Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

but surely they are just taking the medical scientific advise of their experts, like all other governments, its not like bojo has the relevant expertise - hasn't he deferred to the qualified civil servants?

First they said they want 'herd immunity'. Boris said they should 'take it on the chin' and reach 60% infection. They stopped talking about that because people were rightly apalled. Kind of how Boris ordered his ministers not to mention 'Brexit'.

Now they are insisting that it's 'too early' to shut things down, as the disease runs rampant in society. When will be the right time?

People are not following the advice as they think 'its not that bad' and it's not the time to self isolate.

They are prioritising the economy over public health.

They are not testing - only testing patients admitted to hospital (basically people who it is clear already have the virus). They are not testing frontline staff. They refuse to do this despite the advice they should test as much as possible (WHO).

They have reccomended that sufferers of the virus use ibuprofen, despite science contradicting this. The French believe it aggravates the virus and causes a deterioration in the patient.

**** Boris and **** the Tories.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Necro wrote: »
    Lol.

Boris now putting in place what Ireland did last Thursday.

And making the same mistake with advising rather than ordering

Especially important for over 70s and pregnant women to observe

All the yoof will party as normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Doesn't sounds like he is going far enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Boris saying "should do this", "should do that"

No action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Anyone else getting depressed by the bleak news on economy? You know, people losing their jobs, airlines possibly going bankrupt by end of May etc.? I am trying to stay optimistic but the way things are going, I'm starting to wonder whether it would be better to just catch corona and kick the bucket than end up living on the streets by the end of this year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Here's a quick one, the mother inlaw is currently living with us,
    (Which is bad enough) Her brother is unwell and in Beaumont hospital (not corna ) she wants to go visit tonight , is it a good idea ?
    I'm worried sick if she catches something and brings it home and then I pass it on to my own parents who would be very vulnerable to the virus ,

Unless he is terminally ill make sure she stays far away from the hospital. Tie her down if necessary.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

That's right Boris, lets get Coronavirus done.

Haha he couldn't say the letters E and U there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Surely, the World Health Organisation (WHO) must have thought of the likelihood that local officials in China would cover-up the first diagnoses in the event of a dangerous virus breaking out. So why didn't the WHO advise that travel to and from China be suspended as soon as suspicions arose?

Why has the WHO let the Chinese government dictate to it?

China is now a major donor country to multilateral organisations. As Trump has pulled American money from these orgs, China has stepped in with the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Boris is paying particular attention to London. Mass gatherings won’t be supported be emergency workers according to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

"leading a campaign to fight back"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Anyone else getting depressed by the bleak news on economy?

YES. As a self-employed person it is scarier than the virus itself. I need that jacks roll!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Stheno wrote: »

The danger in the UK is that I feel they're always on the precipice of serious civil unrest, which is really quite bizarre for a Western country.

It definitely needs to be baby steps or they'll start looting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Bojo- iso 4 <70

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

I am not making light of the situation as anyone that has been following the thread will see i am taking it very seriously,

But i cannot help getting this song out of my head the past few days!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Yurt! wrote: »
    Wild-animal wet-markets are widespread in China, not just in Wuhan. If a blind eye is being turned, it's being turned at a national level.

It's very odd seeing Irish people parrot the ancient and well-worn Chinese political canard that the local functionary is corrupt but the Emperor and his circle are beyond reproach. Just goes to show that Beijing's propaganda efforts are paying dividends.

Propaganda is in the eye of the beholder.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

J-s he tried to take a Churchillian tone, and failed miserably.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Stheno wrote: »

Over 70 and pregnant.
    Dirty auld wans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

You don't realise how well Leo speaks until you listen to Boris

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Didn't he also say that even if you have symptoms and you have to th as its it's ok to go out to get supplies!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Reminder the rate of infection is lower in UK than Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

Here's a quick one, the mother inlaw is currently living with us,
    (Which is bad enough) Her brother is unwell and in Beaumont hospital (not corna ) she wants to go visit tonight , is it a good idea ?
    I'm worried sick if she catches something and brings it home and then I pass it on to my own parents who would be very vulnerable to the virus ,

Is he terminal ? They won't let her or anyone in unless he is going to die soon. As least thats the way it is in my hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

laugh wrote: »
    Doesn't sounds like he is going far enough.

They haven't changed anything.

They're clearly still going the herd immunity route, it's just by telling people they should self isolate they're also covering themselves from people that think that's the route they should take.

There'd be a closure of schools etc if they were rolling back.

They've clearly been advised that this is the best approach for them. Nothing new has come to light in the past 48 hours for them to change that stance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Lashes28 wrote: »

Ahh, both are rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Johnson - "The UK is leading the campaign to fight back against this disease". Trump lite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Lashes28 wrote: »

Should do this, should do that. Very wishy washy from the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Surely, the World Health Organisation (WHO) must have thought of the likelihood that local officials in China would cover-up the first diagnoses in the event of a dangerous virus breaking out. So why didn't the WHO advise that travel to and from China be suspended as soon as suspicions arose?

Why has the WHO let the Chinese government dictate to it?

This is gone well past China now, its in the back yard banging at the door but if it makes you feel better keep talking about China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Jpmarn wrote: »

They are not testing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

We all need to learn how to grow our own vegetables.

And 4 months later you might be able to harvest and eat them. Meanwhile, you will still need to buy vegetables until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

they aren't testing people so how do we know

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Looptheloop30

O were they testing the same amount proportionally as us were they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,951 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The reported rate of infection.
    Based on tests that the UK is rationing.

What are the rates?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Hurrache wrote: »
    Johnson - "The UK is leading the campaign to fight back against this disease". Trump lite.

Trying to invoke the spirit of Churchill but fails totally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,958 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The brits have changed their tone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Uk press conference, not a whole lot new to what we already know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

This is gone well past China now, its in the back yard banging at the door but if it makes you feel better keep talking about China.

Communist officials in Wuhan caused the crisis by covering-up the earliest cases of infection and letting a pot-luck dinner take place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

How can you know that? Surely they aren't testing similar numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The tested rate or the total rate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Boris press conference just now they are still not closing schools and colleges etc ! OH MY GOD:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Just back from the beach.

Was quieter than expected, thankfully, tide was on the way out. Very strong biting wind. The kids and dog had a good run around, although it was looking like a lock down was coming this week, it doesnt feel like it as much today. Restaurants/cafes look like closing tonight.

Driving through a few small towns in Cork I was annoyed to see mainly teenage lads congregate in groups of 3-5.

One man walked by us on the beach 20 yards away and we kept about 5 metres away from 2 kite surfers.

Anyway it was good to get away from it all for a couple of hours and get the ears frozen off me.

505862.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,951 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hurrache wrote: »

They are the example along with the US that everyone else points out as bad ;)

Actual bombastic nonsense as the world faces its biggest health crisis in 100 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Boris press conference just now they are still not closing schools and colleges etc ! OH MY GOD:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Herd immunity experiment continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The UK are testing more than us per million

Fake news

Jesus they seem to be really downplaying it in this press conference

Very few people die. Less than 1% can they not do maths here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I am not making light of the situation as anyone that has been following the thread will see i am taking it very seriously,

But i cannot help getting this song out of my head the past few days!!!!

Good idea. With that in your head, any self respecting virus is bound to give it a miss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

cnocbui wrote: »
    And 4 months later you might be able to harvest and eat them. Meanwhile, you will still need to buy vegetables until then.

You can harvest lettuce after 1 month. Simple to grow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Remember last Thursday when the chief medical officer of the UK suggested 10k undiagnosed cases in the community.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Aren't they only testing people hospitalised?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement