Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

well the army be rolled out soon

Options
  • 15-03-2020 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭

If the country goes in full lockdown, do you think the army out

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

So the rumours are saying..

Think they would be needed to support - control access to hospitals, extra check points, ticketing systems into supermarkets etc. When, who knows.. hopefully this week.

I hope they seal off the bridge in waterford to keep the south kk immigrants out

Coming into tewn,taking our jobs and wimmin,amd spreading disease

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

kenmm wrote: »

Think they would be needed to support - control access to hospitals, extra check points, ticketing systems into supermarkets etc. When, who knows.. hopefully this week.

Not a hope. Not enough troops in the country. Loads of vital installations need protecting first. Army stretched very thin as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Check points for what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I hope they seal off the bridge in waterford to keep the south kk immigrants out

Coming into tewn,taking our jobs and wimmin,amd spreading disease

Its always south something that causes the problem isn't it ? , South Carolina, South Sudan .

• Advertisement

Check points for what ?

Oh I dunno - making sure randomers arent trying to use JCBs to extract ATMs for example or chancers aren't doing the typical Irish F-U to any authority to hold a curfew?

You know - the usual sh!t selfish pricks do when there is an emergency in Ireland.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Not a hope. Not enough troops in the country. Loads of vital installations need protecting first. Army stretched very thin as it is

Ye - I dunno exactly WHAT for, I am neither part of the army or ever had to do any national or international disaster planning. But "protecting institutions" would be another thing I would say they are used for, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

cena wrote: »

I got a message earlier to say there will be an announcement at 11am tomorrow to say a full lockdown will start on Tuesday.

It also said the army will be used to make sure there are no gatherings in public of more than 100 people. It specifically mentioned that the army will be supervising supermarkets to control numbers inside and outside.

It's hard to know what's ahead of us really between scaremongering and not knowing what the government know but are not telling us.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

don't know, well it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

https://m.facebook.com/DefenceForces/

Scroll down.

You'll see the latest statement and also info on the cadets tracing contacts etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The army is out, you just tend not to see them too much....

They mind the mint, some at dail, rte and some other major spots....

Portloaise prison also of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Avoid rumours, "I heard", "pretty certain that" and all badly written social media posts and texts (I fell for the ibuprofen text today and I can't take paracetamol - the bullsh1t is potentially dangerous).

We don't know until it's officially announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I got a message earlier to say there will be an announcement at 11am tomorrow to say a full lockdown will start on Tuesday.

It also said the army will be used to make sure there are no gatherings in public of more than 100 people. It specifically mentioned that the army will be supervising supermarkets to control numbers inside and outside.

It's hard to know what's ahead of us really between scaremongering and not knowing what the government know but are not telling us.

Utter nonsense. Typical WhatsApp "i heard from someone else" waffle. Do you think there are enough of the army for every supermarket in the country?

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1239262361816649734?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Its always south something that causes the problem isn't it ? , South Carolina, South Sudan .

Southfork.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nope.
    We have a very small army for a start.

There might be further shut downs...restaurants, shops (bar supermarkets and chemists) that's about all I can see happening this week tbh

The message going around looks like utter rubbish like the vast majority of the rest of them.

Yeah that ones doing the rounds. Now if the government is not telling us things, how do the starters of those chains know? It's irresponsible of them. Last week there was also talk of army deployment, which was false.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭thomil

There's actually a pretty good article describing the potential deployment of the Defence Forces:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/defence-forces-to-shift-to-status-yellow-with-330-troops-aiding-hse-1.4202609

Given that the source of the information is Vice Admiral Mellett, the Chief of Staff of the Defence Forces, I'd say that's a pretty reliable bit of information.

Bringing the entire army onto a full "war" footing according to some of the rumours would in all likelihood take quite some time. I doubt we'll see soldiers on the streets in any large numbers. That's not to say I wouldn't approve of it, some of the blokes in Temple Bar could have well used looking down the Barrel of a Steyr AUG to bring them to their senses, but there's a whole lot of logistics involved.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Avoid rumours, "I heard", "pretty certain that" and all badly written social media posts and texts (I fell for the ibuprofen text today and I can't take paracetamol - the bullsh1t is potentially dangerous).

We don't know until it's officially announced.

Is the ibuprofen advice from France not true???

They will probably be used to do what they are doing in UK right now - getting community centres and the like ready, extra beds, some infrastructure stuff. Its all a guess. The best thing to do right now - everyone minimise travel and contact, and keep clean. Yes its a pain, but every visit you don't take to the local cafe (if open) or pub is contributing directly to saving lives in the future by slowing down the spread.

It's that simple.

The army is out, you just tend not to see them too much....

They mind the mint, some at dail, rte and some other major spots....

Portloaise prison also of course.

I was up in Dublin Castle recently to visit the Cheaster Beatty museum and there was preparations going on for 90 odd soldiers to be promoted to officers the following day.

I was very pleasantly surprised to see the brand new fleet of buses the army has, there was well over a couple of million quids worth of new buses there. The lads themselves were milling around the place as we were walking through and they are a very impressive looking bunch of professionals.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

Mav11 wrote: »
    Is the ibuprofen advice from France not true???
    The text going around today was that it'll cause you to become one of the critical patients. The advice from France is that it has the potential to aggravate the virus.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Yeah that ones doing the rounds. Now if the government is not telling us things, how do the starters of those chains know? It's irresponsible of them. Last week there was also talk of army deployment, which was false.

Last week I was told schools would be closing on the Friday and the government and all other sources were in complete denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

thomil wrote: »
    There's actually a pretty good article describing the potential deployment of the Defence Forces:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/defence-forces-to-shift-to-status-yellow-with-330-troops-aiding-hse-1.4202609

Given that the source of the information is Vice Admiral Mellett, the Chief of Staff of the Defence Forces, I'd say that's a pretty reliable bit of information.

Bringing the entire army onto a full "war" footing according to some of the rumours would in all likelihood take quite some time. I doubt we'll see soldiers on the streets in any large numbers. That's not to say I wouldn't approve of it, some of the blokes in Temple Bar could have well used looking down the Barrel of a Steyr AUG to bring them to their senses, but there's a whole lot of logistics involved.

Are you serious. You are happy to have citizens of a country threatened by the army of the state.
    Whatever about people hoarding toilet roll but you have lost your mind.

Last week I was told schools would be closing on the Friday and the government and all other sources were in complete denial.

But you were probably also told that they would close on Thursday, closed next week and not closed at all right?

Its fairly obvious that there is something going to happen tomorrow

Look about every country in europe is announcing all sorts of things....people demanding evidence of it,or dismissing it outright are argeuing,just for sake of it

Whats happening/being announced tomorrow,fcuk knows though

yesto24 wrote: »
    Are you serious. You are happy to have citizens of a country threatened by the army of the state.
    Whatever about people hoarding toilet roll but you have lost your mind.

I'm happy to have the Army on patrol in an emergency situation, yes. Happier than mass celebrations in pubs, everyone drinking themselves sick, greedy cafe owners adding tables at a time when isolation is needed, people spreading misinformation and lies (for example).

Utter nonsense. Typical WhatsApp "i heard from someone else" waffle. Do you think there are enough of the army for every supermarket in the country?

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1239262361816649734?s=19

I honestly have no idea how many soldiers or supermarkets we have.

Do you?

But you were probably also told that they would close on Thursday, closed next week and not closed at all right?

Nope, check my post history here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Not a hope in hell, our army is far too small and underequipped to have any influence.

Talk sense and stop believing WhatsApp/Indo bull.

• Advertisement

Nope, check my post history here.

Not sure who you are or what you have been told or who by tbh - and I dont really want to go searching through posts. But fair enough if you know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement