Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

gifted wrote: »
    Brought the kids to the park yesterday....we've decided to keep them in the house all other times....

Thats smart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

tom1ie wrote: »
    THIS!!!!! We’ve also seen patients in Japan get re infected
    I think there were a limited number of cases they could not explain. They are unsure what happened. That is just one possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Syncpolice wrote: »
    MM on newstalk after 10

Will he be calling for a report on the virus

A tribunal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Nermal wrote: »
    And our plan? Complete lockdown until what, exactly? Until a vaccine is available at an unspecified future date? Until we have no cases, and then start all over again when new ones appear?

The UK plan has an end date and won’t lead to a deflationary spiral. That alone makes it better than ours.

We haven’t locked down everything, most people can still work. We have had a staggered shut down of things over the week. Had all those idiots not rushed to pubs we might not of had to shut them down.

I’d say over the coming months we May see staggered services and closures on/off depending on how the numbers are looking. People are going to keep getting infected. The idea of slowing the curve is being targeted by everybody , even the rogue Brits. We can’t stop it, we can only slow it down. Eventually we will all prob get infected on some capacity, that’s less of a disaster if we get infected in lower numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭pawdee

The army my whole. Left, right, left right. Please. Don't make me laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭gifted

namloc1980 wrote: »
    A tribunal.

A Fundamental Tribune...his fav word.

Anyone shed any light on why japan has under 1000 cases? Really dont make sense to me how this is when china has the numbers it has?

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    Can I ask why?

Surely the only reason to test someone now is to treat any severe cases?

Anyone who is not in serious condition just needs to self-isolate.

Wouldn't thousands of unnecessary tests just put even more strain on health systems?

People who's time could be better spent elsewhere are wasting resources testing 1000s of people and getting mostly negative results anyway.

Why what?
    He lives with his 2 kids and his wife who has a chronic long-term issue. Parents on both sides (who were there well within the 2 weeks incubation period. I thought maybe it'd be a good idea for him to be tested.
    Also, if we only test those with serious symptoms then we're going to end up with completely juked stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I long for the days of Brexit talk

The talk of Covid19 is wrecking my mental health

WrestleMania could be cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Boggles wrote: »
    Any further lockdown will come with notice I imagine.

My advice is instead of pasta, go get some DIY stuff, paint etc.

There will be long days ahead that will need filling. Tackle the jobs that you have been putting off.

Yep. Also the supermarkets won't shut, but everything else is likely to at some stage - so we're to Smyth's today to buy our 10 month old son is first birthday present, just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Jin luk wrote: »
    Anyone shed any light on why japan has under 1000 cases? Really dont make sense to me how this is when china has the numbers it has?

It’s not connected to the landmass of Asia would be one difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

No real need for your mental health to take a hit. While difficult, if extreme measures like that came in, they should relax your mind.

I wanted to move into my own place this year so the thought of being stuck in a flat with two of the most disgustingly untidy selfish individuals who I don't get on with is unbearable. One of them won't even change a toilet roll, throws it on the floor of the bathroom agreed to the cleaning rota but won't do it and there is filth and mould beginning to grow because this person is selfish. I was away and they wouldn't open the door for an amazon delivery so they inconvenienced my neighbour. I don't trust these people and I don't want to be here with them during difficult periods. Yes I was involved in choosing them to move in but I had no idea that the agreement to a cleaning rota was a lie.

I think for other reasons though this will take it's toll mentally on many people as the months drag on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I think people really overestimate the capability and caliber of our armed forces.

The only people that can beat this virus is the general public. We are learning how to combat it and we will beat it. It might take a while but so be it.

The economic fallout will be severe but we will muddle through.

And nobody will starve to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I long for the days of Brexit talk

The talk of Covid19 is wrecking my mental health

WrestleMania could be cancelled

What about that single-market, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Rumous are the PM is slowing tests to keep numbers low so the Olympics can go ahead.

Pretty short sighted as it is impossible to hide forever and the Olympics need other countries to go ahead plus the ultimate decisions is down to the IOC.

He has publicly staked his legacy on them going ahead so thats all he cares about.

Omackeral wrote: »
    It’s not connected to the landmass of Asia would be one difference.

Fair enough point but that would make more sense back in the spanish flu, their would be so much travel between the 2 nations same as here as we are an island too?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fics

Ringing insurance company to see about a flight refund approx a 40 min wait.

Wonder will cancellation due to my partner having holidays revoked due to needing all hands on deck be a valid reason ( healthcare worker )

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lock down will come in phases. We have just 'dealt' with the pubs.

Next it will be restaurants.

After that it will be non-essential (non food/non medical) shops and probably shopping centres.

That will all happen before people are told to stay away from work/stay at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

DOCARCH wrote: »

After that it will be non-essential (non food/non medical) shops and probably shopping centres.

That will all happen before people are told to stay away from work/stay at home.

Indeed its the only way people will accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

gifted wrote: »
    Brought the kids to the park yesterday....we've decided to keep them in the house all other times....

Sure, a bit of fresh air is good for everybody. From all that's being reported though, children in particular seem to get over this bug pretty easily. So not too much to worry about on that front. It's more a question of limiting them spreading it to more middle aged and elderly people whose immune systems seem more likely to object to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

DOCARCH wrote: »

What sort of timeframe before work shuts

This is important for those transitioning to welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Im not happy with our plan either.

I would have prefered we d stopped humans travelling in/quarrantined 4/6 weeks ago. At least then the country could have some sort of normality. Keep the virus out instead of dealing with it.

Sounds extreme, but so does our plan and uks and every other countries plan

Where would you quarantined all those people. Where would you have got all the people to monitor these people on an ongoing basis and why 4/6 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Anyone shed any light on why japan has under 1000 cases?

The most hygiene-obsessed people in the world, with almost crushing pressure of social conformity, valued public service and a long history of dealing efficiently with appalling disasters that would have destroyed most nations? Who can tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

My guess is that initially China tried to bury the problem (rememeber the whistleblower doctor who disappeared?) which made the outbreak much worse and spread quicker. They only came clean because they absolutely had to.

With regards to Japan, my guess is that Asian countries are very efficient at dealing with these because they have had to in the past. We are having to shut everything down because we aren’t equipped to respond well or react quickly to what’s unfolding. We also, as a population, are uneducated so don’t know how to react which makes it worse.

The fact that sporting events , travelling and different measures to slow it down are being met with so much resistance says it all about our response. Hopefully this doesn’t turn out too bad and actually puts some manners on us all because nature doesn’t abide by our flimsy rules.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Simon coveny on redfm just now “lockdown message at 11am is complete nonsense”

He said the same on Morning Ireland on RTE. Had a go at social media for spreading false rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well maybe because like China, Taiwan and other regions in the area they've already had the scares around SARS and bird flu so were a little more geared up for it? Plus there's much more social compliance in general in far eastern cultures, less individualistic panic and the like compared to European cultures. There's also a culture of wearing face masks in play across the region, whereas here you have people buying and hoarding them, but few actually wearing the damn things. On top of that Japanese society is incredibly efficient in the face of social and engineering challenges. EG look how quickly they got back up and running after the tsunami that wrecked the country. Yes the Fukushima power station is still in play, but even there they were fast acting and look how quickly the Japanese repaired roads and other infrastructure after the waves subsided. They fixed whole intersections over the space of a weekend.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Fair enough point but that would make more sense back in the spanish flu, their would be so much travel between the 2 nations same as here as we are an island too?

Probably not that much travel between the two countries given that they despise each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

China:

8 new cases on Friday
    11 new cases on Saturday
    25 new cases yesterday
    35 new cases right now

Are they facing a remission?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

People panic buying again this morning, shop I work in was quiet enough over the weekend but it's gone crazy again this morning. People ignoring the advice about keeping distance between people where possible and whole families in shopping. Can one parent not stay at home while the other gets the shopping?

I was in Lidl this morning and was no signs of panic buying was a few on but not enough to open a second till 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Hindsight, yes I kind of agree, but that have been realistically possible? Probably not.
    I know hinsight ....but many people were saying back then here at least.

Maybe if we had Dev in charge! ;)

Some countries did close borders before they had cases. Doesnt mean they dont already have it but it would surely curtail a large spread.

I love travelling but if at any stage I was told we couldnt go abroad for leisure reasons ever again for the sake of both the environment and humans health, it wouldnt bother me.

We've been living in a bubble of convienence for 50 or so years. Like a real bubble has a very thin shell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Boggles wrote: »
    Any further lockdown will come with notice I imagine.

My advice is instead of pasta, go get some DIY stuff, paint etc.

There will be long days ahead that will need filling. Tackle the jobs that you have been putting off.

Any further. You know what lockdown means yes. It is either it is or it isn't not stages.

Tordelback wrote: »
    The most hygiene-obsessed people in the world, with almost crushing pressure of social conformity, valued public service and a long history of dealing efficiently with appalling disasters that would have destroyed most nations? Who can tell.

Nice point, thought of that a few weeks back italy and ireland would be very community based as in wed always come in contact with randomers i was thinking japan would be more introverted than us? Not as sociable as here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I've volunteered to get redeployed to the HSE to do contact tracing calls. Just waiting to here when it will start etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

voluntary wrote: »
    China:

8 new cases on Friday
    11 new cases on Saturday
    25 new cases yesterday
    35 new cases right now

They are mainly imported cases....not community spread cases.

They are where we were last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Boooourns

They are not testing as much as they should and it's blatantly to do with the fact they are planning to have the Olympics in the Summer, its crazy stuff.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Syncpolice wrote: »
    What sort of timeframe before work shuts

This is important for those transitioning to welfare

I think it will all depend on the daily number of cases. If they start going through the roof, then I suspect next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Fics wrote: »
    Ringing insurance company to see about a flight refund approx a 40 min wait.

Wonder will cancellation due to my partner having holidays revoked due to needing all hands on deck be a valid reason ( healthcare worker )

Would have thought a global pandemic might have been a better excuse 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Nermal

voluntary wrote: »
    China:

8 new cases on Friday
    11 new cases on Saturday
    25 new cases yesterday
    35 new cases right now

This cannot be defeated with lockdowns. The low-risk population need to get infected, and as quick a rate as possible in such a way that deaths are minimised - not eliminated, minimised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Where would you quarantined all those people. Where would you have got all the people to monitor these people on an ongoing basis and why 4/6 weeks

Agreed. In the modern world it was never possible to stop it coming in once it had escaped China, it's slowing its spread within our communities that resources have to be focused on. Walls remain populist nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭1641

The Medical Council have issued guidance to doctors on prioritising treatment:

"Patients with the best chance of survival are to be prioritised as coronavirus overwhelms the health service, even where families disagree, the Medical Council has told doctors.

“In making decisions based on the principle of prioritising the use of scarce resources to treat those patients most likely to survive, more lives are likely to be preserved,” it has said."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-patients-with-best-chance-of-survival-to-be-prioritised-1.4203716

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

1 HOUR UNTIL COMPLETE LOCKDOWN AND THE MILITARY WELD YOU INTO YOUR SHED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

gazzer wrote: »
    I've volunteered to get redeployed to the HSE to do contact tracing calls. Just waiting to here when it will start etc

How did u do this? I could do this also, might distract me from my anxieties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Where would you quarantined all those people.

No problem. They could simply have been told to stay at home for two weeks and see if symptoms developed. They might have passed it onto immediate family members but that would have far more containable. We allowed them back to school & work and fell behind the curve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

You'd wonder do some people have their heads in the clouds or are too stupid to get how much things have changed-

Got one of those dodgy leaflets in door for clothes collection later in week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

appledrop wrote: »
    Doing a clear out of house today + found Irish Times article from February 29th. That's only 2 weeks ago.

Figures then for Italy was 655 confirmed cases + Spain was 25 cases .

Holy F@@k look at them both now.

Now imagine the past two weeks for their front line staff.

They must be physically and emotionally wrecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Does Coveny and vardkar think the public is crash test dummies

Serious information vacuum here

Coveny on the radio then saying WhatsApp rumours are nonsense

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I was in Lidl this morning and was no signs of panic buying was a few on but not enough to open a second till ��

I was talking to a buyer last night. The stocks are fine and the supply chain is fine. There is some lag time over very specific product (e.g. buttermilk) but the supermarkets are not going to run out of food. He is putting in very large orders every day. He did say that the supermarket staff are overworked and shattered. They've had to put up with a lot of 'Christmas Eves' in the past week. The panic buying was idiocy and shameful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Will there really a need for the army to aid in a lockdown?? You would swear Ireland will turn into a bunch of savages running amok on the streets just because we have been told to stay in.
    The amount of people who don't adhere to a lockdown will be tiny and you can nearly guarantee where abouts it will happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I think the mods need to start handing out bans to the posters that was posting fake news on here yesterday. Things are bad enough than having idiots posting nonsense in the effort to make people panic more..
    Any post that starts with "I hear" etc. Its just adding to the panic. Hence all the panic buying again today due to all the lockdown nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

tigger123 wrote: »
    1 HOUR UNTIL COMPLETE LOCKDOWN AND THE MILITARY WELD YOU INTO YOUR SHED

I know you are being sarky but no time for that, some people will take it seriously, cop on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement