Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,628 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Hedgehod55 wrote: »
    Not sure, but Weldoninho ratted them out for being open just over an hour ago.

If they are their licence should be lifted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

andrew1977 wrote: »
    My super local dentist took me in this morning for emergency treatment , tooth repaired and pain gone . Was worried I wouldn’t get a dentist during this time , very grateful to her for helping me .

Just back from a 1 hour walk in the fields with the dog.
    Feeling a lot better , stuck in the house was starting to get on me as I can imagine with everyone else .
    you were lucky
    https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1239583152718450689?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    When do we usually report the daily numbers?

6 oclock news

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    When do we usually report the daily numbers?

6ish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

del roy wrote: »

Could do worse than throwing a few buckets of dye on anyone leaving places like that, so others know they haven't been isolating and should be avoided.

• Advertisement

Expect a big ramp in numbers this week

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Has anyone seen the google map from Reddit that has cases marked on it my partner has it on there phone not sure how accurate is it but can’t seem to find it or get it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Measures only affected when cordinated. FFS UK.

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1239568170152857607?s=20

Guys,

this may sound like a stupid question but i need to ask it,

Is this a ban on travel within the EU (meaning no one can travel from Germany to Austria for example) or just externally to EU you cannot get in?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

You would think that the shops would put away produce that people can touch and cough on

I was in Tesco this morning in Limerick and saw a woman pick up two freshly baked rolls and leave them back for whatever reason and then pick up some others which she kept.

Some other person will end up eating the paw'd rolls.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The CMO said this Saturday

Try and keep up

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    The CMO said this Saturday

Try and keep up

LOL, The CMO. Are you fcuking kidding me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That was mentioned this morning. More testing = more cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

del roy wrote: »

Attitude of that ****ing bouncer !!!

"You're not in there pal are ya, you're all righ..."

What a prick ...

Oooh! Edgy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Yes.
    the Chief Medical Officer. The one person who we should be actually listening too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Should you not be in isolation until you get your test results?

It might take up to four days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

is_that_so wrote: »
    That was mentioned this morning. More testing = more cases.

I know, and i was told seperately 10 minutes ago

Should you not be in isolation un th il you get your test results?

I am! Currently in my bedroom as it goes. Bored out of my fcuking trolley

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

sternn wrote: »
    It may have been posted already, but the below simulations show how effective social distancing has on flattening the curve: I will give you a hint...it's super important!!

Look at the direction the UK are going and you will see their outcomes - the "free-for-all" model.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/
    Excellent illustration of the effects of social distancing.

Govt should acquire rebroadcast rights and have all TV stations here broadcast hourly with varying voice-overs.

The under 40s are a very graphically aware cohort and this would help get the message of social distancing across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

For the uk plan to work they need not to test people. Once someone tests positive there will be an element of isolation and it would slow the 'herd immunity '.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mr.S wrote: »
    Switzerland to enter "lockdown" from midnight

They were following the UK approach.

Ooops - major reversal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Jesus the Chinese are equipped to cope with this type of virus, the west is being exposed

What Italy is showing is the reality (SKorea as well) of this virus and thats with preparation (good and bad). China is trying to tell us that while hiding it, ignoring it, rejecting it and imprisoning people who talked about it for well over a month they somehow managed to get lower % death rates and then infection rates just stopped at 80k? That somehow small numbers of people ( did they come from Wuhan, if so how?) visiting Italy and other countries started the virus there but people from Wuhan moving internally in China for a month prior to shutdown didnt? Then before its over, they sent people back to work around the country and nope, no virus YET somehow, magically, similar people who travelled in and out from all over the world transmitted it, wow i mean, what are the odds. So now we are to believe, that just the people who flew to other countries had it, not some poor schmuck working in a factory with 5,000 other people in a random city in China. Is that believable? I would suggest they are , just perhaps, not being honest on the true infection rates on this. Their new total today is +36 infected -- let me predict something, tomorrow it will be back in the +10(ish) range because they want people to believe its under control. Lastly on this President Xi went to wuhan (a good sign), BUT did you see what he did- he talked to everyone via TV, no face to face. Is that believable when a virus is over?

China is in full panic about its economy and they should be, they are going to suffer 2 major backlashes when this is all over.

1. all companies both public quoted and private in the west will no longer commit 100% of their production to China - they will be lucky to keep 60%. Why? the next AGM for a public quoted company is going to get asked again and again what is their exposure to letting a single location build its products. The risk mitigation procedures spell really really bad news for China (btw Google and Microsoft have already moved manufacturing to Vietnam in the last month ). The magic draw of unending cheap manufacturing and massive profits in China has been exposed by a virus 0.1 microns in size.

2. the cost of deaths will reverberate for a long time. Like it or not, China is going to get blamed for this, doesnt matter if thats fair or not, racist or not, they will. By the time the dust settles the fear of investment coupled with the anger of a relative or friend who died/redundant/lost careers will influence business decisions. Of course we will be told that 'its nothing personal, its just business' but it is personal and it is business. Add to this mix the soon to be western economic crash, unfortunately inevitable at this point. You think anyone is going to vote for someone who doesnt have a 'bring the jobs home and save ourselves' commentary. You think parents arent going to look at the label of where it is made and think 'is this infected or they killed granddad'. The Chinese magic perpetual growth party is officially over. The business decisions wont be sudden or quick but they will be continuous. Imagine Chinese exports dropping by 40% over 10-15 years, even if i am wrong and it 20%, thats a game changer internally.Its a potential boom for countries like India/Vietnam/South America etc. If they were smart they would be ringing major firms in USA/EU and offering tax relief to relocate. If we in Ireland, are smart we should be doing exactly the same. Cold hearted i know, but there you have it and as i said it is personal and it is business.

The real question that needs to be asked now is how long can the Chinese Communist party keep going. The deal with the Chinese people was they would return China to primacy in the world. That is about to end just as it was announced in January by Xi that it had started. They are now restarting their economy (not an easy thing to do) but who will buy their stuff, the west are going into recession? Sure there are the mandated products, medical etc but their threats of limiting deliveries on that (yes that has already happened with both drugs and n95 masks which is why there is a western shortage) went off in western business circles like a nuke. This is why Jack Ma the billionaire chinese dude of alibaba fame offered to send hundreds of tons of gear to the west- he has realised there is massive trouble brewing. Any business that is dealing with China is going to be very aware of that going forward. I would not be surprised to see a long deliberate extraction of critical product development move out of China in the medium term, the very thing China needs to keep growing. Yes they could go cheap again to counter this, but that affects the chinese worker, who, just like you and me, doesnt want to be poor. Xi is caught badly between 2 issues. At a minimum i would be surprised he survives this but then again, he is tough hombre.

This virus has changed everything. It might not be visible now because we are laser beamed focussed on one thing, avoiding a catastrophe. Italy has right now (they have not posted todays figures) 1,809 dead from this. That is war time death rates. if this was a war there would be marches in the streets. (and this is before all other western nations hit the same death rates as early as next week).

If your response to this is a bar trip to TempleBar or the embarrassing 'ok boomer, it doesnt affect me, young people only get a slight dose' i have some news, because you are not keeping up on current events: The infection is now hitting the 20 to 39 year olds -- they are making close to 50% of serious hospitalised cases in Italy and Holland). In fact one of the first serious cases in Italy apparently was a 39 year old marathon runner. I find it revealing that this new statistic, not one major media company is mentioning it. Add to that we now have initial reports that some people who recovered have lost 20 to 30% of lung capacity (reported from Hong Kong) and the scary but still conspiracy level so far (and nope i dont believe this one); that it is causing infertility in men.

China is in real trouble both internally and externally with this. As some have mentioned it is their Chernobyl moment and so far, they have been left wanting. They had the laughable 100,000 ducks to stop a biblical level locust invasion that is 25 miles long (a pr stunt btw and a really bad one, a duck can eat 20 locusts a day) and via their official news channel last week asked the world to thank them for stopping the virus (good luck with that one china).

This virus is a game changer for the world or at least it has the potential to. it is thrown a hand grenade into the middle of mankind and is questioning things we took for granted. A lot of stuff will be up for grabs after the dust settles. Of course i could be completely wrong and a solution is found in the way of a vaccine or some magic potion. Actually kinda hope i am wrong because when there is uncertainty -- well it can get messy, very very messy.

just my opinion yours may differ.

and to the group that is still saying 'its a flu bro' -- God i so hope you are right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'm curious what treatment is given, antibiotics?

They have trialed some anti-viral like Remdesivir in China.
    https://www.datapunk.net/covid19/antivirals.pl

The ones marked in green appear to be relevant.

I meant from the internet

What if you break boards?

Beasty would hunt you down :pac:

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Yes.
    the Chief Medical Officer. The one person who we should be actually listening too

Really? I wouldn't actually but i have been snactioned already here for giving accurate advice and hopefully helping some people

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P42OrsA045M

Serbia's President looks a beaten man and they only have 48 cases

I meant from the internet

What if you break boards?

Beasty would hunt you down :pac:

LOL

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

I hope people continue this social distancing thing after, I don't miss having 10 people up my arse in every shop I go in. Having only 6 is so nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

paddythere wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P42OrsA045M

Serbia's President looks a beaten man and they only have 48 cases

That news source is an arm of the Chinese Communist Party.

And the fcuking idiots are testing possible known cases not protecting themselves. Fcukwits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I hope people continue this social distancing thing after, I don't miss having 10 people up my arse in every shop I go in. Having only 6 is so nice.

Up your arse! What shops were you going to?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Sweet Jesus, what are the Uk doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

/\/ollog wrote: »

An upside in all of this social distancing and improved personal hygiene is that vomiting bugs, flu and colds will become less prevalent.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

See loads of flights still from EU to US on Flightradar. Thought that was all finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

kfrp wrote: »
    You would think that the shops would put away produce that people can touch and cough on

I was in Tesco this morning in Limerick and saw a woman pick up two freshly baked rolls and leave them back for whatever reason and then pick up some others which she kept.

Some other person will end up eating the paw'd rolls.

It's actually okay to eat food with the virus because our stomachs will kill the virus. Dr. John Campbell mentioned this in one of this videos but I'm not sure which one it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

As I said earlier in the thread, a friend of mine who is a geriatric consultant with the NHS has a fever, was told to self isolate, but refused a test. If she was offered a test she could be back to work as soon as the results came back, now she is sidelined for 2 weeks, and no contact tracing or anything is taking place. Not testing makes no sense at all, whatever your strategy is for dealing with the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mick987

Originally Posted by ShaneU View Post
    Delighted, UK is going to get much worse. Thank you brexit!
    Are you for real?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

See loads of flights still from EU to US on Flightradar. Thought that was all finished?

US residents and citizens can fly back to the US, and non US residents and citizens can fly home

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Nibs05

They aren’t, they are just for US citizens and probably more or less empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

Is that not from 12.00 tonight EST?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

Should you not be in isolation until you get your test results?

I'm in isolation since yesterday morning and I'm already going mad lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Beasty wrote: »
    US residents and citizens can fly back to the US, and non US residents and citizens can fly home

and US citizens can fly within the states. So they can fly form the highly infested Seattle area to Michigan, or Boston or wherever.

Trumps seems to think it won't travel internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Cop yourself on Stevie

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

Are they seriously bringing people home from Spain !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

So am I. Need to head to Aldi soon to get evening essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Why nothing about the number of retail staff temporarily laid off, only restaurant workers, pub and bar staff and crèche and childcare workers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I didn't think I could hate the Tories more than I already did. I was wrong.

Wait till the bastards start popping off in Parliament.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement