Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Biggest jump in Singapore in a while , nearly 30 new cases.

Cases in Spain now higher than South Korea's at almost 9,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Student nurses are being brought in as part of a recruitment drive to assist qualified nurses. That's a positive step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Nermal wrote: »
    UK strategy does involve flattening the curve. It just doesn't involve trying to flatten it to zero, since that's economically destructive and pointless in the long run.

Too late, the horse has bolted. No restrictions and no counting to see how prevalent the virus is. How do they know the point they need to lockdown if they're not even counting or testing. I would say its prevalent throughout most of the UK at this stage. Heavily urbanised countries will see if spread in faster and the UK is very heavily populated for a small island.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Yeah I did that on Friday. Stood a couple of meters from the door and had a chat. Only because I was dropping some stuff off for them that I didn't want them going out to get for themselves. Still felt a little anxious about it though, just because of all the conflicting reports about how far away you really need to be. I'm just trying to play it very very safe when it comes to my parents but will probably call again and do similar if I feel I need to see them in the flesh.

If there's no big lockdown my dad will be back at work in a week and a half :(

I work in Public Service and so does the girlfriend. Been told we cant take time off (paid) and cant work from home (no laptops)

We need to leave our son with his grandparents.

We have no choice.

Great wee country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

China have been very successful in their measures. Why are you claiming otherwise?

What success are you talking about? This?

Quote from epoch times:

Well then, if the great Xi has corralled coronavirus, why would his Communist government be shutting down flights and train schedules to the country’s largest urban centers?
    Because that’s what’s happening, according to The Epoch Times, which has led the way in Western media circles with its honest, accurate virus reporting.
    According to the paper, two major cities in Guangdong province recently cancelled most of their flights to Beijing, Shanghai, and Hangzhou, which drew new speculation that the cancellations were in response to the ongoing viral outbreak. Also canceled, according to the paper, were “a large number of passenger train routes” in several large cities around the country.

While the airlines claimed “public security issues” are what caused the cancellations, as usual there were no further details. That said, state-run media did quote an Air China staffer who said that the cancellations “could be related to coronavirus outbreak.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

GDK_11 wrote: »
    As a Brit living in Ireland I definitely feel more comfortable with other the Irish approach, it makes more sense to me. However, there is some logic to the UK approach in my totally uneducated opinion, high risk but really no one will be able to say until this is over.

There is of course some Brit bashing from certain posters, see them on Brexit, sport, travel etc!

The approach has some logic to it, politics has no place on here, governments are in unchartered territory and nobody knows for certain what the best approach is, its shocking that posters with a political agenda come on here with government bashing, be it FF, FG, Trump or Brexit - Anybody making tough decisions in these times has my empathy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Markets being thrashed again too..not a surprise I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

has his gp advised treatment? you don't have to tell us what that treatment is.

just paracetamol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

patnor1011 wrote: »
    That. And simple thing people refuse to realize that no matter what you do everyone will eventually get it. This virus is here to stay like influenza does. We will get different strains every now and then and while there may be some vaccines for some strain of it sometime in the future this can not be eradicated and we will have to learn to live with it.

This ^^

The number of times I've seen .."when this all blows over....."

It's NOT going to blow over completely sadly.It will "subside" be "pushed back" but highly likely here to stay...just like seasonal 'flu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I work in Public Service and so does the girlfriend. Been told we cant take time off (paid) and cant work from home (no laptops)

We need to leave our son with his grandparents.

We have no choice.

Great wee country

We have our grandchildren here too . We had them daily for the last few weeks so I am of the opinion that if they have it then its here anyway . Many many people have no choice but to leave kids with grandparents right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    219 cases now on Island of Ireland from VM1 news

No, 214

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

begbysback wrote: »
    The approach has some logic to, politics has no place on here, governments are in unchartered territory and nobody knows for certain what the best approach is, its shocking that posters with a political agenda come on here with government bashing, be it FF, FG, Trump or Brexit - Anybody making tough decisions in these times has my empathy

There will always be those negative voices. Doesn’t achieve anything in these times. Everyone needs to work together.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I specifically said in the last 2 posts ITS NOT ABOUT THE STOCKS RUNNING DRY!!!! Its about people not want to be caught flat footed during the worst few days of the pandemic. And having to go out and do a full family supermarket shopping then
    Did you not read the part where I pointed out in even the heaviest lock down in China and elsewhere people were still allowed to go to the shops, or supplies were delivered to them.

Nobody is starving or running out anywhere this dose has been running and it's been running since the New Year in the Far East. Now things might change, though I doubt it, but at this point in time you're falling back on hysterics in the face of panic over your normal routines being threatened. Standard operational procedure for an unfortunately large percentage of the population, as we have seen in the panic buying with some and eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die stuff in others.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

What success are you talking about? This?

Well then, if the great Xi has corralled coronavirus, why would his Communist government be shutting down flights and train schedules to the country’s largest urban centers?

Because that’s what’s happening, according to The Epoch Times, which has led the way in Western media circles with its honest, accurate virus reporting.

According to the paper, two major cities in Guangdong province recently cancelled most of their flights to Beijing, Shanghai, and Hangzhou, which drew new speculation that the cancellations were in response to the ongoing viral outbreak. Also canceled, according to the paper, were “a large number of passenger train routes” in several large cities around the country.

While the airlines claimed “public security issues” are what caused the cancellations, as usual there were no further details. That said, state-run media did quote an Air China staffer who said that the cancellations “could be related to coronavirus outbreak.”

You probably don't know this but Epoch Times is actually produced by the Falun Gong religious sect, the ones you see protesting in town sometimes. It has absolutely no credibility and is especially notorious for news related to China/CCP. Lately it has also moved in an alt-right direction for some reason, pushing Trump/Euro far right stuff, including anti-vax(!) It is really isn't worth reading for anything China related.

fritzelly wrote: »
    No, 214

214 or 219 not that big of a difference. There will be well over 1000 at the end of this week anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭solidasarock

All the barbers are closed. (which makes sense)

I am going to be a scruffy boy in the pandemic Apocalypse it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Problem is no matter what they do there is no slowing down with this virus. Chinese tried it right from the start with army on the street and with full might of a police state. It is not working and we simply do not have capacity to deal with it. Neither does any other country. There are waiting lists for every medical procedure and with this virus added to what was overwhelmed medical industry even before this virus emerged future do not look good anyway.

So while it is popular here to bash UK and Boris they at least did not bombed their economy.
    You are woefully uninformed.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

eggy81 wrote: »
    I work as an electrician currently on a very large project in clonee. We would be indoors but not necessarily in very close proximity to each other. No sign of site shut down yet. My partner is in remission for lymphoma and her mother has breast cancer. Partner went through heavy heavy treatment in second half of 2018.

For anyone with knowledge of these big sites what would you do. I'm very nervous of going back there particularly with the toilets and canteen situations. They are good by site standards but still so many people using them.

Eat in your car, maybe? Don't know what to say re toilets, my experience of them on sites is they can be shocking. Pick out a forest spot not too far off maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

There will always be those negative voices. Doesn’t achieve anything in these times. Everyone needs to work together.

God help us all if the last couple of weeks are anything to go by :(

The UK's approach is likely to fail because the population won't let themselves get to the infection rate needed without some sort of massive backlash.. Imagine being told to go to work and go to school knowing the plan is you get it. Statistically speaking, people will die, and the papers will question everything. A few stars die and the government could be forced to put the country into lockdown before the percentage needed is reached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Numbers on Wednesday may be very high due to backlog.
    Friend was tested on Saturday and told results will be given today. He rang and they said there’s a backlog so results will be given on Wednesday. Not sure if all weekend results will be given on Wednesday or not.

Surely they're not taking the bank holiday off?????

Phibsboro wrote: »
    You probably don't know this but Epoch Times is actually produced by the Falun Gong religious sect, the ones you see protesting in town sometimes. It has absolutely no credibility and is especially notorious for news related to China/CCP. Lately it has also moved in an alt-right direction for some reason, pushing Trump/Euro far right stuff, including anti-vax(!) It is really isn't worth reading for anything China related.

You are right but they are as reliable as chinese government data anyway.
    Not only they reported recent travel restriction within China.
    History is pretty clear on how trustworthy communist regimes really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Fun over here in Bavaria Germany where I live. They did a press conference and announced a "Disaster Situation" today. Parts of Bavaria have had that before due to extreme weather and flooding. But I think its the first time ever we had it in the entire state. Though do not quote me on that.

Anything that falls under the title of "recreation" has to close basically. Including Brothels, which gave me a wry smile. I wonder if Frankfurt and Dieburg will see some sex tourism from my city in Bavaria in the coming weeks.

Main impact is that all non-essential retail stores have to remain closed from Wednesday. Think I will have to go out and panic buy a few board games tonight before the Toy Shops close. Conversely all stores that are allowed remain open, mostly food and pharmacy and DIY related, are also now allowed open for 2 hours more than they usually are until 10pm rather than 8, and also 6 hours on Sundays.

Medical Students and Retired Doctors and Medical Staff on parental leave are being asked to consider being Medical Staff. University hospitals are being switched from research to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Surely they're not taking the bank holiday off?????

Just back log I'd imagine.... there was a hugh amount of testing going on yesterday in a Midlands center

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Breaking; MASSIVE TOILET PAPER RESTRICTIONS FROM 6pm THIS EVENING
    Reuters 13:20 16/03/2020

World Health Organization to introduce a ‘one square or less per person policy’

“The hoarding of toilet paper must stop’ said the WHO

The WHO has warned that unless we engage with the new restrictions ‘We will be left with another reason to not be shaking people's hands anymore.’

The UK's approach is likely to fail because the population won't let themselves get to the infection rate needed without some sort of massive backlash.. Imagine being told to go to work and go to school knowing the plan is you get it. Statistically speaking, people will die, and the papers will question everything. A few stars die and the government could be forced to put the country into lockdown before the percentage needed is reached.

It will fail because they are betting on recoverees having long-term immunity despite reports of re-infection.
    Without evidence of long term immunity it's crazy to architect a response with that being it's central plank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

LVMH is prepping its perfume and cosmetics production sites to manufacture hydroalcoholic gel in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, the company announced Sunday.
    The factories that produce perfume and makeup for brands like Christian Dior and Givenchy will be making hand sanitizer starting on Monday.

I said about 3 weeks ago that Jamesons should be doing this by increasing the strength to 70-80%. Perhaps they or some other company here really should do something like the French are.

BluePlanet wrote: »

Nope.
    Every country government will at some stage start massaging statistics. There is way too much at stake so they are all at it.
    The only exception are communist governments. They lie brazenly and right from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

That. And simple thing people refuse to realize that no matter what you do everyone will eventually get it. This virus is here to stay like influenza does. We will get different strains every now and then and while there may be some vaccines for some strain of it sometime in the future this can not be eradicated and we will have to learn to live with it.

People can develop immunity https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WOSwYGhmnwo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Fun over here in Bavaria Germany where I live. They did a press conference and announced a "Disaster Situation" today. Parts of Bavaria have had that before due to extreme weather and flooding. But I think its the first time ever we had it in the entire state. Though do not quote me on that.

Anything that falls under the title of "recreation" has to close basically. Including Brothels, which gave me a wry smile. I wonder if Frankfurt and Dieburg will see some sex tourism from my city in Bavaria in the coming weeks.

Main impact is that all non-essential retail stores have to remain closed from Wednesday. Think I will have to go out and panic buy a few board games tonight before the Toy Shops close. Conversely all stores that are allowed remain open, mostly food and pharmacy and DIY related, are also now allowed open for 2 hours more than they usually are until 10pm rather than 8, and also 6 hours on Sundays.

Medical Students and Retired Doctors and Medical Staff on parental leave are being asked to consider being Medical Staff. University hospitals are being switched from research to care.

DIY remaining open is a good idea will allow people to get stuff done in their house which means staying in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Nope.
    Yep.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Phrases to be exterminated from existence post virus issues:

"The Horse has bolted"

"Lockdown"

"Source?"

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

In other news..

Andrex staff are working overtime to supply the extra millions of toilet rolls that we need, but staff have been told they won't be paid for overtime..........just time off in loo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

The WHO has warned that unless we engage with the new restrictions ‘We will be left with another reason to not be shaking people's hands anymore.’

Can anybody sincerely and frankly explain to me why people are panic buying toilet rolls?
    What kind of fear is this?

I am Italian and live in Italy, over here all shelves are fully stocked and nobody is panic buying toilet paper.
    I went shopping an hour ago and the aisle was full to the brim of rolls.

Why is this happening in the rest (or most countries) of the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The UK's approach is likely to fail because the population won't let themselves get to the infection rate needed without some sort of massive backlash..

I could see some younger people with hidden conditions falling to the virus being enough to cause a realisation that it isn't just a bunch of old people that might get it. That could be what triggers a large scale backlash.

Time will tell, but until then the UK and Ireland have incompatible strategies and travel needs to be restricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

:DAll those schools closed this is what you have to look forward to

https://twitter.com/IanWright0/status/1239103562703155200?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Necro wrote: »

"The Horse has bolted"

"Lockdown"

"Source?"

That is all.

"Clayton Hotel"

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

"Papers will question everything" ....in the UK....when decision made by the conservative government?...Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Anyone else spouse healthcare workers and on front line of this now?
    Going out of mind with worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

You are right but they are as reliable as chinese government data anyway.
    Not only they reported recent travel restriction within China.
    History is pretty clear on how trustworthy communist regimes really are.

You seem to be saying they are both untrustworthy, in which case you should probably stop quoting them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Necro wrote: »

"The Horse has bolted"

"Lockdown"

"Source?"

That is all.

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Markets being thrashed again too..not a surprise I suppose...

Markets will continue to fall for next couple of weeks until some positive news regarding a vaccine or lowering of cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Loughc wrote: »
    Source?

Man, christmas forum would have been a very hard forum to moderate if the virus had taken hold then.:eek:

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    People can develop immunity https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WOSwYGhmnwo
    Nah i'll pass on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Not sure exactly why but I've found myself trying to use as little as possible, bloody difficult :cool:

Can anybody sincerely and frankly explain to me why people are panic buying toilet rolls?
    What kind of fear is this?

I am Italian and live in Italy, over here all shelves are fully stocked and nobody is panic buying toilet paper.
    I went shopping an hour ago and the aisle was full to the brim of rolls.

Why is this happening in the rest (or most countries) of the world?

It has something to do with planning for future. When this situation progress to lockdowns and a lot of people sick, state will focus on maintaining order and just few key areas like health, energy and food production and distribution.
    Stuff like toilett paper will be gone amongst the first as noone will be interesting in shipping air - loo rolls are bulky and not a priority to get to the people anyway.
    Even todays hoarders will run out and we will be back to green, natural way to do the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

Wibbs wrote: »
    Did you not read the part where I pointed out in even the heaviest lock down in China and elsewhere people were still allowed to go to the shops, or supplies were delivered to them.

Nobody is starving or running out anywhere this dose has been running and it's been running since the New Year in the Far East. Now things might change, though I doubt it, but at this point in time you're falling back on hysterics in the face of panic over your normal routines being threatened. Standard operational procedure for an unfortunately large percentage of the population, as we have seen in the panic buying with some and eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die stuff in others.
    You're missing the point!!!

Everyday you do your food shopping carries with it a degree of risk. If i have to go out and interact with people id prefer to to so on a lower risk day. 3 weeks ago was a lot less risky than now a weeks time will probably be more risky. More people will have it it will be on more surfaces! No?

3 months ago had no risk! 9 months time will hopefully have no risk

By being well stocked you have a better chance to avoid the very worst days to be out shopping

What is so difficult to get about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

spookwoman wrote: »
    :DAll those schools closed this is what you have to look forward to

https://twitter.com/IanWright0/status/1239103562703155200?s=20

Shaun and Bradley is it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement