Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Number of new cases is a subjective figure
    Only thing clear for ireland is we just started the peak here so keep strong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

youtube! wrote: »
    how mqny is it were way past 6 now !

Announcement delayed til 8pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/RTUKnews/status/1239584711346769920

Hanging out in Spain...sweet Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

fritzelly wrote: »
    Well 50 would be a big increase - people gnashing at the bit for 100+ new cases

Maybe someone in government got infected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Some really shocking behaviour by certain British tourists in Spain who are just giving lip to police who are trying to clear beaches and minimise risk.

I was just thinking that because of the self selection bias of some of those groups, there’s an actual possibility they are oblivious to the news. I know I encountered a very football hooligan type holiday resort in Spain once and it was just a bubble of utter ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Announcement delayed until 8pm this evening.

So boards crash delayed until 20.00 and two seconds

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Mr.S wrote: »
    So we're expecting a large increase in numbers tonight, right?

Yeah, but given the faster testing turnaround and greater capacity that's a good thing in some senses. I'd rather know about the whole iceberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

youtube! wrote: »
    how mqny is it were way past 6 now !

oh definitely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Announcement delayed until 8pm this evening.

They are televising a key game of solitaire before it , so delayed the presser

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'd go for 100+ new in ROI only

Well we are at 179 and expecting it to double every three days at the moment so 100 wouldn't be unexpected as they catch up on testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Gintonious wrote: »

If ever there was a stereotypical picture of Brit abroad, that's it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Xertz wrote: »
    Some really shocking behaviour by certain British tourists in Spain who are just giving lip to police who are trying to clear beaches and minimise risk.

I was just thinking that because of the self selection bias of some of those groups, there’s an actual possibility they are oblivious to the news. I know I encountered a very football hooligan type holiday resort in Spain once and it was just a bubble of utter ignorance.

Disappointing but no surprise that English lager lout types let themselves and their nation down again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I work in the civil service in a department that's having to deal with the huge deluge of claims coming in from people being currently laid off. Let's just say it's crazier than we've ever seen. We're all being asked to work overtime, forego pre-booked holidays/annual leave etc. That's fine, you do what needs to be done in times like this.

However, it also highlights the absolute pr*cks who work for the CS who are taking advantage of the crisis to take 'sick leave'. One such pr*ck who works in our office and rarely makes it in for a full week has just told us he's 'self-isolating' for the next two weeks due to having a cold and he's worried that this puts him at higher risk than the rest of us. This has been signed off by a doctor apparantly. I'm raging. Absolutely raging at the selfishness of it.

Sorry for venting. I'm just so upset that while the rest of us are working non stop, some having to leave their kids at home with elderly relatives, others being laid off from their jobs altogether, there are still selfish people like him out there willing to take advantage of the situation. :mad:

First off, well done to you and your colleagues. The turn around time and amounts processed is very impressive. I hope people remember this when it comes to public sector bashing.

Secondly, also a civil servant and we have one of those too. He pi**es off at the first sign. He is going to milk this for every bit of leave he can get.

Already the excuses of someone he knows has it, kids need minding, cant work from home either as kids etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

Quite literally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭jackboy

Reported numbers of infected probably irrelevant at this stage. Numbers seeking treatment in hospitals are the figures to watch from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

jmayo wrote: »

Wouldn't go there in a fit.

Never had any fooking luck in the place.

Checks username. Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So I have a cough that is not going away for almost two weeks, do I contact my GP tomorrow seeing as the criteria for testing has been broadened?

Call your GP asap if possible and isolate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

RTE reconfirming on the 6.1 that there'll be a major jump, preparing us all so we don't go loco.

Narrator: They all went loco.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

About 6.9% deathrate from the 2019/2020 flu season in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

Well Cork anyway - not aware of any cases in Kerry to date.

Thought 2 GPs got it near Waterville?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

The UK strategy is very foolish.

I think we could see NI's numbers surpassing the ROI numbers in the next couple of weeks!

Herd immunity my a**! (More like mass murder!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

The Italian figures are horrifying. Hopefully we acted soon enough.
    We are approximately where Italy was on 23rd February, we really want to see our numbers start falling off the Italian trajectory in the next 7 days. Let's hope "andrà tutto bene" for both Ireland and Italy,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Croke park to be used as invite only drive-thru testing centre

Significant increase in infected numbers tonight
    RTE saying between 600-700 cases expected by end of week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Ffs this is bullsh*t. We share an open land border with this 'foreign country' as you put it. Its not like comparing with Iceland. How many flights are there a day between London and Dublin alone? 178 on average, it's the busiest air route in Europe. The UK's response to this crisis is extremely relevant to Ireland and so far it's completely disastrous.

Completely disagree. You don't like their response? That's your opinion. They've taken a path, it may or may not work. We've taken a path, it may or may not work. Either way we are financially screwed. It doesn't matter a whit what the UK does there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Fergal Bowers said he has been told it wouldnt be unexpected if we had 600-700 cases in Ireland by the end of this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I think we could see NI's numbers surpassing the ROI numbers in the next couple of weeks!

And more fool us for not shutting the border while they carry on that way in NI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

maybe dominic cummings has the right plan after all..the uk needs a cull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Croke Park drive through testing, get in HSE And our authorities ...

Playing a stormer, so impressed with how they are moving up the gears. And our revenue and other services trying to anticipate benefits and other supports people will need, I know it’s scary stuff but I think our country is being really pro active to help where it can...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

leavingirl wrote: »
    About 6.9% deathrate from the 2019/2020 flu season in the US.

Source? That would confirm that they are hiding it and letting their people die. I hope not as it would only get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Call your GP asap if possible and isolate

No temperature so thought I was fine. Looked up symptoms and fever seems to be the most common one. Heard on radio today that even with respiratory conditions should contact GP. Will ring first thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Regarding the British response, isn't it blatantly obvious that they are now starting their backtrack? Why keep rowing about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

18 new deaths today UK.

High compared to other countries particularly Germany.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

When all this blows over, it wouldn't surprise me if we have to get a health check before travelling. Animals need health checks before flying, so why not humans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

GM228 wrote: »

You didn't include the bit that's relevant to the fake story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Drumpot wrote: »
    Croke Park drive through testing, get in HSE And our authorities ...

Playing a stormer, so impressed with how they are moving up the gears. And our revenue and other services trying to anticipate benefits and other supports people will need, I know it’s scary stuff but I think our country is being really pro active to help where it can...

Gotta hand it them alright. They definitely have saved some lives.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yeah, but given the faster testing turnaround and greater capacity that's a good thing in some senses. I'd rather know about the whole iceberg.
    Exactly. The more testing we do, the better. The quicker the turnaround time on those tests, the better. It might help if we were kept updated on the numbers in ICU too because that could focus people on the risks when you contract the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Completely disagree. You don't like their response? That's your opinion. They've taken a path, it may or may not work. We've taken a path, it may or may not work. Either way we are financially screwed. It doesn't matter a whit what the UK does there.

I haven't seen a single medical expert around the world agree with their approach. Not just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Nijmegen wrote: »
    And more fool us for not shutting the border while they carry on that way in NI.
    2 on 2 off at each border road should do it! That's about 1600 troops.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Italian numbers staggering. (most exponential increases are)
    This is insane. The mortality rate not including those currently infected - 44% :eek:
    It's ramping up in other regions big time now.

Number currently infected 23073
    11 thousand in hospital
    1.8 thousand in intensive care

Concluded cases Post Disease (4907 )

2749 Alive. 56%
    2158 Dead. 44%

Why exclude Active cases?

Total Cases: 27,980
    Total Deaths: 2,158 = 7.7%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Shn99 wrote: »
    Fergal Bowers said he has been told it wouldnt be unexpected if we had 600-700 cases in Ireland by the end of this week

someone work out the maths? around 50 today so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I agree it's a really terrible strategy by the UK but I would say the NI number might stay fairly low due to lack of testing unless pretty already ill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No figures today?

My whole family live in or close to Drumcondra, I’m there a lot. Bit scary having a drive through test centre so close to home. It’s literally less than 30 second walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

18 new deaths today UK.

High compared to other countries particularly Germany.

It's certainly worth looking at what the Germans are doing right, their toll is kept very low so far, lives being saved. What are the differences in treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

walshb wrote: »
    No figures today?

Around 8pm according to Fergal Bowers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

gmisk wrote: »
    I agree it's a really terrible strategy by the UK but I would say the NI number might stay fairly low due to lack of testing unless pretty already ill

Didn't they 180 on it today anyway and start locking stuff down? I mean it may be too late but it is better than continuing on their previous strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Tootsie_1

No figures today?

Not till 8 today for some reason

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

If the number of new cases is going to be as high as reported surely the lockdown has to be ramped up as soon as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

No figures today?

8 o'clock.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement