Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

This explains UK approach in a way that makes a bit of sense to me....

If only it were so simple! It works in theory (....but I suspect in theory only).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Jin luk wrote: »
    Waiting myself, or if u listened to morning ireland you would have a better idea, information overload to the public is a key word taking from it, also never denied the post circulating last night state seevices and gps wont be able to do this alone he says, it really is only a matter of time.

The army will be asked to help but not in the way people are talking about now.

Group B looks after group A and avoids contact with C

s

I think it would work if this part could be achieved But if group C are moving about freely it is impossible to stop the spread from C to A. Group C still have to be locked down to some extent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

DOCARCH wrote: »
    If only it were so simple! It works in theory (....but I suspect in theory only).

So your theory is that the UKs plan only works in theory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Where is the big announcement?

Snickers bar to return to its old Marathon name

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That fact that something can jump from one species to another is unfortunate. It happens, we learn, and they will probably crackdown on it in the future and introduce distancing.

But in fairness if we lived there we would all be shopping there. I saw pics and it isn't the gore-fest you seem to think it is.
    Wet markets that are found in the Far East and some parts of Africa with wild and domesticated animals being held and butchered in the same place around humans coming and going in large urban areas are viral factories and pathogen time bombs. There isn't a research centre or university on the planet that would let you run that as a practical experiment. It's just too bloody dangerous.

The yearly flu season? That's where they come from. Sars? Ditto. HIV? Well guess what... And now this virus*. If such markets didn't exist we quite simply would have had far fewer outbreaks of any viruses and we certainly would not have this one. They need to be shut down forever and left in the past where they belong. And on another note they also contribute to species being endangered and even going extinct in the parts of the world where they operate, China in particular, but also Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand.

*researchers have noted that when similar style markets and food supply went out of fashion in Europe the rates of various contagions and "plagues" went right down.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

irishgeo wrote: »
    The army will be asked to help but not in the way people are talking about now.

Army have been helping for last few days.
    Been making preparations in the Curragh camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

paw patrol wrote: »
    the government and the banks pretty much stated this , nobody will be forced out over non payments during the crisis.

even the revenue , the most heartless bastard of them all , is saying they'll work with businesses who cant make returns.

Of course you'll eventually have to pay but It's good to see , to a large degree we are all in this together.

With respect 'pretty much stated' isn't good enough.

Pascal Donohoe was on the radio yesterday morning waffling on about how the banks are 'aware' and 'some' banks have measures available for those who go talk to them.
    Another poster wrote in the last thread about how they approached AIB and the 'help' was to to go interest only for a set period of time at the cost of their credit rating - and this apparently is down to govt legislation/central bank rules.

That's no fecking help at all.

We need a clear statement by government of exactly what measures are in place and that all banks are on board.

We also need a statement as to what measures will be there to help those who rent. Not 'pretty much saying'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Where is the big announcement?

Take this as gospel, europecar have said the army are taking control of all the icecream vans

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

kevcos wrote: »

That's my theory! :pac:

I am not sure people can be so disciplined. People will give up isolating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Do people think our society will go back to normal after this or will it restructure how we live?

I feel this is only going to add to the Nationalist wave that is sweeping the world. I wonder if the world can ever go back to Normal. This is different to anything that has gone before. I just have a bad feeling about this. The ECB needs to start printing money now and give it to governments across europe to keep cash flowing or financial strain will begin to have a social impact.

What happens when landlords come looking for €1500 rent off tenants that don't have it. These are the things that start to create tension. People are in shock now but that will wear off and a new reality will set in.
    I personally think something like the Emergency act is needed soon (next 2 weeks) that is comprehensive and deals with every sector of scociety effected by this. If not, people will have too many unanswered questions and fear will cause them to act differently to before.

I personally don't worry about the economic repercussions of this,why people always want to make money.
    Markets will stabilize I can see major changes to how stock markets will work new rules to avoid knee jerk reaction.
    As far as ECB they seem to have there heads screwed on compared to the feds.
    Socially I see huge changes I see .
    On a small thing socially I have fallen out with my sister because I won't let my children see there granny at the moment,
    Both my kids are unwell at the moment I just don't want to take a chance.
    My mother is not worried about getting sick, but my son is special needs, who will mind him if my wife and I get sick, definitely not my sister she won't spend more than 5 minutes with him sadly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I’m going to explain Boris’s method for anybody who doesn’t quite get it I’m not saying if I agree with his plan or not but here goes

His plan is to segregate all vulnerable people (older, illand at risk) let’s call this group A

Anyone looking after the older,ill and at risk can be group B

The general population generally healthy can be group C

Group C needs to go about it’s business keeping the country moving kids at school us at work

Group C is allowed to contract the virus and because it’s generally healthy it can cope with it better than group A

Group A and B are almost self isolating without the virus to avoid putting strain on the NHS and reducing the risk of getting the virus and then needing the NHS

Group C (the generally healthy) go through the cycle of contracting the virus self isolating and being looked after by healthy family members, friends and the local community
    Anyone who has complications gets looked after by the NHS while groups A and B are kept away The NHS are not strained by A and B while its looking after complicated cases in C

As group C comes full circle and recovers it divides in to groups that take group B’s position looking after group A allowing group B to go though the cycle

With B and C though the cycle
    A is free to have NHS to itself because B and C are now clear from illness and infection and hopefully have a degree of immunity from getting it again this season.

Hope this helps

Everyone has a job to do for the above to work

Stay safe and keep washing those hands

Please feel free to share folks

I see no flaws in this plan whatsoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

pjohnson wrote: »
    We should be so lucky to do that :(

Why is Cheltenham being singled out??

There are 70,000 people a day at Cheltenham, an outdoor event.

There are around 70,000 people an hour on the tube, an enclosed area.

Why aren't tourists who visited London getting shit???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    It's ****ing weird. Eating fithy rodents that are not fit for human consumption is a perfect example of weird behaviour.

Not sure if anyone actually ate a bat. It appears that a bat bit an endangered animal called a pangolin, which is used in traditional Chinese medicine. The virus may have passed to humans that way. Measles, smallpox, influenza, HIV, diphtheria, the common cold and tuberculosis all originated in animals.

Pathogens have been making the jump from animals to humans for millennia. Wet markets and eating 'bush meat' definitely increases the risk, however poor hungry people have very few alternatives. Some instances of the start of epidemics and pandemics:-

The swine-origin influenza A (H1N1) virus appeared in 2009 and was first found in 2 children in Southern California. Influenza is quite common in pigs, with about half of breeding pigs having been exposed to the virus in the US. It infected around 700 million to 1.4 billion people, with about 150,000–575,000 fatalities.

A 60 year old man in Saudi Arabia got a coronavirus infection from his camel, which may have been bitten by a bat and started the (2012) MERS epidemic, which had a 36% mortality rate.

A two year old playing in a hollow tree with a bat colony started the recent (2013) Ebola epidemic infecting 28,616 people with 11,310 deaths in Africa.

A farm boy in Kansas was infected from pigs with swine flu. He then joined the army to fight in WW1 is thought to have started the 1918 ‘Spanish’ flu pandemic which killed 50 – 100 million people.

It's just a matter of chance where that happens and it could even happen here in Ireland. We even have an avian flu epidemic in some chicken farms at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭threeball

I’m going to explain Boris’s method for anybody who doesn’t quite get it I’m not saying if I agree with his plan or not but here goes

His plan is to segregate all vulnerable people (older, illand at risk) let’s call this group A

Anyone looking after the older,ill and at risk can be group B

The general population generally healthy can be group C

Group C needs to go about it’s business keeping the country moving kids at school us at work

Group C is allowed to contract the virus and because it’s generally healthy it can cope with it better than group A

Group A and B are almost self isolating without the virus to avoid putting strain on the NHS and reducing the risk of getting the virus and then needing the NHS

Group C (the generally healthy) go through the cycle of contracting the virus self isolating and being looked after by healthy family members, friends and the local community
    Anyone who has complications gets looked after by the NHS while groups A and B are kept away The NHS are not strained by A and B while its looking after complicated cases in C

As group C comes full circle and recovers it divides in to groups that take group B’s position looking after group A allowing group B to go though the cycle

With B and C though the cycle
    A is free to have NHS to itself because B and C are now clear from illness and infection and hopefully have a degree of immunity from getting it again this season.

Hope this helps

Everyone has a job to do for the above to work

Stay safe and keep washing those hands

Please feel free to share folks

All fine and dandy on paper but how do you keep the school kids who I'm sure are already infected in their droves away from Mum and Dad, the doctor, nurse, police officer who are needed without now giving them to granny and grandad. Parents are not gonna watch their kids through the windows of isolated bedrooms and pass jaffa cakes under the door.

What they are proposing is impossible and they know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I try TV in the eve but invariably watch the news and it all starts up again. I know it’s self - sabotage but better to know. I think it’s the home alone factor.

It's hard, even when you're not alone. And it's even harder to put your phone down and not tune into the radio. When you're feeling low you get dragged into it and believe the worse that's been posted. Just stay away, escape into a book or a mindless TV show or movie.

I see no flaws in this plan whatsoever

Other than people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Been following the developments like everyone else for the last few weeks, but have got really angry this last 24hrs with some of the nonsense I have had to listen to from people, work colleagues etc.

It was bad enough yesterday when I was told the Army were about to close the border....thats ok, but the latest stuff saying kids are sick in Cork and you'd need to stop giving your kids certain medicines, is downright dangerous and irresponsible. I don't know what possesses people to make these fake WhatsApp videos which will be taken onboard as gospel by a lot of people.

Its the reason we have people not getting their kids vaccinated any more and why mumps and measles numbers are increasing.

I wish they would catch themselves on, and give up trying to be famous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

:rolleyes:Ryan Tubridy on radio, yet again setting himself up as national oracle and great seer providing calm for the rabble.

• Advertisement

Conveney on morning ireland, never denied the post circulating last night

He did.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They literally welded people's doors shut, disinfected the streets, severely curtailed movement. It was brutal. Many anecdotally, died in their own homes, they are finding out now. There have been some cases of re infection, and that is a huge worry. I would say they are still very cautious.

And yet we hear stories that they welded doors shut to force people to use a single exit allowing them to monitor (and probably control) movements

Now it might not be the best thing from a fire safety perspective, but they probably thought that fire was lower down their risk assessments

Of course we will hear "stories" of what happened, but how many mouths have your version of the "facts" gone through before reaching here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

kevcos wrote: »

https://twitter.com/iandonald_psych/status/1238518371651649538

Good thread there.

Its very risky what they are doing, but ignore social media scare mongering , this is Boris listening to the experts, if wrong, well best not to think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

threeball wrote: »
    All fine and dandy on paper but how do you keep the school kids who I'm sure are already infected in their droves away from Mum and Dad, the doctor, nurse, police officer who are needed without now giving them to granny and grandad. Parents are not gonna watch their kids through the windows of isolated bedrooms and pass jaffa cakes under the door.

What they are proposing is impossible and they know it.

Plus they have left it too late to try isolate group A.

That should have been done weeks even months ago.

The NHS will be overwhelmwd shortly and people will be left to die like in Italy if you are over a certain age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭0127647

bekker wrote: »
    The Dáil don't seem to want to legislate anything at present. Members apparently have better things to do.

Coveney seems to think theres as much chance of getting it here as in the UK where nothing is being done

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1239470071392632833

FG really are useless. Surprised they haven't outsourced decisions like pub closures to the citizens assembly ffs

Their is law dating back a long time that enforces the gardai to make sure people stay in lockdown or self isolation, drew harris, garda commisioner has just gone and said this a week and a half ago so yes the OP is false.

Again with your false claims, that was removed from the statute books a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Can posters please stop saying to leave the Irish in Spain

We have to take them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Their is law dating back a long time that enforces the gardai to make sure people stay in lockdown or self isolation, drew harris, garda commisioner has just gone and said this a week and a half ago so yes the OP is false.

Yes the law is there to keep people in self isolation who medically refuse to. Someone who doesn't obey medical advice when told to self isolate can be forced to.

That does not extend to locking down the country. Read up on the quotes and the statue books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Waiting myself, or if u listened to morning ireland you would have a better idea, information overload to the public is a key word taking from it, also never denied the post circulating last night state seevices and gps wont be able to do this alone he says, it really is only a matter of time.

At this stage id say you are hoping it happens so you can say told you so. Absolute bull****.
    How can 10000 military lock down a country?
    Logistically it can't happen even if they did want to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Other than people?

Sugar, I forgot to put humans into my "herd immunity calculator"

I'll just recalibrate there....

They are f##ked

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Hurrache wrote: »
    He did.

Quote him saying it, because i never heard him say once that any of it was fake he said people need to be careful where they get their news from and then said everything ive put in about 3 posts already not writing it again, if u want to believe everything will be normal go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy on radio, yet again setting himself up as national oracle and great seer providing calm for the rabble.
    The "rabble" need someone to be calm, even a radio personality they know can offer some respite. People are caught between the reckless dissemination of nonsense on social media and the equally disconcerting data from authorities. Not a good place to be no matter how mentally tough you imagine yourself to be.

Boggles wrote: »

I never stopped calling it a Marathon, and I never will.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Looks like Japan sacrificing honesty and common good to get the Olympics to start on time. They should be cancelled.
    They probably will be (postponed anyway), but they are still over 4 months off and the world could (probably will) be a different place by then. There are discussions taking place this week, but they really do not need to rush into a decision at this stage. They probably want to have a view as to when they could practically be held - is it later in the year, or next year? These things need thinking through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Syncpolice wrote: »
    Can posters please stop saying to leave the Irish in Spain

We have to take them
    It is a feature of this thread to have a target, as one goes away another will be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

UrbanFret wrote: »
    At this stage id say you are hoping it happens so you can say told you so. Absolute bull****.
    How can 10000 military lock down a country?
    Logistically it can't happen even if they did want to do it.

Its making sure food and pharmacy supplies are getting to everyone not some knobs who goes in a buys 3months worth of food, electrical shops are booming everyone buying chest freezers around here this last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭storker

Take this as gospel, europecar have said the army are taking control of all the icecream vans

This will involve re-designating a "99 Flake" as an "88mm".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

is_that_so wrote: »
    The "rabble" need someone to be calm, even a radio personality they know can offer some respite. People are caught between the reckless dissemination of nonsense on social media and the equally disconcerting data from authorities. Not a good place to be no matter how mentally tough you imagine yourself to be.
    Oh yeah, the same calmer who one week ago applauded McConkey for saying 'go to the pub, go to the restaurants, enjoy yourselves'
    The guy should shut up and play some music instead of wittering on about candles in windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

What’s illegal about it?

The government outlawed the wet markets a few years ago.

A man from the Restaurants Association on Radio 1 now saying "we want to close but the government need to tell us to close"

What?
    They may have insurance, but that is unlikely to cover "voluntary" closures. That's why a lot of organisations have been seeking ideally direction, but possibly recommendations, from relevant authorities. That way they and their employees may have a business/livelihood to return to

Quote him saying it, because i never heard him say once that any of it was fake he said people need to be careful where they get their news from and then said everything ive put in about 3 posts already not writing it again, if u want to believe everything will be normal go ahead.

The word "false" obviously means something different to you than everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭storker

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    With respect 'pretty much stated' isn't good enough.[...] We also need a statement as to what measures will be there to help those who rent. Not 'pretty much saying'.

Quite. Weasel words are "pretty much" useless in this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Its making sure food and pharmacy supplies are getting to everyone not some knobs who goes in a buys 3months worth of food, electrical shops are booming everyone buying chest freezers around here this last week.

Markup on a freezer would be 10-20%, if that is all they have been selling, they are fúcked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

That's my theory! :pac:

I am not sure people can be so disciplined. People will give up isolating.

Lock-downs and isolation's are no more than a short term solution, it may provide breathing space for citizens sentiment I suppose.
    This cant and wont be enforced long term due to social or God forbid I say it economic reasons.

The UK's approach is what all countries will end up implementing.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

is_that_so wrote: »
    It is a feature of this thread to have a target, as one goes away another will be found.
    Yea, in troubled times lots of people need someone or something to blame or lash out against, it gives them a sense of control in an uncontrolable situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

https://twitter.com/Schwarzenegger/status/1239383795205169152

Arnie, with his mini pet horse and donkey in his kitchen with a very important message. What’s not to like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

11am you said wasn't it? Waiting here on tenterhooks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What character are you from Father Ted? Perfectly happy to announce you were in a pub yesterday.

One who doesn't think the sky is falling down. FFS. What is the difference between a half empty pub, with the seats spaced out by a metre or so and the full bus I was on this morning, with people sitting right beside me and right in front and behind me??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

R

Explain how the numbers would work? Almost 50000 towns and villages with multiple supermarkets. Can you imagine a 19 year old armed reserve policing a supermarket?
    The local gun club would be more believable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

A lot more testing will be going ahead according to reports. Are we looking at high 40s today, maybe high 50s for positives today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Finally things are getting serious here in the States.

People are the dumbest on the planet by far, many still think this is a flu with mild symptoms.

Testing will not start until later this week. Already they have seen an increase in Illinois to 69 cases. .... with no testing.

Talking to neighbours they say it is ridiculous that everything is closing, where are we going to eat?

have had the office and staff off since last week and skeletal staff (including myself) isolated from everyone IN the office with lots of hand sanitizer. No one gets in and those inside cannot go to large meetings/gatherings.

I was called an alarmist last week because people were not being allowed in.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement