Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus Clare

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭dmc17

Balagan1 wrote: »
    I have cause to pass by a virus testing centre in Ennis regularly which was supposed to be in action from 8am to 8pm and unless they have changed to dropping people down from silent airplanes under cover of darkness, there is little or no testing going on there. Thought the reagent had become available again about a week ago and testing was to be increasing??????? Anyone know?

Maybe no demand for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The Little Fox bistro in Ennistymon is to close permanently :(

http://www.clare.fm/news/coronavirus/closure-popular-ennistymon-restaurant-announced/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭jackboy

fryup wrote: »
    The Little Fox bistro in Ennistymon is to close permanently :(

http://www.clare.fm/news/coronavirus/closure-popular-ennistymon-restaurant-announced/

Pity. It was top class. Hopefully the owners will try something similar again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Balagan1

Death notice on rip.ie for Ennis man informed people that they could pay their respects as cortege passed a named road in Ennis this afternoon. Came in their droves, which shows respect for the man who has passed away, but turning surrounding estates into car parks in an area largely populated by older people, was very questionable. Hundreds of people, more or less social distancing (ish), filled the area surprising the hell out of people, some cocooning until last week, out for a quiet walk in the afternoon. Police car led the hearse as is usual but otherwise no steps taken. Crowd gathered in place three quarters of an hour plus. The practice, during this Covid 19 time, of neighbours standing as hearse goes by is touching and necessary, but this was an announced full-scale gathering in a built-up area of people who mostly came from outside the neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

What are yer feeling on the Cliffs opening on Monday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Maestro85 wrote: »
    What are yer feeling on the Cliffs opening on Monday?

I have no problem with it anyway. It's a big open space - and people are not forced to go there.

If you're high risk or you're worried about getting a disease then stay at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Deagol wrote: »
    If you're high risk or you're worried about getting a disease then stay at home.

The problem is that people go there, get the disease and bring it back to where I am.

The problem is that people go there, get the disease and bring it back to where I am.

How do they get a disease from visiting cliffs? And how do you get it from them?

How do they get a disease from visiting cliffs? And how do you get it from them?

Being in contact with people or objects carrying the disease in the vicinity of the cliffs. I get it from them by being in contacts with objects or people they infect when the get back.

Being in contact with people or objects carrying the disease in the vicinity of the cliffs. I get it from them by being in contacts with objects or people they infect when the get back.

So you haven't been in a shop or got grocerys for the last X weeks then? Or is there some magical shield in shops etc that protect people? Genuinely, don't get how you correlate people being out for walk is a risk.

People going for a walk at the cliffs will still be socially isolating so I'm not sure how this disease transmission happens? What objects would people be communally touching at the cliffs??

And the 5km rule is still in existence so it's same people you would be in contact with in various ways anyway - so I don't see how it's any extra risk etc.

• Advertisement

So you haven't been in a shop or got grocerys for the last X weeks then?

I have and I hope only got things from people who had not left the area. the more people travel around the greater the chance someone will become infected and spread it.

I have and I hope only got things from people who had not left the area. the more people travel around the greater the chance someone will become infected and spread it.

5km rule is still in existence so same people you are meeting in shops (with far far greater likelihood of touching something they have etc) will be walking around the cliffs.

I think you haven't thought this through...

5km rule is still in existence so same people you are meeting in shops (with far far greater likelihood of touching something they have etc) will be walking around the cliffs.

I think you haven't thought this through...

How many people live within 5km of the Cliffs of Moher? Once it is open people from all over will be sneaking in there.

How many people live within 5km of the Cliffs of Moher? Once it is open people from all over will be sneaking in there.

So now you have altered the discussion premise to include people breaking the rules. Ok - so what about the people 'sneaking' to the shops you also frequent? How does that not count yet cliff walking does? You think that people 'sneaking' to the cliffs in breach of the 5km rule will hesitate to use local services like your local shops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Well, who in that 5k would actually pay to go there? Likely none.

Therefore anyone who goes there would almost definitely be coming from further than 5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭jackboy

I think worrying about the cliffs is a bit pointless. Although there is high unemployment there are loads of people still working. Lots of these are travelling long distances to work in places with others from all over. These people then go to the local shops.

The risks of opening the cliffs are tiny compared to what has been happening since the restrictions began.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

jackboy wrote: »
    I think worrying about the cliffs is a bit pointless. Although there is high unemployment there are loads of people still working. Lots of these are travelling long distances to work in places with others from all over. These people then go to the local shops.

The risks of opening the cliffs are tiny compared to what has been happening since the restrictions began.

Exactly. I travel 25km from Limerick to Shannon every day and mix with people from all over Clare and as far away as West Galway, who've all been mixing with people in their local shops. We never closed so I've been doing this all through the lockdown.

People need to seriously relax and not be so paranoid. Although it's not surprising some are when some of the government messaging has been verging on scaremongering rather than factual.

Exactly. I travel 25km from Limerick to Shannon every day and mix with people from all over Clare and as far away as West Galway, who've all been mixing with people in their local shops. We never closed so I've been doing this all through the lockdown.

People need to seriously relax and not be so paranoid. Although it's not surprising some are when some of the government messaging has been verging on scaremongering rather than factual.

It doesn't help that people react on instinct so much instead of thinking things through. It's amazing to me just how reactive the vast majority of people have been shown to be by this crisis. Very little logic applied when thinking about risk / likelihood etc. Despite the huge amount of good information available to make informed decisions etc, I get a constant stream of people telling me the latest 'news' they found on facebook or similar.

One person I know is in a high risk group so I offered to go to the shop for them and drop the stuff outside the door. I even had some antiseptic spray as an added reassurance. But - they insisted I couldn't come anywhere near their house in case I gave them a disease, it was against the rules etc... they went to the shops themselves....

It doesn't help that people react on instinct so much instead of thinking things through. It's amazing to me just how reactive the vast majority of people have been shown to be by this crisis. Very little logic applied when thinking about risk / likelihood etc. Despite the huge amount of good information available to make informed decisions etc, I get a constant stream of people telling me the latest 'news' they found on facebook or similar.

One person I know is in a high risk group so I offered to go to the shop for them and drop the stuff outside the door. I even had some antiseptic spray as an added reassurance. But - they insisted I couldn't come anywhere near their house in case I gave them a disease, it was against the rules etc... they went to the shops themselves....

The facebook/twitter thing is just the closest replacement for the ould gossip which has been cut off by this infernal pandemic! People, especially older folk, can be iffy about accepting help and also worry about how they would pay for it, whether to give you money before or after you do their shopping and then the close contact that would entail. They get a great feeling of connection from the visit to the shop so it's a toss up between physical safety and mental health.

Not sure if this thread is too old to post on but, for what it's worth noticed today that secondary students to the south of the town of Ennis are, in the case of one chippy and one shop that I saw, in long lunchtime queues outside, no masks, no social distancing. Have no idea if masks are being produced or insisted upon when they go in, but outside, it's like nothing at all is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Not sure if this thread is too old to post on but, for what it's worth noticed today that secondary students to the south of the town of Ennis are, in the case of one chippy and one shop that I saw, in long lunchtime queues outside, no masks, no social distancing. Have no idea if masks are being produced or insisted upon when they go in, but outside, it's like nothing at all is happening.

Same with a school I saw earlier in that they were outside doing something or other to two trees, one teacher and all the kids scrambling over each other doing whatever they were doing.

Then you've a school where the school was closed, no need to name it, because the teachers were close contacts of someone who had the virus. Nobody in the school had it, nobody had been tested but they closed the school out of precaution.

The HSE said testing amongst school going children is way up so frankly you test more you find more so cases in Clare, and beyond, will surely rise.

Michael McNamara, Chairman of the Special Committe on Covid 19 Response getting his rear end handed to him on a plate this evening after his little foray into proposing herd immunity on Morning Ireland today and another pile of waffle coming out of him on Clare FM later in the morning.

"Dr Ronan Glynn said that allowing a controlled spread of the coronavirus among people aged under 60 is "certainly not a strategy that we'll be adopting in this country". https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0923/1167095-10-things-weve-learned/

Professor Nolan also said that said that “even if it were ethically” appropriate to suggest that more at-risk groups from Covid-19, such as older people, isolate themselves from the rest of the community while such a strategy was being pursued, there’s no guarantee they wouldn’t get the disease.

“I could certainly never advise we take the kind of risks explicit in adopting this kind of strategy that allows this disease to travel through young people with some, in my view, vain hope of protecting older people,” he said. “And also in the unproven hope it will render the population immune for future infection.”

'We've been going for 188 years, we've been through it all': Pubs promise to prioritise safety on the big reopening day
    HSE chief clinical officer Dr Colm Henry said the evidence is not justified in people having a sustained immunity after they’ve caught this virus. Specifically referencing safeguards on nursing homes, even the strongest defences wouldn’t protect residents there if the virus was allowed to spread rampantly in the community, he said.

Dr Henry said that isolating older people and letting them “fend for themselves” is “simply not acceptable and has no place in any civilised society”
    https://www.thejournal.ie/herd-immunity-nphet-5213262-Sep2020/

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I deleted a post which links to a facebook or twitter account, where people can anonymously post information about alleged school closings. If it's not in the press, it's not going here. No place for rumours and scaremongering.

MarkR wrote: »
    I deleted a post which links to a facebook or twitter account, where people can anonymously post information about alleged school closings. If it's not in the press, it's not going here. No place for rumours and scaremongering.

I posted the links to the only two sites telling the truth about the cases of Covid in schools in the country. Over 90 thousand people are members of the facebook account. The cases are documented and are as far as can be from being rumours or scaremongering. Why take down the links? Why not let people make up their own minds about (a) whether they want to follow the links and (b) whether they find them trustworthy? Information about these sites is freely available on other boards.ie sites. Why is this one any different?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Because it may not be the truth. If it's not published, then it's rumour.

Even the description of the page points that out.

Guys as we all know we're probably not going to be told about cases arising in local schools, so as mammys dad's if we hear anything maybe this group can be made aware, anonymously or on the page so we can try protect our little ones as much as possible

Please don't post links like that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭black & white

2 coach loads of what seemed to be 6th years from Tipperary arrived in Lahinch this afternoon, would have thought travel like that would be postponed.

2 coach loads of what seemed to be 6th years from Tipperary arrived in Lahinch this afternoon, would have thought travel like that would be postponed.

It seems you need to contact journalists in The Clare Echo, The Clare Champion, Clare FM or the national press, radio and tv, and if any or all of them publish or broadcast that this happened then we will be free to discuss it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I lose another little bit of faith in humanity everytime I come across Facebook groups like the one referenced in the deleted post.

All the international and local science points to schools not being the source of outbreaks or exacerbating them. Any school that has a case send the close contacts home and sends a letter to every other household in the school.

No one is hiding anything.

And then you have 90,000 idiots with nothing better to do than look for the 'truth'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It seems you need to contact journalists in The Clare Echo, The Clare Champion, Clare FM or the national press, radio and tv, and if any or all of them publish or broadcast that this happened then we will be free to discuss it here.

Snide remarks at mod actions normally result in cards/bans so take this as your last warning. If you want to discuss stuff that happens feel free to do so within the rules, linking to facebook pages for rumour spreading private groups, well that's not normally considered a discussion.

Advertisement