Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

About food

Its fine saying supply lines are good but people are going to be stocking up so they will not have to leave home for the worst 10/15 days.
    This worst 10/15 day period may not start until another 10/15 days??? So a family of 5 are gonna need a lot of grub to be sure to get through the worst period. Also families are only now realising how much the actually eat when everyone is home for every meal...

Someone will still be allowed out to shop even during the worst period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭dougm1970

circadian wrote: »
    Hope he pulls through all fine. I heard a GP from the UK on the radio yesterday. She had contracted the virus while in America a few weeks ago. She described what the illness was like. Basically her body felt on fire, the cough hurt and she was just bedridden with a complete lack of appetite. She said it was hard to describe as the symptoms were similar to seasonal flu but much more intense. She said the worst of it lasted 3 days and she still has muscle aches for a few days afterwards.

She didn't suffer respiratory issues that some others do but what she described would be what's considered mild. Largely because we have absolutely no immunity to it then even the fittest and healthiest are going to feel absolutely awful if they catch it.

yea...hes same...wont eat either.
    thanks for reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Cupatae wrote: »
    Is the country going into complete shut down for two weeks or is that all nonsense ?

For the last time even if they wanted to do it they don't have the numbers. It will be all be about self discipline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭paul71

About food

Its fine saying supply lines are good but people are going to be stocking up so they will not have to leave home for the worst 10/15 days.
    This worst 10/15 day period may not start until another 10/15 days??? So a family of 5 are gonna need a lot of grub to be sure to get through the worst period. Also families are only now realising how much the actually eat when everyone is home for every meal...

And supply lines still not interrupted. I heard nothing about interruptions to harvest last July August September which is the wheat we are eating now.

Cows are still being milked this morning. Cattle are still eating grass so whats the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

NIMAN wrote: »
    Someone will still be allowed out to shop even during the worst period.

I think the point is that they want to be able to avoid the shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Macron will speak at 20.00
    Some papers report that he will impose in France a 45 days lockdown and a curfew at 18.00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Nermal wrote: »
    Sound mathematics.

But I think 5% ICU from the low-risk population is a significant overestimate.

Regardless - we need to get the number of ICU beds up to 5,000, not 500. At the same time, controls on the low-risk population need to be relaxed, and enforced more strongly on the high-risk population.

Given the age and health make-up of our population overall 5% requiring ICU treatment is a reasonable estimate. But I agree if you could just get the low-risk population infected in a short period of time while strongly protecting older and vulnerable people at the same time, this would seem at least technically a valid way of solving the problem, except it's political suicide to propose it, as we can see with people's response to the UK proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

No one is gonna die here due to famine...
    A lot of people accumulated fat along years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Nibs05 wrote: »
    There will be no shortage of food, even today in Rome a market was taking place, shops are open, there are just procedures like safe distances etc, everything will be ok.

If you’re self isolating because someone at home has the virus you CAN’T go to any market or shop. That’s why people are stocking up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Unless you are in an essential service you may not be for too much longer.

I deffo work for a non essential company but we have been told we are remaining open no matter what and that lockdown can’t legally stop us from closing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

About food

You will still be allowed go to the shops ffs, even in Spain and Italy people are still allowed buy food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

pH wrote: »
    Given the age and health make-up of our population overall 5% requiring ICU treatment is a reasonable estimate. But I agree if you could just get the low-risk population infected in a short period of time while strongly protecting older and vulnerable people at the same time, this would seem at least technically a valid way of solving the problem, except it's political suicide to propose it, as we can see with people's response to the UK proposals.

That's the big worry - our politicians are more worried how the proposals are going to play with the facebook morons and social media experts.

The UK are actually making the tough decisions that will benefit them longterm.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Nibs05

If you’re self isolating because someone at home has the virus you CAN’T go to any market or shop. That’s why people are stocking up.
    There are people offering services to help out in these situations, someone else can go and leave the food by the door then call to say it’s there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

I work as an electrician currently on a very large project in clonee. We would be indoors but not necessarily in very close proximity to each other. No sign of site shut down yet. My partner is in remission for lymphoma and her mother has breast cancer. Partner went through heavy heavy treatment in second half of 2018.

For anyone with knowledge of these big sites what would you do. I'm very nervous of going back there particularly with the toilets and canteen situations. They are good by site standards but still so many people using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Can I just say shutdown is NOT a bad thing!!!

I am in spain, working from home, can go out to shops and get things, panic buying seems to have passed, plenty of food in the shops - people are being socially responsible , most shops only allow one or 2 in at a time people q with good spacing outside the shop.

It is awful for the cabin fever and mental health but this has to slow the spread.
    People should be happy when Ireland announce it - not panic!

I was reading your post earlier hope you dad stays well,in Ireland at the moment is a real attitude that it's grand,if people just followed there would be no need for a complete shoot down.
    As far as the economy goes I've stopped worrying also.
    The ECB and EU are responding more rationally than say America.
    Reacting now to the virus and the current situation rather than save the stock market.
    There going down the road or stimulus to reboot the European economy when we have flatten the curve in all the union

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

That's the big worry - our politicians are more worried how the proposals are going to play with the facebook morons and social media experts.

What decisions and how will they benefit the UK in the long term?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

No one is talking about not treating the old and unproductive. The Irish Medical Council has issued advise to doctors that if the medical services are overwhelmed patients more likely to survive may have to be prioritised.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-patients-with-best-chance-of-survival-to-be-prioritised-1.4203716%3fmode=amp

The Spanish equivalents have had similar discussions or if they have not will have to do it informally on the front line. It has happened to a great extent already in Italy.

Patients more likely to survive are likely to be younger ones. I think they are better off taking their chances with the Spanish health system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Looks like Temple Bar is pretty lively again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

amacca wrote: »
    What about keeping as many people alive as possible until a vaccine is rushed through or effective anit-viral treatments are found?.....one of the problems I have with the UK approach is how do they know their health service wont be overwhelmed in the short term with their strategy leading to many needless deaths....that "scientific" advice better be bang on........at least trying to slow the spread of thing seems correct intuitively...they mess this up you could see serious social unrest over there.......to me it seems like isolating the over seventies was an afterthought

I'd imagine there will be a lot of emphasis and investment involved in both vaccine and treatments that would see them get through testing/trial and certification much much faster than usual?

The best guess would be a workable vaccine sometime early 2021, with perhaps discoveries related to current anti-viral drugs that may significantly reduce the mortality rate for at risk patients.

Given it's going to take about 6 weeks of serious lockdown to eradicate an outbreak of this in a region, and that once you relax the lockdown and travel restrictions it's likely to be back within another 6 weeks, it looks like the 'best-case' scenario is a 6 week on and off lockdowns until early 2020 when hopefully mass vaccination can take place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

except it's political suicide to propose it, as we can see with people's response to the UK proposals.

In fairness given their track record for the past couple of years and seemingly every other country around them pursuing a different containment/delay based strategy its hard to trust them

I think even if it works they are ****ing everyone around them up ..... to get some sort of headstart on economic recovery......I cant see much international goodwill in the short term anyway....if they follow a divergent path then I could see little travel or trade (over and above essential) taking place between UK and neighbours- where is the economic recovery then.....I think its better to be with the herd than going for herd immunity alone.

If it doesnt work my heart goes out to their citizens that could possibly die needlessly over boneheaded nubris/arrogance/pride

that "scientific" advice better be bang on! and even if its correct a couple of months or more have to elapse to prove it....thats a long long time

https://twitter.com/iandonald_psych/status/1238518371651649538

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jumping Davey

What is the process when people in a work place get infected, there is a factory which has two positive cases in Cavan and it seems to be working away like normal.

As is should there be a full deep clean and persons who work next to them self isolating?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

eggy81 wrote: »
    I work as an electrician currently on a very large project in clonee. We would be indoors but not necessarily in very close proximity to each other. No sign of site shut down yet. My partner is in remission for lymphoma and her mother has breast cancer. Partner went through heavy heavy treatment in second half of 2018.

For anyone with knowledge of these big sites what would you do. I'm very nervous of going back there particularly with the toilets and canteen situations. They are good by site standards but still so many people using them.

If you have a work van or travel in a car,
    Take turns and have you lunch there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Local Centra has put yellow tape down 2 meters apart at the tills to encourage social distancing.

Why is Cheltenham being singled out??

There are 70,000 people a day at Cheltenham, an outdoor event.

There are around 70,000 people an hour on the tube, an enclosed area.

Why aren't tourists who visited London getting shit???

Good old Irish begrudgery. Just being pedantic here, but the figure was closer to 60,000 each day.

Personally, I feel that shutting down the country at this stage is too late. That horse has already bolted.

• Advertisement

Yeah but what tough decisions are the UK making and why are they better in the long term?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭threeball

Agreed !

But we are trying to limit the number of infected people in order to help our older and more fragile citizens.

Meanwhile the UK are trying to infect 60% of their population on the other side of the border, chasing this mythical 'Herd Immunity'.

Unbelievable... the virus does not respect borders.

Ba$tards !

Even if the herd immunity worked, you still need to slow the virus to give the NHS a chance to keep those that need treatment treated. But they haven't done that and I hope those that made that decisions face the consequences of it at some future date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

The UK are making decisions that will destroy them... not benefit them. Nazi style Eugenics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I assume the amazon data centre? I’d say if you mention your situation to the manager they will accommodate your need to self isolate more.

I don’t work in the same industry but I work close to there. We have split up our shifts. One week at home while the other work and then switch the next week. They might look into doing something similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

The best guess would be a workable vaccine sometime early 2021, with perhaps discoveries related to current anti-viral drugs that may significantly reduce the mortality rate for at risk patients.

Does that best guess take into account the unprecedented levels of funding/political pressure and motivation that will pour into any trials etc that look promising

I think this is different ...... I admit I have no expertise however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭millb

Were the biggest bunch of yes men in Europe.

The Austrian's seemed to have been in denial for a week .. Iceland's problems mainly stemmed from 1 flight - Ski resort -

https://www.t-online.de/nachrichten/panorama/id_87525436/coronavirus-von-ischgl-verbreitete-sich-covid-19-in-ganz-europa.html

Question - have our travel agents communicated this / should this be flagged . Are they still tracing things back? or is it all too late?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Local Centra has put yellow tape down 2 meters apart at the tills to encourage social distancing.

Tesco ask customers to load groceries from the end of the belt and collect them from the end of the checkout, thereby allowing a meter from the checkout staff. They’ve moved the card machine as far away as possible.

Yeah but what tough decisions are the UK making and why are they better in the long term?

I think what he means is that that the UK is making a tough decision letting the virus spread but there's a good chance it works out better.

I don't agree. I think containing until there's a vaccine is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Ok. Perhaps we really are overthinking it. While I applaud decission to try to help everyone who need it, it simply will not be possible. We are not ready for it and we cant get ready for it in time. We can only ease suffering for some people but definitely not for everyone.
    It seems Chechen president has the most pragmatic approach as there is not much left to do anyway.

Kadyrov, the long-time head of his majority Muslim Republic, has offered his take on today's biggest issue – the coronavirus pandemic.
    Arguing that the fears over the disease that manifests itself with flu-like symptoms have been blown out of proportion, Kadyrov called on the public to come to their senses and stop overthinking the problem.
    “People lose sleep because a disease appeared in China: the virus," Kadyrov said, addressing a local government meeting on Saturday. "They are afraid that it comes [to them] and they’ll die. Don’t be in a rush, you’ll die anyway. Don’t try to die before your time."
    The Chechen leader noted that while the rapid spread of Covid-19 has been the talk of the town, other diseases like the ordinary flu keep claiming thousands of lives every year.

As with pretty much every other serious illness, “those who are in sound health will overcome it [coronavirus], those who are not, won’t manage to,” Kadyrov said, while recommending that all those anxious about their health work on strengthening their immune system using traditional means.
    “Mix lemon with honey and water and drink – then the virus won’t get you. Eat your garlic,” he noted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Deciding to expose the elderly and chronically ill to greater risk is a pretty tough decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

UrbanFret wrote: »
    For the last time even if they wanted to do it they don't have the numbers. It will be all be about self discipline.

Yeah but they d have to announce it wouldnt they in order for people to do it. Not about numbers, im supposed to go to work today should i just ring em and tell im im too disciplined to come in ?

I think what he means is that that the UK is making a tough decision letting the virus spread but there's a good chance it works out better.

Agreed. I'd like them to explain exactly what they mean and why it will work. For me, it's simply a cull of the old, weak and poor.

kowloon wrote: »
    Deciding to expose the elderly and chronically ill to greater risk is a pretty tough decision.

The elderly And vulnerable are advised to stay indoors for up to 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

threeball wrote: »
    Even if the herd immunity worked, you still need to slow the virus to give the NHS a chance to keep those that need treatment treated. But they haven't done that and I hope those that made that decisions face the consequences of it at some future date.

It's complete irresponsible of them !

I’m an epidemiologist. When I heard about Britain’s ‘herd immunity’ coronavirus plan, I thought it was satire !

Dr William Hanage is a professor of the evolution and epidemiology of infectious disease at Harvard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Ok. Perhaps we really are overthinking it. While I applaud decission to try to help everyone who need it, it simply will not be possible. We are not ready for it and we cant get ready for it in time. We can only ease suffering for some people but definitely not for everyone.
    It seems Chechen president has the most pragmatic approach as there is not much left to do anyway.

Kadyrov, the long-time head of his majority Muslim Republic, has offered his take on today's biggest issue – the coronavirus pandemic.
    Arguing that the fears over the disease that manifests itself with flu-like symptoms have been blown out of proportion, Kadyrov called on the public to come to their senses and stop overthinking the problem.
    “People lose sleep because a disease appeared in China: the virus," Kadyrov said, addressing a local government meeting on Saturday. "They are afraid that it comes [to them] and they’ll die. Don’t be in a rush, you’ll die anyway. Don’t try to die before your time."
    The Chechen leader noted that while the rapid spread of Covid-19 has been the talk of the town, other diseases like the ordinary flu keep claiming thousands of lives every year.

As with pretty much every other serious illness, “those who are in sound health will overcome it [coronavirus], those who are not, won’t manage to,” Kadyrov said, while recommending that all those anxious about their health work on strengthening their immune system using traditional means.
    “Mix lemon with honey and water and drink – then the virus won’t get you. Eat your garlic,” he noted.

Quick, get in touch with Leo and the CMO!

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »

It is. It's also wrong in so many ways, that it's indefensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

About food

Do you actually realise how much food is thrown away each day in developed countries?

There was a guy on UK tv the other day asking why people where clearing the shelves of toilet rolls, UK are the second biggest exporters of toilet roll in the world.

A lot of the supply fears are completely irrational, at worse people may have to go without some luxury items which become difficult to import.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭threeball

patnor1011 wrote: »

Is he advising Boris too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,323 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Many scientists are saying they are deeply alarmed at what the UK is proposing and say they cannot understand why Britain is going down this route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,988 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Files updated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

uk will have proper staticstics not skewed by stupid measures put in place, they will have numbers and profiles for those infected and more so those that had it severe, given chances it wont go away anytime soon, heard immunity isnt bad, if mass population has it and several dozen do get complicated or dead, its not mass extiction, just will prove how it compares to other viruses.

where irelands approach is useless since cant quarantine and close shops, factories forever, thus eventually everyone will have to return and with no immunity it will be rinse and repeat cycles, that will drive economy into ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Good old Irish begrudgery. Just being pedantic here, but the figure was closer to 60,000 each day.

Personally, I feel that shutting down the country at this stage is too late. That horse has already bolted.

"I feel". Shur that's it so!

The elderly And vulnerable are advised to stay indoors for up to 4 months.

Not by the UK government yet. That advice will be issued "over the next few weeks".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭patnor1011

threeball wrote: »

Problem is no matter what they do there is no slowing down with this virus. Chinese tried it right from the start with army on the street and with full might of a police state. It is not working and we simply do not have capacity to deal with it. Neither does any other country. There are waiting lists for every medical procedure and with this virus added to what was overwhelmed medical industry even before this virus emerged future do not look good anyway.

So while it is popular here to bash UK and Boris they at least did not bombed their economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

scamalert wrote: »
    uk will have proper staticstics not skewed by stupid measures put in place, they will have numbers and profiles for those infected and more so those that had it severe, given chances it wont go away anytime soon, heard immunity isnt bad, if mass population has it and several dozen do get complicated or dead, its not mass extiction, just will prove how it compares to other viruses.

where irelands approach is useless since cant quarantine and close shops, factories forever, thus eventually everyone will have to return and with no immunity it will be rinse and repeat cycles, that will drive economy into ground.

YUCK !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement