Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

What Italy is showing is the reality (SKorea as well) of this virus and thats with preparation (good and bad). China is trying to tell us that while hiding it, ignoring it, rejecting it and imprisoning people who talked about it for well over a month they somehow managed to get lower % death rates and then infection rates just stopped at 80k? That somehow small numbers of people ( did they come from Wuhan, if so how?) visiting Italy and other countries started the virus there but people from Wuhan moving internally in China for a month prior to shutdown didnt? Then before its over, they sent people back to work around the country and nope, no virus YET somehow, magically, similar people who travelled in and out from all over the world transmitted it, wow i mean, what are the odds. So now we are to believe, that just the people who flew to other countries had it, not some poor schmuck working in a factory with 5,000 other people in a random city in China. Is that believable? I would suggest they are , just perhaps, not being honest on the true infection rates on this. Their new total today is +36 infected -- let me predict something, tomorrow it will be back in the +10(ish) range because they want people to believe its under control. Lastly on this President Xi went to wuhan (a good sign), BUT did you see what he did- he talked to everyone via TV, no face to face. Is that believable when a virus is over?

China is in full panic about its economy and they should be, they are going to suffer 2 major backlashes when this is all over.

1. all companies both public quoted and private in the west will no longer commit 100% of their production to China - they will be lucky to keep 60%. Why? the next AGM for a public quoted company is going to get asked again and again what is their exposure to letting a single location build its products. The risk mitigation procedures spell really really bad news for China (btw Google and Microsoft have already moved manufacturing to Vietnam in the last month ). The magic draw of unending cheap manufacturing and massive profits in China has been exposed by a virus 0.1 microns in size.

2. the cost of deaths will reverberate for a long time. Like it or not, China is going to get blamed for this, doesnt matter if thats fair or not, racist or not, they will. By the time the dust settles the fear of investment coupled with the anger of a relative or friend who died/redundant/lost careers will influence business decisions. Of course we will be told that 'its nothing personal, its just business' but it is personal and it is business. Add to this mix the soon to be western economic crash, unfortunately inevitable at this point. You think anyone is going to vote for someone who doesnt have a 'bring the jobs home and save ourselves' commentary. You think parents arent going to look at the label of where it is made and think 'is this infected or they killed granddad'. The Chinese magic perpetual growth party is officially over. The business decisions wont be sudden or quick but they will be continuous. Imagine Chinese exports dropping by 40% over 10-15 years, even if i am wrong and it 20%, thats a game changer internally.Its a potential boom for countries like India/Vietnam/South America etc. If they were smart they would be ringing major firms in USA/EU and offering tax relief to relocate. If we in Ireland, are smart we should be doing exactly the same. Cold hearted i know, but there you have it and as i said it is personal and it is business.

The real question that needs to be asked now is how long can the Chinese Communist party keep going. The deal with the Chinese people was they would return China to primacy in the world. That is about to end just as it was announced in January by Xi that it had started. They are now restarting their economy (not an easy thing to do) but who will buy their stuff, the west are going into recession? Sure there are the mandated products, medical etc but their threats of limiting deliveries on that (yes that has already happened with both drugs and n95 masks which is why there is a western shortage) went off in western business circles like a nuke. This is why Jack Ma the billionaire chinese dude of alibaba fame offered to send hundreds of tons of gear to the west- he has realised there is massive trouble brewing. Any business that is dealing with China is going to be very aware of that going forward. I would not be surprised to see a long deliberate extraction of critical product development move out of China in the medium term, the very thing China needs to keep growing. Yes they could go cheap again to counter this, but that affects the chinese worker, who, just like you and me, doesnt want to be poor. Xi is caught badly between 2 issues. At a minimum i would be surprised he survives this but then again, he is tough hombre.

This virus has changed everything. It might not be visible now because we are laser beamed focussed on one thing, avoiding a catastrophe. Italy has right now (they have not posted todays figures) 1,809 dead from this. That is war time death rates. if this was a war there would be marches in the streets. (and this is before all other western nations hit the same death rates as early as next week).

If your response to this is a bar trip to TempleBar or the embarrassing 'ok boomer, it doesnt affect me, young people only get a slight dose' i have some news, because you are not keeping up on current events: The infection is now hitting the 20 to 39 year olds -- they are making close to 50% of serious hospitalised cases in Italy and Holland). In fact one of the first serious cases in Italy apparently was a 39 year old marathon runner. I find it revealing that this new statistic, not one major media company is mentioning it. Add to that we now have initial reports that some people who recovered have lost 20 to 30% of lung capacity (reported from Hong Kong) and the scary but still conspiracy level so far (and nope i dont believe this one); that it is causing infertility in men.

China is in real trouble both internally and externally with this. As some have mentioned it is their Chernobyl moment and so far, they have been left wanting. They had the laughable 100,000 ducks to stop a biblical level locust invasion that is 25 miles long (a pr stunt btw and a really bad one, a duck can eat 20 locusts a day) and via their official news channel last week asked the world to thank them for stopping the virus (good luck with that one china).

This virus is a game changer for the world or at least it has the potential to. it is thrown a hand grenade into the middle of mankind and is questioning things we took for granted. A lot of stuff will be up for grabs after the dust settles. Of course i could be completely wrong and a solution is found in the way of a vaccine or some magic potion. Actually kinda hope i am wrong because when there is uncertainty -- well it can get messy, very very messy.

just my opinion yours may differ.

and to the group that is still saying 'its a flu bro' -- God i so hope you are right...
    Very insightful observations there, especially about the hit China is still taking. If the WHO were good for anything they'd have a team step in and take a look at what the motivation for closing airports and train stations was. Although I can't find very much about that, so I'm not even sure if the information suggesting they're fiddling the figures is true or not anymore. They're almost as good at confusing the media as the HSE and RTÉ teams.
    Stheno wrote: »
    The CMO said this Saturday

Try and keep up
    When did he say that? Sorry edited because you said when... Why did he say that and was it during the briefing?

Is that when they expect the testing to have caught up with the new measures? And the Cheltenham cases will only be starting to show then. Then the week after that we'll have the ones from all the contact with people coming home from abroad so it'll be astronomical. Wow I really wish someone would do a petition to show public support for the government to introduce a two week quarantine for those returning from abroad. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Are they seriously bringing people home from Spain !!

'Irish citizens allowed to return home' shocker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

cnocbui wrote: »
    Farmers could block the border in couple of hours, just park some of their machinery across the roads instead of in their yards.

We can't just have a border when it suits us. No border means no border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    It's actually okay to eat food with the virus because our stomachs will kill the virus. Dr. John Campbell mentioned this in one of this videos but I'm not sure which one it was

Maybe but don't think we'll be too keen on loose baked foods for a while. Was down in local PO earlier and a whole shelf of open apple tarts sitting there waiting to be bought - but no takers clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

As expected OPD appointments currently are being cancelled, will be notified when rescheduled for a future date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Map here from bno news give first confirmed case

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Yes until midnight Thursday.

And rightly so. Most are Irish.

Flights in Spain have been impacted by traffic control system problems.

Please use question marks for future questions. All the people coming from Spain are going to live in your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They are ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

The guards have a post up on Facebook about the car rental cars being used to help the community. It's true for all those who said it was photo shopped 🙈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/fjkspq/fack_off_paddy_you_dont_even_have_a_health_service/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

''Ireland doesn't have a health service''

Jesus christ the UK are thicker then i thought

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Cop yourself on Stevie

I'm not blaming the CMO. The numbers are and have been inaccurate to date

An Ri rua wrote: »
    We can't just have a border when it suits us.

Oh yes we can! - it suited us nicely to have 'No Border' last year, but maybe not so now. All things can change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

Creed pays tribute to ‘those who put food on our tables’

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/creed-pays-tribute-to-those-who-put-food-on-our-tables/

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

is_that_so wrote: »
    They are ours.

So? They are the worst off after Italy they should be sending them some money instead of bringing them home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Than I thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Lashes28 wrote: »
    The guards have a post up on Facebook about the car rental cars being used to help the community. It's true for all those who said it was photo shopped 🙈

Stopped clock is right twice a day as they say :pac:

The guards have a post up on Facebook about the car rental cars being used to help the community. It's true for all those who said it was photo shopped ��

It is true. Wife's friend is a gaurd and confirmed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I know, and i was told seperately 10 minutes ago

Still playing the numbers again while being mortally ill

Give it up

And rightly so. Most are Irish..

Many of who went off in full knowledge of what was going on in Tenerife and Italy etc...... There is the issue of personal responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Health Service Executive doesn't exist after all. Knew it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Tesco Ireland has announced it is offering over 65-year olds and family carers a dedicated time for them to do their shopping, in its 151 stores nationwide.

Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, starting this Wednesday 18 March, these customers will have dedicated access to all Tesco stores up to 9am.

Tesco stores open at 7am or 8am, every morning, depending on location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

kfrp wrote: »
    You would think that the shops would put away produce that people can touch and cough on

I was in Tesco this morning in Limerick and saw a woman pick up two freshly baked rolls and leave them back for whatever reason and then pick up some others which she kept.

Some other person will end up eating the paw'd rolls.

Yep, companies need to stop selling open products. I know we are all anti plastic now but maybe for next few months we need to wrap all foods.

Long term maybe biodegradable plastics to become widespread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

He worded it poorly but I think he just meant a free one like they have.
    Reddit Ireland will be loving all this as it gives them chance to post anti-Brit memes.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Many of who went off in full knowledge of what was going on in Tenerife and Italy etc...... There is the issue of personal responsibility.

Nobody has full knowledge of anything.

I imagine flights will be closed from Friday onwards.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

V

When did he say that? Sorry edited because you said when... Why did he say that and was it during the briefing?

Is that when they expect the testing to have caught up with the new measures? And the Cheltenham cases will only be starting to show then. Then the week after that we'll have the ones from all the contact with people coming home from abroad so it'll be astronomical. Wow I really wish someone would do a petition to show public support for the government to introduce a two week quarantine for those returning from abroad. :p

Saturday evening briefing

The Cillian chap too said non hospital test results may take up to four day

Tony H and him both said they expect a big rose this week due to more testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Prime Minister Boris Johnson will be giving an update at 4.45pm on the coronavirus outbreak.

What are the chances of him being replaced this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

He worded it poorly but I think he just meant a free one like they have.
    Reddit Ireland will be loving all this as it gives them chance to post anti-Brit memes.

He talked sh1te you mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Guys,

this may sound like a stupid question but i need to ask it,

Is this a ban on travel within the EU (meaning no one can travel from Germany to Austria for example) or just externally to EU you cannot get in?

Hi All,

didnt see a reply to my question above, i would guess because the thread is moving so fast.

Anyone clear this up for me?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Still playing the numbers again while being mortally ill

Give it up

Mortally ill?

Some people here. I am waiting to be tested, brother works in HSE and just said to expect it and to look after myself. I worry about a lot of people on this island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

It is true. Wife's friend is a gaurd and confirmed it

Ah here if we believed every wifes friends sisters donkey, we would be on lockdown with a soldier standing at the door so we couldn't leave. 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

dan786 wrote: »
    Tesco Ireland has announced it is offering over 65-year olds and family carers a dedicated time for them to do their shopping, in its 151 stores nationwide.

Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, starting this Wednesday 18 March, these customers will have dedicated access to all Tesco stores up to 9am.

Tesco stores open at 7am or 8am, every morning, depending on location.

Can’t buy booze at that hour. Feck that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

kmart6 wrote: »
    Literally on the previous page!!

Thank you I just found it . I don’t know how to use twitter.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/lidl-priority-shopping-elderly-5048008-Mar2020/%3famp=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

We have this Coronavirus problem because certain regional and national governments stuffed up.
    Apparently so called wet markets in China are banned since the SARS epidemic but officials turned a bling eye in Whuhan where there was a market there.
    The Italian government stopped flights from China but didn’t watch people coming in through mainly Germany on the so called Silk Road.
    Is the (UK) government stuffing up?
    But I have praise for the Chinese national government on the issue.
    Best of luck for the Irish government efforts and everybody that works in healthcare.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Prime Minister Boris Johnson will be giving an update at 4.45pm on the coronavirus outbreak.

I presume this is aimed at UK (and some other countries).

"Countries must test. They can't fight this blindly. They need to find cases and isolate them. So my message to the Health Ministers today was to invest in testing. They must be able to test all suspected cases. We advise countries to stick to testing and continue with containment strategies, because we believe this virus is controllable if the right measures are taken."

Dr. Tedros Adhanom, Director of WHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

NHS staff depleting rapidly and they are not being tested.

Testing in the UK is a major scandal.

They are trying massage the figures but they can't massage the consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,628 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Hi All,

didnt see a reply to my question above, i would guess because the thread is moving so fast.

Anyone clear this up for me?
    Internal too. Germany/Denmark/Czech Republic etc have closed their borders to non essential travel

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Was trying to figure out the toilet paper shortages myself last week. I came to the following conclusions.

1. The toilet paper shortages are happening mainly because of Australia.
    2. People see Australian shortages and try to get ahead of that.
    3. Australia had reasons (not good reasons) to believe there would be a shortage (importing from China) so people stockpiled.
    4. There are people for whom stocking up on toilet paper makes sense (my parents want to avoid public transport during the crisis so are going to walk to and from a local shop {instead of getting a bus to a bigger shop}. Toilet paper is very annoying to carry when doing a large shop).
    5. People are idiots.
    6. If my shop is out of toilet paper I will find a shop selling toilet paper and stockpile because I don't want hassle of looking for it.

I posted this earlier in the thread, it is an interesting psychological explanation for the TP Rush.

Dr. Stephen Taylor, professor and clinical psychology at the University of British Columbia. ('The Psychology of Pandemics' 2009)

“Why toilet paper?”

“One thing that happens during pandemics, when people are threatened with infection, is that their sensitivity to disgust increases. They are more likely to experience the emotion of disgust and are motivated to avoid that,” …

“...Disgust is like an alarm mechanism that warns you to avoid some contamination. So if I see a hand railing covered in saliva I’m not gonna touch it, I’m gonna feel disgust. And that keeps us safe.

“So there is a very tight connection between fear of getting infected and disgust. And what better tool for eliminating disgusting material than toilet paper. I think this is how it became a conditioned symbol of safety,” he said.

Stockpiling of general items can be partly explained by people’s need to feel like they are prepared.

“When you’re presented with a pandemic, a big new, scary thing, and the government is telling us that we don’t need to do anything special to deal with it — just wash your hands and so on — people feel the need to do something to prepare. So people are stocking up as a way of preparing themselves. When people do that, it's inevitable that some people are going to over shop.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

What are the chances of him being replaced this year?/QUOTE]

Yep. Jacob Rees Mogg to be the next PM. From the frying pan into the fire.

• Advertisement

We all need to learn how to grow our own vegetables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

And there's Spanish people going back to Spain. Shoot the planes down. Wtf is wrong with people?

I know this virus is very serious but some people need to calm down.

Ah here if we believed every wifes friends sisters donkey, we would be on lockdown with a soldier standing at the door so we couldn't leave. ��

FFS

I am only confirming facts. Why is it that everytime i try and give people first hand knowledge i get abused here!

I'll carry on though regardless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

We all need to learn how to grow our own vegetables.

Why, the supply chain is not broken.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lads and lasses, quick question. Is the proposed EU flight ban between all the EU counties, or non-EU being blocked coming in to EU?

Have flights in two weeks to London and feel the best outcome for me here is that they’ve banned it, meaning I can seek a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    There's no using Twitter required, the information was in the link. More precise than an article that is padding an official statement for clicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mr.S wrote: »
    Switzerland to reinstate border checks from midnight. Only CH citizens and work permit holders can enter.

Surprised it took them that long.

The Shengen area is falling apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    And there's Spanish people going back to Spain. Shoot the planes down. Wtf is wrong with people?

I know this virus is very serious but some people need to calm down.

Yup, they all will be put in quaranteen when they get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

cjmc wrote: »
    Internal too. Germany/Denmark/Czech Republic etc have closed their borders to non essential travel

thanks for the reply, but i am still a little unsure, is it being left up to member states to close their borders within EU?

statesaver wrote: »
    Why, the supply chain is not broken.

I know. I have been saying that for many days.

I still think everybody needs to learn the old ways. To be grounded in how things work and what really matters. And to eat healthier food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I saw an Irish dickhead who is on a cruise with his wife and he is worried they might not get back to Ireland for the start of his wive's cancer treatment. What fuking spanner goes on a cruise with a sick wife with all this around us. I have not had any trips abroad since I got diagnosed 3 years ago as that's what you do to protect your health.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement