Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

amazing how I can focus in on different things each day ... yesterday I was really worried about economic outcomes from all this, today I feel quite worried for me Dad, he's 72 and had heart surgery last year....

If he gets it, he's done for ...

No. If he gets it he was a higher chance he is done. Prob an 85%+survival chance

I wouldn’t just write him off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Volunteer.ie

He's better off staying home and not spreading it. Look at South Korea's testing results vs Italy's - huge numbers of asymptotic (or barely symptomatic) 0 to 35 year olds going around infected.

It's nice to want to help, but not spreading it is more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Lads what's the likelihood of a shutdown in Ireland do you guys think?

Atm I'm going to work in the office but I am aware that I'm putting those who I live with at risk (they are working from home).
    We're already on shutdown. The extent of the shutdown is open to change from day to day.

Here's a live cam of the Market in Rome... looks like it's going ahead today, stalls being set up right now >> https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/lazio/roma/campo-de-fiori.html

EDIT: Actually, the market could have been this morning and they're taking them down now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/SteadyImproving/status/1237527438176878593

dont know this isnt mentioned much.

but obesity is a leading cause.
    so improving diet & losing weight will help greatly to improve your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Septic tank

Atm I'm going to work in the office but I am aware that I'm putting those who I live with at risk (they are working from home).

Seems like it’s inevitable it will happen. Not really a question of if but when. I’d say it’s advisable to set up to work from home as best people can

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

hawkwing wrote: »
    Never heard of Eswatini but 1 misfortunate hoor has got it there too:(

Recently changed its name from Swaziland.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

BigMo1 wrote: »
    How many times a day do they update?

The Spanish main update is around 12:30 our time. Its all cases over 24 hours. Previous updates are regional updates or the sum of a number of regions.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Total shutdown very very likely. As to when is the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

kclr96fm.com/six-american-tourists-who-stayed-at-hibernian-hotel-in-kilkenny-had-coronavirus/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That's because until a couple of years ago it was called Swaziland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Apparently next week if figures are bad, according to here

Lot of people will be looking for UB if.that happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The artist formerly known as Swaziland. Daring re-brand, but they're on the map now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Simon Harris saying to Sky News that he is not at all envisaging border checks between ROI and NI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

+806 in Spain so far today ... only 12.20

dear god

We should really have a tests completed to new cases rate, its hard to know how bad things really are getting if we cant compare them to how much testing is being done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

wadacrack wrote: »
    kclr96fm.com/six-american-tourists-who-stayed-at-hibernian-hotel-in-kilkenny-had-coronavirus/
    when did they stay there? are they still in the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Total shutdown very very likely. As to when is the debate.

Didn't Leo mention last week about recalling the Senate to enact emergency legislation no later than this Thursday? I can't keep up anymore.

A lot.of people flying around this morning trying to get ahead of the ****down

Esp construction

Some businesses I'd say working round the clock don't give 2 fukks about korona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

+806 in Spain so far today ... only 12.20

dear god

And are we going to take home the Irish that were over there on their hols ?
    Naggdefy wrote: »
    Just heard a rumour, from a creditable source, that all online discussion boards are being shut down. It's feared mis information could cause panic among the population.

In major towns and cities relaxing Ennio Morricone music will be played on loudspeaker along with other music from the ambient genre.

Speaking of Ennio the guy is pushing on over 90 and still lives in Italy.

What songs will we sing along to like the Italians when in lockdown?

I bet it will be versions of "Fields of Athenry", "You''ll never walk alone" and Ole Ole Ole.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭NuttKicker

BigMo1 wrote: »
    How many times a day do they update?
    Each county seems to do it differently, worldometer seems to reset at midnight, then you will see the Asian figures coming in first, Spain seem to update a few times during the day, Italy updates once per day, at approx 6-7, Irish update has been just before 6, assume in time for 6 o'clock news

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SteadyImproving/status/1237527438176878593

dont know this isnt mentioned much.

but obesity is a leading cause.
    so improving diet & losing weight will help greatly to improve your chances.
    I'm quite sure being obese will be a factor in illness and severity of illness, but having finally watched yer man on Joe Rogan he seems to be throwing out a lot of conjecture and appears to be one of those we can't avoid it/herd immunity types. The fact is at this stage we don't actually know yet what's what.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Reminds me of the joke from the 80's whereby someone went to the bus station looking for a ticket to Jeopardy, as he heard there were hundreds of jobs there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

when did they stay there? are they still in the country?

Six American tourists who stayed at the Hibernian Hotel in Kilkenny had contracted Coronavirus.

A statement from the hotel says they received a call on Saturday night that six members of an American student group who stayed in the hotel for one night had contracted Covid-19 virus.

The statement went on to say:

It was the tour guide who informed the hotel of this, not the HSE.

We tried making contact with the HSE and subsequently followed the advised process on contacting staff and other protocols.

This incident, as well as adhering to the Government restrictions on groups of 100, and the necessary social distance spacing requirements combined in a small hotel like the Hibernian meant that the risk to employee and public health was too great so we started the planning process on Saturday night to close the hotel.

The hotel closed after guests had checked out on Sunday.

The hotel will remain closed until the 30th of March.

https://kclr96fm.com/six-american-tourists-who-stayed-at-hibernian-hotel-in-kilkenny-had-coronavirus/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

G1032 wrote: »
    Where can I see these updates?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Pos087 wrote: »
    My parents live in Spain half the year and returned to Ireland this week. Not all people are comin back from holidays. My parents are old and scared and wanted to be near their family. Blind anger at certain groups is not helpful either

Mine are the same. They happened to be out there before the sh*t hit the fan. At the moment they face the agonising decision of whether to stay or leave. Their experience of the healtcare system there is that it is a thousand times better than ours and the Spanish government are not talking about denying people medical intervention on the basis that they are old and unproductive. There are far stricter measures in place to enforce lockdown and generally people seem to be respecting public health guidelines unlike here where we have gobsh*tes going out having covid parties and behaving recklessly.

Plus their house is in a quiet area, not too many people around and they can isolate quite comfortably there.

Its decision time as if they want to leave it will have to be by Thursday. Being in his 70s and with underlying conditions, my dad said a packed airport is the worst place to be and he fancies his chances in spain. Im terrified they will catch it and be alone :(

OH and i are expecting their first grandchild soon and there is every chance they wont be here for that. I cant even think about the possibility of them never meeting her...

I know the rational choice is probably for them to stay but I just want to be able to look after them. The thought they could get it and be by themselves and so far away is tearing me in two.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm quite sure being obese will be a factor in illness and severity of illness, but having finally watched yer man on Joe Rogan he seems to be throwing out a lot of conjecture and appears to be one of those we can't avoid it/herd immunity types. The fact is at this stage we don't actually know yet what's what.
    We can't avoid it. Ultimately it will come down to herd immunity. What we are trying to do now is slow it down so that the number of new cases per day is still manageable by the health services. Once the health services become overwhelmed the vulnerable will have a far lesser chance of survival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Don’t believe everything you read on WhatsApp, pal, might be a start.

Tongue firmly in cheek Wokey Baby xo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

jmayo wrote: »
    And are we going to take home the Irish that were over there on their hols ?

Speaking of Ennio the guy is pushing on over 90 and still lives in Italy.

What songs will we sing along to like the Italians when in lockdown?

I bet it will be versions of "Fields of Athenry", "You''ll never walk alone" and Ole Ole Ole.

Ireland's Call....

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Pat Kenny just now - 'coming up next, how, to stay fit, in your KITCHEN'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

circadian wrote: »
    Didn't Leo mention last week about recalling the Senate to enact emergency legislation no later than this Thursday? I can't keep up anymore.

Simply put.... no he didn't. He did say he could get additional legislation through if needed, there was no deadline set. You may be confusing with the deadline for people to return home from spain (Thursday midnight), because of uncertainty about european air restrictions after that time.

• Advertisement

Scotty # wrote: »
    We can't avoid it. Ultimately it will come down to herd immunity. What we are trying to do now is slow it down so that the number of new cases per day is still manageable by the health services. Once the health services become overwhelmed the vulnerable will have a far lesser chance of survival.

You an expert or just copy/paste this same stuff like everyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

A second doctor in Bergamo has died , she was 58 yo, her mother also died of coronavirus two weeks prior . https://www.ilmessaggero.it/italia/coronavirus_bergamo_morti_ostetrica_ivana_valoti_morta_ultime-5114005.html
    Absolutely horrific what is happening in Italy

Syncpolice wrote: »
    Just educated. You should try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Prenders leeside is playing a blinder. Cork is rallying big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Can't see that this has been covered already, if so, apologies, but I need to vent.

Just back from shopping trip for bread mixes. Local Tesco has had the bright idea of limiting number in store at any one time, a security man letting them in in small groups. That's when the light bulb went out.

The inevitable happened, 40-50 people jostling around in a close bunch, no attempt being made to get orderly spaced queue in place.

Apparently it's not only the government that can't do joined up thinking.

It's called flattening the curve. I'm pretty certain most people are familiar with this theory and approach by now. The only government in Europe that is proactively not taking this approach currently is the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Is the country going into complete shut down for two weeks or is that all nonsense ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's a useful skill on an insanely fast-moving thread and the same questions pop up over and over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Heckler wrote: »
    Prenders leeside is playing a blinder. Cork is rallying big time.

Wow thanks for all the detail.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Mine are the same. They happened to be out there before the sh*t hit the fan. At the moment they face the agonising decision of whether to stay or leave. Their experience of the healtcare system there is that it is a thousand times better than ours and the Spanish government are not talking about denying people medical intervention on the basis that they are old and unproductive. There are far stricter measures in place to enforce lockdown and generally people seem to be respecting public health guidelines unlike here where we have gobsh*tes going out having covid parties and behaving recklessly.

Plus their house is in a quiet area, not too many people around and they can isolate quite comfortably there.

Its decision time as if they want to leave it will have to be by Thursday. Being in his 70s and with underlying conditions, my dad said a packed airport is the worst place to be and he fancies his chances in spain. Im terrified they will catch it and be alone :(

OH and i are expecting their first grandchild soon and there is every chance they wont be here for that. I cant even think about the possibility of them never meeting her...

I know the rational choice is probably for them to stay but I just want to be able to look after them. The thought they could get it and be by themselves and so far away is tearing me in two.

Even if they were just up the road you can't really look after them without putting them at risk. They are probably best where they are for all the reasons you outlined above.

My parents are 20 mins away from me and I have to do all my contact now by text, phone and video call. Even if I feel well, I would be putting them at risk if I visit, as I could have it and not even know. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Cupatae wrote: »
    Is the country going into complete shut down for two weeks or is that all nonsense ?
    Nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Check your 5-a-side group chat for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

No proof but hardly inconceivable considering whats happening in neighbouring countries , some with fewer cases than ourselves

Nothing official so nonsense at this point. Something could come further down the line but in the current climate its anyone's guess, and there seems to be a lot of people guessing and making full declarations on those guesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Shn99 wrote: »
    Simon Harris saying to Sky News that he is not at all envisaging border checks between ROI and NI

Places being closed will probably reduce the numbers anyway, but it would be nice if they could encourage people not to cross the border. The UK has a strategy, Ireland has a strategy, they're incompatible.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's a useful skill on an insanely fast-moving thread and the same questions pop up over and over!

He said it like he was an expert in the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well we cant without a lockdown which he says is the best measure.

So he isnt a herd immunity type.
    Heart disease is the biggest factor in becoming critical.

Some people need to lose weight asap. Simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭obi604

I know pubs and schools have been closed.

Have restaurants been officially closed?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So what happened to the magical 11am army filled lockdown :D

The amount of guff going around is hilarious.

Screamer is a dreamer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

obi604 wrote: »
    I know pubs and schools have been closed.

Have restaurants been officially closed?

Officially no but most are closing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement