Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

well the army be rolled out soon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭thomil

yesto24 wrote: »
    Are you serious. You are happy to have citizens of a country threatened by the army of the state.
    Whatever about people hoarding toilet roll but you have lost your mind.

Nope, I'm quite sober, and I'm in full possession of my mental faculties, thank you very much for asking.

These people in Temple Bar or other pubs last night deliberately flaunted the measures put in place to curb, or at least reduce the spread of COVID-19. They have proven to be immature, childish and reckless, and are a threat to the many vulnerable people in this country to whom the virus is a real danger. They've proven that they don't listen to reason, and don't care about others, so any repeat should be broken up in the sternest possible manner.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

The Defence Forces will be assisting the HSE/AGS in order to help the citizens of Ireland in whatever way decided by the civil authorities.

We will not be pointing weapons at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd say the extra cars will be used for this purpose there will most likely be Garda and army together as to not cause panic as such and have people spreading rubbish of marshal law etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The Defence Forces will be assisting the HSE/AGS in order to help the citizens of Ireland in whatever way decided by the civil authorities.

Pretty much what I was told, also it was mentioned the fire service will possibly be used as extra ambulance service if needed.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I was in a dusk to dawn curfew abroad years ago. No lights allowed. The army patrolled in the dark. They called to my house as there was a tiny amount of light showing.
    CCTV here would show if anyone is out and about. Traffic management can view all the junctions. A few roadblocks would slow movement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I honestly have no idea how many soldiers or supermarkets we have.

Do you?

There is circa 8750 in the defence forces with nearly 600 of that figure on overseas missions leaving just over 8k in Ireland. SuperValu alone has circa 230 stores in the country. Despite the assholes and bull**** merchants on FB and other social media platforms the army will not be patrolling your local supermarket or even your local streets.
    The army's function in the time of emergency is aid to the civil power not to be pointing weapons in the face of someone trying to buy a can of beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Last week I was told schools would be closing on the Friday and the government and all other sources were in complete denial.
    I'm not having a go at you btw - just people spreading misinformation.

There is nothing amiss with the schools announcement though. Schools closure is a drastic measure that is preferably avoided.

There would have been long deliberations and uncertainty. Risk analysis etc. Until it was actually decided for certain and officially signed off that the schools were closing, the schools weren't closing.

That's the standard with well operated mass communications. Nothing's happening until it's official.

kenmm wrote: »
    Not sure who you are or what you have been told or who by tbh - and I dont really want to go searching through posts. But fair enough if you know.

I don't know, I'm just telling you what I was told.

It's a unique situation we are in and its changing at a rapid pace so nothing would surprise me.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I hope they seal off the bridge in waterford to keep the south kk immigrants out

Coming into tewn,taking our jobs and wimmin,amd spreading disease

Showing off their medals... Make u feckin sick dey wud .

There is circa 8750 in the defence forces with nearly 600 of that figure on overseas missions leaving just over 8k in Ireland. SuperValu alone has circa 230 stores in the country. Despite the assholes and bull**** merchants on FB and other social media platforms the army will not be patrolling your local supermarket or even your local streets.
    The army's function in the time of emergency is aid to the civil power not to be pointing weapons in the face of someone trying to buy a can of beans.

Yeah, thanks for clearing that up there because that was a major worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I honestly have no idea how many soldiers or supermarkets we have.

Do you?

Approx 7500-8000 in the army, that includes all types of personnel not just 'front line,.

There are approx 1000 large supermarkets in Ireland and an inordinate amount of smaller food shops or stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I was in a dusk to dawn curfew abroad years ago. No lights allowed. The army patrolled in the dark. They called to my house as there was a tiny amount of light showing.
    CCTV here would show if anyone is out and about. Traffic management can view all the junctions. A few roadblocks would slow movement.

Where was this if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

Oh I know what authority the army have when operating in Ireland.
    That's why the ridiculous suggestion from the internet hardman that someone should be facing down the barrel of a styer annoyed me so much.
    Do people learn nothing from history?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,189 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I hope they seal off the bridge in waterford to keep the south kk immigrants out

Coming into tewn,taking our jobs and wimmin,amd spreading disease
    Eating your blaas bhoy.

To thine own self be true

yesto24 wrote: »
    Oh I know what authority the army have when operating in Ireland.
    That's why the ridiculous suggestion from the internet hardman that someone should be facing down the barrel of a styer annoyed me so much.
    Do people learn nothing from history?

What authority have they got when operating in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm giggling at the idea they could hardly control Dublin never mind the country, that said they could come after those who misspell thread titles.

What authority have they got when operating in Ireland?

They can be used to protect the state.

They are in the dail and other places.
    Look how they protect money shipments, only very large scale now of course.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Where was this if you don't mind me asking?
    Zambia, May 1979.
    They were "at war" with Ian Smith's Rhodesia. But it was a war without fighting.
    I think the Zambians were expecting a visit. We heard trucks movements all night for nights on end, possibly getting troops and equipment out of the way. They certainly would never have approached Rhodesia.
    Rhodesia jets bombed Lusaka northern suburbs one morning to discourage freedom fighters based there.

They can be used to protect the state.

They are in the dail and other places.
    Look how they protect money shipments, only very large scale now of course.

Yeah I know, Im one of them. Just curious as to what the other guy knows.

Yeah I know, Im one of them. Just curious as to what the other guy knows.

Ok got ya...

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Showing off their medals... Make u feckin sick dey wud .

They would,if they could ever get around to getting off their sisters

kenmm wrote: »
    Think they would be needed to support extra check points

I heard someone on the radio saying the Gardai aren't doing checkpoints anymore now, to prevent unnecessary person-to-person contact?

Could be nonsense of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Not a hope in hell, our army is far too small and underequipped to have any influence.

Talk sense and stop believing WhatsApp/Indo bull.

But we did have a Defence Force capable of this years ago. We used to have a Defence Forces of about 13K PDF and 15K FCA and Slua Muiri about 20 years ago. Some stupid bean counter in the DoD thought this was too expensive to have this number of a multi talented soldiers and seamen retained for less than minimum wage. Where are they now when we need them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Those Whatsapp voice messages were good for a laugh. You'd swear it was the last days of the Third Reich and the Red Army was about to flood in and **** was gonna get serious.

A few lads in camo here and there helping out where needed. Big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Take with grain of salt right now. I heard from a someone i know very well and i know the guy, his in the Irish army. Not a regular recruit. The army has requested even people who have left the army to report for duty in the morning at 6am. They looking for ex army and current army to carry out different duties across the country. He would not be specific about the details, but it happening starting tomo.

Ah jaysis lads would Ye relax!
    The army are there to help out, if they are needed!
    For god's sake, what do ye think they will be doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Let's hope the blows the Defence Forces have take with manpower and budget won't come back to haunt us. Public health emergency or not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Take with grain of salt right now. I heard from a someone i know very well and i know the guy, his in the Irish army. Not a regular recruit. The army has requested even people who have left the army to report for duty in the morning at 6am. They looking for ex army and current army to carry out different duties across the country. He would not be specific about the details, but it happening starting tomo.

Hard to be specific when you are talking bollox

bubblypop wrote: »
    Ah jaysis lads would Ye relax!
    The army are there to help out, if they are needed!
    For god's sake, what do ye think they will be doing?
    Keeping people indoors, no casual shopping, no gatherings of 100+.
    I expect legislation will be introduced in the Dail this week.

• Advertisement

Keeping people indoors, no casual shopping, no gatherings of 100+.
    I expect legislation will be introduced in the Dail this week.

And what?
    Do you think the army will force you to stay in your house?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement