Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Seamai wrote: »
    Have a colleague who wo has been off since the middle of last week, texts in this morning saying she is getting tested today. Now this same woman took over 50 sick days last year, including 20 days after a minor day procedure. This year alone she has already taken 12 days off, claiming in January she had pneumonia but the facts just didn't add up, she frequently pulls sickies on a Fridays and on top of all that she's a lazy bítch but the director seems to have a blind spot where she's concerned. Most of us had her sussed within a couple months. Any advice on how to deal with this situation?

Have you tried minding your own business??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Have a colleague who wo has been off since the middle of last week, texts in this morning saying she is getting tested today. Now this same woman took over 50 sick days last year, including 20 days after a minor day procedure. This year alone she has already taken 12 days off, claiming in January she had pneumonia but the facts just didn't add up, she frequently pulls sickies on a Fridays and on top of all that she's a lazy bítch but the director seems to have a blind spot where she's concerned. Most of us had her sussed within a couple months. Any advice on how to deal with this situation?

Be glad you're not her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    If you're living together then going for a walk together is no bigger risk, if your're not - Staying separate would make the most sense.
    Indeed. People do need to do normal things where possible as the effects on people's sense of well-being grows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

At this stage what does it matter. Just assume it is everywhere and act accordingly.

Exactly plenty of people will have it. Only mild symptoms and therefore won't be tested. Just follow the advice about social distancing no matter where in the country you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think there were a limited number of cases they could not explain. They are unsure what happened. That is just one possibility.

Agreed. But a possibility none the less which calls into question the uks herd mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Is he banging her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Call the army hotline and have them nuke her house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Syncpolice wrote: »
    The army doesn't have tanks

Can someone confirm

What kind of an army doesn't have tanks?! :pac: :D Oh I see, it's sort of like the police this country doesn't have. Sorry, it's just that I'm from a country where the police carries guns routinely and an army that has tanks and fighter jets.

Are all GP clinics closed now? Just asking because the one near me is. They're only doing video calls and have cancelled all routine appointments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Figures are irrelevant at this stage. What we need to see is the plateau and then drop off of new cases, whatever level that is. Months away I suspect.

figures are hugely important. it gives us measures to know if what we are doing is working or not.

and your post kinda says this - we need to see a plateau and fall in number prob won't happen for 2 weeks from last Friday but hopefully we due some luck too

YFlyer wrote: »
    Me hole Martin sticking around like an ole fart.
    For a while too as the likely next Taoiseach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Gael23 wrote: »
    If you have symptoms do you call 999 for the first responder testing? GPs dont seem to want you near them

WTF? NO!

DO NOT CALL 999 UNLESS IT IS AN EMERGENCY!

If you have mild symptoms then self isolate.
    If you have bad symptoms such as shortness of breath and high temperature then call your GP.
    If you have severely bad symptoms such as difficulty breathing at all then call 999.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Me hole Martin sticking around like an ole fart.

What's he saying

Usual old guff about examining all the circumstances surrounding the virus blah blah

Guy couldn't make a.decision to save his life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

On Pat Kenny now it is saying that there was children doing group training. Didn't the IRFU not contact all the clubs about training?

Irfu did contact all clubs. Ours had no training at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Myself and my friend are both stuck working from home and we were talking about going for a walk together at lunch time each day to get some air and get out of the house

Is this advisable or should we be walking alone if going out walking?

I would go for the walk. Risk of infection is minimal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Unfortunately, for this situation, the law protects sick people and it is very difficult to accuse her of spoofing without hard evidence. While assholes like her milk this protection (and do deserve bad karma IMO), it does hurt the morale of the other staff. Legal advice would be your best bet in order to deal with her. If you really wanted to, private investigators are legal and may assist with building a case against her.

Thread very carefully with that because if it went wrong it would be a sackable offence. for you, not her.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

Can someone confirm

No tanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

What kind of an army doesn't have tanks?! :pac: :D Oh I see, it's sort of like the police this country doesn't have. Sorry, it's just that I'm from a country where the police carries guns routinely and an army that has tanks and fighter jets.

Are all GP clinics closed now? Just asking because the one near me is. They're only doing video calls and have cancelled all routine appointments.

Fighter jets are very effective at fighting viruses and i wished i live in a countty where the po po could pop a cap in this covids ass! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

pawdee wrote: »
    No tanks.

You do need quite a lot of tanks for them to be of much use. One or two tanks you just avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

What's all this obsession about tanks anyway? Are we expecting armored JCBs driven out of Jobstown to be trundling down the streets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

is_that_so wrote: »
    For a while too as the likely next Taoiseach.

On the Pat Kenny Show the telecommunication gremlins were trying to cut him off yet he was still popping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

There seems to be 3 options:

1) Quarantine the world for a period and wipe out the virus.
    2) Each country vigorously fights recurring outbreaks over the next 12-18 months until vaccine or better treatment options available.
    3) We manage an outbreak, hopefully infecting very few high-risk people, hoping the virus doesn't mutate and once recovered a person has high resistance for a while, until a substantial portion of the population being resistant means that new infections don't have epidemic potential.

The problem as I see it is that (1) is impossible now (this disease is going to circulate around the world for years to come) and (3) even if it might technically be an option is political suicide, so (2) or slight variations of it is the only game in town for the foreseeable future.

It does seem that complete lockdown of a society for 6ish weeks will stop this thing, but what to do in May? As soon as more cases get brought in it we have to replay this 6 week lockdown, with perhaps 4-6 weeks of 'normality' in between until a vaccine is found. The problem with this is that economists will tell you that this is economic armageddon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

What's he saying

Usual old guff about examining all the circumstances surrounding the virus blah blah

Aye. Im not Leo, Coveney and Harris ect biggest fan but i think they are handling every thing very well. Clear concise information coming out regularly. I wouldn't want to see a change in leadership mid crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,177 ✭✭✭✭josip

Well Shay if you're not happy here, you know what you can do.
    Don't let the virus hit you on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Does Coveny and vardkar think the public is crash test dummies

Serious information vacuum here

Coveny on the radio then saying WhatsApp rumours are nonsense

:confused:

serious logic fail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Martin would be a disaster at this time. Far too indecisive to deal with something like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

can anyone explain why some countries seem to have very high initial death counts with the recovered figures rising later, while other countries are getting "recovered" cases much faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

University of Limerick said it could end up becoming an isolation unit if hospitals are overwhelmed. Expects to be closed until at least mid june.https://www.limerickpost.ie/2020/03/16/university-of-limerick-likely-to-become-location-for-covid-19-field-hospital-if-hospitals-become-overwhelmed/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

The UKs stance is being ripped apart on RTER1.

Weird times.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Can someone confirm

2 diesel tanks

2 petrol tanks.

1 tank of water.

3 fish tanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Unfortunately, for this situation, the law protects sick people and it is very difficult to accuse her of spoofing without hard evidence. While assholes like her milk this protection (and do deserve bad karma IMO), it does hurt the morale of the other staff. Legal advice would be your best bet in order to deal with her. If you really wanted to, private investigators are legal and may assist with building a case against her.

If OP is not an officer of the company / management this would tantamount to bullying in the workplace and would likely have more repercussions for OP than their colleague.
    If OP is relatively close to their manager highlighting it to them is essentially all that can be done.

People going on about how selfless Doctors and Nurses are: my outpatient appointment for next week has just been cancelled leaving my without essential medication which runs the risk of me ending up in A&E and being admitted to a hospital bed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

12 minutes of freedom left.

If the UK's approach is to make young healthy people get it, while other countries do the opposite, does that travel bans from the US for example for the rest of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

pH wrote: »
    There seems to be 3 options:

1) Quarantine the world for a period and wipe out the virus.
    2) Each country vigorously fights recurring outbreaks over the next 12-18 months until vaccine or better treatment options available.
    3) We manage an outbreak, hopefully infecting very few high-risk people, hoping the virus doesn't mutate and once recovered a person has high resistance for a while, until a substantial portion of the population being resistant means that new infections don't have epidemic potential.

The problem as I see it is that (1) is impossible now (this disease is going to circulate around the world for years to come) and (3) even if it might technically be an option is political suicide, so (2) or slight variations of it is the only game in town for the foreseeable future.

It does seem that complete lockdown of a society for 6ish weeks will stop this thing, but what to do in May? As soon as more cases get brought in it we have to replay this 6 week lockdown, with perhaps 4-6 weeks of 'normality' in between until a vaccine is found. The problem with this is that economists will tell you that this is economic armageddon.

Dont think eradicating the virus is impossible and likely the only viable option in the long term. Would take years tho

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

A few pubs in Limerick were clearly emplying a front "door cloosed, back door open" policy last night.

In addition, one other pub was like "Black Friday" on Friday night.

And people complain about the government having to close pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Martin would be a disaster at this time. Far too indecisive to deal with something like this.

He'd be great at commissioning some reports about reports on the virus though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

People going on about how selfless Doctors and Nurses are: my outpatient appointment for next week has just been cancelled leaving my without essential medication which runs the risk of me ending up in A&E and being admitted to a hospital bed

can you not get repeat perscription from your doctor. Unprecedented times..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Nijmegen wrote: »
    What's all this obsession about tanks anyway? Are we expecting armored JCBs driven out of Jobstown to be trundling down the streets?

The WhatsApp messages mention tanks.being.deployed during the CV alert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

froog wrote: »
    can anyone explain why some countries seem to have very high initial death counts with the recovered figures rising later, while other countries are getting "recovered" cases much faster?

I imagine its the same for most (besides variable in health care, population ages) but its all to do with test numbers. Eg Korea are testing loads of people so Death rate is below 1% while places like UK and France are now only testing really sick folks, do as a result the death rate looks way higher. When in reality they are same or similar

Knex. wrote: »
    Can someone with medical knowledge tell me how to feel about this, please.
    IMO(non-medical) it sound good! Here's another piece I linked to on what 's happening.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/15/coronavirus-treatment-could-coming-doctors-say-still-no-vaccine/5052788002/

Steer55 wrote: »
    can you not get repeat perscription from your doctor. Unprecedented times..
    Only from my consultant, not from my GP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Have a colleague who wo has been off since the middle of last week, texts in this morning saying she is getting tested today. Now this same woman took over 50 sick days last year, including 20 days after a minor day procedure. This year alone she has already taken 12 days off, claiming in January she had pneumonia but the facts just didn't add up, she frequently pulls sickies on a Fridays and on top of all that she's a lazy bh but the director seems to have a blind spot where she's concerned. Most of us had her sussed within a couple months. Any advice on how to deal with this situation?
    there will always be parasites like this in most workplaces. we have a few on our books, pathological liars in essence. just know that this behaviour is rarely restricted to their place of work and they are probably also nightmares for their families and social circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Can't they give you a prescription anyway? I got a message from GP saying they will handle repeat prescriptions via email. Can you email the consultant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What's he saying

The usual guff such as in regard of Cheltenham, schools, schools up North, mainly responding to Pat Kenny questions from the public. Was on for over 30 minutes. Was cut off twice yet came back yapping away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

As far as shopping today people need to realize tomorrow is a bank holiday.
    People in Ireland stock up for this day either ways.

On another note my neighbor shouted over the wall "at least it hasn't reached the Antarctic yet" they weren't messing she is a young lady snowflake generation.
    I really fear for our future generation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Nijmegen wrote: »

sinn Fein have all the jcbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Any views on the ibuprofen story from France?

Was it just 4 cases? A few cases and 3 months into this epidemic. How is that sufficient to tell people to avoid taking ibuprofen? Surely it is the best over the counter painkiller/NSAID to take if people develop breathing difficulties due to inflammation in the lungs. ??

Seems like a lot of the papers have run with it despite no actual evidence never mind proper studies. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement