Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I'm getting sick of these posts criticizing a foreign countries intervention, one might as well criticize Iceland's. We have issues here and I don't see enough critical appraisal of that. Just a morbid fixation on Boris and his cronies. If it was Corbyn you'd probably be praising him.

Ffs this is bullsh*t. We share an open land border with this 'foreign country' as you put it. Its not like comparing with Iceland. How many flights are there a day between London and Dublin alone? 178 on average, it's the busiest air route in Europe. The UK's response to this crisis is extremely relevant to Ireland and so far it's completely disastrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

Stheno wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that's good to hear your experience

As for the ferals, words fail me

Oh, forgot the results will be known in 48 hours, they will tell us if positive or not. The helpline had told me that they will only contact positive results in 72 hours and longer if negative. So now happy that it's actually 48 hours for both results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

bdmc5 wrote: »
    Thank you for taking the time to correct that post. The absolutely ridiculous misinformation from people be it honest mistake or not is unbelievable

It was Iran, can't find the original guardian article but read it there yesterday

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/irans-coronavirus-death-toll-jumps-113-day-200315200034111.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I think I read somewhere the median time from onset of symptoms to death has been shown to be about 14 days.

That means that the deaths today are likely to have had first symptoms maybe 14 days ago. Lets say it took 4 days to seek help and be diagnosed (that's generous), then we have another 10 days of increasing deaths even if new cases are falling.

I'd imagine that any experience gained, or lessons learned from the earlier cases would be outweighed by the increasingly stretched resources over those 10 days too.

From a "is the quarantine working" it's now all about new cases. Deaths unfortunately are probably going to skyrocket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The DOW and NASDAQ are both down about 9% so far. Anyone silly enough to be buying that bouncing dead cat this past week, is losing her/his shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm getting sick of these posts criticizing a foreign countries intervention, one might as well criticize Iceland's. We have issues here and I don't see enough critical appraisal of that. Just a morbid fixation on Boris and his cronies. If it was Corbyn you'd probably be praising him.

I absolutely will criticise the actions of the government under whom I live thanks. And considering the actions of said government also affects 20% of the country in which you live, separated from the state in which you live by a completely porous and invisible border - comparisons with Iceland are hardly accurate are they?

Corbyn is f*cking irrelevant here by the way, I’m agreeing with the WHO; I’m suspicious of the one lad in Europe who seems to be doing a Trump and thinks he has it all covered in contradiction to the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

China put Wuhan into lockdown on January 23rd.

Cases peaked in China on February 4th or 12th depending on different methods of testing.

Using same time period for Italy we should see cases peaking on Saturday 21st or Sunday 29th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Croke Park will serve as a drive-through testing facility:

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1239600307295977472

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

HSE Press release not until 8pm this evening ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Jeju wrote: »
    Oh, forgot the results will be known in 48 hours, they will tell us if positive or not. The helpline had told me that they will only contact positive results in 72 hours and longer if negative. So now happy that it's actually 48 hours for both results.

Hope it's good news for you!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

jos28 wrote: »

Where did you see that?

jos28 wrote: »

Presumably takes longer to process the increased volume of tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Whats also shocking from that is the subway pic from today
    ETN6DlbXkAIzfY-?format=jpg&name=small
    Thats absolutely insane if true.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Seamai wrote: »
    Hope it's good news for you!

i second that,

to anyone being tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

So lockdown in Italy hasn't made a difference yet ,

I think you can begin to see a difference.
    If you look at the trend they were on before the lockdown, you can see that the daily numbers are now starting to tail off.

[edit - makes sense for it to happen now, given the lockdown began a week ago and the average incubation time is around 5 days]

505872.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

Googled this 'herd immunity' thing and got this;

""To achieve herd immunity for measles at least 90-95% of the population need to be vaccinated. A disease like polio is less contagious, and 80-85% of the population would need to be vaccinated for herd immunity to work"

Where is the UK getting its '60%' figure from?

Based on the above 60% would suggest that Covid is not very contagious at all, yet we see Italy and Spain with huge contagion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Swords express bus service have put social distancing in place only 1 passenger for every 2 seats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Ref Italy numbers and checking against bno from 9th there has been a few drops and then picks up again
    9th 1797
    10 977
    11 2313
    12 2651
    13 2547
    14 3497
    15 3590
    16 3233

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Why do the UK media give Johnson such an easy ride?
    Soft questions all the way, no hard questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Would it be a good idea for anyone who goes outside to wear a mask? Seems to have had a positive effect in other regions and may halt the spread here.

Mind telling us where we get these masks or would you be one of the ones that has some of the ones nicked out of the hospitals ?
    We really need to see the Italian cases drop soon. It's a real test on how quarantine euro style will work. Unfortunately I expect the death rate to stay very high.

Will take weeks to really show.
    Croke Park will serve as a drive-through testing facility:

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1239600307295977472

Wouldn't go there in a fit.

Never had any fooking luck in the place.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

""To achieve herd immunity for measles at least 90-95% of the population need to be vaccinated. A disease like polio is less contagious, and 80-85% of the population would need to be vaccinated for herd immunity to work"

Based on the above 60% would suggest that Covid is not very contagious at all, yet we see Italy and Spain with huge contagion.

It's based on how many people someone infects cant explain it in detail though sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Been announced on Virgin media news that HSE briefing not until 8pm this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What time is the DOH press conference?

lmimmfn wrote: »

I am beginning to feel very anxious, sad and fearful for england as a whole, i have many relations there and some in italy also.

Italy trying to sort it out, england throwing their population to the wolves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

agreed, but given the lax approach from Irish society, that us in the very near future,

I fear for my country.

Well I went to the shop there, nobody is out. 3 or 4 of us in the shop. I think the reaction to this has been astonishing. Place is eerie it's so quiet. There is too much knocking of irish people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Why do the UK media give Johnson such an easy ride?
    Soft questions all the way, no hard questions.

Bit like here so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Stheno wrote: »
    Where did you see that?

TV3 News at 5.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Canada only taking in citizens and residents now.

Shn99 wrote: »
    Been announced on Virgin media news that HSE briefing not until 8pm this evening

Big jump in numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Here remember when the non-rat ratted on everyone earlier on? That was gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

td2008 wrote: »
    It was Iran, can't find the original guardian article but read it there yesterday

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/irans-coronavirus-death-toll-jumps-113-day-200315200034111.html
    Irian v Italy %

Iran
    dead/resolved 17.2
    dead/confirmed 4.8
    recovered/confirmed 23.27

Italy
    dead/resolved 4.23
    deaths/confirmed 6.81
    recovered/confirmed 9.43

WWide overall
    dead/resolved 8.01
    dead/confirmed 4.06

WWide -Iran
    dead/resolved 6.96
    dead/confirmed 3.63

WWide -Italy
    dead/resolved 5.83
    dead/confirmed 3.24

My figs based on John Hopkin Univ.

Assuming Iranian figures are accurate relatively, it seems possible two strains at work, one relatively lethal lowish R0, one milder but higher R0.

Big jump in numbers?

Possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Big jump in numbers?

Need time to get the army onto every street corner to make sure we all lockdown and go to bed by 9

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well I went to the shop there, nobody is out. 3 or 4 of us in the shop. I think the reaction to this has been astonishing. Place is eerie it's so quiet. There is too much knocking of irish people.

Thats great to hear, i wish you and everyone well with sincerity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

What was our number yesterday, 39 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ryanair have emailed "offering" the following for our Easter flights to Barcelona.

· You can now move your flight free of charge to a date in the future.
    · The flight change fee will be waived in full.
    · You will only have to pay the difference in fare.

I assume that when they do cancel these flights, we're entitled to a full refund?
    Would I also be correct in thinking that anyone who avails of their generous offer now, would no longer be able to claim a refund?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Why is there even a debate needed?

Either the UK know something the rest of the world can’t figure out , including a way that’s different to the ways the most effective countries and who would recommend or the UK are willing to gamble the lives of the old and vulnerable in a hypothetical scenario that nobody really knows will work and will only be clear after the carnage.

It’s easy to understand why a significant amount of people would be ok with that cause economy and jobs makes it ok to dump the burden on a disposable section of society. It’s remarkable what story people will make up to justify making horrific decisions that effectively writes off a proportion of a population. But here we are.......

statesaver wrote: »
    What was our number yesterday, 39 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Omackeral wrote: »
    Here remember when the non-rat ratted on everyone earlier on? That was gas.

Missed it.

Tell me now or lose me forever Omackeral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

FTA69 wrote: »
    Boris Johnson and his puppets on the telly there promising “drastic action” which proceeded to be a few recommendations that people avoid going to the pub (if they feel like it), or that maybe people should avoid mass gatherings (if that takes their fancy). In other words; no state action whatsoever despite they themselves saying we’re in the process of a massive upswing of infection and subsequent deaths.

These people are absolutely asleep at the wheel.

A Tory government can’t be seen no matter what the scenario to be anti business. They are propped up by the ‘City’... their long term ability to remain electable is based upon massaging their supporters the cash hungry and greedy money addicts so they are only thus far treating the problems tamely, too tamely.

I have the feeling that they are shît unlucky with who they have as a Prime Minister... as are we of course. From their point of view they might have been a lot better off with May, Blair, Cameron then this dope.

Right wingers.. “how do we help and protect the economy?”

Left... “ how do we help and protect the country?”

Big jump in numbers?

The most important stat will be whether the percentage of positive cases, rather than the actual number, increases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

cnocbui wrote: »
    The DOW and NASDAQ are both down about 9% so far. Anyone silly enough to be buying that bouncing dead cat this past week, is losing her/his shirt.
    Bonds are also down 5% no safe haven

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I have been talking to people in Italy, they are taking the lockdown seriously and if you are outside without a reason you will get a big fine. It will have an effect on the numbers getting the virus at some stage hopefully that is what we are seeing now but it may be too early to tell.

If Ireland goes into lockdown, they have to bring in fines if you're caught out. People won't take it seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well only 3% of wuhan got infected and 20% on the cruise so hard to tell how contagious it is. The diseases you mentioned affect the young at lot harder than cv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

lmimmfn wrote: »
    That's quiet for the Madrid metro and there is distancing!

Just to ask other poster - is this thread appear on page 2 of the main forum for you or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

I'm sorry I can't read back over much of this thread. Here are some of my observances from my own experiences and that of my close circle in the last few days.

1. Husband has family in Madrid and London. It is utterly bizarre on the family WhatsApp group with those in Spain in complete lock down, us in Ireland social distancing and trying to be good citizens and those in London packing their kids off to school and extracurricular activities today.

2. We were due to go to NY last Thursday morning with the kids for the trip of a lifetime. Thank **** we didn't head to the airport as it all kicked off when that plane was in the air. Anyway, I had been a member of a NY Travel group on FB for the last few months mostly frequented by members from the UK and a smaller cohort from Ireland .I couldn't look away over the weekend as idiot after idiot headed to Heathrow, Gatwick, Dublin etc to board their plane as they would no way miss out on this holiday. Some were sent straight home on the same bloody plane. For those there, their photos became eerier and eerier until they resembled scenes from 28 Days Later. They had travelled knowing Trump's ban was being extended but said the airlines had a duty of care to get them home. They then seemed surpised to get texts cutting their weird dystopian holiday short asking them to head straight to JFK. People are so, so stupid.

3. My elderly aunty has double pneumonia (non-virus related) and has been on a trolley for 2 days in a regional hospital and that's before this all escalates. How on earth will services cope?

4. A sign of the new normal coming our way: my mother's best friend died. Again not virus related, expected for the last few months. Nobody is allowed to attend her funeral apart from her family. It will be llve streamed.

This all feels so, so big. It's hard to imagine the world ever being the same again.
    Strangely, I'm in good form. Go figure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭themighty

It depends on how infectious the disease is. For very infectious diseases like measles it's 95%. One person would typically pass it to 9-18 people. Coronavirus is a good bit less infectious (2-4 people infected normally), so can get away with a lower herd immunity.

So avoiding the measles vaccination is particularly stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Shn99 wrote: »

Not sure I like the sound of that. Could there be a really big spike on the way? If there is it will focus minds on isolation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement