Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

You can harvest lettuce after 1 month. Simple to grow.

Not great for calorie count though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Communist officials in Wuhan caused the crisis by covering-up the earliest cases of infection and letting a pot-luck dinner take place.

I think we all know that, have you a time machine and a chance to go back and change things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

How can the go 'Emphatically against' mass gatherings and leave schools and colleges going. some with 1000's of students milling around campus buildings. makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

3 of my extended family in the UK have been confirmed positive, they were with their severely compromised mother yesterday, advice from NHS, stay indoors for 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

Mr.S wrote: »
    Switzerland to reinstate border checks from midnight. Only CH citizens and work permit holders can enter.

Surprised it took them that long.

Because these measures cripple your economy.

You can't stay in lockdown forever.

Once we open our borders we will have a steady increase in cases again.

There is no right or wrong way here, people will die, one measure may have more deaths now...but crippling your economy will cause huge deaths over decades also, not to mention make life unbearable for a lot of people. We can have a situation where you have 1,000 deaths now and 1.5million unemployed, or we can go the UK route and see where that takes us.

This is a terrible situation. The reality is we need to clean up our act as a species. We have a terrible relationship with the planet. If someone from another world came to visit, they would see the human race as the biggest virus on the planet. The reason for this particular outbreak is because of the terrible conditions we have our livestock living in. This isn't a dig at China, we are guilty of it too here in the west.

I'm not a vegan btw and I'm not 'against' the world. There is so much good in the world, and I really enjoy my life...but truthfully, look around, is this not what we deserve? We cause more harm than good overall, it's just a pity it's sick and weak that are going to pay the price for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

BoJo the clown has now morphed into Backtrack Boris. The U.K. going down the W.H.O. recommendations route 1 week after Ireland. What a major fXXk up.

They're basically saving now that there will be an explosion of cases in Britain,London in particular in the next 2 weeks. If you have any travel plans to Britain and London in particular, cancel them now.

What I'm posting now has literally just been said by Boris and his advisers on Sky News. All we can do at this stage is hope the human cost is not massive and also that it does not have a further contagion effect to Ireland.

Boris Johnson, what a wXXker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

mloc123 wrote: »
    The tested rate or the total rate?

It is the official results. They are lacking testing kits. If there is a much higher figures they’ll be closing schools.
    I hope Boris and his government aren’t stuffing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

In Ireland people passively accept what the government dictates to them , not so it England, so they need to go at this with kid gloves

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Gardai on now about unmarked cars, community support largely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

cnocbui wrote: »
    One where the prognosis is terminal?

I don't think its terminal but regardless of that what spanner goes abroad during these strange days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

No mass gatherings but still not closing schools.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are they isolating all pensioners and at risk for 12 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

UK have taken their route, we've taken ours. Let's concentrate on ours shall we? Still a lot left to do and questions to be answered by Varadkar. And where is our caretaker Taoiseach exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

they aren't testing people so how do we know

They're testing nearly twice as many people as we are. They've tested 658 people per million, we have only tested 352.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I work in the civil service in a department that's having to deal with the huge deluge of claims coming in from people being currently laid off. Let's just say it's crazier than we've ever seen. We're all being asked to work overtime, forego pre-booked holidays/annual leave etc. That's fine, you do what needs to be done in times like this.

However, it also highlights the absolute pr*cks who work for the CS who are taking advantage of the crisis to take 'sick leave'. One such pr*ck who works in our office and rarely makes it in for a full week has just told us he's 'self-isolating' for the next two weeks due to having a cold and he's worried that this puts him at higher risk than the rest of us. This has been signed off by a doctor apparantly. I'm raging. Absolutely raging at the selfishness of it.

Sorry for venting. I'm just so upset that while the rest of us are working non stop, some having to leave their kids at home with elderly relatives, others being laid off from their jobs altogether, there are still selfish people like him out there willing to take advantage of the situation. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ES-JfRsXQAAIpJu?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Just back from the beach.

Was quieter than expected, thankfully, tide was on the way out. Very strong biting wind. The kids and dog had a good run around, although it was looking like a lock down was coming this week, it doesnt feel like it as much today. Restaurants/cafes look like closing tonight.

Driving through a few small towns in Cork I was annoyed to see mainly teenage lads congregate in groups of 3-5.

One man walked by us on the beach 20 yards away and we kept about 5 metres away from 2 kite surfers.

Anyway it was good to get away from it all for a couple of hours and get the ears frozen off me.

505862.jpg

Love walking that beach. The other half headed down there to bring the kids down to see the grandparents for the weekend. Sorry but she's a ****ing nutjob, putting her parents at risk like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

spookwoman wrote: »

I thought results in 48 hours :confused:

Kerry and Cork apparently have highest infected rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Seeing that we have so many posts now, is there anyone who has been tested positive on here? How are you coping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You can harvest lettuce after 1 month. Simple to grow.

Me no eat rabbit food. We need protein sources now. Lettuce is Nice to look at when plating up, but most of it is left behind.

Not knocking your info, but that’s reality.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

They are not testing

Which is terrible news for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Jpmarn wrote: »
    It is the official results. They are lacking testing kits. If there is a much higher figures they’ll be closing schools.
    I hope Boris and his government aren’t stuffing up.

But, I think the more interesting stats intead of looking at total cases or total cases per million etc.. is... What % of the tests carried out are showing positive cases.

Poorside wrote: »
    3 of my extended family in the UK have been confirmed positive, they were with their severely compromised mother yesterday, advice from NHS, stay indoors for 7 days.

Would any come on here for AMA please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭dmakc

jamesf85 wrote: »
    The reality is we need to clean up our act as a species. We have a terrible relationship with the planet. If someone from another world came to visit, they would see the human race as the biggest virus on the planet. The reason for this particular outbreak is because of the terrible conditions we have our livestock living in.

You really are clueless to compare the standards of our livestock industry to the back alleys of Wuhan. Clown comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I work in the civil service in a department that's having to deal with the huge deluge of claims coming in from people being currently laid off. Let's just say it's crazier than we've ever seen. We're all being asked to work overtime, forego pre-booked holidays/annual leave etc. That's fine, you do what needs to be done in times like this.

However, it also highlights the absolute pr*cks who work for the CS who are taking advantage of the crisis to take 'sick leave'. One such pr*ck who works in our office and rarely makes it in for a full week has just told us he's 'self-isolating' for the next two weeks due to having a cold and he's worried that this puts him at higher risk than the rest of us. This has been signed off by a doctor apparantly. I'm raging. Absolutely raging at the selfishness of it.

Sorry for venting. I'm just so upset that while the rest of us are working non stop, some having to leave their kids at home with elderly relatives, others being laid off from their jobs altogether, there are still selfish people like him out there willing to take advantage of the situation. :mad:

Why do you assume he's taking advantage of anything?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Stheno wrote: »
    Jesus they seem to be really downplaying it in this press conference

Very few people die. Less than 1% can they not do maths here?
    Look at the backgrounds of the people giving the UK govt advice. They are fixated on the concept that COVID-19 is a flu like corona virus epidemic, despite all the research and anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

They are not testing

Now impossible to quantify the number of cases in the UK.

This strategy puts our own at huge risk, given the massive numbers of people who cross back and forth between the two countries.

Its time for us to ban flights to and from the UK and the UK deserves to become the pariah of Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

saabsaab wrote: »
    Seeing that we have so many posts now, is there anyone who has been tested positive on here? How are you coping?

I feel like I’m infected after reading so much garbage

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I feel for you. I work in Illness Benefit myself, I'm noticing a distinct increase in absences in the office for us alright too. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

UK have taken their route, we've taken ours. Let's concentrate on ours shall we? Still a lot left to do and questions to be answered by Varadkar. And where is our caretaker Taoiseach exactly?

Considering they share a land border with us there's a good chance of us being impacted by their stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I saw an Irish dickhead who is on a cruise with his wife and he is worried they might not get back to Ireland for the start of his wive's cancer treatment. What fuking spanner goes on a cruise with a sick wife with all this around us. I have not had any trips abroad since I got diagnosed 3 years ago as that's what you do to protect your health.

Ah, what? I mean this guy shouldn’t have gone in this case but I’ve had cancer for five years and I’ve been on lots on holidays. My oncs encourage it actually. All the more reason to go on them, to be honest, as time is running out for me. In general, it’s not stupid to go on holiday if you have cancer and I take exception to you implying it is. You have to live life and those of us with terminal cancer fit treatments around our lives, not the other way round.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Italy: +3,233 cases and +349 deaths.

Fup me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Poorside wrote: »

7 days????

Fcuking moronic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Number if new cases is down is it? Surely some glimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Patd6

Why is our public transport eg luas still active? A haven for the spread. Well busy it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Would any come on here for AMA please

I'd doubt it, 2 are teenagers and their mother wouldn't exactly be the best source of info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Italy: +3,233 cases and +349 deaths.

Fup me!

Oh fuck.

• Advertisement

Self Isolating

ROI needs to close border for NI and UK, close airports and ports if possible

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Number if new cases is down is it? Surely some glimmer.

Down 200 new cases on yesterday.

Surge in deaths though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought results in 48 hours :confused:

Kerry and Cork apparently have highest infected rate

Well Cork anyway - not aware of any cases in Kerry to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

dmakc wrote: »
    You really are clueless to compare the standards of our livestock industry to the back alleys of Wuhan. Clown comment.

I'm saying humans have a terrible relationship with the planet. It wasn't a dig at any particular society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Why do you assume he's taking advantage of anything?

He has form. He has no 'cold' or anything else for that matter. Unless lazyitis is a medical condition.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Surge in deaths though.

Carnage.

Hopefully the reduced case rate is due to recent interventions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Stheno wrote: »
    Jesus they seem to be really downplaying it in this press conference

Very few people die. Less than 1% can they not do maths here?
    very acceptable, better then donkeys crying like a horde to do stuff and let gangs roam free, if they surpass annual flu deaths then maybe reconsider but atm, here and in uk theres f all issues to be worried about.

this been said to death virus will still be here 3-4 weeks later probably even a year or two, so at least they have free will and no spreading panic is better then some going hysteric, a lot in Ireland mentally ill, which isnt good to spread rumors and crap stats.

When even highest ranking top school scientists have no answers or clue, prevention or isolation wont solve this, some cry for beds or ventilators yet dont realize if one will need it they prob wont make it either-way, accept reality and move on, seems most that cant cope with, can't fight something that's invisible nor has a cure, sure put a bin bag over yourslef and stay home for few months but it will still be there even if not a single case reported, once everyone goes back to normal.

and no im not being selfish here as have plenty of family who have to be on front lines of this $hit, and they know risks but still keep clear head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭maebee

In answer to BBC journo, they are only "advising"ppl not to visit cinemas, care homes etc. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dummy_crusher

Surge in deaths though.

7.7% of total cases have died :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Social media and WhatsApp groups over the last few days

"I heard from a good source"
    "I have a mate who is friends with a Garda"
    "My sister's auntie used to go out with a soldier and told me this is fact"
    "My neighbour works for **insert any hospital name**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Italy numbers for last few days
    2547 250
    3497 175
    3590 368
    Today 3233 349

• Advertisement