Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were in Templebar last night..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Myself and my wife have spent all our liquid cash on supplies. We knew this was coming. We warned our friends some who took heed. We warned our relatives who said it might never happen. As for the financial cash that is held for reserves for when the stock market bottoms out and we can "live a little". I have spent the last year trying to teach people to be "wolves" and not "sheep".

This is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think some of the comments here are over the top and only going to get people digging their heels in even more.

I did find it funny though that Motivator went to Cheltenham with four friends and none of them have seen anyone since their return, even though three of them, including Motivator himself have since been revealed to be married.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Very noisy bars and clubs would be the worst. People spend all night shouting in each others ear and spraying each other with saliva.
    Might as well just inject yourself with the virus before you head out and be done with it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I didn't mean you MOR.

There's just a cohort of people who always have to show how cool and edgy they are. As if they're 13 years of age. They can't let it go even during a crisis like this.

I don't agree with throwing abuse either - no point. And what's done is done. Hopefully those who took risks are being vigilant now.

But even if people are getting angry and abusive, the suggestion that they're getting their knickers in a twist to be seen to take the moral high ground, is just obnoxiously disingenuous.

I don't get the attitude of "I'm under 60 so I'll be fine" - do they not have parents/grandparents?

And if you're under 60 and have: cystic fibrosis, diabetes (the immune system is compromised), bad asthma, are undergoing chemotherapy... you could be utterly goosed. Not to mind people aged over 60 with an above condition.

Also, imagine being pregnant/giving birth in the situation.

What the **** is wrong with all those agreeing that it's just "taking the moral high ground for the sake of it"?

No, I don't agree with the argument of "moral high ground" at all.

From what I see in my circle on social media, it comes across as narcisstic like though. I know these people and they have done some of the ****test things imaginable, mentally, to people so I know it's just them looking for approval. People are losing their minds over the local cinema being open, writing such angry toned remarks to them...Why? They still have to make a living. The Government has never said anything about closing them, it's up to us as you say, to be more vigilant and mindful. Until they're told to do so, they're doing nothing wrong by being open.

My work situation is that I'm pissed because I have nothing to do but, I'm still expected to come in, where I keep hearing people cough this morning and last week.
    At the moment, I've had a tickle in my throat the last week and it makes me clear my throat sometimes and makes me cough. That's fine, I know it's not the virus but, I've had lung issues since I was a kid and was a smoker in my 20s and I'm around people with diabetes so it makes me a bit concerned I'm even here.

I don't think people are trying to be edgy, it's almost like restoring the balance somewhat. It's human nature (tune) in every situation in life.
    We see what we perceive to be people reacting in one extreme so to counter it, we will naturally react in the other extreme.

The reaction to "I'm under 60 so I'll be fine" is not a reaction of someone who is unloving or unkind or selfish or even someone who is uneducated about it. In my view, I believe it's from people who just don't believe it'll happen to them.
    It's a sense of ignorance. Rightly, we need to be ignorant for most of our lives as, if we stopped to think about the fact we're little specs of dust, on a giant rock, ciriculating around a ball of fire, in an everlasting space, we'd go mental! Wrongly though, I believe it just feeds in from that I guess.

Saturday evening, I went for 4 pints in a bar. Inside the bar, there was a total of 5 people. I sat outside away from everyone until my brother joined me for a drink. I do that every Saturday. It's "my thing"
    I then joined my friend in another bar, where there was I'd say 12-15 people. The bar closed it's doors at 9pm to everyone else. No one was allowed in. I sat with my friend, who has been working from home the last 8 days, due to company policy. No one else.
    Yet, people that I know are comparing that to Temple Bar and are basically picturing me partying my arse off, with a massive group of people, in a packed pub, spreading the virus around like it's a pagan ritual
    That is hysterical and over the top tbf :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Ironicname wrote: »
    Of course not. Most of us are however taking every precaution available to us and are not intentionally doing things that are unnecessary and selfish.

Admin Snip: Off to the Conspiracy Theories forum this this sh*te, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Alot of one rule for one group and another rule for another group in this discussion.

I have had 2 weekends I was planning on going away for pretty much cancelled. Unless something spectacular happens in the next 2-3 weeks then that's that for me.

No one is taking the moral highground it's just some of you can't seem to discern between reality and fiction. It's not something happening half way across the world anymore it is on your doorstep and very real.

Stop getting all butthurt because someone has called you out on your nonsense...."there were 5 people in my pub"...Yeah there was and I wonder why.

People are maybe overreacting on here to those who are going out still, but it's these same kinda people who go out swimming in a red weather warning or the "its Graaaand" brigade. There's an inherent arrogance that they know better than the experts and when said thing they were warned against happens it's the common sense inclined people who bail them out.

You deserve all the telling offs and vitrol coming your way if you act this way. Please grow up swallow this weird you can't tell me what to do attitude, get the f**k over yourselves and stay indoors unless absolutely necessary to head out or at least making a journey with minimal human interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Strong believer in life must go on.

You stay locked up for good see if I care.

Anyway many folk think this thing is something different.

Dr Thomas Cowan certainly thinks it's something else.

Funny when Dr's warn of us of this stuff it's poo pooed but when a government people know lie to them on a daily basis about virtually everything and a virus comes along everyone trusts them with their life's. So absurd.

For a crooked state you can't buy that kind of mindless obedience and loyalty. Kim Jong must be jealous his citizens aren't as slavishly loyal as the Irish!.

I don't mind people being stupid. Some people can't help it. But dangerous idiots are a different story.

Your post above is well into the second category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Serious pandemic so I'm sure you are in full hazard suit locked up at home unwilling to come into contact with anyone in fear of infecting them eh?.

Of course not.

See this is the hypocrisy I speak of!.

It's been declared a pandemic by the World Health Organisation.
    And yes, I'm staying with my mother who has cancer and, like a lot of family members in that situation I'm avoiding contact with people as much as possible in case I bring it into the house, washing my hands the minute I get inside the door, keeping my steering wheel, car key and phone disinfected and working from home.

Because some of us are living with the serious realities of this, much of it caused by attitudes like yours so jeer and sneer all you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Admin: Conspiracy whackjob post removed.

This guy had his licence revoked in California but is allowed to work under probation. He charges $350 for a phone consultation.

It's been declared a pandemic by the World Health Organisation.
    And yes, I'm staying with my mother who has cancer and, like a lot of family members in that situation I'm avoiding contact with people as much as possible in case I bring it into the house, washing my hands the minute I get inside the door, keeping my steering wheel, car key and phone disinfected and working from home.

Because some of us are living with the serious realities of this, much of it caused by attitudes like yours so jeer and sneer all you like.

Good for you.

I'm not sneering and jeering.

Simply saying the very intense fear mongering is unwarranted.

You must understand people have different attitudes and this idea of isolation to me personally is absurd. Unless you wish to live in a bubble you will be in contact with others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

You must understand people have different attitudes and this idea of isolation to me personally is absurd. Unless you wish to live in a bubble you will be in contact with others.
    "I'm all right Jack".
    Is 368 dead in 24 hours not enough for you to recognise extreme measures need to be taken? Nobody thinks we can completely self isolate, but we absolutely can minimise close contact, to stem the spread.

is_that_so wrote: »
    This guy had his licence revoked in California but is allowed to work under probation. He charges $350 for a phone consultation.

Imagine a Doctor charging for his services.

Have you notified the Gardai?.

This idea that someone must do something for nothing or little to nothing to be credible is laughably stupid.

People charge for services and knowledge. It's part of life.

Do you work for free is it?. Another word for that. Slavery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

It's unfortunate that because you can't seem to grasp the reality of the need for isolation or at least avoiding everybody you possibly can, you are putting the people we love in danger.

Your attitude is selfish, your actions are dangerous and your lack of social and personal responsibility is disgusting.

"I'm all right Jack".
    Is 368 dead in 24 hours not enough for you to recognise extreme measures need to be taken? Nobody thinks we can completely self isolate, but we absolutely can minimise close contact, to stem the spread.

It's easy for those of you who don't work to say this. Some of us in work have to be in close contact with people. It's part of life.

Good for you.

I'm not sneering and jeering.

No I don't understand. It's not about different attitudes, it's about following official advice given in the interest of the common good.

Idiots deciding that they don't agree with this and going to crowded pubs or having covid parties etc are gambling with vulnerable people's lives.

No one's asking them to live in a bubble or isolate themselves, just show a bit of cop on and consideration.

It's easy for those of you who don't work to say this. Some of us in work have to be in close contact with people. It's part of life.
    I'm at work. :confused:

Lots are working from home but some of us have to be here. We are sitting far apart and repeatedly washing our hands and using hand gel and wipes. We are then isolating as much as possible outside of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Admin: Conspiracy whackjob post removed.

Boards needs to temporarily allow posters to describe other posters as dangerous, dribbling fúckwits. I understand that it's great to have diverse opinions and while having a laugh at the Gemmaroids can be cathartic, that type of fúckwittery should be stigmatised during a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

What was open? Were all the restaurants/bar not shut?

I drove up Camden St around 10pm and all bar Eddie Rockets and Wow Burger was closed.

UK still going ahead with concerts last night anyway as I see photos being posted of the James Arthur gig at the Manchester Arena.

Horse Racing still on over there too, although could be closed to spectators as Navan was on Sunday.

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Alot of one rule for one group and another rule for another group in this discussion.

I have had 2 weekends I was planning on going away for pretty much cancelled. Unless something spectacular happens in the next 2-3 weeks then that's that for me.

No one is taking the moral highground it's just some of you can't seem to discern between reality and fiction. It's not something happening half way across the world anymore it is on your doorstep and very real.

Stop getting all butthurt because someone has called you out on your nonsense...."there were 5 people in my pub"...Yeah there was and I wonder why.

People are maybe overreacting on here to those who are going out still, but it's these same kinda people who go out swimming in a red weather warning or the "its Graaaand" brigade. There's an inherent arrogance that they know better than the experts and when said thing they were warned against happens it's the common sense inclined people who bail them out.

You deserve all the telling offs and vitrol coming your way if you act this way. Please grow up swallow this weird you can't tell me what to do attitude, get the f**k over yourselves and stay indoors unless absolutely necessary to head out or at least making a journey with minimal human interaction.

But, it's OK for me to go to work in a building of over 100 people, with people coughing, whilst commuting on a packed bus? Shall I stop getting butthurt over that?
    Comparing going for a drink in a place that is empty to swimming in a storm ffs

Watch your tone!

Ironicname wrote: »
    It's unfortunate that because you can't seem to grasp the reality of the need for isolation or at least avoiding everybody you possibly can, you are putting the people we love in danger.

Your attitude is selfish, your actions are dangerous and your lack of social and personal responsibility is disgusting.

Load of virtue signalling holier than thou drivel.

You're exactly the type of person I mentioned when I said this site is full of mindless hypocrites.

A) You haven't a clue of my actions- Not a jot.

B) You haven't a clue of my social responsibility- not a jot.

You just post a load of drivel thinking you know someone when you haven't a clue of them. Nothing. age/location/demographic/sex anything.
    This is incredibly ignorant and showing incredible ignorance.

I agree with you I am selfish but equally I think everyone is; difference between you and me is least I can be honest about it.

Again though people forget some of us here have to work.

• Advertisement

Mod Snip: Conspiracy whackjob post.

Boards needs to temporarily allow posters to describe other posters as dangerous, dribbling fúckwits. I understand that it's great to have diverse opinions and while having a laugh at the Gemmaroids can be cathartic, that type of fúckwittery should be stigmatised during a pandemic.
    Definitely. Bit of personal abuse is a small price to pay to spotlight the danger of that festering manure.

Another one now - heightened concern over this obvious serious crisis is "virtue signalling". Any opportunity to use their meaningless buzzwords, no matter how inappropriate.

Another one now - heightened concern over this obvious serious crisis is "virtue signalling". Any opportunity to use their meaningless buzzwords, no matter how inappropriate.

Where do you draw the line though?

Me and you are in work. I'm annoyed about it, you are alright with it seemingly (maybe you're not, just going by your post above) ]
    But, some guy up above is after calling me out for going for a drink, in a place where there was 5 people and I was an entire floor above them but seemingly thinks it's OK for me to work in a building with over 100 people and loads coughing :confused:

I am seriously lost on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

This thread is like an echo chamber... really. I'm sure everybody in here is just perfect in every aspect of life... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Load of virtue signalling holier than thou drivel.

You're exactly the type of person I mentioned when I said this site is full of mindless hypocrites.

A) You haven't a clue of my actions- Not a jot.

B) You haven't a clue of my social responsibility- not a jot.

You just post a load of drivel thinking you know someone when you haven't a clue of them. Nothing. age/location/demographic/sex anything.
    This is incredibly ignorant and showing incredible ignorance.

I agree with you I am selfish but equally I think everyone is; difference between you and me is least I can be honest about it.

Again though people forget some of us here have to work.

No actually , not everyone is being selfish about this. A small but significant minority of people are behaving like cretins, belittling official advice, refusing to take requested precautions and putting people who are in vulnerable categories in very real danger.

I wonder how some of these self centred bellends will feel if an elderly or ill family member, neighbour, relative or contact becomes seriously ill or even dies because of their behaviour. Will they still be swaggering around being too cool for school.
    Or will they finally face reality and be ashamed of their cavalier behaviour towards weaker members of society?

This thread is like an echo chamber... really. I'm sure everybody in here is just perfect in every aspect of life... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    This kinda thing I just do not get.

It's not at all like an echo chamber btw - naysayers may be a minority but still plenty of them.

Who even implied that they're perfect in every way?

Is taking risks, which could help spread this potentially deadly virus, merely being imperfect?

This isn't about opinion or differing perspectives - it's a serious concern and the obtuseness of some is bizarre.

This kinda thing I just do not get.

It's not at all like an echo chamber btw - naysayers may be a minority but still plenty of them.

Who even implied that they're perfect in every way?

Is taking risks, which could help spread this potentially deadly virus, merely being imperfect?

This isn't about opinion or differing perspectives - it's a serious concern and the obtuseness of some is bizarre.

Again though, you're in work. You're surrounded by strangers. As am I. That is a risk in itself

MOR316 wrote: »
    Again though, you're in work. You're surrounded by strangers. As am I. That is a risk in itself

I'm not sure what kind of work you do but maybe it's an essential risk which is totally different to people just stupidly and stubbornly resisting official advice.

Government advice is for people who can work from home to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shuhada Davitt

Tork wrote: »
    A lot of them sounded like they were English so they're unlikely to be reading boards. Probably too hungover still, anyway

to be fair, they dont seem to care (the brits) i was flying back to ireland the other day and there was english people in front of me, and she put her chair right back , practically into my lap... it's rude at the best of times, but this took the biscuit.
    not a bother on her even when i started pretend coughing so she'd lift the chair.

of course i slowly put her back into upright position using the knees.

you only have to look at the brits policies on all of this to realise that they dont give a damn at all

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what kind of work you do but maybe it's an essential risk which is totally different to people just stupidly and stubbornly resisting official advice.

Government advice is for people who can work from home to do so.

Nah, it's just an office admin job.

So if you're saying follow advice, that was the Government's and HSE's advice too about social interaction. Less than 100 indoors.

The Temple Bar thing was a disgrace though. Absolute idiocy and no way am I advocating that nor would I have even participated in something remotely like that.

Playing devil's advocate I guess

Advertisement