Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

1187188189190191193»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Is there any solace in our low death rate or is too early to consider? No smartarse answers ....

A point was made earlier that Italy are testing everyone who died, and including those if they had coronavirus in their numbers even if the death wasnt caused by corona, just that they died with it.

We havent been testing the recently deceased for corona, but he low number is a good sign I believe as some stats given earlier on how to calculate total infected is to calculate the deaths and work from there by multiplying by the average mortality rate. Im an optimist, and as such hoping this is the case and the signs are good, and not that we are just in the early stages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I'm guessing it's stil lfine to e going out for runs

I have an ample supply of andrex in case of the runs.

Enjoy. No rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Which didn’t even start in Spain.

I'm well able to read Wikipedia myself thanks. Have you a relevant response?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

sanjose1 wrote: »
    tough times for compulsive gamblers to get a fix

Bet365 were offering odds on esports yesterday...basically lads playing FIFA you could have a bet on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm guessing it's stil lfine to e going out for runs

What kind of runs?

It's fine and healthy to be out and about just keep a bit of distance (1.5 - 2m) from others where possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

France: +1,404 cases/+89 deaths.

That was Italy about a week ago....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Gynoid wrote: »
    There has been a recent campaign to get that name changed to the 1918 pandemic. German measles next I guess. What about all the eponymously named diseases... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_eponymously_named_diseases

That's completely retarded. I will forever refer to it now as the Chinese Virus. It is not wrong to say that, the snowflakes who are offended are wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Would anyone have a number of Italian deaths in the last 24 hours can’t seem to find it anywhere 😜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Oh bolloxx, are you here now?

End of sensible discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Would anyone have a number of Italian deaths in the last 24 hours can’t seem to find it anywhere 😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Source?

italy

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Arlene Foster speaking this evening:

'...school closures [in NI] will likely take us to and beyond the natural break for the summer...'.

Can't foresee ROI schools being any different!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Graham wrote: »
    Isn't that exactly the same source you quote earlier?

All I am asking is where is this information on the WHO website.

The only mention I can find of Coronavirus and Ibuprofen on the WHO website is here:

Source: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/getting-workplace-ready-for-covid-19.pdf

As the quote from the named WHO spokesman says, they 'are looking into this to give further guidance'.

The source is the French equivalent of RTE, which is quoting a named WHO official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Graham wrote: »
    Isn't that exactly the same source you quote earlier?

All I am asking is where is this information on the WHO website.

The only mention I can find of Coronavirus and Ibuprofen on the WHO website is here:

Source: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/getting-workplace-ready-for-covid-19.pdf

The Ibuprofen questions are the result of this study

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28005149

Pneumonia is often a secondary infection with Covid 19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Raconteuse wrote: »
    475 deaths in Italy in 24 hours. What. Tha. Fuk.
    This is insane. I watched a video on twitter of a fairly young woman in hospital with the virus and she looked very bad. There was no info regarding underlying health problems etc but she was young enough looking. Scary stuff, I know we are being told its only older people and people with existing issues that get it bad but I have my suspicions that we aren't being told everything to avoid panic. Hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

STB. wrote: »
    Over 10% of those infected require ICU and ventilation. They are not treating those over 60 in many regions. Triage. Not enough ventilators..

Italy has bought nearly 5000 new ventilators
    http://www.ansa.it/sito/notizie/topn...6961c8e2e.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

indough wrote: »
    Ebola and Zika are both named after where they originated so we haven’t really.

H1N1 came from some Mexican swine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Can the banks not increase the bank card tap to be increased to double at 60 euro? Most people shopping at the moment will be doing bigger shops. less people using keypad the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Unfortunately some people still have to go to work and still need to use public transport to do so... What else do you suggest for these people?

Not 'some' I am guessing, but most? This idea that we are practising some kind of severe social distancing is a bit of a lark, in my opinion. Loads of us have to go to work, have to interact at work with others, have no choice if the company is open and work cannot be done from home. In fact most people have to go out is what i guess, by a fair shot. I could be corrected on that.
    I would be interested in knowing what percentage of people are able to truly socially isolate? For many it seems we can talk to each other from a little further back in the room if lucky!! Most people in the higher levels of management can work from home.... because all it takes in those positions is to be handy with a bit of excel and at generating long email conversations :D :pac: (Kidding, kidding ahem..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Good to see the Medical Scientists of the NVRL highlighted on the news. Unfortunately they were called a "Technical Officer" for some reason. A bit disrespectful to not name staff by their actaul title.

They are working night and day 24/7 to get through the backlog. They're under severe pressure.

Everyone is in a rush to be swabbed but its only creating a bottleneck for our laboratory services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Kinda bad form to have that on national TV imo

Ah, come on. I’m not religious myself but Mass brings comfort to many people. And the demographic most hit is also the most religious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Im the last person to panic and I consider my self level headed and logical. Rarely ill

But

The last two days my chest in particular just above my diaphragm is sore, nearly a pulsing ache and tightness. Sinuses are a bit stuffed too.

This fecker makes you paranoid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

All UCC college examinations taking place online.

Trump can literally do no wrong. Is this the desired response?

Can the banks not increase the bank card tap to be increased to double at 60 euro? Most people shopping at the moment will be doing bigger shops. less people using keypad the better

Cash is practically unused in my area now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

All the Cheltenham punters who are sick at home with a bad dose will need something to watch for the next few weeks.

F*****s, they should all be made do contact tracing for their own files. Let them answer personally to their victims !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's going up to €50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭dan786

The Department of Foreign Affairs is extending its deadline for Irish tourists in Spain to travel home until Saturday.

Tánaiste Simon Coveney had originally called on Irish holidaymakers in Spain who want to fly home to do so by midnight tomorrow.

But this has been extended in order to deal with the numbers involved.

The plan is being worked on by airlines including Ryanair and Aer Lingus in conjunction with Spanish authorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

All UCC college examinations taking place online.

DCU too. How will they manage that? How will they prevent cheating?

Good to see the Medical Scientists of the NVRL highlighted on the news. Unfortunately they were called a "Technical Officer" for some reason. A bit disrespectful to not name staff by their actaul title.

They are working night and day 24/7 to get through the backlog. They're under severe pressure.

Everyone is in a rush to be swabbed but its only creating a bottleneck for our laboratory services.

That is the title of many of the testers in the NVRL. I think there are more technical officers than medical scientists. There’s nothing deeming about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

As bad as the Italy figures are, they seem to be hopefully coming towards the upper end of the curve and in a weeks time should see a steady decrease with the effects of lockdown being well underway.

The big news is the number recovered in the last 24hrs, this tok you would expect to grow day by day given the 2 weeks period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Trump is 100% correct to refer to it as the "Chinese virus "

China has been a very bad actor here and should be required to bail us all out

Truly evil regime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

oh no, alison spittle might be out of work

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

The virus doesn't fare well on hot food. So hot takeaway food should be fine. Cold food such as sandwiches and salads I wouldn't risk.

https://www.foodnavigator.com/Article/2020/03/16/COVID-19-and-food-This-virus-is-sensitive-to-cooking-temperatures
    I would only worry about the containers the food comes in. As long as you transfer the food to your own plate and dispose of the rest carefully there should not be any problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's going up to €50.

where did you hear that? a quick google got me nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭nimrod86

I don't know about other banks, but with KBC you can use Google Pay, and there's NO LIMIT on it - Been my go to for the past few months, and handy paying with my phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

God, Spain France Switzerland and Netherlands all look right in the thick of it. We are so lucky we got on top of this early(well earlier than them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Arlene Foster speaking this evening:

'...school closures [in NI] will likely take us to and beyond the natural break for the summer...'.

Can't foresee ROI schools being any different!

So we need urgent action to get the Leaving cert students taught somehow, otherwise no leaving cert = no CAO = no university admission in 2020. This is the sort of things that needs to be announced, but all we're still doing the usual trick or lutching along one step behind the crisis all they way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

As bad as the Italy figures are, they seem to be hopefully coming towards the upper end of the curve and in a weeks time should see a steady decrease with the effects of lockdown being well underway.

The big news is the number recovered in the last 24hrs, this tok you would expect to grow day by day given the 2 weeks period.

How can we know it's the upper end of the curve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Raconteuse wrote: »
    475 deaths in Italy in 24 hours. What. Tha. Fuk.

To put that into perspective there is on average 1700 deaths per day in Italy normally

This is insane. I watched a video on twitter of a fairly young woman in hospital with the virus and she looked very bad. There was no info regarding underlying health problems etc but she was young enough looking. Scary stuff, I know we are being told its only older people and people with existing issues that get it bad but I have my suspicions that we aren't being told everything to avoid panic. Hope I'm wrong.

Well, you don’t know if that young woman had an underlying condition so you can’t draw any conclusions from that. Lots of people have chronic illnesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

DOCARCH wrote: »
    France: +1,404 cases/+89 deaths.

That was Italy about a week ago....

The French Army and Air Force have started moving those who are critical from the worst affected areas to intensive care in other regions not hit including military hospitals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

There is a leaked report from America going around the webs
    they are planning for 18 months crisis.

are you sure that isnt just the Imperial College London report that was released?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

where did you hear that? a quick google got me nothing

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0318/1123788-banks-covid-19/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Approaching 10k post so closing this, please bear with me folks while I make a new thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112876533#post112876533

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

DCU too. How will they manage that? How will they prevent cheating?

They can't obviously , but that they can do is mitigate it.

My son is at 3rd level and a lot of his tests are online anyway and they tend to be very short time slots

A typical exam is available online for 1hr with the expectation that it should take 45 minutes to complete etc. to limit the time you might have to check your notes or google the answers, they also randomise the questions , so each student will get 12 random questions from a selection of ~100 or whatever , reducing the chance that you could "copy off a partner" etc.

Not perfect , but a lot better than nothing and it gets them done - In a lot of courses , the end of year exams are a relatively small % of the overall grade for the year as well as they are continuous assessment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement