Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

Patd6 wrote: »
    Why is our public transport eg luas still active? A haven for the spread. Well busy it is

This is perhaps because a cashier from your local shop does not get to work from home and has to get to work somehow. You are welcome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Any update from Spain today ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

It will become impossible for Ireland to flatten the curve if we import cases from the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

UK have taken their route, we've taken ours. Let's concentrate on ours shall we? Still a lot left to do and questions to be answered by Varadkar. And where is our caretaker Taoiseach exactly?

Did you miss the part where the island is split into two jurisdictions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

Down 200 new cases on yesterday.

Surge in deaths though.

I thought they were 368 on deaths yesterday?

Down from the 3,600 and 3500 of the last few days in cases as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

13% rise in cases in Italy. That's the lowest daily rise in quite a while so lockdown is starting to have an effect already.

Cases were rising by 25% daily pre lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

jamesf85 wrote: »
    I'm saying humans have a terrible relationship with the planet. It wasn't a dig at any particular society.

I'd have to say industrial farming is an abomination and meat is really overrated. I'm not even vegan but meat causes a lot of IBS flare ups for me in any case. Meat farming is a breeding ground for viruses. For the sake of the planet we need to collectively stop eating meat, we'll be healthier for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Boris Johnson and his puppets on the telly there promising “drastic action” which proceeded to be a few recommendations that people avoid going to the pub (if they feel like it), or that maybe people should avoid mass gatherings (if that takes their fancy). In other words; no state action whatsoever despite they themselves saying we’re in the process of a massive upswing of infection and subsequent deaths.

These people are absolutely asleep at the wheel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

spookwoman wrote: »
    Italy numbers for last few days
    2547 250
    3497 175
    3590 368
    Today 3233 349

Decrease in both news cases and deaths today, is it possible they've peaked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Why is our public transport eg luas still active? A haven for the spread. Well busy it is

Pretty much the only people going to work rn are people with no choice, and those people need some mode of transport. Those people include healthcare workers etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Italy: +3,233 cases and +349 deaths.

Fup me!

Mortality rate up to 7.7% from 7.3% yesterday...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Stheno wrote: »

Here’s hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I don't think its terminal but regardless of that what spanner goes abroad during these strange days?

Sometimes you have to take a walk in someone else's shoes to appreciate why they do things you don't understand.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Italy numbers for last few days
    2547 250
    3497 175
    3590 368
    Today 3233 349

We can only hope they've reached the peak. Many of those dead probably didn't make it to hospital and sadly died at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Patd6

Volthar wrote: »
    This is perhaps because a cashier from your local shop does not get to work from home and has to get to work somehow. You are welcome.
    Wise ass it's been done in other countries. Plenty of ways to get from a to b without using public transport and huge exposure eg subsidised taxi by employer. Burn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

BoJo the clown has now morphed into Backtrack Boris. The U.K. going down the W.H.O. recommendations route 1 week after Ireland. What a major fXXk up.

They're basically saving now that there will be an explosion of cases in Britain,London in particular in the next 2 weeks. If you have any travel plans to Britain and London in particular, cancel them now.

What I'm posting now has literally just been said by Boris and his advisers on Sky News. All we can do at this stage is hope the human cost is not massive and also that it does not have a further contagion effect to Ireland.

Boris Johnson, what a wXXker

That's Boris get out of jail card.
    He will blame the change of stance on the virus on Europe when it goes wrong

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's only one day so we'll have to wait to see if it is a downward trend but it's a glimmer of hope there. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Pistachio19

Here's a quick one, the mother inlaw is currently living with us,
    (Which is bad enough) Her brother is unwell and in Beaumont hospital (not corna ) she wants to go visit tonight , is it a good idea ?
    I'm worried sick if she catches something and brings it home and then I pass it on to my own parents who would be very vulnerable to the virus ,

Are visitors even allowed? I'd say no. Is there a way she can FaceTime/whatsapp video call him instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

We need to stop all flights to and from the UK ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

FTA69 wrote: »
    Boris Johnson and his puppets on the telly there promising “drastic action” which proceeded to be a few recommendations that people avoid going to the pub (if they feel like it), or that maybe people should avoid mass gatherings (if that takes their fancy). In other words; no state action whatsoever despite they themselves saying we’re in the process of a massive upswing of infection and subsequent deaths.

Pubs and restaurants can open here if they want also. No law against it.

Boogey man Boris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You'd need a few days of data to ascertain that. Certainly possible and the lock downs will start impacting on figures soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

BREAKING: Italy reports 3,233 new cases of coronavirus and 349 new deaths, raising total to 27,980 cases and 2,158 dead

At best their actions are stupid, at worst murderous. Including potentially for Ireland.

NI could be saturated with CV in a couple of weeks for all we know.

Loughc wrote: »
    Social media and WhatsApp groups over the last few days

"I heard from a good source"
    "I have a mate who is friends with a Garda"
    "My sister's auntie used to go out with a soldier and told me this is fact"
    "My neighbour works for **insert any hospital name**

It is just an old school chain letter. The earlier one about a lockdown at 11 was clearly made up by some idiot hoping people will rush on supermarkets. Kunts people who create these hoax email. I try to educate my friends to fact-check before sending on to all friends but I am losing the battle. Just got another one because a friend of a friend heard on bbc radio about a dancing pope video... this is fooken 5 years old chain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Necro wrote: »
    Aren't they only testing people hospitalised?

'they' have tested 44,000 people. How many have we tested again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I presume this is aimed at UK (and some other countries).

"Countries must test. They can't fight this blindly. They need to find cases and isolate them. So my message to the Health Ministers today was to invest in testing. They must be able to test all suspected cases. We advise countries to stick to testing and continue with containment strategies, because we believe this virus is controllable if the right measures are taken."

Dr. Tedros Adhanom, Director of WHO.
    It's possibly aimed at any countries fudging their figures. I've compiled a top-five ranking of the worst offenders, off the top of my head and in my opinion.

5. Ireland: As Stheno mentioned earlier, the DoH on Saturday said (in a very roundabout, confusing way which I misconstrued) that there is a 4-day turnaround for cases that are reported in the updates we get. We're uploading the second part of that press conference to YouTube now and people can see it for themselves.
    4. UK: Only severe cases in hospital are now being tested.
    3. USA: Potentially millions infected, mainly testing the likes of entire basketball teams
    2. Germany: Reporting underlying condition as cause of death
    1. China: Persistently lying about the state of the virus)

I'm not any kind of authority on this, but I have been watching everything that happens, especially in Ireland. I will post that video of the Irish briefing from Saturday in an hour when it uploads to YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is he terminal ? They won't let her or anyone in unless he is going to die soon. As least thats the way it is in my hospital.

He had a stroke a few das ago ,He is alive but that about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

7.7% of total cases have died :eek:

Older population will be part of that but probaly indicates theta the amount of people infected is grossly underestimated. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Boris is sounding awfully waffly ...

I'm hearing nice words and no detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭893bet

Let's not make any rash judgments on what statements are stupid and creating fear.

Same could have been said about thousands of post on here over the past 2 weeks which have proven to 100% accurate.

Maybe try see a little further than today / tomorrow.

As part of a different thread it’s a great suggestion.

As part of this one. Zero benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

I assume Italy have hit a limit of how many per day they can test which is why the number of new cases has leveled off?
    Not because Covid-19 has peaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dickdonk14

Thanks boris im now embarrassed to be english. Please ireland adopt me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

rafatoni wrote: »
    We need to stop all flights to and from the UK ASAP.

Do as New Zealand have done. Quarantine anyone flying into country for 14 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ES-JfRsXQAAIpJu?format=jpg&name=900x900

Shopped, and badly at that.

Wise ass it's been done in other countries. Plenty of ways to get from a to b without using public transport and huge exposure eg subsidised taxi by employer. Burn :)

Let's agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You’re absolutely bricking it that they might turn out to be right in the end. These kind of posts based on nothing but a ludicrous childish dislike of all things British are just cringe making.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

pH wrote: »
    'they' have tested 44,000 people. How many have we tested again?

Think up to Saturday it was 4300

They are doing 600 per day I think

The press conference at six will have figures iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,791 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

You can harvest lettuce after 1 month. Simple to grow.

Jesus you’ve changed your tone! Weren’t you taking the piss out of lads telling everyone to get prepared?
    Anyway planting veg is a good idea imo. I’ve two packs of seed potatoes gone into the ground with another 4 packs to stagger, amongst other veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

We can only hope they've reached the peak. Many of those dead probably didn't make it to hospital and sadly died at home.

Died at home? So new cases literally have no where to go and have to hope they can recover at home?

Is it still older age group with underlying that are passing away or is there any breakdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Boris doesn't get that the idiot chavs will be in the pub like our own idiot skangers/knacks were in the pub at the weekend. Look west boris and learn from our mistakes and close them now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

The UK are quoting number of tests carried out, not individuals tested, it may just be a semantic error but it could be a deliberate evasion.

The only significant figure is number of individuals tested not total number of tests, even on number of individuals, timing of test is the critical factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

josip wrote: »
    I assume Italy have hit a limit of how many per day they can test which is why the number of new cases has leveled off?
    Not because Covid-19 has peaked.
    As per italy news they expect to hit the peak there in aprox 2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

At best their actions are stupid, at worst murderous. Including potentially for Ireland.

NI could be saturated with CV in a couple of weeks for all we know.

What scientific evidence are you basing this on?

How did Varadkar, Coveney and Harris get on in their meeting with Arlene and O'Neill?

I saw a short clip of Arlene a couple of days again and surprisingly she seemed like she'd rather be in the boat with us than with Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

How this man is a leader i can never understand. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Communist officials in Wuhan caused the crisis by covering-up the earliest cases of infection and letting a pot-luck dinner take place.

Exactly like the UK are doing now?
    Maybe they were going for herd immunity too....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

This thread has been ruined by people continually whinging about Britain.

Close it down da feck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Pubs and restaurants can open here if they want also. No law against it.

Boogey man Boris

Have you been following the news? Pubs are closed. Restaurants and cafes to soon follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

No unfortunately not in my opinion, there just too many factors that could result in an apparent reduction of reported cases and deaths that could mean the reduction is an anomaly and not indicative of the true trend/pattern.

That’s not to say it isn’t true that the numbers might be reducing just that one days results really aren’t enough to show a decline, if however tomorrow and the day after we continue to see declines then that would be absolutely great news and here’s hoping!

But really one days results at this stage (coming from a place where people are undoubtedly in utter crisis) would have to taken with a grain of salt at this point imho.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

bdmc5 wrote: »
    Died at home? So new cases literally have no where to go and have to hope they can recover at home?

Is it still older age group with underlying that are passing away or is there any breakdown

According to the guardian, 15pc of those who died in IRAN were aged under 40.

Edit: corrected to Iran not Italy. Apologies.

Link in this tweet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement