Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Xertz wrote: »
    There'll still be demand for a lot of that stuff - even if it shrinks back it's not going away and a lot of those companies are here for major tax advantages too, and market access reasons, so it isn't really as precarious as life for small export businesses and so on.

Take for example, the social media companies - they're probably going to be seeing a major upswing in use, not a downturn.

All I'm saying is they're less exposed in the big IT companies and so on than they would be if they were making widgets for sale.

China now risks a huge problem in the sense that their domestic manufacturing economy has sunk by 25% and domestic demand is down. That's now going to be hit with a massive fall in global demand for manufactured goods.

IT industry is on overtime . Demand for hardware, software and IT solutions from governments and businesses attempting to provide increased demand for IT for the health sector and to manage people working from home, right across the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Pictures and videos of packed or busy public transport need to circulate before the govt take action. Pubs only shut because of the outrage caused by that video in temple bar, the government's hand was forced.
    Get your phones out folks and take a pic and post on social media platforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I still can't believe the things people believe. I could literally start a WhatsApp message saying using twice as much toilet roll the clean your arse protects you from Coronavirus and it'd be shared and believed by thousands.

I spent a day of the weekend as the COVID admitting doctor in a large centre in Ireland. Mostly old people coming in, mostly people not too sick, but there absolutely are VERY sick people interspersed with the rest. And there are the odd very sick young person. It's not completely a disease of old people, and despite the stats saying most young people recover, seeing a 21 year old unable to breath without oxygen is still sobering enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

If the surgery went ahead and she wasn’t there for her daughter she would probably be distraught.

Distraught, but alive. It'a a horrible sitation, but really think we have to be completely brutal with how we protect our older people, it's proving so hard to change their ways of doing things.

I have to deliver daily bullying phonecalls to my very vulnerable parents first thing in the morning and in the evening, and every time I have to forbid some stupid excursion or another.

I'm not a naturally assertive or confrontational person, and speaking to them like this is breaking my heart. But if I can keep them out of the shops and pubs and relatives' houses for a few months, maybe I can keep them alive. They would have done it for me.

1641 wrote: »
    There was an article in one of yesterday's papers to the effect that, after the 2009 flu pandemic, most insurance companies added a clause to specifically exclude global pandemics from corporate cover. It said that before WHO officially declared a pandemic last week companies might have an arguable, but difficult, argument for cover but this would have disappeared with the WHO declaration.

People love to shlt on their boss but their bosses risked everything and went through hell to grow that business to the point of needing staff. Horrible to lose it all over insurance clauses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

twomonkeys wrote: »
    It’s the average age of the population of the country.

Ah right. Cheers pal. That makes sense alright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

And all of this ****show started in an illegal ****ing live animal market halfway around the world. Unbelieveable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The only thing I could say that may be a positive on the economic side of it is that the whole world is in the same boat. The US, EU, UK, Japan, (the entire West) and also China and most of Asia are all in the same mess.

If it were just one or two countries, audacious mountain moving type fiscal approaches wouldn't happen. They will for this.

There's going to have to be some kind of massive global fiscal restart, and I would suspect they will just allow the Fed, the ECB and others to pull various stunts to 'create' money and alter the rules of the game.

I think we're really back at the post WWII Bretton Woods type scenario where the global economy's going to have to be rebuilt.

This thing is potentially as disruptive as world war, albeit without the horrors of an actual war. We'll still have our infrastructure and the enemy is a virus. So, nobody's invaded, attacked, maimed, carpet bombed or nuked anyone. Although there'll be a death toll.

I've been thinking the same since the US got caught out. Whole world in the same struggle. Makes little sense for even those at the top to call in their debts as the little worker bees need something to hope for. Take that away and productivity just stops and the top 1% can no longer profit from our labours.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Are the 20,000 people being brought back from Spain going to be tested/quarantined on arrival? If not that could end up adding to our problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bringing back something like 20,000 Irish tourists from Spain, what absolute meatheads thought it was a great idea to continue with travel plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

To those waiting to do the "I told you so" about going into lockdown ..a stopped clock gets the time right twice a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Two very non-technical links on what's going on to find treatments/vaccines.

The first one is a general summary of possible approaches.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/15/coronavirus-treatment-could-coming-doctors-say-still-no-vaccine/5052788002/

The second on an approach in Australia which "kills the virus dead". Trials envisaged and all early days stuff.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/australian-researchers-within-reach-of-coronavirus-cure-c-746655

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I suggested this a while ago. Universal Basic Income. Trial it now nationally. Just get it done. This week. Those who can work from home and earn just pay more tax on their UBI portion to recoup some. Same for those who can safely go to work. Those on welfare now, pensions, farm supplements etc etc, get transferred to UBI. Those who will be on short hours or no hours get a UBI to survive on.

Don't start with the where is the money going to come from stuff. Money is printed already as a non fiat backed way of keeping the cogs oiled in the system. UBI just gets rid of stigma and gives regular people a share in the wealth injections normally reserved only for the already rich and powerful.

I see Tulsi is pushing for it in the US. Good for her. Plus can I please have some of whatever she is drinking to make her look ever more fabulous as time goes on !! :)

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1238516118391791617?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

We need the leaders of all political parties to make a joint statement on where we are and where we are going. This uncertainty is causing unnecessary panic in the population. Strangely the elderly whom it will likely impact the most are the calmest right now. I see JCB are going to manufacture ventilators for the UK. We need to source more of them too as I gather that's the only treatment that's effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

And all of this ****show started in an illegal ****ing live animal market halfway around the world. Unbelieveable.

Butterfly effect

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Holly13

sligeach wrote: »
    They've closed the pubs because some people were irresponsible over the weekend, but whatever punish the masses for the sins of a few(not that it affects me, I'm off the drink). And yet here we are Monday morning and people are being crammed like sardines onto train carriages. From the HSE:

• Avoid close contact with people - keep a distance of 2 metres (6.5 feet) between you and others. FAIL

• Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve when you cough and sneeze. FAIL

• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces. FAIL

• Avoid spending more than 15 minutes face-to-face contact. FAIL

Where's the Government intervention for these failures?

Have you seen people crammed into trains?
    Got the dart to work this morning, had a 4 seater all to myself. About 10 people in a carriage, where normally there would be over 100

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Do people think our society will go back to normal after this or will it restructure how we live?

I feel this is only going to add to the Nationalist wave that is sweeping the world. I wonder if the world can ever go back to Normal. This is different to anything that has gone before. I just have a bad feeling about this. The ECB needs to start printing money now and give it to governments across europe to keep cash flowing or financial strain will begin to have a social impact.

What happens when landlords come looking for €1500 rent off tenants that don't have it. These are the things that start to create tension. People are in shock now but that will wear off and a new reality will set in.
    I personally think something like the Emergency act is needed soon (next 2 weeks) that is comprehensive and deals with every sector of scociety effected by this. If not, people will have too many unanswered questions and fear will cause them to act differently to before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

macnug wrote: »
    Are the 20,000 people being brought back from Spain going to be tested/quarantined on arrival? If not that could end up adding to our problems.

Everyone landing is being given a information sheet advising them to self isolate, we cant do anything more unfortunately as 20k is just too many to quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Me_Grapes

sligeach wrote: »
    They've closed the pubs because some people were irresponsible over the weekend, but whatever punish the masses for the sins of a few(not that it affects me, I'm off the drink). And yet here we are Monday morning and people are being crammed like sardines onto train carriages . From the HSE:

• Avoid close contact with people - keep a distance of 2 metres (6.5 feet) between you and others. FAIL

• Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve when you cough and sneeze. FAIL

• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces. FAIL

• Avoid spending more than 15 minutes face-to-face contact. FAIL

Where's the Government intervention for these failures?

There is 3 people on my carraige right now. Sardines we ain't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

flanna01 wrote: »
    Quit the Brit bashing...

We are in uncharted waters here.

The Brits have their own way of handling things, maybe six months down the line they will be proved right??

Can't keep on blaming the Brits for everything... Think Cheltenham here... I believe 15 thousand Irish made that pilgrimage,followed on by another 1750 that went to see the Liverpool match...

What about this weekend as the numbers racked up...

Every pub, restaurant, bar and tavern was jointed... Will we blame the Brits for that as well...???

A little bit of sense and personal responsibility here please.....

The world is fighting a major human virus here.... It's nothing to do with the black and tans

Cop the f*ck on..................

There are a lot on these threads who would remind you of the priest from Fr Ted who thought he should get two parachutes because he was great.

"I'm sanitizing 5000 times a day" "Ooh is that all? I'm showering with bleach and sanitizing 50,000 times a day"

There's also issues with things like business rates, and other things that could be paused for the duration of this and really need to be as there's no revenue to pay them from and there's no point in bankrupting small businesses that are viable and would bounce back.

Agreed. I believe only thing we can do is pause all these kinds of charges for 3-6 months, and try to restart in the autumn. Rates, rent, repayments, that's what killed so many businesses in the crash: with no cashflow, static overheads are fatal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I still can't believe the things people believe. I could literally start a WhatsApp message saying using twice as much toilet roll the clean your arse protects you from Coronavirus and it'd be shared and believed by thousands.
    Sadly a lot of people are uninformed/dumb as rocks[delete as applicable] when something comes along outside the routines of their everyday life. This goes double when they're in the worried but in denial stages. I've seen this over the last week in people who are normally anything but thick.
    I spent a day of the weekend as the COVID admitting doctor in a large centre in Ireland.
    Jesus N, I know it can't be easy, but stay safe yourself. I can't begin to imagine the stress or the courage you guys on the front lines have.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

New Home wrote: »
    Again, travelling for work is a NECESSITY, going for a few scoops IS NOT.

Having said that, viruses can't count, and public transport is a disgrace.

Not exactly, id havta share a van with 5 others in the mornings and i wouldnt know who them 5 came into contact with or anything, coughing and snotering out of them theirs plenty like me whos said **** it its not worth it, as the saying goes, youre health is youre wealth.

macnug wrote: »
    Probably be advised to follow the same guidelines as those who came back from Cheltenham. We can't realistically quarantine or test 20,000 people quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    How do people think we will recover from this?

I feel this is only going to add to the Nationalist wave that is sweeping the world. I wonder if the world can ever go back to Normal. This is different to anything that has gone before. I just have a bad feeling about this. The ECB needs to start printing money now and give it to governments across europe to keep cash flowing or financial strain will begin to have a social impact.
    What happens when landlords come looking for €1500 rent off tenants that don't have it. These are the things that start to create tension. People are in shock now but that will wear off and a new reality will set in.
    I personally think something like the Emergency act is needed soon (next 2 weeks) that is comprehensive and deals with every sector of scociety effected by this. If not, people will have too many unanswered questions and fear will cause them to act differently to before.

I think it will embolden autocrats worldwide unfortunately. Xi Jinping is already doing a victory lap even though his rule by fear regime created the problem (not to mention we have no idea if the Chinese numbers are reliable).

20,000 fuking eejits who went on their holidays to Spain in the midst of a global Pandemic?

Leave them there.

Heres why the UK strategy wont work

https://twitter.com/JamesStewartNYT/status/1239305959337537536?s=19

Quaranting over 70s and then intentionally infecting 60% of the pop with no other preventative or slowing measures will absolutely lead to the NHS being impossibly overwhelemed

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

All this "the army is going to lock down the country" talk is pure b0ll0x. The army isn't large enough to do anything of the sort.

They are mobilising to assist the hse and other government bodies. There will be no men in camo with guns in the streets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Not illegal, and not as weird as you are trying to make it out to be. I have a friend who lived in that city for a while and shopped there every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

is_that_so wrote: »
    Two very non-technical links on what's going on to find treatments/vaccines.

The first one is a general summary of possible approaches.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/15/coronavirus-treatment-could-coming-doctors-say-still-no-vaccine/5052788002/

The second on an approach in Australia which "kills the virus dead". Trials envisaged and all early days stuff.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/australian-researchers-within-reach-of-coronavirus-cure-c-746655

that's the point anyone who researchers this stuff is suddenly looking at covid 19. a number of treatments will combine out . vaccine trials are rumoured to start in a couple of weeks or even days if you believe the American press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Another morning waking up with fear and anxiety ..... great ... jesus this will have a toll on mental health ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

gozunda wrote: »
    20,000 fuking eejits who want on their holidays to Spain in the midst of a global Pandemic?

Leave them there.

I would be inclined to agree, but like the infamous Ms Smith, why should we offload our problem on another country?

Not illegal, and not as weird as you are trying to make it out to be. I have a friend who lived in that city for a while and shopped there every day.

By all modern hygenic standards they are incredibly weird and very dangerous, first SARs now this, there is no excuse for allowing them to continue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Bringing back something like 20,000 Irish tourists from Spain, what absolute meatheads thought it was a great idea to continue with travel plans?

It's not 20k tourists its 20k irish citizens. People who may live and work there. People who retired there.

Not everyone is going to come back. E.g the cartels guys living in the Costa de sol . I cant see them flying into be arrested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

It's reminding me a little of their reaction to the Fukushima disaster - "What meltdown. Let's just stop talking about this!"

Yep, remember TEPCO during Fukushima, it was lie after lie. We're back to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

There are a lot on these threads who would remind you of the priest from Fr Ted who thought he should get two parachutes because he was great.

"I'm sanitizing 5000 times a day" "Ooh is that all? I'm showering with bleach and sanitizing 50,000 times a day"

What character are you from Father Ted? Perfectly happy to announce you were in a pub yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It's ****ing weird. Eating fithy rodents that are not fit for human consumption is a perfect example of weird behaviour.

Another morning waking up with fear and anxiety ..... great ... jesus this will have a toll on mental health ...
    Stuff 'em! We need lockdown now and forever!

UrbanFret wrote: »
    We need the leaders of all political parties to make a joint statement on where we are and where we are going. This uncertainty is causing unnecessary panic in the population. Strangely the elderly whom it will likely impact the most are the calmest right now. I see JCB are going to manufacture ventilators for the UK. We need to source more of them too as I gather that's the only treatment that's effective.

Ireland manufactures half of the worlds Ventilators according to an article in the Irish Times. Looking at Germanys example of stopping trucks with facemasks being exported to Switzerland - perhaps we should now follow their lead ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

VinLieger wrote: »
    By all modern hygenic standards they are incredibly weird and very dangerous, first SARs now this, there is no excuse for allowing them to continue

That fact that something can jump from one species to another is unfortunate. It happens, we learn, and they will probably crackdown on it in the future and introduce distancing.

But in fairness if we lived there we would all be shopping there. I saw pics and it isn't the gore-fest you seem to think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Mo chara, dont have fear or be anxious just be prepared and enjoy the time with family its all we can do its tough but we will defeat this.

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    What happens when landlords come looking for €1500 rent off tenants that don't have it. .

Tell them to piss off until this crisis is over. Good luck to them getting an eviction enforced. We've been through this before, remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

What character are you from Father Ted? Perfectly happy to announce you were in a pub yesterday.

Fr. Jorge Edgelordio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

gozunda wrote: »
    Ireland manufactures half of the worlds Ventilators according to an article in the Irish Times. Looking at Germanys example of stopping trucks with facemasks being exported to Switzerland - perhaps we should now follow their lead ...

We are not Germany, that won’t happen. Imagine Leo telling the EU to **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

I’m in a a pretty lucky position but I live alone and I’m really struggling despite doing my best.

Once I’m up and working from home I’m ok but I’ve just started in the job and can’t help feeling worried they may terminate my contract.

Night time is the worst.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Stuff 'em! We need lockdown now and forever!

I am in lockdown, so is the family, but still horrible ....

I’m in a a pretty lucky position but I live alone and I’m really struggling despite doing my best.

Once I’m up and working from home I’m ok but I’ve just started in the job and can’t help feeling worried they may terminate my contract.

Night time is the worst.

For me mornings are the worst ... evening time I watch tv/read and it's great for distraction ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Covered by who? Insurance policies have exclusions for stuff like this . Wont be covered . A lot of pubs/restaurants wont recover

If your orders to close down depending on your policy your covered, I have it in writing from my insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

What’s illegal about it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement