Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Numbers on Wednesday may be very high due to backlog.
    Friend was tested on Saturday and told results will be given today. He rang and they said there’s a backlog so results will be given on Wednesday. Not sure if all weekend results will be given on Wednesday or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Did you even read the post!

Also - that looks very similar to what happens every time i text a woman so to see a pictorial representation of it has both angered and upset me

Stop sending them pictures of your mickey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Can I just say shutdown is NOT a bad thing!!!

I am in spain, working from home, can go out to shops and get things, panic buying seems to have passed, plenty of food in the shops - people are being socially responsible , most shops only allow one or 2 in at a time people q with good spacing outside the shop.

It is awful for the cabin fever and mental health but this has to slow the spread.
    People should be happy when Ireland announce it - not panic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Antares35 wrote: »
    To be honest I cant even remember now but there was some talk about having to make decisions on who would get ICU beds if there is a shortage.

That will happen in spain too if they run out.
    It's happening in Italy due to a lack of ventilators sadly.
    I don't think anybody doing it lightly or because people are old. It's a hard choice of who has the best chance of being saved.
    Hopefully Ireland doesn't come to this - but this is why the "flattening the curve" mantra is so important

I hope your parents are ok and stay safe.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Stop sending them pictures of your mickey.

Should I send them pictures of someone elses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,537 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

INMO Trolley Watch figures below for March 16th 2020

https://www.inmo.ie/Trolley_Ward_Watch

Irish hospitals only 35 beds short today.

must be a record low for this time of year !

From 600 a few months ago, does the virus cure some illnesses like stupidity :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

http://www.openculture.com/2020/03/quarantined-italians-send-a-message-to-themselves.html

Not really that surprising but I am thinking there are many who will only understand once things get worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Infairness to the what's app message a two week completely lockdown , to break the back of the spread and stop hospitals being over run , had made more sense than any of the ****e being spouted on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 16 March 2020

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-2020-03-16.png?itok=GqyCImQQ

Big jump in daily cases from Europe today at 08:00. to nearly 12,000/day

No figures from Italy yesterday... perhaps they were too busy to even bother counting.

Horrific situation there !

Larger view of barchart here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Syncpolice wrote: »
    Some people are still at work

Unless you are in an essential service you may not be for too much longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

pH wrote: »
    Here's the problem with this:
    Ireland has around 250 ICU beds. But let's be generous and say that somehow we get that number up to 500 and they aren't needed for anything else apart from cov-19 cases. Let's also be extremely optimistic and say that each person needs the bed for only 10 day, this means that a theoretically highly stretched Irish health service could cope with 50 new covid-19 cases per day (in a highly unrealistic scenario where the beds are being used for just this)

We also know that that for a population like we have somewhere around 5% of cases will need this type of intensive care. Which means that again, in theory we could have 1,000 people a day being infected and 'barely' cope. This would still lead to around 1% 'unavoidable' mortality rate, but we as a society would not be letting anyone die unnecessarily.

So estimates for herd immunity vary, but 70% is not unreasonable ie. 3,400,000 people based on the current pop of Ireland. So you can see that those advocating 'flattening the curve' to keep corona virus below the capacity of the health service, if they were being honest would be talking about a period of 3,400 days (ie just short of 10 years) until this 'herd immunity' is reached. This would be 10 years of continual lock-down (slow virus transmission scenarios) which is clearly nonsense.
    You are right, but we're hoping we have a vaccine and better treatment meds by then.

I think(hope!) we're prepping for many multiplies of the ICU units we currently have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Stay in and stay safe... you will be told when anything changes. Stay off social media and stick to official sources. Get to know when the daily press conferences are held and you will find out at the same time as everyone else. hse.ie is all you need to know.

Ahem! Is boards.ie not a form of social media?? Bit of a double standard!

Agree in principle but once you filter through the rubbish, social media is a useful source of information. Information that the HSE are not providing so far, in their efforts to manage the news.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Cupatae wrote: »
    So basically because we're a bunch of apes that can do what were told were gonna spread the ****e out of this virus... Unreal what a nation..

Yes Irish people are shyte at doing what they are told.
    There is that rebellious streak there.
    Now that can be a good thing and a bad thing especially at times like this.

Just look at Temple Bar over the last week.

Then again it is not just the Irish that have difficulty following some instructions.
    In the US the governor of Illinois, mayor of Hoboken, New Jersey forcibly closed pubs and restuarants because asking people to socially distance themselves was simply not working.
    Yes I'd say so.

https://www.thejournal.ie/cheery-orchard-garda-incident-5047312-Mar2020/

Do you really think people in these areas are going to follow any instructions issued?

What a charming bunch.
    A pity this virus doesn't target scrotes and scumbags rather than elderly and already sick. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I would have prefered we d stopped humans travelling in/quarrantined 4/6 weeks ago. At least then the country could have some sort of normality. Keep the virus out instead of dealing with it.
    It wouldn't have worked - the border with Northern Ireland is impossible to close.

• Advertisement

Some barbers have closed already such as Grafton barbers

https://graftonbarbers.com/

They’ll be run on hair clippers soon I’d say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭celt262

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Numbers on Wednesday may be very high due to backlog.
    Friend was tested on Saturday and told results will be given today. He rang and they said there’s a backlog so results will be given on Wednesday. Not sure if all weekend results will be given on Wednesday or not.

Could that be a tactic to justify a shut down once all the flights are back from Spain etc on Thursday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Feed the heroes on newstalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

Ireland has around 250 ICU beds. But let's be generous and say that somehow we get that number up to 500 and they aren't needed for anything else apart from cov-19 cases. Let's also be extremely optimistic and say that each person needs the bed for only 10 day, this means that a theoretically highly stretched Irish health service could cope with 50 new severe covid-19 cases per day (in a highly unrealistic scenario where the beds are being used for just this)

We also know that that for a population like we have somewhere around 5% of cases will need this type of intensive care. Which means that again, in theory we could have 1,000 people a day being infected and 'barely' cope. This would still lead to around 1% 'unavoidable' mortality rate, but we as a society would not be letting anyone die unnecessarily.

So estimates for herd immunity vary, but 70% is not unreasonable ie. 3,400,000 people based on the current pop of Ireland. So you can see that those advocating 'flattening the curve' to keep corona virus below the capacity of the health service, if they were being honest would be talking about a period of 3,400 days (ie just short of 10 years) until this 'herd immunity' is reached. This would be 10 years of continual lock-down (slow virus transmission scenarios) which is clearly nonsense.

Vaccine will be available next year, i suspect even earlier, herd immunity won't kick in at all. Slowing it down is buying time, it may even be suppressed altogether in a few months, but every country needs go on lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Agreed

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We are getting the new forum up and running now

It can be accessed here and will become a sub-forum of Current Affairs

I'm going to start moving threads over but I will leave this one where it is for now. I may re-open one or two that I previously closed

The CA Charter applies over there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

paw patrol wrote: »
    That will happen in spain too if they run out.
    It's happening in Italy due to a lack of ventilators sadly.
    I don't think anybody doing it lightly or because people are old. It's a hard choice of who has the best chance of being saved.
    Hopefully Ireland doesn't come to this - but this is why the "flattening the curve" mantra is so important

I hope your parents are ok and stay safe.,

Whatever about us the UK definitely will due to Boris` herd immunity ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

godson / nephew of mine...16...very sick today...sick since Saturday night but awful bad today....huge fever and coughing...dry cough too....seemingly someone coming out to test him today and it'll be two days for results
    a young fella whos never sick ..not a pick of fat on him.. does a lot of boxing and football.
    facetimed him there and was shocked how he looked, face swollen and sweaty...hes in bed and has no energy at all.

may not be it at all....but its just hes never sick and has these symptoms at this time.

his family have been told to self isolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Bob24 wrote: »
    Below is a leaked email...

GO AWAY!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

3 medical professionals from France, Denmark and Spain on Sky news earlier were none to complimentary of the UK's choice. Basically called it madness and said it was a worry having such a hotspot just across the channel. If thats what they're saying on British TV what are they saying in European council meetings. Briatain also withdrew itself from being involved in the daily health ministers briefings. What the fcuk are they at. Why would you refuse priceless info at a time like this

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

1641 wrote: »
    There was an article in one of yesterday's papers to the effect that, after the 2009 flu pandemic, most insurance companies added a clause to specifically exclude global pandemics from corporate cover. It said that before WHO officially declared a pandemic last week companies might have an arguable, but difficult, argument for cover but this would have disappeared with the WHO declaration.
    Well spotted. This is all designed to screw the little people.

Can I just say shutdown is NOT a bad thing!!!

I am in spain, working from home, can go out to shops and get things, panic buying seems to have passed, plenty of food in the shops - people are being socially responsible , most shops only allow one or 2 in at a time people q with good spacing outside the shop.

It is awful for the cabin fever and mental health but this has to slow the spread.
    People should be happy when Ireland announce it - not panic!
    Total opposite here at the moment H, once they set foot in the door of the shop with the whole family in tow it's a free for all. Tannoy announcements are being made to remind people to stay 2m apart but no one is doing it. People getting as close as they can to staff to ask questions etc. Coughing everywhere without covering their mouth, everything they are not supposed to be doing basically.

jmayo wrote: »

Then again it is not just the Irish that have difficulty following some instructions.
    In the US the governor of Illinois, mayor of Hoboken, New Jersey forcibly closed pubs and restuarants because asking people to socially distance themselves was simply not working.

What a charming bunch.
    A pity this virus doesn't target scrotes and scumbags rather than elderly and already sick. :rolleyes:

I think to be out doing ****e like that it isn't a culture thing it's a bunch of selfish simpletons, that haven't the brains to comprehend what's going on around em.

• Advertisement

If the announcement does come tomorrow, remember all the Journalists like this one who are lying to you

Screen-Shot-2020-03-15-at-22-28-08.png

OK just starting into the thread as I decided last night to take a break and I'm done now with this one at 11 pages by my settings.

What ever about journalists, people posting ****e on whatsapp etc should be shot at with balls of ****e.

Also noticed that people who tend to come of as a bit of a dick in other threads are just ramping up this impression on these threads.

I'm sure that people probably think the same of me for posting this, but hey I am sure that you don't care what I think and I don't care what you think about me.

Stay safe and look after yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Ireland has around 250 ICU beds. But let's be generous and say that somehow we get that number up to 500 and they aren't needed for anything else apart from cov-19 cases. Let's also be extremely optimistic and say that each person needs the bed for only 10 day, this means that a theoretically highly stretched Irish health service could cope with 50 new severe covid-19 cases per day (in a highly unrealistic scenario where the beds are being used for just this)

Herd immunity only applies when the recovered have a sufficient quantities antibodies present, and those antibodies have a sufficient life span to resist the the subsequent transmissions.

Whether that is going to be the case with COVID-19 is very much an open question based on currently available evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

jmayo wrote: »

What a charming bunch.

Were the biggest bunch of yes men in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

threeball wrote: »
    Briatain also withdrew itself from being involved in the daily health ministers briefings. What the fcuk are they at. Why would you refuse priceless info at a time like this

Taking back control, innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

Sound mathematics.

But I think 5% ICU from the low-risk population is a significant overestimate.

Regardless - we need to get the number of ICU beds up to 5,000, not 500. At the same time, controls on the low-risk population need to be relaxed, and enforced more strongly on the high-risk population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Should I chance getting a haircut tomorrow?

You're going to get a financial one anyway very soon, so why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Spain 9191 cases 309 death at 1 pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SteadyImproving/status/1237527438176878593

dont know this isnt mentioned much.

but obesity is a leading cause.
    so improving diet & losing weight will help greatly to improve your chances.

he doesnt say that is a leading cause....

He says it will be the major factor in the US as there is a high incidence of obesity which is an underlying health condition most people dont think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Anyone over 80 needing hospital treatment basically gets a death sentence at the moment in Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

About food

Its fine saying supply lines are good but people are going to be stocking up so they will not have to leave home for the worst 10/15 days.
    This worst 10/15 day period may not start until another 10/15 days??? So a family of 5 are gonna need a lot of grub to be sure to get through the worst period. Also families are only now realising how much the actually eat when everyone is home for every meal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

he doesnt say that is a leading cause....

He says it will be the major factor in the US as there is a high incidence of obesity which is an underlying health condition most people dont think of.

Yeah, obesity usually goes hand in hand with blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

What about keeping as many people alive as possible until a vaccine is rushed through or effective anit-viral treatments are found?.....one of the problems I have with the UK approach is how do they know their health service wont be overwhelmed in the short term with their strategy leading to many needless deaths....that "scientific" advice better be bang on........at least trying to slow the spread of thing seems correct intuitively...they mess this up you could see serious social unrest over there.......to me it seems like isolating the over seventies was an afterthought

I'd imagine there will be a lot of emphasis and investment involved in both vaccine and treatments that would see them get through testing/trial and certification much much faster than usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Vaccine will be available next year, i suspect even earlier, herd immunity won't kick in at all. Slowing it down is buying time, it may even be suppressed altogether in a few months, but every country needs go on lockdown

Agreed !

But we are trying to limit the number of infected people in order to help our older and more fragile citizens.

Meanwhile the UK are trying to infect 60% of their population on the other side of the border, chasing this mythical 'Herd Immunity'.

Unbelievable... the virus does not respect borders.

Ba$tards !

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

celt262 wrote: »
    Could that be a tactic to justify a shut down once all the flights are back from Spain etc on Thursday?

Good point I would imagine you are correct on that one.

Although not sure if all weekends results will be on Wednesday or just Saturdays.
    Possibly means that tonight’s results are from Friday's testing ? Just speculating here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Gael23 wrote: »
    Anyone over 80 needing hospital treatment basically gets a death sentence at the moment in Italy.

yea, seemingly the doctors have been instructed to prioritise younger patients with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

dougm1970 wrote: »
    godson / nephew of mine...16...very sick today...sick since Saturday night but awful bad today....huge fever and coughing...dry cough too....seemingly someone coming out to test him today and it'll be two days for results
    a young fella whos never sick ..not a pick of fat on him.. does a lot of boxing and football.
    facetimed him there and was shocked how he looked, face swollen and sweaty...hes in bed and has no energy at all.

may not be it at all....but its just hes never sick and has these symptoms at this time.

Hope he pulls through all fine. I heard a GP from the UK on the radio yesterday. She had contracted the virus while in America a few weeks ago. She described what the illness was like. Basically her body felt on fire, the cough hurt and she was just bedridden with a complete lack of appetite. She said it was hard to describe as the symptoms were similar to seasonal flu but much more intense. She said the worst of it lasted 3 days and she still has muscle aches for a few days afterwards.

She didn't suffer respiratory issues that some others do but what she described would be what's considered mild. Largely because we have absolutely no immunity to it then even the fittest and healthiest are going to feel absolutely awful if they catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

dougm1970 wrote: »

Hope it's not covid-19 but if it is, the fact that he's young and fit may help. Plus teh fact that the services should not be over-stretched at these early days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Scotty # wrote: »
    GO AWAY!!!!

Personal source which I trust. Consistant with publicly available information. And it is easy to check my track record on Covid-19 threads as not being the type to spread incorrect information and having understood the situation at the early stages (which is why I posted this, I would;t have without a previous track record). But now people are free to believe it or not (I am pretty sure the measures I mention will be confirmed by official announcements in France within the next 2 days - probably at the presidential speech on TV tonight).

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Nibs05

About food

Its fine saying supply lines are good but people are going to be stocking up so they will not have to leave home for the worst 10/15 days.
    This worst 10/15 day period may not start until another 10/15 days??? So a family of 5 are gonna need a lot of grub to be sure to get through the worst period. Also families are only now realising how much the actually eat when everyone is home for every meal...

There will be no shortage of food, even today in Rome a market was taking place, shops are open, there are just procedures like safe distances etc, everything will be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

Total opposite here at the moment H, once they set foot in the door of the shop with the whole family in tow it's a free for all. Tannoy announcements are being made to remind people to stay 2m apart but no one is doing it. People getting as close as they can to staff to ask questions etc. Coughing everywhere without covering their mouth, everything they are not supposed to be doing basically.

Where is this you are talking about. Because it's nothing I have seen

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement