Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

My whole family live in or close to Drumcondra, I’m there a lot. Bit scary having a drive through test centre so close to home. It’s literally less than 30 second walk away.

Probably why they are saying no walk ins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Hurrache wrote: »
    You didn't include the bit that's relevant to the fake story.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1239607154572754946?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

walshb wrote: »
    No figures today?

Not yet, 8pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Nijmegen wrote: »
    And more fool us for not shutting the border while they carry on that way in NI.

The former border on this island cannot be shut. The resources aren't there and anything that is will be needed soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Why exclude Active cases?

Total Cases: 27,980
    Total Deaths: 2,158 = 7.7%

Is usual to do a death rate based on closed cases as for the active ones we don't know how it's going to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

People moan about our government but Christ almighty I'm happy Coveney (Leo) is running the show. Coveney really is a class act who is a real calm leader in crisis. Funnily enough in the face of a crisis it seems Sinn Fein, not surprisingly have gone into hiding.

Fair play to our government for acting quickly, and transparently. There are things they should have done better such as screening the influx back from Cheltenham but all in all the response has been mostly excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

RobertKK wrote: »
    Around 8pm according to Fergal Bowers.

Just saw that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Anyone else got a sneaking suspicion that there is a lot they aren't telling us about this virus? How are young health professionals dying from it? Over exposure? I don't get it, I thought if you get it you are then immune to it. Please forgive my ignorance if this has already been discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

My whole family live in or close to Drumcondra, I’m there a lot. Bit scary having a drive through test centre so close to home. It’s literally less than 30 second walk away.

A c'mon, people will stay in their cars so almost zero risk unless you go over hugging them. No time for Nimbyism now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

People moan about our government but Christ almighty I'm happy Coveney (Leo) is running the show. Coveney really is a class act who is a real calm leader in crisis. Funnily enough in the face of a crisis it seems Sinn Fein, not surprisingly have gone into hiding.

Fair play to our government for acting quickly, and transparently. There are things they should have done better such as screening the influx back from Cheltenham but all in all the response has been mostly excellent.

SF are very quiet alright..

Is it because they may have to work with FG and god forbid, maybe back them up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No figures today?
    At 8 today

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Equally notcied that SF are gone very silent.Might just be that they recognise they have no place in this but for people who were about to start running the country (in their heads) it is interesting alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭millb

fits wrote: »
    Yes. I’ve heard of people being redeployed to assist with training for contact tracing.

Too late for that - was not done for Italian / Austrian ski resort return flights. Spreaders / Italian rugby visitors or Cheltenham folks.

Maybe they could be trained to spray / check / test returning Spanish exiles later this week..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

Forgive any ignorance but why the huge interest in the confirmed cases at this stage.

We know the virus is here and given that so many will recover surely the the amount who have passed away is more relevant over coming weeks to show how we are coping.

Numbers from Italy are somewhere we'll never go hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

All opposition parties have backed up the medical advice.
    They literally cannot do anything, they are not in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭0127647

so welfare applications need to be printed and posted in

nice to see dept of welfare is stuck in 1970 ffs

how long will it take to process 140000 hand written forms

if unions were obliging previously this should be doable online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Could lockdown be announced at 8 along with the figures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

No worse than Mayo fans visiting.

Anyone else got a sneaking suspicion that there is a lot they aren't telling us about this virus? How are young health professionals dying from it? Over exposure? I don't get it, I thought if you get it you are then immune to it. Please forgive my ignorance if this has already been discussed.

If you get the virus, your body may start building an immunity to it, the problem is the resulting disease. Immunity helps prevent future infection, it is not a cure to the damage already done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

trapp wrote: »
    Forgive any ignorance but why the huge interest in the confirmed cases at this stage.

We know the virus is here and given that so many will recover surely the the amount who have passed away is more relevant over coming weeks to show how we are coping.

It's the numbers that the system can cope with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

leavingirl wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the Toyota Corona virus. Oh, and before you call me names the data is from our friends in the CDC.

6.9% deathrate from the flu in the US this 2019/2020 flu season.

https://www.contagionlive.com/news/us-flu-cases-reach-32-million-pediatric-hospitalization-rates-hit-record-high

That nonsense figure was quoted a few threads back, it's not even remotely correct.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

No figures today?

Due to be announced at 8pm with a significant increase expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Well its obvious that the reason for the delayed announcement is because the figure has reached a pre-arranged agreement which will see our country taking more stringent steps so expect a big number increase (around 100) and also a new strategy to cope with it. My opinion is lockdown .

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

givyjoe wrote: »
    That nonsense figure was quoted a few threads back, it's not even remotely correct.

The CDC are lying?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Is usual to do a death rate based on closed cases as for the active ones we don't know how it's going to end.

Ok so the death rate is pretty meaningless right now then until all cases are resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No. In any case it would leak long before and it is the Taoiseach that would announce it, not the DOH.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Tootsie_1

SF are very quiet alright..

Is it because they may have to work with FG and god forbid, maybe back them up?

Mary Lou was just on the news there not long ago ? They can’t run the show they have to let FG handle it which they are. I’ve seen Mary more the last week than I’ve seen MIcheal Martin ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭flashforward

Due to be announced at 8pm with a significant increase expected.

Can this press conference be viewed somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,319 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If the number of new cases is going to be as high as reported surely the lockdown has to be ramped up as soon as possible.

We're not far off a major lockdown in practise already.

The steep jump in cases is now underway.....time for maximum vigilance in the next 7 days and treating every person you meet as potentially having the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

trapp wrote: »

The only difference so far is time, and population size. We're on the very same track, that's why drastic action is so vital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Imagine Shinners were in Power would be concentrating all their efforts to get a united Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I agree that FG are doing well here at.

But what's this bs about SF? Wtf would you expect them to do or say? Are they any less visible than FF, Greens, SocDems, Labour, Militant Tendency/Trotskyite International, &c? I mean the middle of an international and national crisis but sure don't let the opportunity to have a go at SF pass. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dummy_crusher

0127647 wrote: »

Don't you have a public services card and a mygov.ie account?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

:confused:

Sinn Fein AND Finna Fail have backed off because they know there's more important **** happening right now than playing politics.

It's insane people think that sort of thing should even be on anyone's radar. Right now, the focus should be on providing all the support they can to those currently in charge. Neither can do anything other than help pass whatever measures are nessecary.

If they were out trying to undermine Leo, would you be happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,319 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, RTE News Now will show it live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What's scary? You'll not catch it from people driving past you. ;)

RTE News Now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭WildWater

Boris late to the party and still manages to come with one arm as long as the other.

This guy would have been right at home at the Somme in 1916. 'Right lads over the top. Now, where's my tea.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'd say RTE News Now channel and god forbid, the RTE Player <best of luck with that one>

• Advertisement

Imagine Shinners were in Power would be concentrating all their efforts to get a united Ireland

A united Ireland is exactly what we need at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Why exclude Active cases?

Total Cases: 27,980
    Total Deaths: 2,158 = 7.7%

Because they can go either way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Depending on how high they are possible but unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭little bess

I thought they have an online application option now, no?
    Sure lots of people wouldn't even have printers, I know we don’t, it recently broke and we haven’t replaced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Most applications are doable online: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/claiming_a_social_welfare_payment/applying_for_social_welfare_payments_and_services_online.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I feel so sorry for all the clowns who were looking forward to having a histrionic breakdown once today's numbers were announced by the HSE.

They have to wait an entire 2 hours now before they can exaggerate how dreadful the increase is and blame the government on everything...oh yeah and blame the Brits, Pub Owners, Teenagers, Donald Trump, Italy, Spain and China and racing fans ..., how awful. Honorable mention to Dub bashers, it is only a matter of time really ( I actually started Cork bashing last night, I didn't want to leave them out tbh)

Hang tough imbeciles. Your time will come ( in about 1 hour 40 mins ).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

I agree that FG are doing well here at.

But what's this bs about SF? Wtf would you expect them to do or say? Are they any less visible than FF, Greens, SocDems, Labour, Militant Tendency/Trotskyite International, &c? I mean the middle of an international and national crisis but sure don't let the opportunity to have a go at SF pass. FFS.

Not a fan of Sinn Fein but totally agree Cilldara. Time for doing what needs to be done, not political sniping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It's certainly worth looking at what the Germans are doing right, their toll is kept very low so far, lives being saved. What are the differences in treatment?

A good health service with sh** loads of ventilators/respirators.
    They might be keeping hundreds on life support?

Why do you think a British minister was on TV yesterday begging British industry to start manufacturing them ?

Although it shows how fooked up the British government is that they are supposedly asking car manufacturers and JCB to make them. :confused:

If these numbnuts were in charge during the war they would have had Hovis making tanks and Austin making parachutes.

BTW we are in serious trouble with our measily numbers.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Regarding the British response, isn't it blatantly obvious that they are now starting their backtrack? Why keep rowing about it?

Because the results their demented efforts to spread the virus will not be seen for about 10 to 14 days.

I don't give a flying f*ck what they do on their own island.

But they are wrecking all our efforts to contain the virus by their lack of action in Northern Ireland.

It's not the first time the Brits have screwed us over you know !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I really think the communication and information handling strategy is not working. People want as much information as possible, and if it's not available from the official sources then they will seek it out elsewhere- some correct, a lot incorrect. That's how people behave, expecting otherwise is just denying reality, so officials have to take a lot of the blame for this sharing of misinformation.

Also this holding back of information until evening time, and then delaying even further so it's unpredictable, is increasing anxiety unnecessarily. None of this seems to be in line with WHO recommendations on how to keep people on side with open, honest and regular communication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I feel so sorry for all the clowns who were looking forward to having a histrionic breakdown once today's numbers were announced by the HSE.

They have to wait an entire 2 hours now before they can exaggerate how dreadful the increase is and blame the government on everything...oh yeah and blame the Brits, Pub Owners, Teenagers, Donald Trump, Italy, Spain and China and racing fans ..., how awful. Honorable mention to Dub bashers, it is only a matter of time really ( I actually started Cork bashing last night, I didn't want to leave them out tbh)

Hang tough imbeciles. Your time will come ( in about 1 hour 40 mins ).

Apt username is apt.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement