Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

Went to Tesco for the essentials at 8am. It was packed to the rafters. I've never seen it as full. Even at Xmas.

Carpark full and overflowing. Was pretty bare inside. Not a pack of meat left. No soaps. No bread. Lots of toilet paper though!

Could not get over the trolley after trolley rimmed with stuff. Do people know something I don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Will I cut a Facebook friend that reckons that it as all caused by 5G. The amount of likes they got for it :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Nermal wrote: »
    And our plan? Complete lockdown until what, exactly? Until a vaccine is available at an unspecified future date? Until we have no cases, and then start all over again when new ones appear?

The UK plan has an end date and won’t lead to a deflationary spiral. That alone makes it better than ours.

There's always a plan B.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Someone I know has been trying since Thursday to get tested and the latest is he "should" get a test by Wednesday. Who knows where the figures are really at.

Can I ask why?

Surely the only reason to test someone now is to treat any severe cases?

Anyone who is not in serious condition just needs to self-isolate.

Wouldn't thousands of unnecessary tests just put even more strain on health systems?

People who's time could be better spent elsewhere are wasting resources testing 1000s of people and getting mostly negative results anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

callaway92 wrote: »
    It’s so so weird

Ok..

Just interested on how this is going to work out...

Stop making it out like I am sitting back, grinning and laughing as I wonder....

That is what is weird, and it's you who are thinking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

People might actually save tonnes of cash over next few months if salaried as will be fook all to spend it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Most people probably aren’t intentionally or maliciously lying by passing these stories and messages around btw but it’s still so unreliable and that’s just not good. That’s the issue more so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

boris-johnson-lets-kill-old-people-uk-coronavirus-strategy.jpg

Emmm, didn't see that notification on .gov.uk but great photo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Growth outside Europe is increasing
    75 new cases in Australia
    100 more in Brazil
    130 more in Malaysia
    45 more in Pakistan
    Almost 40 more in Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Reati wrote: »
    Went to Tesco for the essentials at 8am. It was packed to the rafters. I've never seen it as full. Even at Xmas.

Carpark full and overflowing. Was pretty bare inside. Not a pack of meat left. No soaps. No bread. Lots of toilet paper though!

Could get over the trolley after trolley rimmed with stuff. Do people know something I don't?
    No just been panicked by nonsense about an invading military power from outer space taking over the running of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

GooglePlus wrote: »
    First day working from home today and can already see that this will not be sustainable for either me or the company.

What are the issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Feel like the government has done good enough so far and I can’t see this virus spreading as rapidly as it has in other countries due to it. Schools etc closed, pubs mostly closed. Sister said the luas in Dublin was empty this morning and the transport here in cork is empty too. This could really help stop the spread of the virus which would be brilliant and we will hopefully see the results in a few weeks time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Will I cut a Facebook friend that reckons that it as all caused by 5G. The amount of likes they got for it :eek:

You should hes wrong, it was Bill Gates and 5G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Omackeral wrote: »
    Most people probably aren’t intentionally or maliciously lying by passing these stories and messages around btw but it’s still so unreliable and that’s just not good. That’s the issue more so.
    It is the very essence of social media that is feeding it, that need to share. Nothing wrong with sharing but doing so uncritically can have consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

What we need is a young Bruce Willis.

• Advertisement

Pac1Man wrote: »
    What we need is a young Bruce Willis.

He’d McClane this right up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The UK plan has an end date and won’t lead to a deflationary spiral. That alone makes it better than ours.

The UK has an end date that is entirely fabricated, theres no way to know if things will be okay by then.

Also the NHS will still be overwhelmed by those who require hospitalisation and are under 70 becasue they are implementing no social distancing, event or large gathering shutdowns or school closures

Finally the idea of locking up all 70+ and they staying uninfected or in any manner of good health without outside contact or the ability to go outside is absurd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Isn't the biggest assumption the UK are making is that people that recover from covid-19 actually DO have a long term immunity?
    Science on this virus has not established this is the case.

If those people only have a short term immunity - like a couple weeks or months and just get re-infected again, it totally nixes the theory of herd immunity and then they are letting the virus spread out of control and will lead to massive deaths.

Here's a report from China where they found 14% of recovered people tested positive again.
    https://www.caixinglobal.com/2020-02-26/14-of-recovered-covid-19-patients-in-guangdong-tested-positive-again-101520415.html

Additionally, when the virus mutates we also don't know if any immunity built up hereto - long or short term, is negated or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Just came into work and my 2 bosses are taking the piss saying to use one of our products as a marketing strategy to cure corona.

The UK is full of monumental bellends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,606 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is take aways and drive thrus staying open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

wadacrack wrote: »
    I expect 100, don't see how we have done much better than Italy in containment tbh. The low numbers atm due to a lack of testing. 3% of test have been positive so that would be a worry. An 85 year-old woman tested positive despite only being in contact with 5 family members.

True but who were they in contact with. Did they wash there hand in the correct manner not touch there face etc.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It is the very essence of social media that is feeding it, that need to share. Nothing wrong with sharing but doing so uncritically can have consequences.

It’s gone full circle for me now unfortunately. Could be reading something sound/helpful and actually official but if I hear the words “on Facebook” I just straight away default to roll eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Yes it is. 30 of the 31 provinces are slowly getting back to normal. That famous hospital that was thrown up is now empty.

China had 22 new cases yesterday. They have won. Some people will be disappointed

Had 41.yesterday (nearly all imported... )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

Beasty wrote: »
    It states median though. That is very different from the mean (weighted) age

The median age is basically half of expected lifespan. There are in most cases a hell of a lot more below the median than above it when it comes to age

Eh - median is by definition that number above seperates a data sample into two equal groups.

Take the age values: 3,5,7,10,100.

The median age is 7.

The mean age is 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Feel like the government has done good enough so far and I can’t see this virus spreading as rapidly as it has in other countries due to it. Schools etc closed, pubs mostly closed. Sister said the luas in Dublin was empty this morning and the transport here in cork is empty too. This could really help stop the spread of the virus which would be brilliant and we will hopefully see the results in a few weeks time

Depends where people go when not in school or work. Hopefully do the right thing but I judging by parks and playgrounds yesterday I have my doubts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

VinLieger wrote: »
    The UK has an end date that is entirely fabricated, theres no way to know if things will be okay by then.

Also the NHS will still be overwhelmed by those who require hospitalisation and are under 70 becasue they are implementing no social distancing, event or large gathering shutdowns or school closures

The flaw in the UK thinking is that when all not isolated get sick who is there to mind children . Babies , kids with special needs etc will have no one to mind them except the grandparents who are in isolation .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I’ve read this nonsense too. Wtf??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ummm, because Cheltenham was completely avoidable.

Ummmm, so were tourist trips to London. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Surprised to see some Cinemas open today with full schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Simon coveny on redfm just now “lockdown message at 11am is complete nonsense”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

Could not get over the trolley after trolley rimmed with stuff. Do people know something I don't?

Because of all the stupid facebook and whatsapp messages.
    Never mind closing airports and stopping international travel, most important thing the government could do is shutdown certain social media platforms. The muppets dont need any encouragement to elevate the levels of muppetry and social media is given it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Omackeral wrote: »
    One is necessary. One isn’t.

It's necessary for me to be in an empty clinic on Boards?? Jesus, I didn't think I was that important a poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Big rumour going round yesterday suggesting that the whole country was going into "lockdown" on Tuesday, hence the panic buying :eek:

This country in not going into "lockdown" tomorrow. The shops will be open, petrol will be available from the petrol station, toilet paper supplies are good too!

Ummmm, so were tourist trips to London. :rolleyes:

Yeah and they’re lambasted too. Cheltenham was high profile is all.

People panic buying again this morning, shop I work in was quiet enough over the weekend but it's gone crazy again this morning. People ignoring the advice about keeping distance between people where possible and whole families in shopping. Can one parent not stay at home while the other gets the shopping?

Simon coveny on redfm just now “lockdown message at 11am is complete nonsense”

No but that Tesco worker said....

And our plan? Complete lockdown until what, exactly? Until a vaccine is available at an unspecified future date? Until we have no cases, and then start all over again when new ones appear?

The UK know when it will end and that immunity will happen. WHY ARE THEY NOT TELLING US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Im not happy with our plan either.

I would have prefered we d stopped humans travelling in/quarrantined 4/6 weeks ago. At least then the country could have some sort of normality. Keep the virus out instead of dealing with it.

Sounds extreme, but so does our plan and uks and every other countries plan

It's necessary for me to be in an empty clinic on Boards?? Jesus, I didn't think I was that important a poster.

I said it was necessary for people to go to work. It’s not necessary to go to the pub for pints. You already know this though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Isn't the biggest assumption the UK are making is that people that recover from covid-19 actually DO have a long term immunity?
    Science on this virus has not established this is the case.

If those people only have a short term immunity - like a couple weeks or months and just get re-infected again, it totally nixes the theory of herd immunity and then they are letting the virus spread out of control and will lead to massive deaths.

Here's a report from China where they found 14% of recovered people tested positive again.
    https://www.caixinglobal.com/2020-02-26/14-of-recovered-covid-19-patients-in-guangdong-tested-positive-again-101520415.html

Additionally, when the virus mutates we also don't know if any immunity built up hereto - long or short term, is negated or not.

THIS!!!!! We’ve also seen patients in Japan get re infected

People panic buying again this morning, shop I work in was quiet enough over the weekend but it's gone crazy again this morning. People ignoring the advice about keeping distance between people where possible and whole families in shopping. Can one parent not stay at home while the other gets the shopping?

Have you not heard of the lockdown and all the army to be deployed. Must be the only shop not to have told there employees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

Brought the kids to the park yesterday....we've decided to keep them in the house all other times....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    Bring them back, test them at the airport or tell them to self-isolate.

That's probably what will happen but I think less latitude will be given compared to the Italian ski groups etc. They likely genuinely didn't see any issue prior to departure. You'd have to think that most of those on holiers in Spain etc now were well aware of the pending problem and yet decided to go.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Im not happy with our plan either.

I would have prefered we d stopped humans travelling in/quarrantined 4/6 weeks ago. At least then the country could have some sort of normality. Keep the virus out instead of dealing with it.

Sounds extreme, but so does our plan and uks and every other countries plan

Hindsight, yes I kind of agree, but that have been realistically possible? Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Here's the article where i got this:

Can You Get Coronavirus Twice? How Long Are You Immune After COVID-19?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/03/15/can-you-get-infected-by-coronavirus-twice-how-does-covid-19-immunity-work/#5de6a2a85c0f

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

VinLieger wrote: »
    Finally the idea of locking up all 70+ and they staying uninfected or in any manner of good health without outside contact or the ability to go outside is absurd
    Doesn't even seem to account for older folks living with their younger family members.
    What do people do, lock granny in her room and feed her through a hole in the door and wear full PPE everytime they enter. FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,613 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Any further lockdown will come with notice I imagine.

My advice is instead of pasta, go get some DIY stuff, paint etc.

There will be long days ahead that will need filling. Tackle the jobs that you have been putting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

I think the mods need to start handing out bans to the posters that was posting fake news on here yesterday. Things are bad enough than having idiots posting nonsense in the effort to make people panic more..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

MM on newstalk after 10

Will he be calling for a report on the virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Stupid people listening to rumours on WhatsApp. By jaysus we are a thick shower all the same. A person is intelligent, but people are stupid.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement