Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were in Templebar last night..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Tbf the **** only hit the fan on Wednesday..most people had already travelled . I was at a match in the UK with 35k people last week and nobody gave a crap....

Cheltenham had been a hot topic of discussion for weeks beforehand with most sane people aghast that people would attend.

In fairness, most people I know were also telling anyone that went to a premiership match over the last couple of weeks that they were selfish arseholes too.

There was too much at stake. What's done is done now. Unfortunately we have to live with other people's bad decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Ironicname wrote: »
    Cheltenham had been a hot topic of discussion for weeks beforehand with most sane people aghast that people would attend.

In fairness, most people I know were also telling anyone that went to a premiership match over the last couple of weeks that they were selfish arseholes too.

There was too much at stake. What's done is done now. Unfortunately we have to live with other people's bad decisions.

Nonsense.... Last week we were laughing about handshakes being banned, the severity to ordinary Joe public came apparent on Wednesday

You havent seen this coming for the last month??!
    That is why the UK is going to fair worst than Ireland in this disaster.
    Wine chariot races and bread in Rome? Carlsberg, football and Domino's in the UK. Everyone is asleep at the wheel.

Watch them drop like flies in the UK.

https://twitter.com/PhelanVicky/status/1239258685232349185

No i did not to be honest, if I knew last week what I do now I obviously wouldn't have traveled, as I said **** hit the fan on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

WOW! you got me there. You havent the mental capacity to decide between orange and apple juice, if you think you plans had no consequences. I am glad you had a great time and I hope you can still justify your position and the position of your buddies if some of your elderly members of your family pass away.

Shure wantnt it all worth it you had the craic, had a few winner and pints and got a good ride off a brazzer. "I had my fun and thats all that matters"

Like I said in my original post, I’ve not seen anyone since I returned Friday night. I listened to the experts before I left, I listened to the experts when I was in the UK and I will continue to listen to the experts. I refuse to take you, or anyone else criticising my decision seriously. On the brazzer remark, I don’t think I’d have gotten away with that one if I even contemplated it, which I wouldn’t (you wouldn’t know what you’d catch off one of them) considering I was wife with my wife’s two brothers.

Shame on you if that’s the opinion you have of people that go to Cheltenham. Like many, many others who I’ve had the displeasure of seeing ranting on Facebook and Twitter, you obviously haven’t got a clue. This, however, isn’t surprising me in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Motivator wrote: »
    We asked because the Government are, you know, leaders of the country and are in a much better position to advise as opposed to, off the top of my head, a joe soap on an Internet forum. We spoke with the HSE and we assured that it was safe to travel and no plans were in place to cancel or restrict travel. That was Monday night. I’m old enough to be perfectly capable of making my own decision on where I travel to and as a precaution I sought advice from the experts who know more about what’s going on than anyone else in the country.

So spare me your faux outrage and cut the crap. Oh and in case you’re wondering, we had a great time. Plenty of good food was had, I backed a few winners and enjoyed myself. Which, by the sounds of things, you should learn to do.
    "Faux" means fake. Why do people keep misusing it? Oh yeah, to downplay/gaslight/deflect/discredit.

If you think the "outrage" over a pandemic that killed 365 in one region of one country in 24 hours, is fake, then what on earth would it take for you to view outrage as genuine?

And if you think that poster's anger is due to simply not being able to enjoy themselves (no evidence of that) then you are not grasping the seriousness of this crisis.

It's done now but people are objecting because the UK did not have stringent measures in place and it's an event involving close contact with thousands, so the likelihood that this highly contagious virus has been brought into Ireland by attendees is high. No point in getting defensive and deflecting/denying. Own it. I find the inability from the Cheltenham attendees to take justifiable criticism very childish. Just admit ye made a risky decision and that's that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

No i did not to be honest, if I knew last week what I do now I obviously wouldn't have traveled, as I said **** hit the fan on Wednesday

Well then you mustn’t have been watching any news or talking to anybody about current affairs.
    I’m brutal at current affairs and can tell you I and even my young kids know for a while now that this is serious sh1t

Raconteuse wrote: »
    "Faux" means fake. Why do people keep misusing it? Oh yeah, to downplay/gaslight/deflect/discredit.

If you think the "outrage" over a pandemic that killed 365 in one region of one country in 24 hours, is fake, then what on earth would it take for you to view outrage as genuine?

And if you think that poster's anger is due to simply not being able to enjoy themselves (no evidence of that) then you are not grasping the seriousness of this crisis.

It's done now but people are objecting because the UK did not have stringent measures in place and it's an event involving close contact with thousands, so the likelihood that this highly contagious virus has been brought into Ireland by attendees is high. No point in getting defensive and deflecting. Own it.

Are you going to berate the 20,000 Irish people who will return from Spain before the week is out? Have you voiced your displeasure at the several thousand who attended the Liverpool match on Wednesday night? I think not.

In the words of White Goodman - spare me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

We asked because the Government are, you know, leaders of the country and are in a much better position to advise as opposed to, off the top of my head, a joe soap on an Internet forum. We spoke with the HSE and we assured that it was safe to travel and no plans were in place to cancel or restrict travel. That was Monday night. I’m old enough to be perfectly capable of making my own decision on where I travel to and as a precaution I sought advice from the experts who know more about what’s going on than anyone else in the country.

So spare me your faux outrage and cut the crap. Oh and in case you’re wondering, we had a great time. Plenty of good food was had, I backed a few winners and enjoyed myself. Which, by the sounds of things, you should learn to do.

Regards,
    M

There was a confirmed case of Covid 19 on Monday the 9th but you still went, you maybe healthy and fit and the virus no issue to you, can you say the same of the people you have come in contact with since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Nonsense.... Last week we were laughing about handshakes being banned, the severity to ordinary Joe public came apparent on Wednesday

You never heard of the virus in Wuhan before last week or what they were trying to surpress in Italy. Sonny, you would be better off reading the news than listening to the football results. BTW the stock market is collapsing and there is someone propping it up every 4th day. We are going to have a global meltdown by the end of the month, 30% will go off the value of your home and many blue chips are insolvent,just in case nobody warned you!

Are you going to berate the 20,000 Irish people who will return from Spain before the week is out? Have you voiced your displeasure at the several thousand who attended the Liverpool match on Wednesday night? I think not.
    Of course I am. Why wouldn't I? :confused:

The persecution complex of the Cheltenham attendees knows no bounds.

• Advertisement

Well that explains it then.

Last week I was ensuring that my mam had stocked up on necessities and was preparing for what was about to come.

I can't account for your ignorance and no, "Joe public" were well aware that a ****storm was well on its way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

In the words of White Goodman - spare me.

I think anyone who has traveled aboard since this started in Italy are a bunch of selfish assh*les whether it was to cheer a horse or lay on a beach.

Motivator wrote:
    Are you going to berate the 20,000 Irish people who will return from Spain before the week is out? Have you voiced your displeasure at the several thousand who attended the Liverpool match on Wednesday night?

Yes.

And yes.

Like I said in my original post, I’ve not seen anyone since I returned Friday night. I listened to the experts before I left, I listened to the experts when I was in the UK and I will continue to listen to the experts. I refuse to take you, or anyone else criticising my decision seriously. On the brazzer remark, I don’t think I’d have gotten away with that one if I even contemplated it, which I wouldn’t (you wouldn’t know what you’d catch off one of them) considering I was wife with my wife’s two brothers.

Shame on you if that’s the opinion you have of people that go to Cheltenham. Like many, many others who I’ve had the displeasure of seeing ranting on Facebook and Twitter, you obviously haven’t got a clue. This, however, isn’t surprising me in the slightest.

You listened to what you wanted to hear. The "experts" are on the tit from either industry or government or both, they will say what they are told to say. A true friend wouldnt let you go. ..... and there we have it. You dont have to justify your position to me, you only have to your self. You couldnt resist the temptation to stay away for one year. It had to be about you and the lads?

Of course I havent got a clue because I saw this coming a mile off when students were returning to Ireland two months ago after Chinese new year. You lot could all have been in the blue light district for all I care, what would a night out be without the ball and chain without an auld BJ? I would imagine the smarter Cheltenham crowd stayed home this year, how ever there is always one (or five). But you had your fun and fair play to ye, fupp the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Motivator, I don’t think you are going to make to many friends here with your attitude.
    A few weeks ago people went to Italy and some of them basically got caught out because the didn’t know the were going to a hot spot. We knew after that....but before Cheltenham that this sh1t is serious.
    You knew there was a chance Cheltenham could very well be a hot spot. I really hope that doesn’t become the case, but it could.
    You still went along with a lot of others.
    You knew it was wrong but you took a risk. But the risk was not just about you, so you made a selfish decision.
    You are IMO though not much different to the people who are arranging and going to Covid 19 parties.
    The thing is we all have a social responsibility to limit the risk of infection and transmitting the disease.
    If the whole world went into lockdown for the next month, it would be over that quickly. But that won’t happen, because amongst other reasons, some people think they are better than others and that social responsibility doesn’t apply to them.

Fair play to you for self isolating for a few days. But let’s say you picked up SARS-CoV-2 in Cheltenham. And then you got a bus or a taxi to a pub/restaurant/ then to the airport etc etc and met plenty of people. Let’s say the baggage handler at the airport gets the virus because of you. And he passes it on to a few people, who in turn pass it on ad infinitum.

You might sneer at this idea, but it is a possibility.

I’ll finish with a question. Imagine for a moment you stayed at home, because deep down you knew it was the right thing to do. But others went and even if just one person brings it back to Ireland and causes a few others to be infected, who in turn infect some of your friends and family, who in turn die. How would you feel then?

I refuse to take you, or anyone else criticising my decision seriously. On the brazzer remark, I don’t think I’d have gotten away with that one if I even contemplated it, which I wouldn’t (you wouldn’t know what you’d catch off one of them) considering I was wife with my wife’s two brothers.

The real issue is we have to stop the stupid ones breeding.

I think anyone who has traveled aboard since this started in Italy are a bunch of selfish assh*les whether it was to cheer a horse or lay on a beach.

This only became very serious on Thursday believe it or not. Ask the HSE, because that’s what I did. I was ready to push go on a flight home but were told there was no need to panic and to fly home, as planned, on Friday night.

Why is it so difficult for people to understand this? I absolutely understand the serious position the country is in at the moment and will be in for the foreseeable future. But until Thursday, believe it or not, life was continuing as normal for the vast majority of people who live in this country. The last 48 hours have changed all of that and I am continuing to follow instructions from the HSE. Since stepping off the plane Friday night I’ve been in contact with nobody. I filled my car with diesel Monday evening before flying to the UK and the only person I’ve seen since is my one legged neighbor out the window this morning.

So get ****eð if you think you can lecture me.

Seve OB wrote: »

I’ll finish with a question. Imagine for a moment you stayed at home, because deep down you knew it was the right thing to do. But others went and even if just one person brings it back to Ireland and causes a few others to be infected, who in turn infect some of your friends and family, who in turn die. How would you feel then?

Probably thinks you should lighten up because he had his fun and that is all that matters. Anyways this is nothing more than a bit of the flu! only for the commoners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Probably thinks you should lighten up because he had his fun and that is all that matters. Anyways this is nothing more than a bit of the flu! only for the commoners.

You're such a langer

I filled my car with diesel Monday evening before flying to the UK and the only person I’ve seen since is my one legged neighbor out the window this morning.

There you have it full delusional, Nero complex. I sorted out myself and no mention of checking on anyone else.

• Advertisement

nthclare wrote: »
    You're such a langer

That is debatable, but I didnt to Cheltenham, ignored common sense and came back home and wondered why everyone was freaked out about a 5 letter acronym that isnt even this years date.

Motivator wrote:
    Why is it so difficult for people to understand this? I absolutely understand the serious position the country is in at the moment and will be in for the foreseeable future. But until Thursday, believe it or not, life was continuing as normal for the vast majority of people who live in this country.

No it wasn't. People were concerned and were clamouring for the government to take action because on an impending threat.

The country is going to be in a much more serious position next week when the cases caused by Cheltenham and premiership matches become apparent.

We will have to deal with yours and others poor choices.

Motivator wrote:

Nobody is lecturing you. We are saying that you refuse to take responsibility for your actions and you made an exceptionally selfish choice.

There is no denying that. It's not a lecture, it's a fact.

That is debatable, but I didnt to Cheltenham, ignored common sense and came back home and wondered why everyone was freaked out about a 5 letter acronym that isnt even this years date.

You sound like blind boy boatclub after a sesh...

He's another langer, spouts a lot of sh1t and pretends to be intelligent by using pseudo scientific word salad for a distraction.

Look I'm sure you're a sound fella and all, but this is serious to a lot of people.

Sleeping it off might be good for you :)

You never heard of the virus in Wuhan before last week or what they were trying to surpress in Italy. Sonny, you would be better off reading the news than listening to the football results. BTW the stock market is collapsing and there is someone propping it up every 4th day. We are going to have a global meltdown by the end of the month, 30% will go off the value of your home and many blue chips are insolvent,just in case nobody warned you!

Sonny? Lol...

How fooking dare you, save your lecture, well done if you predicted this, good for you, because last weekend it was business as usual in Ireland for most, pubs packed, restaurants packed, people going on holiday, so your one of the few.

You sound like blind boy boatclub after a sesh...

He's another langer, spouts a lot of sh1t and pretends to be intelligent by using pseudo scientific word salad for a distraction.

Look I'm sure you're a sound fella and all, but this is serious to a lot of people.

Sleeping it off might be good for you :)

You have just arrived on the thread. I have been berating motivator for the last 40 minutes. Also I am not drinking. try reading the whole thread. I have 6 relatives over 80 and one vulnerable sister.

Sonny? Lol...

How fooking dare you, save your lecture, well done if you predicted this, good for you, because last weekend it was business as usual in Ireland for most, pubs packed, restaurants packed, people going on holiday, so your one of the few.

Two weeks ago I was out shopping for this event. 12 months ago I was within three weeks of predicting this financial collapse. check out my other posts on boards. If you were asleep at the wheel that is your responsibility but dont drag me down with you.

Two weeks ago I was out shopping for this event. 12 months ago I was within three weeks of predicting this financial collapse. check out my other posts on boards. If you were asleep at the wheel that is your responsibility but dont drag me down with you.

Pat on the back for you mate, I never claimed to be an economical expert, you must be expecting the walking dead if you think I've been asleep at the wheel, because a lot of people have been snoozing if that's the case.

Hope you survive this pandemic up on your high horse.

I'll get back to the football results.

Kind regards,

Sonny

this is serious to a lot of people
    But that's their exact point so why are you talking to them as if they're arguing the opposite? They are purely talking about the seriousness of the situation and they are criticising risk takers. What makes them a langer and what's Blindboy about it? This is real - not something dreamed up to be offended by.

I don't agree with insulting people though, including Motivator, who is now self isolating.

But it was clearly a big deal before Thursday to be fair.

You have just arrived on the thread. I have been berating motivator for the last 40 minutes. Also I am not drinking. try reading the whole thread. I have 6 relatives over 80 and one vulnerable sister.

Im trying to distance myself from these corona virus threads, sorry if I undermined you.
    Im going to try to give boards a break for a few days.
    My lack of concentration late in the evening.
    I hope your relatives and sister will be ok.

• Advertisement

Pat on the back for you mate, I never claimed to be an economical expert, you must be expecting the walking dead if you think I've been asleep at the wheel, because a lot of people have been snoozing if that's the case.

Hope you survive this pandemic up on your high horse.

I'll get back to the football results.

Kind regards,

Sonny
    "On your high horse" is another phrase used to discredit, as if they're angered by something trivial.

Some of ye need to wake the eff up.

It isn't very serious here yet but it's early days, and we might not reach the scale Italy and Spain are experiencing, but only IF we take it extremely seriously.

Advertisement