Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I am beginning to feel very anxious, sad and fearful for england as a whole, i have many relations there and some in italy also.

Italy trying to sort it out, england throwing their population to the wolves.

Oh come on - that picture is allegedly a recent one from Spain - nothing to do with England.

Have a look here (yea I know daily mail) for some pictures of UK mass transit from this morning.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8116059/Millions-workers-start-working-home-Britain-faces-coronavirus-crisis.html

This is very similar to what I saw this morning in Ireland, as of this morning mass internal transport (busses/LUAS/Dart/train) were all running in Ireland. And the fact that they were does not necessarily mean the Irish government is incompetent or doing eugenics on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Don’t call us , self isolate,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm sorry I can't read back over much of this thread. Here are some of my observances from my own experiences and that of my close circle in the last few days.

1. Husband has family in Madrid and London. It is utterly bizarre on the family WhatsApp group with those in Spain in complete lock down, us in Ireland social distancing and trying to be good citizens and those in London packing their kids off to school and extracurricular activities today.

2. We were due to go to NY last Thursday morning with the kids for the trip of a lifetime. Thank **** we didn't head to the airport as it all kicked off when that plane was in the air. Anyway, I had been a member of a NY Travel group on FB for the last few months mostly frequented by members from the UK. and a smaller cohort from Ireland I couldn't look away over the weekend as idiot after idiot headed to Heathrow, Gatwick, Dublin etc to board their plane as they would no way miss out on this holiday. Some were sent straight home on the same bloody plane. For those there, their photos became eerier and eerier until they resembled scenes from 28 Days Later. They had travelled knowing Trump's ban was being extended but said the airlines had a duty of care to get them home. They then seemed surpised to get texts cutting their weird dystopian holiday short asking them to head straight to JFK. People are so, so stupid.

3. My elderly aunty has double pneumonia (non-virus related) and has been on a trolley for 2 days in a regional hospital and that's before this all escalates. How on earth will services cope?

4. A sign of the new normal coming our way: my mother's best friend died. Again not virus related, expected for the last few months. Nobody is allowed to attend her funeral apart from her family. It will be llve streamed.

This all feels so, so big. It's hard to imagine the world ever being the same again.
    Strangely, I'm in good form. Go figure!

Aye, we're not in Kansas anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dummy_crusher

I don't understand why the HSE can't be tweeting this information itself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Think the Hse are delivering a lot more info including breakdown of cases by county today iirc from Saturday

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Loughc wrote: »
    Social media and WhatsApp groups over the last few days

"I heard from a good source"
    "I have a mate who is friends with a Garda"
    "My sister's auntie used to go out with a soldier and told me this is fact"
    "My neighbour works for **insert any hospital name**
    "I've seen all the posts they deleted on Boards"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

You can harvest lettuce after 1 month. Simple to grow.
    laugh wrote: »
    Not great for calorie count though.

Just trap the rabbits and snails that come looking for your lettuce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's quiet for the Madrid metro and there is distancing!

I think I'd walk 10km rather than deal with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

He has form. He has no 'cold' or anything else for that matter. Unless lazyitis is a medical condition.

Can your HR department not ask for a second opinion? I dunno what the law in Ireland is like but here a company can request a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭IQO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Bonds are also down 5% no safe haven

Liquidity is all dried up. It's 2008 all over again. Well, you know, that and a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

RTE saying a significant rise in cases expected this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

They are not closing pubs and clubs, hoping people will avoid them.

FFS if only they had a smaller neighbour with similar drinking culture as an example to see how this policy works out :confused:

Braindead fuks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Shn99 wrote: »

Shiit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

With all the supermarket have special hours for the elderly in the morning. I can imagine people getting granny or mammy to get trolley loads of shopping for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The most important stat will be whether the percentage of positive cases, rather than the actual number, increases.

Agreed. Number of tests and number of deaths are the more important stats. Number of new cases is a good indicator though too. All the stats are vital!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

4. A sign of the new normal coming our way: my mother's best friend died. Again not virus related, expected for the last few months. Nobody is allowed to attend her funeral apart from her family. It will be llve streamed!

That's the bit that saddens me the most :-(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

With all the supermarket have special hours for the elderly in the morning. I can imagine people getting granny or mammy to get trolley loads of shopping for them!

Maybe granny and mammy will do that anyway, they usually do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

josip wrote: »
    Ryanair have emailed "offering" the following for our Easter flights to Barcelona.

I assume that when they do cancel these flights, we're entitled to a full refund?
    Would I also be correct in thinking that anyone who avails of their generous offer now, would no longer be able to claim a refund?

Yep. If you make a new booking by way of rescheduling, it's a new booking so unless that subsequent flight is cancelled, you couldn't claim a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I see the 'fake car fleet story' is being reported now in mainstream media (yes it's true), like I said not everything posted here is fake news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Expecting a large number of cases this evening -rte, difference in calculus of cases

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Italian numbers staggering. (most exponential increases are)
    This is insane. The mortality rate not including those currently infected - 44% :eek:
    It's ramping up in other regions big time now.

Number currently infected 23073
    11 thousand in hospital
    1.8 thousand in intensive care

Concluded cases Post Disease (4907 )

2749 Alive. 56%
    2158 Dead. 44%

505876.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

One of the most useless and harmful industries, with an out-sized lobbying influence here and in the UK. No harm if a lot of them went to the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

BKtje wrote: »
    Can your HR department not ask for a second opinion? I dunno what the law in Ireland is like but here a company can request a second opinion.

At most, he'll get a warning. That's just how the CS works unfortunately.

There are always going to be people who abuse the sick leave system, it's just a shame they have no moral qualms about doing so during a crisis like this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Mr.S wrote: »
    So we're expecting a large increase in numbers tonight, right?

Probably yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

The piranhas need feeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Yea, way to go 'protecting' our elderly, send them all out shopping for us!
    (While the UK recommend 4 months total isolation at home for older people)
    (So I wonder who is really playing fast and loose with these people's lives?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

I see the 'fake car fleet story' is being reported now in mainstream media (yes it's true), like I said not everything posted here is fake news.

From the horses mouth:-

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1239586777758924804?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Has to be, they have really stepped up the amount of testing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

agreed, but given the lax approach from Irish society, that us in the very near future.
    Is Irish society actually being lax? Restaurants are empty everywhere and shutting down as a result.The off-quoted Temple Bar was highly likely made up of tourists and was then closed due to that same Irish society shouting it down. Plenty of people walking about but mostly in small family groupings (at least in St. Anne's anyway) and not really hanging around talking.

I think we're being fairly well behaved so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well 50 would be a big increase - people gnashing at the bit for 100+ new cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

BoJo the clown has now morphed into Backtrack Boris. The U.K. going down the W.H.O. recommendations route 1 week after Ireland. What a major fXXk up.

They're basically saving now that there will be an explosion of cases in Britain,London in particular in the next 2 weeks. If you have any travel plans to Britain and London in particular, cancel them now.

What I'm posting now has literally just been said by Boris and his advisers on Sky News. All we can do at this stage is hope the human cost is not massive and also that it does not have a further contagion effect to Ireland.

Boris Johnson, what a wXXker
    could be not him, but his advisers from civil service
    https://twitter.com/GenevieveRobert/status/1237382441834291200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Rte live blog says it's expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

So I have a cough that is not going away for almost two weeks, do I contact my GP tomorrow seeing as the criteria for testing has been broadened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Shn99 wrote: »

Rte have said that before and been wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Announcement delayed until 8, according to the lady on the Nuacht.

doesn't negate the fact that most of it was complete rubbish and the ones like the complete lockdown resulted in many gullible idiots going out to clear the shelves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Seamai wrote: »
    I can see this being an issue in many work places, these sort of people are everywhere. 4 weeks ago were jokingly taking bets on how long it would be before our resident work shy colleague would use COVID19 as an excuse to take time off work, even though most of us are taking her claims of infection with a grain of salt, people are still worried. I had a bug last week (the other end, no worries) and worked from home, I haven't taken a sick day in over 18 months and this one doesn't give a flying fúck about her colleagues

There will be others as more deaths are announced. People will put their own and their families welfare first especially if they have to interact with the public without protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

For those wondering about why bother testing , you don’t know how many are infected or how quickly it’s moving if you don’t test. You also don’t have an accurate death rate either.

If we tested 100,000 people and there were 50,000 infected and 5000 died, this looks like maybe a 10% death rate. But let’s say another country tests 1,000,000 people , with 400,000 infected and the same death rate, at least we know the death rate is much lower at 0.25%.

Also if you are not testing a lot of people will keep spreading the virus, particularly if the have little symptoms or at early stage of transmission. There really is no other way to interpret the UKs strategy other then a reckless regard for healthworkers and elderly/vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Big jump in numbers?

I'd go for 100+ new in ROI only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So I have a cough that is not going away for almost two weeks, do I contact my GP tomorrow seeing as the criteria for testing has been broadened?

Yes, give them a call. It's the only person that can give you medical advice on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

IQO wrote: »

That’s a good idea, if it was just a center to facilitate the region, ie. the east of the country... there should be similar centers set up in Cork, Limerick, Galway, Donegal and the midlands.... have many more people descending on Dublin doesn’t seem practical or well thought out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No.

Contact your vet immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Tesco talking about 0700/0800 to 0900 being for older people. Do they think we don't drink?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Italian numbers staggering. (most exponential increases are)
    This is insane. The mortality rate not including those currently infected - 44% :eek:
    It's ramping up in other regions big time now.

You would have to wonder is that as a result of the Lombardy exodus in advance of lock down there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought markets and marts would be cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'd go for 100+ new in ROI only

I'd say eleventy billion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

how mqny is it were way past 6 now !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

youtube! wrote: »
    how mqny is it were way past 6 now !

Announcement delayed until 8pm this evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement