.

There's a recommendation in place to stop households mixing. Just like it's recommended that you wash your hands, but nobody can enforce this as law. You and only you can decide if you are going to mix or not. I don't ever mix at Christmas, I stay in my own home with my own family but if I wanted to go somewhere nobody would stop me. I am not a prisoner. I have not committed any crime. I appreciate and abide by the recommendations as much as I can, I keep close contacts to a minimum, in fact even now, after being a close contact at the start of September linked to schools, and having to isolate for another 14 days, I only have my household as close contacts, the rest would be casual contacts (outdoor at a distance for a few mins in school yard while wearing a mask for example) The government can put us on level 100 but the people not following the rules are not going to start, if you know you are safe and won't be putting your elderly family members at risk then it's your choice to mix.
    I am all for keeping the world safe for vulnerable people, but I am not Mother Theresa and I value my own life over that of a strangers.
    I lost my nanny to covid, she contracted it in a nursing home, she was not sick just after a fall couldn't be independent anymore. She was completely healthy, but age (late 90s) was not on her side. I lost the right to go to her funeral, I lost the huge celebration she deserved. I will not lose my life to covid and especially not my Christmas!
    So nobody except you can cancel Christmas.
    Sorry for the rant I'm going to bed now LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

If the masks are of any use them surely social distancing isn't necessary?

Didn't people do that long before covid? Or sis everyone really stand up close and personal to everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,783 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Didn't people do that long before covid? Or sis everyone really stand up close and personal to everyone else?

When you can smell stale piss off people they are that close to you it's clear there are some emissions coming from them.

• Advertisement

If seat belts are any use then why do we have airbags, breaks or rules of the road.

There's a number of measures that need to be used together for the safest environment and even at that, there's still no 100 percent guarantee, unless you lock yourself into your underground bunker for 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Rodin wrote: »
    I always go 20mins before closing.
    Never any bother

Great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 23,755 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Some lose their concentration after a while shopping, it's natural.

No excuse to be practically touching people in the queue though. Either mention it yourself to them or spot a member of staff and mention it it to them. Don't accept someone breathing down your neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,730 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I've noticed a few supermarkets are letting in more now that the stores can handle in distancing

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Plenty do home-delivery/online shopping if you’re that bothered about this non issue.
    At a supermarket or any other store you’ll generally find other people - who knew?
    Funnily enough I don't seem to have this “problem” ever- because I find it works two ways- if someone is coming close to you then you can use the two legs nature gave you and actually move away from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I've noticed a few supermarkets are letting in more now that the stores can handle in distancing

Well then you have a choice don't you? You can exit and travel to another that may be less busy or come back at another quieter time. No one is putting a gun to anyone’s head to be in a busy supermarket

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Why do people say Christmas is looking iffy, or they're going to cancel Christmas. I mean Christmas is hardly celebrated on O connell St with a big crowd and parades. It's private family time, the only person who cam cancel Christmas is yourself
    My sister and I live in separate households and every year we go out to my parents on December 20th and stay there until January 2nd. We also decide if we go to my brothers house to see him, his wife and kids or of they all come out to us.

All of the above may not be possible this year and that's why Christmas is looking iffy.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    My sister and I live in separate households and every year we go out to my parents on December 20th and stay there until January 2nd. We also decide if we go to my brothers house to see him, his wife and kids or of they all come out to us.

All of the above may not be possible this year and that's why Christmas is looking iffy.

Why would it not be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I have a tendency to forget about distancing while shopping, common enough I'd say

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Really?

Really?

Yes really. A recommendation is made but if you know you have been following restrictions then a visit to family will be fine. Everyone knows the kind of household interactions that cause the spread, people who haven't given a crxp about the restrictions and carry on doing whatever. If you've followed restrictions then go see your bloody family.
    We are not in jail. And the ones breaking the rules will not start to follow on level 5 either.

Why do people say Christmas is looking iffy, or they're going to cancel Christmas. I mean Christmas is hardly celebrated on O connell St with a big crowd and parades. It's private family time, the only person who cam cancel Christmas is yourself

Most likely we won’t be allowed see our families for it though.

Most likely we won’t be allowed see our families for it though.

The only people that will stop you seeing your family is yourself.

That’s hardly correct. But that thinking is a sign of the bad attitude that has us in this mess and the reason I may not be able to see them.

• Advertisement

That’s hardly correct. But that thinking is a sign of the bad attitude that has us in this mess and the reason I may not be able to see them.

I have followed every rule and as stated before my only close contacts are that within my household. I don't mix at Xmas but there's no way I'd let any advice stop me from doing so.
    I have done nothing wrong and I have broke no laws nor been sentenced to jail for a crime and therefore, following guidelines for the greater good has a limit, I'm not mother Theresa , and there's a point when other people's lives are not more important than my own. Not a bad attitude, just being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Well for a start my brother and his wife are doctors. Also when my parents and I have to cocoon why would we allow others into our bubble, others that are in schools and working on the frontline.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

...or your family

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

I did a couple of family visits around the country during the summer when things were good.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Well for a start my brother and his wife are doctors. Also when my parents and I have to cocoon why would we allow others into our bubble, others that are in schools and working on the frontline.

Ok so you're not allowing others into your bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Ice cream van just drove up the street
    FFS is this an essential service?

To be honest I don’t know how these guys make a living even in summer

It’s now cold, rainy and dark

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Correct. If you really want to pack a large number of relatives of all ages into a room for hours on end, probably with most of the windows closed, ultimately it will be your choice because the state has no way to stop you from doing this.

They can only tell you that is a very bad idea during a pandemic, and you should think of a different plan.

The only problem I personally have with people saying "muh freedoms!" is that if your relatives end up in hospital, medical staff have to risk their lives to save them, and it's probably likely that we would need another lockdown in January/February if there was a big spike in cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It's inevitable every country that celebrates Christmas will have a surge in the New Year.

People will just be selfish and not realize that their supposed god given right to have massive family gatherings will actually have society wide implications.

People won't bother their holes restricting movements for two weeks either if they fly into Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m part of an organisation that works through hosting events of approx 200 people.
    Are we ever going to be able to do that again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m part of an organisation that works through hosting events of approx 200 people.
    Are we ever going to be able to do that again?

Myself and the friend were just looking at live bands from Glastonbury on Youtube, we were asking will we ever see crowds like that againt.

Tis getting fair sad at this stage..

Advertisement